Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that is a long run...The continuing adventires of Hunny Monster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I'm sure cork was her favourite part of the run , you got some balls Jo, fair play to you,some woman you are and i just noticed your form Cobh same as myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

and a great photo on the cover of the examiner....

And a group photo on inside pages (page 8 I think). HM looking remarkably fresh.

Well done on an amazing run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And a group photo on inside pages (page 8 I think). HM looking remarkably fresh.

Well done on an amazing run.

Any of these online?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

well done - a truely amazing feat of endurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm not going to waffle on... Partly because to right about everything that happened over the last six days would need a book, not a post and partly because I think the first full account should come from HM, it's her spotlight and she has earned it many, many, many times over.

Not a great day today. Handed back the CamperVan that had been sponsored by a great (and very cool) local company. We did our damdest to look after it and inside was spotless and unbroken but the outside was trashed. We were driven into *three* times on this trip, the last one just a few k's from the end when a german tourist decided we were going too slow and he had an automatic right to get past. Which would have been fine had the road been wide enough. But it wasn't and he made mincemeat of his hire car and the sides and back of our camper. Bye bye €1200 insurance deposit (although his hire company have admitted liability we still lose the money until it's paid back and that's on the assumption that they pay the full amount. When we gave the van back the owner went ballistic. Understandable - I'd be annoyed if I lent someone something and it came back trashed.

And when the crash happened I used the bike to bomb out, drop stuff to HM and bomb back to deal with this fat, rude and ignorant man who was giving my wife a hard time. And after all the arguments I jumped in teh camper and we went chasing HM down. And left the bike behind. We've had the tourist centre people combing the roads but it's gone so I'll need to replace that too. Crunching the van was one thing but the bike is RunningCoaches and he is one of the lads who swung behind this the hardest.

And all the "other stuff" is just there, just waiting to suck the joy out of it. Instead of celebrating I'm stuck paranoid to say anything in case it gets pecked apart by vultures looking for an easy score in some future court case over some perceived slight.

It's just fatigue and once we get the documentation squared and our explanation out I'll be able to talk freely again and we can just start to think about the good times. And there were good times - belting through Charleville at sub 5k race pace holding an ice cream cone that I was bringing back to the van for HM, MrsA getting up close and personal with an electric fence, the banter with Zuppy's Dad, the spin in the MG... So many good laughs. I finished that event in awe of two women, the obvious one but also my wife - how she pulled all the material stuff together I'll never know. And how she managed to keep it together on the amount of sleep we were getting and still function at the level she did is amazing. Meeting all teh boardsies - and others - along the way was a real buzz. A nicer, better and more supportive bunch you'll never meet. Forget all the crap about jurisdiction and validation and the politics. That's what running is all about as far as I'm concerned.

And of course the quiet times with just me and HM. Don't get me wrong the big groups were great but we had some deep talks and some laughs when we covered the ground by ourselves. I was told to shut up. A lot :D And we covered a lot of miles, for me some by bike and some by foot, some easy and fun and a lot very, very hard. I'll never forget them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

robinph wrote: »
    Any of these online?

Not a great scan but here it is...

scan2k.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

and...

scan1c.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

An awesome if not mind boggling achievement. You have amazing will power. Congratulations! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

As someone who is only an average runner and often looks to the boardsies for tips and advice, HM & gang are people you begin to look up to as guides and inspirations - and then they go and do something like this! All I can say is WOW.

A BIG congrats to all involved and thanks for all the updates, it nearly felt like I was there shouting you on (even if I was only shouting at the laptop).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RodSteel

Forget all the crap about jurisdiction and validation and the politics. That's what running is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Why forget about it when it was a world record being sought in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

WOW WOW WOW! So amazing!!! Huge congrats to all involved, an amazing amazing achievement by one strong strong woman!! She looks fresher in those pics than i do after 5 miles!!! History was made, there is no doubt of that, truly remarkable!:D

Well done to Jo and her crew.
    Its a fantastic achievement and something that will stand to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Awesome stuff, well done on becoming the first Boards legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Well done!!

I've just had a call from the site engineer for Carillion, the company rebuilding the bridge at Mizen and the man who let us into a hard hat zone to finish the attempt.

THEY HAVE FOUND THE BIKE!!

Seriously happy - I was sickened at the idea of facing RC again without his bike, especially as he had suggested giving the cost of a replacement to The Carers Assoc as a donation rather than to him, which just goes to show how sound he is.

I really won't say to much before HM gets back but for anyone who doesn't know this is how we crossed what is left of the bridge:

2ewh6cj.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Major congrats to Joanne, saw you on the front of the paper this morning and was so pleased! Well done to you, a great achievement, I wish I had your motivation and stamina!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Thats brilliant about the bike. It would be a pity if a few minor issues took the sheen of what was a spectacular conquest. (not trying to belittle the the loos of a bike by calling it a minor issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

And all the "other stuff" is just there, just waiting to suck the joy out of it. Instead of celebrating I'm stuck paranoid to say anything in case it gets pecked apart by vultures looking for an easy score in some future court case over some perceived slight.

While i am sure you find it hard to read "the other" stuff andwill have to deal with it later on, for now, the bottom line if that HM ran 560km in 5days and raise €70k.
    This is impressive and deserves utter respect. This is HER success.
    Well done and congratulations to HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I wonder can the boards.ie techies add a halo to Jo's avatar?

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already...Wow Jo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Rineanna wrote: »
    I wonder can the boards.ie techies add a halo to Jo's avatar?

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already...Wow Jo!

Me and Krusty have already been asking "What Would Jo Do?" for guidance... only a matter of time before the cult grows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrs A

Allow me to introduce myself, I am the long suffering wife of Amadeus! I found out on our adventures that I am known as MrsA. As someone who works in health care, being referred to as a virus by your husband is something that will need to be discussed!!!

I was not on boards, it is something that he does and I tease him for talking to his "runner geeks". Forgive me, I am not a runner and have had to endure blow by blow, step by step accounts of his training and his marathon runs!

When planning this with Jo, a number of runners offered to join in on the route to support Jo and to help validate it, but I was not prepared for the numbers that actually turned up, who drove long distances and who, in the often blistering heat gave their time and energy to support Jo's epic project.

To a person I found these "runner geeks" to be generous, thoughtful, full of humour and a real example of sportsmanship. I was honoured to be associated with them.

We wanted an event that would capture the public's imagination in order to raise the profile and raise money for the Carers Association and a Guinness World Record will do that. Hunny Monster is everything her supporters have said she is and more, much more, I couldn't be more proud of her. She has given the charity I work for a larger and wider public profile and no amount of money would buy that.

So thank you - no longer "runner geeks". Respect. I have plans for next year ..... watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Was good to meet you MrsA :D As Amadeus mentioned earlier, you did an amazing job keeping everying going, the whole crew were fantastic. It's an amazing achievement for all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

RodSteel wrote: »
    Why forget about it when it was a world record being sought in the first place?

There is another thread dealing with all of this stuff - you know well where it is !

Well done again HM

Me and Krusty have already been asking "What Would Jo Do?" for guidance... only a matter of time before the cult grows!

Yes but think of the possible scenarios.

Q: "I'm standing here with €500 I just found, what would Jo do"
    A: "Run!"

Q: "My girlfriend is pregnant, what would Jo do?"

Q: "I can't decide if these shoes match this dress, what would Jo do?"

Hmmmm, certainly has potential...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Welcome to Boards Mrs A....

We are, actually, more then just runners (but ok, I will admit I'm definitely of the Geek persuasion....).

Anyway, congrats on your efforts and if you need a name change, drop me a line :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Amadeus, I didnt realise HM had red hair!?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

when I saw that picture on the front of the examiner yesterday I nearly told the entire shop!! The pride is still beaming from all of us Im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RodSteel

911sc wrote: »
    While i am sure you find it hard to read "the other" stuff andwill have to deal with it later on, for now, the bottom line if that HM ran 560km in 5days and raise €70k.
    This is impressive and deserves utter respect. This is HER success.
    Well done and congratulations to HM.

Just wondering where did you get the figure of 70K?
    On HM's charity page - http://www.mycharity.ie/event/every_step_of_the_way/
    it says its 16,694.29 Euro at time of posting this message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Celebratory pix from Mizen Head on Nuacht TG4 last night. Posting from phone so cant look for exact link. TG4.ie or TG4.tv, second half of bulletin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Mrs A wrote: »
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am the long suffering wife of Amadeus! I found out on our adventures that I am known as MrsA. As someone who works in health care, being referred to as a virus by your husband is something that will need to be discussed!!!

I'm sure you know well that MrsA is a term not intended to refer to a virus but rather a term of endearment. At least that's what I mean when referring to MrsB :).
    Hey, maybe you could meet her and MarieC could bring along MrC and you could have a sort of Reservoir Dogs thing going....;).
    I hope I don't lose an ear over that one........:D

Nice to meet you MrsA. Well done on an epic adventure and I hope Jo and all the crew are recovering peacefully after the madness of the last week and more. Congrats again to all.

Advertisement