Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just wondering if anyone has heard a completion the completion date for the works on the SB Carriageway?

I've been off for a week and there doesn't seem to have been any progress......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR215935&catID=243

They have started the selection process to prequalify contractors to tender for the next section of D3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

celticbest wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has heard a completion the completion date for the works on the SB Carriageway?

I've been off for a week and there doesn't seem to have been any progress......

Don't know what the hold-up is - it appears that the gantry signs are now up, so most of the major structural/pavement works should be complete by now. Wonder if they're putting some ducting in - don't think the M1 has ready laid ducting for fibre broadband, unlike most of the other major inter-urbans. It would make sense IMO to install ducting as the M1 is being widened. Another thing is that the existing verge-side drainage may need upgrading due to extra runoff resulting from the wider pavements.

It's good news to hear of progress on the next section of M1 widening!

Regards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR215935&catID=243

They have started the selection process to prequalify contractors to tender for the next section of D3.
    Am amazed how fast they're progressing this. At this rate it'll be ready to start by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Is the new section still 120 or have they reduced it to 100?

Hopefully the latter, wouldnt trust Irish drivers on a D3 at 120.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Is the new section still 120 or have they reduced it to 100?

you'll be pleased to learn that it's a whopping 60 km/h :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Never a hope of a D3 being 120. The whole reason they make them D3 is because theres so much traffic. I cant think of 1 example (in Ireland anyway) where one can legally do 120 on a D3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why are Irish drivers less well able to drive than anyone else? The M2 in Belfast is D5 and works well enough at 70mph.
    Never a hope of a D3 being 120. The whole reason they make them D3 is because theres so much traffic.

Well of course they make busy sections D3, why bother otherwise.
    I cant think of 1 example (in Ireland anyway) where one can legally do 120 on a D3

The M50 is the only other motorway D3. It has a lot of junctions, limited sightlines in places and the auxiliary lane. I am not sure how this applies to the M1 after the airport.

Many countries have higher speed limits on D3 than D2s, Italy for example

If a D3 is extended to Drogheda or Dundalk should the speed limit on the whole motorway be reduced?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I cant think of 1 example (in Ireland anyway) where one can legally do 120 on a D3

East Cork Parkway, which isn't even a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That bit is an aux lane from Little Island to Dunkettle, so I dunno if you can count that as its not true D3 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Never a hope of a D3 being 120. The whole reason they make them D3 is because theres so much traffic. I cant think of 1 example (in Ireland anyway) where one can legally do 120 on a D3

The M1 will be 120, there is just a temp limit of 60kph for the works.

Also, the N2 is D3 from M50 to the start of the M2 and it also has a 120kph limit, despite being officially an N route.

The whole reason they make them D3 is so the traffic flows!

The M50 limit was dropped to 100kph because it is the single biggest cause of noise complaints in the Dublin area, not because it got extra lanes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pretty cheeky really, the limit on the M50 is because of junction spacing and weaving movements. Unlike on a normal motorway most traffic is only going a short distance.
    That bit is an aux lane from Little Island to Dunkettle, so I dunno if you can count that as its not true D3 ;)
    Aux lanes do count. They do in other countries.
    runway16 wrote: »
    The M50 limit was dropped to 100kph because it is the single biggest cause of noise complaints in the Dublin area, not because it got extra lanes!
    You sure about this ? It's the first I've heard of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its marked as a pure D3, not like the M50's aux lane is / the third lane on the N4 pre upgrade was, etc.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Pretty cheeky really, the limit on the M50 is because of junction spacing and weaving movements. Unlike on a normal motorway most traffic is only going a short distance.

Aux lanes do count. They do in other countries.

You sure about this ? It's the first I've heard of it.

Positive. The official jargon was that it was now an urban motorway, and as such the limit would be reduced to 100kph as an environmental measure.

runway16 wrote: »
    Positive. The official jargon was that it was now an urban motorway, and as such the limit would be reduced to 100kph as an environmental measure.
    Come to think of it I just remembered that another reason for 100k is that they narrowed the lanes as part of the upgrade from 3.75 to 3.5 m. So there's that too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The M50 was always 100kph from Tallaght to Sandyford, arguably for the N7 to Sandyford 100kph is appropriate enough because of close junctions/bends. The northern section is less clear though.
    Come to think of it I just remembered that another reason for 100k is that they narrowed the lanes as part of the upgrade from 3.75 to 3.5 m. So there's that too I suppose.

Were all new motorways not 3.5m lanes for the last few years?

Yes, 3.5 is the new standard width.

People need to dis associate D3 from 100kph.

The two are not mutually inclusive.

D3 sections have been reduced to 100kph for other reasons (such as the M50) Not just because they are D3. In any case, the M50 is mostly D4 anyway.

So, D3 does not equal 100kph, as you can see from the N2.

Even though it is not a motorway officially, it is built to that engineering standard, does not have close spaced junctions and isnt surrounded by houses. Therefore any further D3 can be 120kph also once it meets those criteria.

Coming back to the M1 widening, there is no reason for anything less than 120 on the new stretch or when widening is extended to Lissenhall.

See they have lifted the temp. barriers on the SB carriageway & a lot of machinery was in place for the laying of the final part of this section of the upgrade.

I'd say it should all be laid and marked by the weekend hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Northbound, about 100m before the third lane vanishes there's an overhead gantry with three arrows.
    The least they could have done was indicate the third lane was to merge

• Advertisement

See they have lifted the temp. barriers on the SB carriageway & a lot of machinery was in place for the laying of the final part of this section of the upgrade.

Drove SB this morning and it doesn't look like they did anything last night, was this beacuse of the bad weather? Hopefully some laying will be done tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Drove SB this morning and it doesn't look like they did anything last night, was this beacuse of the bad weather? Hopefully some laying will be done tonight.

CB, I passed the other night and they were planning the HS. Probably hard to see the difference when you were passing in the am as it's only a few mm and almost the same colour.

Passed there SB a while ago and they're laying the wearing course now so will most likely be marked over the weekend and all tidied up before Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

ardmacha wrote: »
    The M50 was always 100kph from Tallaght to Sandyford, arguably for the N7 to Sandyford 100kph is appropriate enough because of close junctions/bends. The northern section is less clear though.

Were all new motorways not 3.5m lanes for the last few years?

That's right - our new motorways typically have a 3.5m lane width. As far as I know, the lanes on the M50 are narrower than 3.5m

The new D3M section of the M1 has the following lane widths: Northbound 3.65m and Southbound 3.5m. I'm not sure why they did it like that, it's a bit strange..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Has anyone heard back on why the merge signs are that yellow/gold colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Davy wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back on why the merge signs are that yellow/gold colour?

I'm going to guess it's another weakness in the TSM and that the only way they can treat the merge is as a "hazard".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm going to guess it's another weakness in the TSM and that the only way they can treat the merge is as a "hazard".

But a warning sign should be a diamond and with a yellow backround. Those signs to me dont even look like the standard yellow backround.

They should be white backround imho

Moto353.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Davy wrote: »
    But a warning sign should be a diamond and with a yellow backround. Those signs to me dont even look like the standard yellow backround.

They should be white backround imho

Moto353.gif
    They're on a motorway so they should be blue no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Southbound wearing layer all in place in the hardshoulders but still no marking down when I passed this am. The rollers etc are still parked up in the hardshoulder.

Just waiting on a few lines and this is fully complete and all lanes will be opened fully.

amacachi wrote: »
    They're on a motorway so they should be blue no?

I wrote a reply to this but it seems to have gone missing

Only directional signs are blue on motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

cargo wrote: »
    Southbound wearing layer all in place in the hardshoulders but still no marking down when I passed this am. The rollers etc are still parked up in the hardshoulder.

Just waiting on a few lines and this is fully complete and all lanes will be opened fully.

Was Lined southbound at 5:45 most of the way.

When is the speed limit northbound gonna be lifted, it's suicidal obeying the limit as it is.

Advertisement