Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble's brewing for Spy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

But don't try and pretend that they're just the same nights as 21s etc with a different name. They're not. They play indie music, they're not pretending to be anything, like you keep trying to say they are.

I was arguing more towards them playing host to fads than anything else and that the likes of 21s are just places where you go, get locked, have the craic etc.... no element of bull**** to them, nor any attraction for particular fads to come and infest the place.
    You say that, yet you just said "I will admit that they're not that bad in Dublin", so now you're just making unnecessary arguments.

Yup im joking here, but I was assuming you'd ignore this.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I nearly pissed myself just now having read a comment over on emi...
    Who are these loopers and why are they getting out of limos? Is is carnival folk awards or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I nearly pissed myself just now having read a comment over on emi...
    Who are these loopers and why are they getting out of limos? Is is carnival folk awards or something?[/youtube]

Hey, what happens in EMI stays in EMI.

Hey, what happens in EMI stays in EMI.

Sure thing Billy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

are you one of them long time readers, zero time posters?

• Advertisement

Táck wrote: »
    are you one of them long time readers, zero time posters?

No, neither actually - read now and again and post very infrequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 joshjoshjosh

@Josh, how much of the management has changed? Is Anthony Remedy still involved do ye know?

i think its a completely new staff & management

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I have never particularly liked Spy as a venue. I find it expensive compared to other student nights I go to, with poorer drink promotions, and I just plain don't like the layout - dark toilets, lack of air conditioning, rubbish smoking area, etc. I've been quite a good bit, but WAR was never my thing.

I empathise with the promoters and DJs losing their revenue, but if this is to do with the owners of Spy going into receivership, then this protest seems futile and, frankly, vaguely embarrassing. They should have left Spy with minimum fuss and maximum professionalism and gone to another venue. And they should then sign written contracts with their new venue, if they plan to have a residency.

As for the rest of the stuff in this thread? Yes, the VVIP Awards were shockingly embarrassing, yes it was crass, yes it was tasteless, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't mercilessly mocked it on Facebook. But don't lump those sorts of self-congratulatory circle-jerkers in with the kind of NCAD student, blogging, fashion-y community that frequent WAR/C.U.N.T. They're just young pseudo-trendy student types, and yes while they're annoying and sceney and irritating in the extreme, there is no need for this vitriol. It has made everyone look judgemental and snarky, and more importantly: it's off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Mr.S wrote: »
    So WAR is now in ALT. & guessing after the 3 weeks, it'l shut down for the Summer, and hopefully be back in September:)

I'd since heard that alright. Seems like nobody's clear on anything about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

just got a text 2NITE - WAREHOUSE RAVE @ ANDREWS LANE FEAT WAR DJS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

just got a text 2NITE - WAREHOUSE RAVE @ ANDREWS LANE FEAT WAR DJS...

Your not allowed say Rave around here:):D

WAR@SPY has moved to ALT drop down to the launch party tonight for some epic tunes and cheap drink, doors 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

RAVE... FEAT WAR DJS...

:D

Right, lock this. WE'VE CREATED A MONSTER!

(and by god, I don't want WAR getting free publicity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xcvc

this is all hilarious.

i was actually at those vvip awards but amn't scene and amn't gonna bother defending myself to yous. didnt take it seriously, was kind hilarious and wouldn't say no to loads of free drink.

i know all those scensters are soo annoying but i happen to be friends with people who are in the 'scene' but aren't 'scene' themselves so like, tend to be around them a lot. i just block them out now, don't bother talking to them. a lot of them are really rude as well. but in fariness theyre just like any other group of people, some annoying and horrible,some nice.

its a pity dublin doesn't have more twisted pepper type places, and that the button factory doesn't do itself justice, but if there's nowhere else to go what are people supposed to do, not go out? BORING. just because people go to a place because it's open and their friends are going doesn't make them all scene so stop tarring everyone with the same brush.

Are you scene?

NO. i actually have more important things in my life than blogging, 'working on my portfolio', promoting crap club nights, and making sure i look just crazy and drunk enough in photos but never messy

I'm taking the piss. Anybody that describes people as "being scene" should be shot with their own eyeballs.

you need to relax. bit bitter i reckon....

xcvc wrote: »
    ... some scenester rant...

I feel the lady doth protest too much

assuming I'm a lady?

• Advertisement

assuming I'm a lady?

It's a (mis)quotation from shakespeare.

Tbh, I didn't think in ''scene'' it really mattered anyway; they all look a tad androgynous to me.

as they do to me..sure it's the lady gaga era.. horribly enough

as they do to me..sure it's the lady gaga era.. horribly enough

You could say the same thing about the 90s as being the ''Marilyn Manson'' era tbh.

Lady gaga is a woman who dresses up like... a woman with an installation art project wrapped around her waist. I don't think there's much debate about her perceived gender, other than the fact that for a famous, slim singer a lot of people wouldn't.

thats true. but the gay community takes up quite a lot of the dublin nightlife these days so in turn, it's all getting a bit androgynous.

thats true. but the gay community takes up quite a lot of the dublin nightlife these days so in turn, it's all getting a bit androgynous.

Woah woah woah.

Explain exactly how the LGBT community (outside of the ''so camp its funny'' nights a la the Bingo in the George) are perceived as androgynous exactly?
    xcvc wrote:
    just because people go to a place because it's open and their friends are going doesn't make them all scene so stop tarring everyone with the same brush.

I mean seriously, you haven't a leg to stand on.

why are you turning this into an argument? i was just having a discussion.

and for one, you just saying that they all seem a tad androgynous is showing in itself. i'm not talking about the gay community in general, i'm talking about the ones that frequent and seem to take over a lot of the dublin nightlife scene.

and i do have a leg to stand on, all i'm saying is don't class everyone that go to a certain club night or event 'scenesters' just because they're there. it's not a good enough reason.

and for one, you just saying that they all seem a tad androgynous is showing in itself. i'm not talking about the gay community in general...

Previous post

There's three gay nightclubs that I know of. Thats out of maybe 40-50 clubs in central dublin.

I ain't turning it into any argument. I'm just asking you to explain if you meant that the majority of gay men were camp/queens or what, because you've made a fairly sweeping statement.

(And no, I'm not L,G,B or T just to defuse the obvious counter argument).

ok come on, don't get all picky now. sorry for messing up my word a bit.

and i'm not talking about gay clubs per se. just about the general student club night scene that seems to denote an awful lot of the night clubs. but of course i'm not including the older, coppers-ish, palace kind of night clubs in this conversation because it's almost like it's a whole different business, you know?

and of course i didn't mean the majority of gay men were camp. that's clearly not true.

ok come on, don't get all picky now. sorry for messing up my word a bit.

In fairness I'm not getting picky, I'm just not psychic.
    and i'm not talking about gay clubs per se. just about the general student club night scene that seems to denote an awful lot of the night clubs. but of course i'm not including the older, coppers-ish, palace kind of night clubs in this conversation because it's almost like it's a whole different business, you know?

So now the general student club night scene is androgynous?

Asides from the pure ''scene'' nights like C.U.N.T/WAR I really can't see where you're coming from.

• Advertisement

ok, i never said the general club student scene is androgynous. sorry but i just didnt. oringinally all i wanted to prove was that not EVERYONE who goes to the pod and spy are 'scenesters' as they're being labelled. you can't argue that.

Advertisement