Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If the M50 and N7 are anything to go by, then no, we dont need the extra 20kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What?? That attitude makes no sense for intercity routes as if all the different routes were regarded as such then you'd be turning a 2.5hr journey into a 3hr one... It's hardly an insignificant amount if you start applying it to all areas. Accidents at 120kph on motorways are rare in comparison to the roads that have 100kph speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think 120kmh should be fine on the M1, especially on the carriageway that has 3.65m lanes - the extra bit of space really does make a difference.

Remember the lanes on the M50 are narrower than 3.5m - I'm not sure of their exact width but they are definitely narrower than 3.5m.

I actually think lane discipline on the M50 and Lucan BP has improved a little bit in the last while. However, further improvement is certainly still needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

It's now 100 Km/h southbound from just before the new lane starts. Looks like the poles for the new speed limits where put up in a hurry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

All 3-lane DCs and motorways in Ireland should be max 100kmh, only because Irish drivers cant be trusted with lane discipline for 120.
    The attitude that something should be illegal because people can't be trusted is pretty repressive, Chris. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Anyone know how wide the lanes are in Italy? I had no problem doing 130km/h on Italian three lane autostrada last year.

Didn't have any great expectations of Italian driving but in general found they were better motorway drivers then your average Irish driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Not only that but 3 lane Italian autostrade can have a 150kmh limit, where some here seem to think that 3 lane routes should have a lower limit! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

I've uploaded some pics of the soutbound carriageway (and the port tunnel) to Skyscraper City - click here.

/csd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

dubhthach wrote: »
    Didn't have any great expectations of Italian driving but in general found they were better motorway drivers then your average Irish driver.
    Haha, no way do I agree with that.

Guys I know I asked already and I don't want to push it, but was there an official date for the opening of this widening project? Just for posterity. I didn't see an announcement or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

spacetweek wrote: »
    Guys I know I asked already and I don't want to push it, but was there an official date for the opening of this widening project? Just for posterity. I didn't see an announcement or anything.

The final leveling off and tiding up where the site compound was located just off the Holywell on ramp finished up about a week and a half ago. Hard to know what you would say was an official date for the opening was though, Friday 17th June 2011 would be close to the end of works on the site.

Thanks chinchin.

Does anyone know what it cost?

Work due to kick off on widening of Drinan-Lissenhall from 4 to 6 lanes in November of this year.
    Mr. xxxx,
    The scheme is currently out to tender. The plan is to commence construciton Nov. 2011 and completion within one year.
    Regards,
    Pat O'Callaghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah crap, was lookin forward to a comfortable commute for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Work due to kick off on widening of Drinan-Lissenhall from 4 to 6 lanes in November of this year.

I wish they would have left this alone, the traffic seems to be flowing ok now with the current setup, and the prospect of a year of road works and delays associated with it i won't be looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its going to be quite a squeeze to get 3 lines over the viaduct, should be interesting to see.

Edit: That said, I wish they'd widen the Naas bypass to the Waterford junction instead, but that got completely canned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its going to be quite a squeeze to get 3 lines over the viaduct, should be interesting to see.

Edit: That said, I wish they'd widen the Naas bypass to the Waterford junction instead, but that got completely canned.

There's a full lane of space in the median on the viaduct. It has no H/S already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There's a full lane of space in the median on the viaduct.

Indeed it was designed with this in mind, according to this document

The bridge cross-section will accommodate two separate motorway carriageways as follows
    • At opening: 2 x 3.75m wide running lanes, a 3.65m wide raised median, plus 1.0m and 1.4m wide hard shoulders;
    • Long Term Median Widening: 3 x 3.75m lanes plus adjusted hard shoulders.

For some reason they concreted the median over the bridge, I don't understand why they didn't just tarmac it and close it off when originally opening the road, it's just creating extra work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

amacachi wrote: »
    For some reason they concreted the median over the bridge, I don't understand why they didn't just tarmac it and close it off when originally opening the road, it's just creating extra work.

I've been kind of wondering about that too - as you say, would it not have made more sense to tarmac the median space on the bridge - maybe the planners at the time were afraid that the extra space (for 300m+) would be abused for overtaking by reckless drivers. If that was the case, would a temporary barrier not have done the job? However, I believe that this scheme is due to commence in November according to an earlier post.

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I wish they would have left this alone, the traffic seems to be flowing ok now with the current setup, and the prospect of a year of road works and delays associated with it i won't be looking forward to.
    Yes no point in planning for the future, we can worry about the congestion when the congestion arises!

Also I may be very, very wrong here, but when the last bit of widening was being done it looked at though services etc. were being dug up and moved, does anyone know if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Anyone have an update on a specific start date? I have been searching around but cannot find any info.
    Kumsheen wrote: »

I have to say that this widening is badly needed, traffic has been coming to a stand still under the Airport Flyover recently and then crawling until after the Three lanes merge back into Two.

Yes the work will add to it for a while but in the long term it should be worth it. The R132 is an option to avoid the M1 & the resurfacing works should be complete by the time the upgrade starts.

celticbest wrote: »
    Yes the work will add to it for a while but in the long term it should be worth it. The R132 is an option to avoid the M1 & the resurfacing works should be complete by the time the upgrade starts.
    in fact the R132 works constitute a major rebuild and may take 6 or more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

in fact the R132 works constitute a major rebuild and may take 6 or more months.

VMS say works to be completed by 20th of November?

Are there more works to be carried out after this date?

celticbest wrote: »
    VMS say works to be completed by 20th of November?

Are there more works to be carried out after this date?

I'd imagine the works that the VMS refers to are the 2 major resurfacing projects along the R132 - one from Santry Cross to Collinstown Cross, and the other from Cloghran Roundabout to the Pinnock Hill Roundabout in Swords. There is a major widening of the R132 planned from Collinstown Cross to the Airport Roundabout - this will involve 1 bus lane and 2 traffic lanes each way. I heard that this work was supposed to start by the end of the year, but I'm not totally sure. AFAIK, the M1 widening scheme from J3 (Drynam) to J4 (Lissenhall) is scheduled for construction in November.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I have seen quite a few big accidents at that fast lane merge in the past few weeks. Its a disaster. Cute hoors tearing up the outside lane and then ducking in, causing cars to slam on,

Anyway, anyone know when the works begin to continue on the merge over the viaduct?

Kersh wrote: »
    I have seen quite a few big accidents at that fast lane merge in the past few weeks. Its a disaster. Cute hoors tearing up the outside lane and then ducking in, causing cars to slam on,

Anyway, anyone know when the works begin to continue on the merge over the viaduct?

There should be a tender announcement soon - the intention was for construction to start this month. However if I remember correctly, work on the previous section of M1 was due to commence at the end of 2010 - however, it started early 2011 - with this in mind, the section across the Broadmeadow may start early in the new year (again, a short delay of a couple of months).

I can't offer anything more concrete than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭sk8board

Lets hope thats still the case - 3 rush-hour accidents in 4 days this week - yesterdays one was the winner - 5 cars FFS (how?). its starting to become a total pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

It's getting absolutely retarded now with some of the driving in the 2nd and 3rd lanes.

3rd lane bandits waiting until the last minute and 2nd lane drivers who'll refuse point blank to let them in.

The book should be thrown at them!

Advertisement