Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x15 - "Across The Sea" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:16am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "ACROSS THE SEA" -

Episode Title: "Across the Sea"
    Airdate: May 11th 2010

Synopsis (from TV.Com):
    The motives of John Locke are finally explained.

Next New Episode: 6x16 - May 18th 2010

SPOILER WARNING:

From now on, this thread shall reveal details of the episode mentioned above. If you have not yet seen this episode, please do not move any further down the thread.

A REMINDER ABOUT USE OF SPOILERS:

No discussion of future episode spoilers. That includes anything the writers may have revealed in interviews, podcasts, etc. Even behind spoiler tags they don't belong in this thread. Promos for next week shouldn't be posted in here either.

And out of respect for those following the show on RTE, this episode should NOT be discussed outside of this thread until it has aired on RTE.

What did you think of "Across the Sea"? 281 votes

0%
    11%
    damnyanksTöpherPsychedelicslave1Diddy KongTheGreatOneBrian?vestanpancemickssinkSobygrasscutterArmaniJeanssbrehayesWoddleAORKoolKidmurpho999omerinallen175 32 votes
    13%
    nothingChurchyMr EdigimanLizardKingLFCFanyawnstretchJohnKmatrimthe_barfly1SherifuSad ProfessormathieCorkfeenRavage1616demangustavostesaurusPrincess Consuela Bananahammockdsender 37 votes
    17%
    Drag00n79podge3Bacchushomerzeroyom 1Stephen PquazzySnake PliskenstakeykavsmdfOtaconStuxnetyoucancallmealjimblingjohnny_ultimatethorbarryAgamemnonjimbob_jonesJellorandomchild 48 votes
    18%
    BardGavin WCreatureHugh_CEKRIUQAntiRipmobncc98071jonesqzDingDongAuversTonyD79The GnomeRedisleRob30888Liber8orTragamin2k2Prufrockvinnycoyne 51 votes
    9%
    Dempsey[Deleted User]sprinklessyboitleggo00sullyCharlielittlejpShrykebazwaldoThe guyDaithhomerun_homerjordainiusPetKingGlico ManOutkast_IREPirateShampooAntar Bolaeiskopinion guy 27 votes
    12%
    mewsopickarooneyJBoyle4evamadrabMick ShrimptonFitzerPPatricidenitrogenanotherlostieabelardcashvilleFutureGuyheebusjeebusktc1df1985Sea SharpFreeOSCARHandsome BobJDeeLizT 36 votes
    6%
    VolvagiaMisterAnarchyfjoncosgrove80tadghoprRon DMCDonkeyStyle \o/awhirTiggerAAAAAAAHHHCarroller16Alanstrainorrobby^5Armin_TamzarianSlickRicgenericguyMacca3000 18 votes
    6%
    Sir Digby Chicken Caesarsomajor elUnearthlyEoinsyklopstvnutzTristramDayshaJay Runc6000KazooieAoifeNFutureadvocateuncleoswaldtechno-allahKeithM89_oldYitzhak RabinMJRS 19 votes
    4%
    HelixMr.Nice Guyme-skywalkerRyallerOafley JonesWreckMr. IncognitocremeeggMr FreezethecommanderMrMojoRisin'bunnymunromkeano 13 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The pen-penultimate episode. Less than two weeks left. :(

No early showing, starts 2am as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

CAN'T WAIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ummm...anyone else having a heart attack right now?

EDIT: All good. Phew...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The
    motives of John Locke??
    eh same thing he does every decade of new people....

plantotk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭JDee

Here we go!

Watching it live from a "special Astra satellite in space" I have ;)

Missed the first few seconds, did it give a year of origin in the first scene?

• Advertisement

Nope. Was looking out for that myself.

Light, eh? Ohhhhh god...this better be good...

Looks like their mother is the original Rousseu.

Or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Im not impressed by this so far..:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

So.... this is rubbish so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Booooooooooring......

• Advertisement

Patience lads, I think some answers are imminent

20 mins left, so far Im on MiB's side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's going somewhere, still a bit ridiculous though.

So how did CJ Cregg take out a whole village? Hmmm....

really?????!!! they did not just use some stock footage from season 1.... or did I imagine that? that didn't? did they?

THEY DID!!! OMFG! What do they take us for! Might aswell tell my mate to not even bother watching season 6 when he gets to it on. Pure drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I cant believe an episode that promised so much delivered so little, especially so late into the series and indeed the show, that was fu*king shocking, honestly these last 2 episodes better live up to expectations.. Because ive wasted the last 6 years of my life otherwise

I'm, eh, gonna have to sleep on that one.

I hope Lostpedia is able to explain how that was a good episode in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

That sucked ass to be honest.

The 'link' with season 1 was lame. It doesn't show they always knew how they were going to end it it just shows that they managed to write up a story to explain two rocks & 2 bodies.

I'm starting to think I'll be one of those people who will hate how this program ends.

This was an opportunity to explain so much p1ssed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Must avoid spoilers.

If anyone has a link to watch it now, please PM me.

I can't risk returning to this thread because of spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Pure drivel - it better improve next week or i'll be depressed

That was just ok, my "special Astra satellite in space" wasnt so great this week so it might be better on 2nd viewing.

http://forum.thefuselage.com/ has just crashed which Ive only ever seen happen after finales, Im not sure if its with people complaining or praising this episode

• Advertisement

Im slightly shocked to be honest. This was not the LOST I have watched for 6 years.

This episode should have been earlier in the season and maybe Richards later in the season. They whole season has been one big mess for me they have tried to stretch a small amount of butter over a huge sliced pan! Shocking!

I couldn't even being bothered to comment until I watch it again... only thing is I couldn't be bothered watching it again!

leggo wrote: »
    I hope Lostpedia is able to explain how that was a good episode in the morning.

lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

really?????!!! they did not just use some stock footage from season 1.... or did I imagine that? that didn't? did they?

THEY DID!!! OMFG! What do they take us for! Might aswell tell my mate to not even bother watching season 6 when he gets to it on. Pure drivel.

Well season 1 was a long time ago so not many would clearly remember them finding the 2 bodies in the cave and the black and white stones in the bag. I wouldn't criticise it at all for a few brief flashbacks which serve to illustrate a link between this episode and the episode from s1.

I will criticise however for it being yet another of those frustrating episodes which could have answered a lot more than it should have. I still don't know why MIB can't kill Jacob or the candidates, I don't know why Jacob lived so long. Two reveals in that episode were Smokies creation and that yellow light cave, both reveals were quite lame. Particularly the yellow light- for a show with such a large budget their CGI is woefully bad at times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The one thing I did learn is that the writers did not have this mapped out from the start as they claim- there are so many unanswered questions and they clearly do not have enough time to answer them by now.

jordainius wrote: »
    for a show with such a large budget their CGI is woefully bad at times...

Apart from the Pilot episode Lost's CGI has always being shocking and, as far as Im aware, their budgets were cut this year.

Im sure whatever CGI $$$ they have left is been saved for the finale ;)

jordainius wrote: »
    Well season 1 was a long time ago so not many would clearly remember them finding the 2 bodies in the cave and the black and white stones in the bag. I wouldn't criticise it at all for a few brief flashbacks which serve to illustrate a link between this episode and the episode from s1.

Are you for real? When did you start watching LOST? That was a complete cheese and lacked any sincerity. The producers purposely threw that in for new fans or casual observers. I highly doubt Cuse and Lindelof would have actually wanted that put in right there. I stunk up the whole episode and they have undermined, underestimated and split their fans in one swift movement.

As far as what the episode served to tell us that it should have told us... Well CJ just kept saying she made these rules and they have to protect it but she doesnt tell us the WHY? So if Jacob went into the 'cave of light' then he would have turned into a good smokey? Why did she kill their real mother? Oh because she was corrupt and what made her so uncorruptable?

Also MiB saying to Jacob when he questioned him about why he watches them, 'you watch us from up above' - does this mean the lighthouse? or a bird? or just a high hill?

The wheel??? I still dont get it.... Also as CJ said how did MiB know this!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, I thought it was excellent. It confirmed most of my earlier thinking regarding the "darkness" beneath the island. It seems to be electromagnetism. The same thing Dharma were keeping corked by pressing the button.

What I really liked about the episode though was the complexity with which the origin of the Jacob/MIB conflict was handled. They are both an mix of influences by "Mother" who was an earlier protector of the island. The important thing to be emphasised is that they were all human, not gods. They came to the island the same as everyone else and therefore everything they say or believe about the island is fallible. No one can speak for the island but the island itself, and it ain't talking.

What's interesting is how they both took on some her qualities and not others. Jacob accepted her teaching that the island needed to be protected, but unlike her had a positive outlook on humanity (which ironically came from being an outsider) and believed in free will. MIB meanwhile inherited her hatred of humanity (of which, unlike Jacob, he had some experience) while at the same time believing that the island didn't need a protector and wanted to leave.

I suspect the yellow light was intended to tie in with Locke's earlier encounter with Smokey in season 1. He described seeing a beautiful white light. It's the energy beneath the island of which Smokey is a result. As Mother described it, it is life, death, rebirth. Rebirth is the key word here. This energy created the Sideways universe. Or will create it. But releasing it will probably destroy the original universe in the process.

There was loads of answers in this episode imo. They weren't spoon-fed to us, but they were there. At this point I don't want awkward explanations delivered via exposition (à la the whispers). If they can't show us the answer to something, then I'd rather it be left unexplained for us to figure out and decide for ourselves.

Great post SP as always. Im about to watch it properly now on a TV screen as opposed to my "special Astra satellite in space"

thefuselage.com is still down, I reckon it will be offline for a week after the finale ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

What a way to waste 40 minutes. Nothing about the previous 2 episodes has got me excited about the finale. They have however started to make me lose faith in the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

really wish i hadnt stayed up so late to watch that ... bad bad bad episode

Advertisement