Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

Pleeeeease one for Bus Eireann and Irish Rail! would it be possible an app that tracks the bus you are waiting for so you know how long you have to wait?!!! That would be my dream...so I can decide if its worth to wait 5 or 30 min!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

beatrice33 wrote: »
    Pleeeeease one for Bus Eireann and Irish Rail! would it be possible an app that tracks the bus you are waiting for so you know how long you have to wait?!!! That would be my dream...so I can decide if its worth to wait 5 or 30 min!!!!!!!:mad:
    For that we'd need every bus to have GPS(which I think is piloted in dublin at the moment) and for them to allow external devs access to this....I think youll be waiting a while

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

How about a simple gps app that displays your location in Irish National Grid ITM?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

beatrice33 wrote: »

Did you not see my Next Train Ireland thread? :D Check it out on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

How about a simple gps app that displays your location in Irish National Grid ITM?

+1 That would definitely be very handy.

• Advertisement

I have another request...

Since your android knows where you are at all times, how about an app that alerts you when you are driving through one of the guards speed collision zones and warns you of the correct speed limit.

They are all listed here - http://garda.ie/Documents/User/List%20of%20Collision%20Prone%20Zones.pdf and judging from a news article in the independent a few weeks ago you could see private speed detection gatso vans parked randomly in these spots by October - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-speed-cameras-to-target-drivers-after-dark-2202024.html

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I'll like to have a go at this, I fancy trying out an app that uses google maps,

Is there a formula of some sort to convert to and from latitude and longitude or is it more complicated then that?

Takca wrote: »
    I'll like to have a go at this, I fancy trying out an app that uses google maps,

Is there a formula of some sort to convert to and from latitude and longitude or is it more complicated then that?

Im not sure is there a simple formula. I was looking for one a while back and couldnt find one. You might need to contact OSI and see what they say.

Actually try here - http://www.qgsl.com/?product=gridinquest/
    its a good start but i think they want you to buy the software

or even if you could use this converter - http://www.osi.ie/calculators/converter_index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Im not sure is there a simple formula. I was looking for one a while back and couldnt find one. You might need to contact OSI and see what they say.

Actually try here - http://www.qgsl.com/?product=gridinquest/
    its a good start but i think they want you to buy the software

or even if you could use this converter - http://www.osi.ie/calculators/converter_index.asp

Thanks for this, I'll take a look into it and see if its doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Given the auld hayfever has returned in the last week or 2, a pollen count indicator would be very handy, you could scrape the info from here
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/pollen.asp

... and have a traffic light widget on on of the home screens that changes according to the current/forecasted pollen count (Red for high, Green for low).

It would be useful to know weather or not to take the medication in the mornings or not.

Go Team.

Ps: I might get up of my arse and do this app myself, if anyone is interested in collaborating, drop me a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Is there an app for info on what movies are on terrestrial tv for each day including all free to air channels, rte 1+ 2, tv3, tg4, itv 1, 2, 3, 4, bbc 1+2, channel 4, e4, more 4, film 4, channel 5, itv london and bbc1 scotland?

Would be very handy instead of searching the web every day for whats on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not an app, but www.entertainment.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not an app, but www.entertainment.ie

They've got an app for the iPhone so maybe with the growing popularity of the Desire and more so Android in general we might just see an app for us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Is there an app for info on what movies are on terrestrial tv for each day including all free to air channels, rte 1+ 2, tv3, tg4, itv 1, 2, 3, 4, bbc 1+2, channel 4, e4, more 4, film 4, channel 5, itv london and bbc1 scotland?

Would be very handy instead of searching the web every day for whats on

Yes. TV guide. Oddly, it only tells you what is on right now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes. TV guide. Oddly, it only tells you what is on right now though...

i got an update on this app a few days ago now showing a full listing on channels for whole day! happy days!!:p also really like the progress bar that gives an idea how long into said program

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

i got an update on this app a few days ago now showing a full listing on channels for whole day! happy days!!:p also really like the progress bar that gives an idea how long into said program

Found a few tv guides in the market, who developed the one you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Found a few tv guides in the market, who developed the one you use?
    Just installed TV Guide - Ireland, by: Guillaume Vaudaux-Ruth.
    Simple, but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

The Irish one sucks compared to the british one. the Irish one just shows whats on now and you have to click on a channel to get the days schedule.
    The british one has a sports only box and a movies only box up top and gives the days listings of what you specifically want after you check the channels you want. streets ahead. i just use the british one for movies and check the paper for the irish movies its that bad

irish tv guide - guillaume vaudaux - ruth

tv guide uk - jersey productions

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

How about something that hears other ringtones from phones when they ring nearby, works out what they are, & then plays that ringtone at random times to annoy the owners of all the other phones around you?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dabl

There are contour maps of Ireland on the internet (Emerald Isle/SME) in the format used by Garmin devices. I wonder if it would be possible to make them available as a plug-in layer in a mobile maps app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

dabl wrote: »
    There are contour maps of Ireland on the internet (Emerald Isle/SME) in the format used by Garmin devices. I wonder if it would be possible to make them available as a plug-in layer in a mobile maps app.
    Check out osmDroid. Tho doesn't do routing. While youre at it everyone should check out openstreetmaps with a view to adding info to this community created map
    There is an app osmtracker that allows you to add data, routes and poi,s tho it,s still beta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

+1 for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Off the top of me head:

1. An app that tells me when Ryan Tubridy or Miriam O;Callaghan are live on any kind of media so I can avoid it.
    (OK, seriously)
    2. A decent bank of ireland online banking system app (it is just me with the web version?)
    3. An online payment system for Garda road fines (yes, well, I know I should behave).
    4. Nearest A+E finder (tempted to say it should scrape for trolley count too).
    5. RyanAir online booking app
    6. For students, a free library seat lookup app (try finding one in TCD in April)
    7. Leaving cert results App including online CAO acceptance and deposit payment
    8. Parking availability app for towns and cities.

Parking availability sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Parkings and seat availability would be nearly impossible as people would have to have a map of the place with all the seats and check off the ones the are in - not very likely to happen even down the line.

Just the number of available spaces, not the actual location in the car park. Not sure if this info is out there, apart from on the signs as you approach the city.

Exactly - you could get the information from Dublin City Council or equivalent. Maybe they'll pay you? And many big shopping centres have sophisticated parking spot availability systems. Maybe you could tap into those... Just a thought.

Or a system that lets someone who has a spot indicate they're leaving it and anyone within 150 metres can use the geo location to get to it. LOL.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What about a ATM locater...?nothing worse than spending 15 min in a Q on a busy sat night to then pop into a spar and see another unused ATM in the shop.Does my head in the amount of hidden ATM's in this country.I am sure the banks would provide the info free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

uvox wrote: »

Or a system that lets someone who has a spot indicate they're leaving it and anyone within 150 metres can use the geo location to get to it. LOL.

like this? http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news/google-releases-parking-spot-sharing-app-open-spot-into-the-wild/

• Advertisement

something like that.

Advertisement