Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Was Lined southbound at 5:45 most of the way.

Looked like all line marking except for the Hatch Marking at junctions 2 & 3 have been put down, hopefully all cones will be lifted overnight tonight.
    When is the speed limit northbound gonna be lifted, it's suicidal obeying the limit as it is.

I think this speed limit is due to remain in place until the completion of the next stage of widening to Junction 4 (Lissenhall) were there will be a lane drop NB & a lane gain SB.

MYOB wrote: »
    I wrote a reply to this but it seems to have gone missing

Only directional signs are blue on motorways.

I thought all signs were to be White on a Blue background except speed signs,

Motorwaysigns.png

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Warning signs on motorways (such as "Traffic merging from left" signs) tend to use the yellow diamond so there must not be any set rule about this. Its only on the M50 where we have the blue lane merge signs.

Actually aren't the lane merge signs in yellow. I've only been out that way once since they were errected so I could be wrong. Maybe they are classed as warning signs and thus can be on yellow backgrounds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

celticbest wrote: »
    I thought all signs were to be White on a Blue background except speed signs,

Motorwaysigns.png

They are all, to some extent, directional signs or motorway-specific signs.

All signs which are generally yellow diamond are still yellow diamond on motorways - lane merge, crosswind, etc - and any signs which are white/red disc are still that - speed limits, no U-turn/right turn/left turn, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These are the sings for anyone who hasn't seen them:

2e6aobb.jpg
    16lahcg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

After a spot of geekery, I've discovered that the yellow signs on the M1 are in fact prescribed in the 2010 TSM. They are in Chapter 6 (pages 28-29) and thus classed as warning signs. All other types of lane diagram signs (the ones on the M50) are in Chapter 4 (pages 30-32). They are blue or green depending on the road type and are considered information signs.

Much as some posters here hate this, I'll contrast with the UK, as that's where the designs are copied from. The 2002 TSRGD classes them as informatory signs, while their presence in the 2004 Chapter 4 of the UK TSM (page 19) would seem to suggest they're warning signs. Regardless, in the UK they're blue, white or green depending on the road type. The UK, of course, does not have yellow warning signs.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I can see the logic of making the signs yellow for consistency with other warning signs. But then you lose the consistency with the other lane diagram signs. And awareness of yellow meaning "warning" without the accompanying diamond shape is probably pretty low. But I'm sure some level of thought has been put into this. It is pretty important that people see these signs and if yellow is more attention-grabbing then it makes sense I suppose.

There are still cones in place on the SB Carriageway, anyone got any idea why as all works look to have been completed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

etchyed wrote: »
    After a spot of geekery, I've discovered that the yellow signs on the M1 are in fact prescribed in the 2010 TSM. They are in Chapter 6 (pages 28-29) and thus classed as warning signs. All other types of lane diagram signs (the ones on the M50) are in Chapter 4 (pages 30-32). They are blue or green depending on the road type and are considered information signs.

Much as some posters here hate this, I'll contrast with the UK, as that's where the designs are copied from. The 2002 TSRGD classes them as informatory signs, while their presence in the 2004 Chapter 4 of the UK TSM (page 19) would seem to suggest they're warning signs. Regardless, in the UK they're blue, white or green depending on the road type. The UK, of course, does not have yellow warning signs.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I can see the logic of making the signs yellow for consistency with other warning signs. But then you lose the consistency with the other lane diagram signs. And awareness of yellow meaning "warning" without the accompanying diamond shape is probably pretty low. But I'm sure some level of thought has been put into this. It is pretty important that people see these signs and if yellow is more attention-grabbing then it makes sense I suppose.

Good Links! :)

Although not specifically M1 related, chapter 6 has some other interesting warning signs such as one warning of a loop ahead (page 6/15) with some others warning of junctions on bends ahead (page 6/11). I've also found your sign (among others) showing the tapered lane drop on right ahead (page 6/28). Another interesting one I've never seen is a sign warning of a ford ahead (page 6/53). I think that a sign warning of a loop ahead was badly needed as I found it is easy to under-estimate the bend involved (though I'm not an experienced driver yet) - even on relatively large loops like the Kilkarn Interchange on the M3 in Meath.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Looked like all line marking except for the Hatch Marking at junctions 2 & 3 have been put down, hopefully all cones will be lifted overnight tonight.

I think this speed limit is due to remain in place until the completion of the next stage
    of widening to Junction 4 (Lissenhall) were there will be a lane drop NB & a lane gain SB.

It's a bit daft to have a speed limit of half the motorway limit, especially considering the underground section of the m50 has an 80 limit and no hard shoulders

Anyway where is the funding for the next bit gonna come from?
    It hasn't been approved for planning yet either

It's a bit daft to have a speed limit of half the motorway limit, especially considering the underground section of the m50 has an 80 limit and no hard shoulders

The speed limit on most of our Motorways is crazy......100 Km/h on the M50 which is not very well obeyed, 120 Km/h on rural routes with low traffic volumes & your above mentioned low limits on the M50(or M1 to locals).
    Anyway where is the funding for the next bit gonna come from?
    It hasn't been approved for planning yet either

Looks like FingalCoCo have the funds,

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/ProposedThirdLane-DrinanandLissenhall/Part%208%20Ad%20for%20M1%20Carriageway%20between%20Drinan%20and%20Lissenhall.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What planet did you see 120kph speed limit on a rural road?

if your going to make a point, at least back it up with facts please.

The M50s limit is fine as it is. It is not (and will not be) safe there until irish people get used to the concept of "keep left unless overtaking"

:eek: I see you live up to you name.....

Please read before you quote,
    The speed limit on most of our Motorways is crazy......100 Km/h on the M50 which is not very well obeyed, 120 Km/h on rural routes with low traffic volumes & your above mentioned low limits on the M50(or M1 to locals).
    What planet did you see 120kph speed limit on a rural road?

if your going to make a point, at least back it up with facts please.

The M50s limit is fine as it is. It is not (and will not be) safe there until irish people get used to the concept of "keep left unless overtaking"

I have never seen 120kph on any sign in Ireland.

I was talking about Motorway speed limits (per above post)..........120 km/h is low on a lightly used rural route such as the M9.

If very few people obey the 100km/h limit on the M50 how are the Guards supposed to enforce it?

If you are doing 100km/h & are in lane 3 over taking a line of traffic in lanes 1 & 2 you will most likely get flashed by the vehicle behind you are you are not moving at the rate of the rest of the traffic in that lane, I have seen this on numerous occasions.......

I have never seen 120kph on any sign in Ireland.

I was talking about Motorway speed limits (per above post)..........120 km/h is low on a lightly used rural route such as the M9.

Point taken but to call it a rural route is stretching a point - its on the way to 2 cities and combined with M7 includes routes to 3 other cities

If very few people obey the 100km/h limit on the M50 how are the Guards supposed to enforce it?

If you are doing 100km/h & are in lane 3 over taking a line of traffic in lanes 1 & 2 you will most likely get flashed by the vehicle behind you are you are not moving at the rate of the rest of the traffic in that lane, I have seen this on numerous occasions.......

I find this happens much more on the M4 west as far as Maynooth. Man do these guys want to get out of Dublin ASAP! :eek: Its like the antidote is to be found in Maynooth. Big case for D3 upto that junction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If very few people obey the 100km/h limit on the M50 how are the Guards supposed to enforce it?.
    OR conversly...

if if theres minimal inforcement of the limit by the guards, then people will speed as the limits are irrelevant.

considering that being even a smigeon over the limit in Ireland brings such draconion punishment as 2 points and 80euro, people must be very very confident that they wont get caught if blatantly over the limit, i.e. they know theres no point in staying within the limit as 99.9% of the time youre not gonna get caught!!!

OR conversly...

if if theres minimal inforcement of the limit by the guards, then people will speed as the limits are irrelevant.

considering that being even a smigeon over the limit in Ireland brings such draconion punishment as 2 points and 80euro, people must be very very confident that they wont get caught if blatantly over the limit, i.e. they know theres no point in staying within the limit as 99.9% of the time youre not gonna get caught!!!

Any time ive ever got "caught", a simple apology to the cop and a recognition of the fault covers. I dont think they do anyone who goes ~10-20 over the limit. I often question how maniac-like you have to drive to get done. In my experience, if you are being practical they dont touch you (or are too lazy to)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I often question how maniac-like you have to drive to get done. In my experience, if you are being practical they dont touch you (or are too lazy to)

Doing 3km/h below the actual limit, it appears.

I've found a ridiculous number of faults with the single speeding ticket I ever got (and got refunded) from the road number not being correct, to the all important one of doing 77 in an 80, to the wrong subsection being quoted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Some readers will be interested to know the scheme is planted in it's entirety with a green shrub, a (very) small few of which are bearing white flowers. the shrubs are about 50cm apart, and about a foot inside the jersey barriers.

The median is still about 4m wide, and there's a jersey barier at each edge.

The median is filled in to about 20cm below the top of the jersey barrier, and the surface is a grey stone - maybe a shale of about 2" down

It's hard to see the plant type or surface well, as I'm usually moving at speed. At a guess I'd say the plants are Camelias

It does appear to go completely against the nra's planting guidelines, but it does add a good amount of greenery.

The plants were planted before the works finished, which is unusual in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'd like to update my Irish Roads Site with an exact completion date for this. I believe some finishing works are still ongoing though? Has an announcement been made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

speed limit on the NB section is now 100km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Absurdum wrote: »

Hurray, about bloody time.

Next step is for the last chance lane 3 divers to cop on and merge with a degree of etiquette for lane 2 users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Not all the signs have been changed to reflect the new limit. Joining from the airport NB they are still 60km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Absurdum wrote: »

OMG, I've been driving at 40kph over the limit then - I presumed it had been 100kph for quite some time (the 5th June was the last time I drove that section) - mind you, I was not exactly the only one during 100kph and if I did the 60kph, I'd be a pile-up waiting to happen - if I had known the limit was still 60kph, then I'd be practical and probably do around 80kph. Indeed, some of the limits for roadworks are ridiculous - 80kph would be far more appropriate IMO.

What about the speed limit Southbound - anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Who is responsible in this instance for the application of speed limits? Why is the northbound speed limit only at 100km/h and not at 120km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Why is the northbound speed limit only at 100km/h and not at 120km/h?
    I'm assuming 100km/h due to narrower lanes. Anyone back me up on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

dcr22B wrote: »
    I'm assuming 100km/h due to narrower lanes. Anyone back me up on this one?

Well the lanes on the M6 are "narrow" as well but there is a 120km/h speed limit. Perhaps it's to do with volume of traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They used "excessive curvature" as the excuse on the M50 but that section of the M1 is straight as an arrow. Maybe it's directives trickling down from Uncle Gaybo or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The junctions are close together here (airport and Drynam). However, it would be ridiculous if widening the M1 towards Drogheda leads to a lower speed limit the more you spend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I was under the impression that NB (3.65m lanes) would be 120kmh and SB (3.5m lanes) would be 100kmh.

Most of our new motorways have 3.5m lanes and have a 120kmh limit. I suspect this short stretch of the M1 SB will be different because it leads into the M50 which I think drops to 80kmh heading towards the PT and N1; also drops to 50kmh for the free-flow to get onto the M50 anti-clockwise (which is then 100kmh)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

All 3-lane DCs and motorways in Ireland should be max 100kmh, only because Irish drivers cant be trusted with lane discipline for 120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All 3-lane DCs and motorways in Ireland should be max 100kmh, only because Irish drivers cant be trusted with lane discipline for 120.

Yeah, its like a smoking ban, those sorts of things never work in Ireland.

Advertisement