Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I'd possibly appreciate Ireland more if the public transport wasn't a steaming pile of ****e and I could get around to do stuff - i'm sure there's cool things to see and do I just can't get to.

Everyone's obsessed with owning a car, everything else is ****, esp in Galway - trains, buses, cycle lanes, it barely even caters for pedestrians ffs.
    I'd learn but it's bloody expensive,takes forever to get your license and half the instructors can't fecking drive themselves. I prefer a more eco-friendly mode of transport anyway.
    Can't stand the binge drinking culture or the way there's nothing to do at night but the pub, much prefer Spains approach.
    Can't stand the way many Irish lads talk about women.
    Irish are often nowhere near as funny as they think they are.
    Very hard to get anything done on skills/experience here - it's all who you know.
    Apartments are all ****e and made of paper.
    It's bloody expensive to eat & drink here

I do like my girlfriend and some of the people I've met here though, they're great & great fun to be around.
    Cork is rather nice.
    Galway's a great place for Marine stuff, which is what I'm studying/interested in.

All in all I'll be here for a few more years but I'm distincly underwhelmed with the place and can't see myself settling here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

oooomy wrote: »
    It's ****E being irish! We're the lowest of the fecking low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. It's a ****e state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world won't make any f'ing difference!

watch trainspotting much?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

The humour. Puns are not funny. Sarcastic slagging is not funny. We're not funny.

The belligerence. We don't have to automatically disagree with everything just for the sake of it. Just admit we're wrong.

The ugliness. We're ugly as sin. I can barely look at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Aw, I love it, everyones totally relaxed most of the time even the trains and buses and the Irish channels are never on time, never in a rush! We're just a totally relaxed nation, although thats not always good! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ruthies

I love Irish dancing,Stew,when you can go into a shop and you get a smile and a how are you,go down the country and get treated with respect and like a local.The views we have here amazing.Our history.The friendliness of a neighbour or a stranger.Our music.
    Need help and you will get it.Wont get turned away from a hospital simple because you cant afford it.Even if it is a case on a trolley you will still be allowed to get treatment.Homeless what ever you will get it.
    Hasn't turned into a country were a person would step over someone they would check if they are ok and if not ring a ambulance or police.
    I hope we never get to that stage ever become a materialistic inhumane society.
    Also we have never gone into another country and tried to take over and massacre a whole ethnicity because we didn't like them.
    Brittas bay :)
    I love all the counties so much to see and do and enjoy.

If everyone was to look at the bad points of their countries it would be the same except for the weather.But i hear people from other countries complain about how their heat is to much and love the Irish weather.

So proves the point some Irish are the biggest whingers in world :D And just never happy about anything unless they have something to cry about waaaa waaaaaa :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

kiwi123 wrote: »
    and the no panic attitude to the fire alarm :)
    Haha, yeah in our school when the fire alarm goes off no one moves and the teacher continues class until the fire alarm stops, but this is mainly because people used to deliberately hit the fire alarms on purpose so everyone ignores it now. I'd hate to think what would happen to us if they was a real fire! :eek:
    cypharius wrote: »
    Then not on my Firefox, will you please just leave me alone now? I misspelled a word... Do you care THAT much?

That's strange it should be there at the top of the page, a small box that says abc check with a green tick beside the abc, just click it. :) Not picking on you or anything just thought I'd help out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Red lemonade FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ruthies

Anita Blow wrote: »
    How hard is it to stick to the topic a thread which is titled "What do you love about Ireland?"
    Seriously..do you guys just scan the forums for any positive topics about the country and automatically feel the need to jump in and put a downer on it?

My 2 biggest loves are the scenery and the community side of life; The way the whole country can get behind a person/group just because their Irish. Like those conjoined twins from Cork a few months ago. The whole country got behind them.

ere ere :cool:
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 izzy93

Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 feikennyw

very true i mean ir doesnt matter wat country ur from its etremely easy to point out the faults and say our government are useless but imagine livin in the great super power USA, healthcare anyone??anyone wanna head off to Sudan for a dirty weekend?Greece fora kick ass holiday?Afghanistan will blow your mind!seriously we have a lot to be thankful for so lets be Eire friendly for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

gaelic football....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

You only appreciate the place when you're away. Thats the great thing about this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    Red lemonade FTW!

TK red lemonade :D

I thought i would'nt miss the place when i went travelling North America but to be honest I desperatly missed alot of things .

The craic mainly , friendlyness , proper tea , decent telly (as much as we complain about it , its not as bad as constant 'the young and the restless') , folk willing to give you a hand when your in trouble .

I hated the super serious attitudes to work , money , having to get married and have a proper career before 30 .....I could go on all day ..

It was'nt all bad abviously but there IS a certin sense of community that most of us have that N . America just didn't .

Oh i almost forgot ... I did miss 'ah sure it'l be grand ' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

You only appreciate the place when you're away. Thats the great thing about this country.

tbh i never feel that way, you always see even more so how bad it is when you're somewhere that's close to functioning and i always get that sinking feeling when you look out the plane window and realise you're back, i'd stay living abroad but i need to finish my studies here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

When Im in Ireland, I long to travel the world, when Im travelling the world I long for Ireland!

I cant win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

brummytom wrote: »

* Sense of humour - Dylan Moran, Tommy Tiernan (early stuff), Dara O'Briain, Black Books, Father Ted, IT Crowd vs Lee Evans, Peter Kay, My Family. You've got a brilliant, and quite unique sense of humour; AH at times is testament to this No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I used to hate it. And there are things I still despise but my god, it is beautiful. And 99% of my favourite people in the world are here, so I'm thankful for this place. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

A few things I love about Ireland.............
    Being charged €9.50 a day to park the car at the airport.
    Farmers tans in the summer time.
    Smelly knackers driving around in brand new vans.
    The way people from Dublin think that anyone who doesnt live in Dublin, goes around in wellies, eats raw turnips, and uses baling twine as a belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

you always see even more so how bad it is when you're somewhere that's close to functioning and i always get that sinking feeling when you look out the plane window and realise you're back
    Maybe you should put things into perspective and compare Ireland to countries that actually aren't functioning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

seraphimvc wrote: »
    bored of this country atm.seriously,how can people never think of do some change or make life better?

And your idea of change is to leave. Great.
    same old chips and drinks for all these years.man,culture is not diversed is a thing,but people really lack of passion in life. can people please try something new/different thing???
    We definitely don't "lack passion in life", no idea how you imagined that one up tbh. I agree with you about our eating habits alright, not very imaginative at all. Guinness and Jameson whiskey are world-renowned brands, so I think we got that right (even if we do overindulge on the stuff).
    (ya,and the ****ing wind is so STRONG here!!!)
    Try New Orleans so, hopefully there won't be a repeat of Hurricane Katrina.

What I love about this country the most are the places and the scenery. Ballycotton on a summer's day, and having a pint in the beer garden in The Blackbird. West Cork, Kerry and The West of Ireland are such beautiful places. I really hope we get a good summer this year, you really appreciate this country so much more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I love the weather, honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

It has some beautiful scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

What do I love about Ireland? My family, my mum, my dad, my uncles and aunts, my cousins, my late grandparents (God rest their souls), my nephews and nieces. They all live there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 steve1875

Its a great place to live, i've been here 3 years now and i love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

I love Ireland but not for any particular reason. I guess because I'm born here and it's part of who I am.

Things that I love:
    Summer months(nothing better than a hazy summer evening playing football on the green until dark)
    Living by the sea
    My friends

Ireland doesn't love ignorant nobs who think they look down on other Irish people (North Dublin people and country people).

I love nice Irish people from any part of Dublin/country ,not the location they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

ieH wrote: »
    Irish Whiskey :D
    How could I forget that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The guinness obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

PK2008 wrote: »
    When Im in Ireland, I long to travel the world, when Im travelling the world I long for Ireland!

I cant win

It reminds of some people who never seem to know whether they're comin' or goin' Why not organise a toss? You'll feel better for it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

You're all a bunch of nationalist freaks!

All 171 (and counting) of you!

;)

Advertisement