Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x15 - "Across The Sea" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I could have really enjoyed that episode but as another poster said it should have come much earlier in the season and its timing is all wrong.

I am also so pissed off at the inclusion of that footage from the earlier episode in which they discover the bodies. It played out awful, it looked awful and it felt like a big slap in the face from the writers. Basically they spelt out that they think the audience is fcuking dumb and lazy and they need someone else to add two and two. I really can't get over that scene and was in disbelief watching it. I mean WFT, they spend years head-fcuking and mystifying us only to turn round and treat us like a five year old ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Bored to tears watching it, they cud of done so much more with the ep. Still no explanation on how folk become a candidate, how MIB is able to take on Lockes form and the fact that they still haven't named MIB is beyond stupid. And please don't tell me that it adds to the mystery of the character. The only mystery he has left now are ones the writers don't themselves have answers for. The Adam and Eve reveal proved the writers didn't have a clue, if they did it wud of been nice to maybe have show one of the characters in this ep during the time skips last season, then i might believe their lies. Another thing bout the Adam and Eve thing, didn't Jack state that the decomp on the clothing looked to be at least 40-50 years old? I do realise that a spinal doc is no expert in these matters but its a poor job of the writers to have one of the main characters make such a statement about the plot anchor between series 1 and series 6. Surely if this was such an important piece of the show it wud of been written differently, ie Jack saying nothing bout the state clothes or simply saying "Its really Old", its how everybody described Richard until we found out the was 100+
    After last weeks episode i said to myself that i wasn't going to complain about the show, really enjoyed last week and i was looking forward to this more than the finale, and i was majorly disappointed. As i stated before the mythology of Lost was the biggest draw for me and after my disappointment with Richards ep i really thought this ep wud be a major payoff on the myths department and yet again i was sorely disappointed. Really considering given the finale a miss. 3 out of 10 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

too true that was absolute muck...theres gonna be no pay off with this at all...lost once upon a time was must see viewing..but like so many things they tangled a web they couldnt get out the knots out of...like for god sakes..that was pathetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

That was.....ok.

So under the island is the source of everything, ultimate power or something. When Jacob's brother's body (I think Jacob killed him when he threw him down on the rocks - in spite of supposedly not being able to hurt him) floated on in, the energy seems to have been able to take on corporeal form, discarding the physical body in the process. This seems to have happened again in it's current form as John Locke.

So Jacob's brother's original intention was to leave the island to get home. But the smoke wants to leave the island too - why? To wreak havoc? Whatever Jacob's mother did to mean he could never leave, it still seems to be in effect. But why could Jacob leave? And why does killing candidates mean he can? Do we assume whatever Jacob's mother did to stop them leaving, Jacob transferred to the candidates through touch?

I guess an episode like this was always going to still leave questions, but it's disappointing they didn't shoot a tighter episode, they could have answered a lot more.

There were also a strange amount of Jesus references if you look out for them. To such an extent that I almost thought the brother's name was going to be revealed as Jesus or something in the last scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

So that explains why Jack thought that the skeletons were about 40 years old.

So there was this woman and she came from....?

She had all the answers but wouldn't tell anyone because...?, I missed that one!
    Well she did something to the wine so she must have been...?, didn't get that info either.

She couldn't tell anyone who asked her a question an answer because...? Why she was the guardian, why the light needed guarding, why no one could die,

Why the men on the island were evil and needed to die, for that matter if she could kill everyone by herself anyway, why she didn't do that in the first place

This show just a bunch of coincidences with the backgammon stones, tapestry, wine, dagger, well, frozen donkey wheel, adam and eve, the mysterious energy pocket. but they didnt explain any of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

Interesting to note the difference between our poll and Dark UFO's. At the moment his is showing that 63% of the people thought the episode was awesome or great. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mkeano

I'm starting to worry about Lost, after 6 years of defending it to those who said it was rubbish I'm getting a sinking feeling. In my opinion, Ab Aeterno and Across the Sea both were missed opportunities to answer questions and also give us some fun. Continuity is out the window, the bodies of Adam and Eve were in different positions in Season 1 to the way they are left in this episode and with so little time left it looks like they are not going to address so many mysteries. Cuse (who I feel is the least talented) said to answer all of the unresolved issues would be pedantic...which I feel is a cop out. The Hanso's, origins of the Dharma Initiative, the food drops look like they will remain unresolved now. They could have easily had Hanso brought into the Ab Aeterno episode, we didn't even see him...why not make him the same Hanso who sets up the Dharma Initiative? There has been highlights this season but to have an entire episode without the main cast was an episode which I thought would provide more answers than it did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Ok, I am at odds with this episode as I expected quite a lot.

Firstly, the positives.

1 - The episode explained how MiB became the smoke monster. The idea of the tunnel with the light can offer life/death/rebirth is interesting and the consequences of entering it may be determined by one's own character. We saw how 'Evil' or the smoke took over the dead body of MiB.

2 - Jacob is now the protector of the island and he must protect the light. This would explain why Dharma were purged from the island in the 1970's as they (much like the people in MiB's time) were getting too close to unlocking this power.

3 - MiB was special, much like Walt/Hurley/Desmond - possible connection?

4 - Nice conversational references to 'games' and 'rules' throughout the episode. Also, Jacob and MiB's Mother makes references to mankind and how they come, the destroy, they kill, etc. Something mirrored in a conversation MiB had previously.

5 - John Locke described the Monster (back in Season 1) as a bright light and he "looked into the island and saw beauty" - tentative links that the writers knew what they were doing.

However, the negetives. Before I break it down I very much felt like this episode was simply part one of two and requires a lot more.

1 - No explanations as to why MiB/Jacob can not die or how Mother came to being on the island.

2 - The flashback scene was a distasteful attempt at proving a long lasting link between beginning and end. However, I will accept that the writers put it in to remind the 'non-obsessive' fans of a scene probably forgotten.

3 - The Frozen Donkey Wheel was not installed and the well was filled, which means we still DON'T know who built it and can only assume another civilization arrived and then built it. This would probably be proven by the statue's construction.

4 - The wine or drink Jacob drank. What does it mean? How is it powerful and since MiB smashed the bottle in Ab Abterno is there no more or can it be recreated?

5 - Alison Jenney's character 'Mother' was completely under-used. She really offered no substantial information as to the mythology of the island or the purpose of those on it - as we have all realised, people brought to the island have a purpose.

In conclusion and as can be seen, this episode is mixed for me. I feel it had the opportunity to add so much. Don't get me wrong, we got some answers, (plenty) and I appreciate the writers not spoon feeding them to us (well exception to the Adam and Eve scenario), however the episode let me down on one vital element; it added questions.

We are one episode away from the finale and there should be no more questions being asked, only answers. However, the recent announcement that there will be an extra 30 minutes added on might be for this reason. Perhaps pre-screenings of the episode yielded a mixed feedback about the episode and the writers decided to tag on an extra 30 minutes about Jacob and MiB (hopefully!).

Right now I feel: meh. I got answers, but not enough. I was given important information and yet, I don't know what to do with it. Very much feels like I have just been told answers to questions I already knew but required confirmation. But, I can not deny it kept be gripped and the mind ticking over.

Here's hoping those 30 minutes will be dedicated to MiB and Jacob....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm gonna have to rewatch and mull it over a bit more but I am let down with this episode. I know there has got to be more to it than what can be taken for face value but where it falls flat for me is the lack of explaining why MIB shouldn't leave the island.
    If anything watching the episode I felt for MIB. He was curious, there was more to the world than the island and he learned his mom wasn't his mom and his people are from somewhere across the sea. I sympathise to his want to leave.
    He hates people from living 30 years with his people, that's not enough for me. He harbours all this hatred for how many years (hundreds, over a thousand?) and keeps killing as smoke monster because he doesn't want to give people a fair go. Now if he killed his own people I'd accept it more but his mom killed them & he was annoyed at this. Understandably they were helping him with his means to an end, getting off island but storytelling wise - it's all a bit muddled for me right now.

We've all been curious to the omnipotent nature of Jacob and his off island antics and candidate picking - you can't explain away god but you can explain the nature of the selection process or what is going on in Jacob's head. MIB "just knows" how to play the game he found like he "just knows" how the frozen donkey wheel will work.. again a bit more insight please.

The episode needed to lay on the line why MIB is evil and should not be allowed to leave and why if he does the world is in big trouble. It didn't, it solved the skeleton situation which I liked the answer but it doesn't prove they had this planned all along. They created a plot that fitted the mystery. I, like everyone thought the flashback was awful bad and only thrown in for 'dummy' viewers who don't read too much into things (sorry if any are reading:D). I doubt Darlton had input into whether or not flashbacks were put in that don't fit with the mood or style.

I could go on and on but I'm gonna have another think before I post anymore.

Update*
    I should add that I thought it bad that Jacob made MIB into Smokey by doing something bad to him. If the show had MIB being so determined to get to the Light and use it then it would probably be more fitting. Can't judge this all until it's over but for now that's how I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

It amazes me that with one eps left before the final, Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof (who actually wrote this weeks episode) and Tucker Gates (who directed Ab Aeterno) would think it was a fitting way to explore the Jacob/MIB story fully.

I'm done defending Lost and its below average story telling.

Seriously, for what they showed, it could have been wrapped up in 10 mins.

The biggest thing for me is the "reveals" were not reveals, they were new questions which should have been answered within that Ep. Not cool new mysteries to ponder, just stupid crap like, Why did the MIB turn into smoke exactly? Why was it that Jacob/MIB "can't" kill each other but Jacob clearly did? etc, etc

It leads me to believe the end is going to be more of the same.

Oh, and MIB's rumoured name has been out there a while now, so any chance they could say it clearly. I think the mother said it when she was dying (sounded like it) but clearly thanks. No matter now what they call him, it will be a lame reveal as they have built it up so pointlessly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maltesrs

k mayb im a little bit slow/tired this morning but can someone explain something to me? MIB died at the end of this episode..is that right? or did his body just die and he was reborn into the smoke monster with an ability to take on any form? so then the episode we saw before where jacob and mib are sittin on the beach and mib says "do you know how much I want to kill you?" im presuming that came after this time period?? and if that is the case who is mib in that episode..is he jacobs brother...is he a smoke monster using jacobs brothers body???!!so so confused by this episode...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

maltesrs wrote: »
    k mayb im a little bit slow/tired this morning but can someone explain something to me? MIB died at the end of this episode..is that right? or did his body just die and he was reborn into the smoke monster with an ability to take on any form? so then the episode we saw before where jacob and mib are sittin on the beach and mib says "do you know how much I want to kill you?" im presuming that came after this time period?? and if that is the case who is mib in that episode..is he jacobs brother...is he a smoke monster using jacobs brothers body???!!so so confused by this episode...

Yes, MiB died - this is proven by the camera looking at his face as he hits the rocks in the water.
    However, it was his body that died - not so much his 'presence'.

The smoke monster (which stands for Evil) then assumed the form of MiB because it needed a body to take shape. This would be MiB's body.

I think the writers emphasised this point when Jacob says 'Goodbye Brother' at the end of the episode. They are letting us know that the man in black as we knew him in this episode died, but his body was taken by something else.

The 'do you know how much I wanna kill you' speech is to do with 'Evil' speaking and it needing a way off the island to spread. This is obvious with Jacob's demeanour towards MiB after the events of Episode 15. He is much more placid and distant from MiB on the beach. Because he knows the man who may look like his brother, is infact not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

No explanation of the cabin? Nothing on the ashes, or how MiB can take forms of other people?

What a letdown that was :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Are you for real?
    Yes
    When did you start watching LOST?
    From the beginning. Is this (condescending pointless questions) how you usually react when people disagree with you?
    That was a complete cheese and lacked any sincerity.
    I explained why they did it. I didn't say it was sincere.
    The producers purposely threw that in for new fans or casual observers. I highly doubt Cuse and Lindelof would have actually wanted that put in right there.
    Shows don't tend to get "new fans". In fact Lost's viewership ratings have gradually been in decline since season 2- the general trend with tv shows like this. And as for "casual observers", chances are that they would have had never seen or completely forgotten about that 10 seconds of footage from season one anyway.

Cuse and Lindelof themselves hinted that this episode would show that they didn't make it up as they went along, they wanted to show the link between now and season one. They still haven't convinced me that they had it all mapped out from the beginning but there was nothing wrong with putting in a few brief flashes of season one just to show the connection.

I don't think the explanation of "Adam and Eve" was as important as they tried to spin it as there are more important questions waiting to be answered but its no big deal.
    I stunk up the whole episode and they have undermined, underestimated and split their fans in one swift movement.
    There are no words to describe how over the top that statement is. At the end of the day its just a tv show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

One word to describe how I feel about this episode; conflicted. I liked aspects, hated others. I suppose the best way I could describe it would be this; every time their "mother" says something I just felt like asking "But why?" and "But how?". Sometimes you need straight answers, not wishy washy dialogue that "leaves the situation open to interpretation".

I liked the Jacob/MIB dynamic. I hated how Jacob came off as naive whereas MIB's views were based on actual experience. I mean does Jacob even know himself what exactly his purpose is? Does he know exactly what will happen if MIB gets off of the island?

I also thought it was pretty sad how they went out of their way not to name MIB. Everything was "him", "son" or "brother". Just STFU, stop being mysterious for the sake of being mysterious and just tell us his name.

I thought it was really disappointing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Just watched it and came straight here to give it a whopping 10 out of 10. Cannot comprehend the low scores people are giving this episode. How can anyone seriously think Recon and What Kate Does were better than this total classic! For me this was the kind of payoff I was hoping for all through Season 6; profound mythology that took us way back into the history of the island. Ok the footage from Season 1 was strictly for the slow-witted but come on, it hardly spoiled the other 40 minutes. And the birth of Smokie was worth the admission price alone :pac:
    I just wish that we'd gotten 2 or 3 more episodes of this ilk in Season 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    One word to describe how I feel about this episode; conflicted. I liked aspects, hated others. I suppose the best way I could describe it would be this; every time their "mother" says something I just felt like asking "But why?" and "But how?". Sometimes you need straight answers, not wishy washy dialogue that "leaves the situation open to interpretation".

I liked the Jacob/MIB dynamic. I hated how Jacob came off as naive whereas MIB's views were based on actual experience. I mean does Jacob even know himself what exactly his purpose is? Does he know exactly what will happen if MIB gets off of the island?

I also thought it was pretty sad how they went out of their way not to name MIB. Everything was "him", "son" or "brother". Just STFU, stop being mysterious for the sake of being mysterious and just tell us his name.

I thought it was really disappointing to be honest.

Couldn't agree more. Every answer they gave led to more questions. Introducing another mysterious character at this late stage was a mistake. They could have explained a lot about the origins of the island and what it is but nope, still left hanging on a lot of issues.

If this was earlier in the season I would have liked it a lot more, but at this stage we need answers, not yet more questions.

I bet that MIB's name is
    Aaron
    and in the alt universe
    Claire will name the baby Jacob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

at the start of season six i was pretty unhappy with the show, only watching it out of habit. Then i went back and watched seasons 1-5 again, which helped me love the show again and remember why it had become a habit of mine in the first place. Now I'm pretty much right back where i was at the beginning of season six. I just want to get the finale over and done with. The excitement's all gone at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

at the start of season six i was pretty unhappy with the show, only watching it out of habit. Then i went back and watched seasons 1-5 again, which helped me love the show again and remember why it had become a habit of mine in the first place. Now I'm pretty much right back where i was at the beginning of season six. I just want to get the finale over and done with. The excitement's all gone at this stage.

Totally. I still love watching it, even though todays ep was not that great i liked watching it, i just want it over now. I think the writers are asses for raising sooo many questions over 6 seasons and then calling it pedantic to attemp to answer them all! Then it seems making mystery was their tactic for getting viewers. Ok of course they write some good episodes but they're bringing us back the next week by setting up questionable events that we want to see resolved, and are not going to resolve.

I'm still pretty interested in the finale but they've fecked it up i think. It's going to be like the ending of the Truman show, life goes on. So lets get it over and enjoy the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think the main issue is viewer expectations. If we didnt know that we only had a few more hours of Lost left I would expect most people would be raving about this episode.

This episode has done exactly what Lost has always done, answered questions with more questions. Its one of the things that got us hooked in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think the main issue is viewer expectations. If we didnt know that we only had a few more hours of Lost left I would expect most people would be raving about this episode.

This episode has done exactly what Lost has always done, answered questions with more questions. Its one of the things that got us hooked in the first place.

I think finding out the answers to the questions is what got us hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This:
    Liber8or wrote: »
    Yes, MiB died - this is proven by the camera looking at his face as he hits the rocks in the water.

The smoke monster (which stands for Evil) then assumed the form of MiB because it needed a body to take shape. This would be MiB's body.

I think the writers emphasised this point when Jacob says 'Goodbye Brother' at the end of the episode. They are letting us know that the man in black as we knew him in this episode died, but his body was taken by something else.

The 'do you know how much I wanna kill you' speech is to do with 'Evil' speaking and it needing a way off the island to spread. This is obvious with Jacob's demeanour towards MiB after the events of Episode 15. He is much more placid and distant from MiB on the beach. Because he knows the man who may look like his brother, is infact not.

I'm sowewhat amazed that so many of you have missed this. THIS was the big reveal of the episode - Man In Black IS NOT the smoke monster. Man In Black is dead. The smoke monster has taken his form, just as it later takes the form of John Locke (and in both cases aspects of their personality). Yes the mother (incidentally CJ's Spanish SUCKS BALLS), she said they couldn't hurt each other. But that was just bull****. She was a lying murdering manipulator finding her replacement just as Jacob in turn is. She WANTED these things to happen - this is why she thanked MIB for killing her (just as Jacob pretty much let Ben kill him).

Clearly Jacob and MIB could hurt each other. They underlined this by having Jacob pummel MIB's face to a pulp not once but twice in the episode. Jacob then threw MIB into the water thinking he could not kill him (because mother told them so). But he hit his head and died. Then, after he died, he floated into the well where smokey took his body. To underline that MIB was dead they show us his body and the stones blah blah (incidentally Kate was smoking hawt in that flash back - Jack looked like the missing link :D).

As to the white light. Well we've seen that numerous times throughout the show so I actually think the writers did plan this ahead from the start. When they didn't press the button in the Dharma station - bright light. When Locke saw smokey - bright light. When Desmond didn't press the button and the Losties plane was brought down - bright light. When they flew on the plane to get back to the island - bright light then appear on island. When Locke turned the wheel - bright light.

mkeano wrote: »
    I'm starting to worry about Lost, after 6 years of defending it to those who said it was rubbish I'm getting a sinking feeling.

This was me last week with The Candidate.

As to this episode. I'm thinking 6/10. Gives us some interesting back story, but frankly I think it raises more questions than it answers. Who was 'mother' ? Who gave her power ? What is the white light ? For that matter what is smokey ? How does MIB know stuff ? (I suspect he doesn't and was just bull****ting - the game - he just made up the rules as Jacob said. The wheel - one of the smart others with ideas came up with it). Why can Jacob not age remains unexplained ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Is it just me or are people not happy unless they are spoon-fed every answer?

Fantastic episode- really, really enjoyed the Jacob/MIB dynamic, Alison Janney was brilliant as always.

One thing I didn't think of ,but only just noticed after reading the AV Club review: Claire is told by MIB that Kate 'stole' her baby, and raised it herself. Nice to see the reason behind that now!

I think finding out the answers to the questions is what got us hooked.

Exactly but answers have always been balanced with further questions being posed. This episode is just the same. I personally think the episode could have been better but I think a lot of my personal issues would be that I saw a lot of the "answers" coming during the episode so it took away the surprise factor. I would have preferred the instant gratification of closing off some facets of the story/mythology but I made the decision earlier in the season to enjoy each episode as it comes & take it that the answers will come eventually. (if they dont then I'll get angry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

After six years of watching this show I think a few straight answers would be nice. It's nothing to do with being spoon-fed an answer and everything to do with what a DEFINITIVE answer. I enjoy theorising as much as the next person but what I didn't want this show's legacy to be was fans in a constant battle of "this is what I think it meant". Leaving stuff open to interpretation does not make good story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Liber8or wrote: »

I know many will say "it can't have been spoon fed that MIB is dead any more than seeing his dead body" but we can't be positive yet that the smoke still doesn't represent his soul. MIB as Locke told Kate (possibly a lie) that he was once man and had a crazy mother and that he lost his human form. After all the 'mother' did say the light was "life, death, rebirth". He was still able to appear as the dead, aka his human self that remained decomposing in the caves. His purpose is still the same as Jacob's bro, to get off the island. If anything seeing the smoke to me just represented that MIB lost his physical form.

He took Locke's shape when he was brought to the island dead and whatever the rules of Jacob/the island are, he was able to keep this human form once Jacob was dead.

Jacob's demeanor towards MIB when we first saw them sitting on the beach may not be because "it's not MIB" but because MIB killed his mother, and Jacob 'killed' MIB's human form so there is no love lost. Plus how many hundreds of years are they hanging around bumping into each other, they aren't gonna be giddy now.

If Jacob did kill MIB then the whole "Rule" logic is shot to sh1t and everything is just thrown up in the air. Also this means it is BS that the smoke monster/MIB couldn't kill Jacob himself/itself.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    After six years of watching this show I think a few straight answers would be nice. It's nothing to do with being spoon-fed an answer and everything to do with what a DEFINITIVE answer. I enjoy theorising as much as the next person but what I didn't want this show's legacy to be was fans in a constant battle of "this is what I think it meant". Leaving stuff open to interpretation does not make good story telling.

People stopped watching the show after the first season because they wanted and thought they deserved "straight answers". Its never been a show to give straight answers and I dont know why people are expecting it to be now. Enjoy the last few hours of Lost and in less two weeks we can all complain if the answers dont come.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

At this stage it must be abundantly clear to even the most vociferous of fans that there are NOT going to be any decent answers. I think I enjoyed this episode because I realised that fact very early in Season 6 whereas a lot of people are only realising it now.
    I am pissed off with how the show has gone this year but I have to say I loved Across The Sea. Sure it presented more question but they were the RIGHT kind of questions. I.e. mysteries about the origin of the island and the source of the electromagnetism, not what does the incredibly lame sideways-world mean or whose side is Widmore on.
    Btw there is no way in hell the writers knew who Adam and Eve were in Season 1 and anybody who ever thought they did is naive in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I actually enjoyed it. I thought they handled showing us how Jabob and MIB ended up with conflicting ambitions well and showing us that MIB is infact dead was a big reveal, for Lost standards anyway.

People should also remember that MIB was perfectly capable of leaving the island just like anyone else, he just hadn't found a way before he died. The MIB that has trouble leaving the island now is not Jacobs brother, but some form of evil incarnate/smoke monster thingy.

Jacob and MIB could both be killed, and MIB was. Their mother was just lying to them so they would'nt fight, as mothers do. Jacob now can't die or age because he drank the wine. What is the wine? Why is it powerful? Do we just have to accept it? Probably.

Asking who mother is and why she is powerful is not really the issue. She is just someone that was chosen by the previous protecter and given the wine to drink. Who was the very first person to protect the island? Where did he/she get his/her power? How did he/she know the island needed protection? If they gave us an answer to this I would be over the moon.

Jacob brings people to the island to find his replacement, like he replaced 'mother'.

Does Smokie want to leave or does he want everyone else to leave? I think they will answer this.

I reckon Widmore wants the light/electromagnetism.

I've really hated this season of Lost but I liked that episode.

Edit: But why can't Smokie kill a candidate?....And an explanation on the 'rules' anyone?....

Advertisement