Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that is a long run...The continuing adventires of Hunny Monster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

World record or not that is some achievement! I wouldn't be able to drive that distance let alone run it!

Enjoy the moment and F**eck the begrudgers. Nobody or nothing can take away what you have done.

Be proud be very proud - oh! and well done to your crew as well. I'm sure they are a bit knackered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well done, you are an inspiration to us all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Congratulations and I am sure I speak for the GAA forum mods and all posters of the forum. A brilliant acheivement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Well done. Terrific achievement.
    I'd say the blisters are bloody awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I'd say the blisters are bloody awful.

I wasn't going to comment whilst she was running but she took one of her runners off when I was with her yesterday and her big toe was absolutely horrendous! The rest of the foot was pretty much all taped up, but the sight of that toe will live with my for the rest of my days! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

It's all been said by now - absolutely amazing - cannot comprehend what you and your crew have all achieved ! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Hunnymonster,
    Reading the last couple of pages you have been described as:
    amazing, awesome, brilliant, courageous, determined, fantastic, impressive, inspirational, legend, superhero, unbelievable etc. and every single word is true!

Hats off to you girl, mighty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

My god this has been an epic thread! I am utterly astounded at how anyone could have the strength (both physical and mental) to complete this amazing feat! Congratulations to HM and the team for an inspirational achievement, I am exhausted just having read about it! now bind those feet you hear, and relax in your well earned satisfaction!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ruu wrote: »
    Well done, you are an inspiration to us all. :)

Ooooooh noooooo!!!!

It's a fantastic bloody achievement, and for a great cause, and mucho blooming respect!! ... but it's not inspiring *me* to run the length of the country! :D

The length of my back yard is a struggle on a bad day ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Inspirational stuff. Enjoy some well earned rest now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I bet she is now having the most epic sleep ever!

And well deserved too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Congratulations, HunnyMonster, on an absolutely epic achievement. Between heat, feet and everything else, there must be some sense of achievement in knowing you are the fastest person ever to run from Malin Head to Mizen Head. Comhghairdeachas!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hunnymonster, Jo, Superwoman, you are an inspiration to us and everyone that we tell your story to. What you have accomplished is astounding, and we are all very proud of you. This thread has been fantastic, and even though I didnt get to run with you, I almost feel like I did. Kept thinking about ye last night, reaching the end, I cant wait for the race report!!

Folks I actually made that celebratory cake last night - aint so virtual now!!! :p

Well done to the crew team also, ye made this happen and should be very proud. Enjoy the rest now, time to finally put the feet up, even if for a little while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Well done to HM and all the gang. Fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Massive congratulations to you Hunny Monster, and your wonderful crew! I hope the celebrations will be mighty, you all certainly deserve it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done HM. I knew you could do it!:D

(Im still all emotional- getting teary eyed every time I think of what she must have went through)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hunnymonster,

I'm absolutely delighted for you and the team - it's a huge regret that I couldn't make it to run a few miles with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I presume HMs new 550km PB will be going in 'The Best of 10' thread?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Savage stuff, very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Well done, great effort and an inspiration to many.

I know she's an inspiration as I was having a boozy sunny afternoon on Sunday and I overheard not one but two seperate groups of girls discussing Jo's adventure. I could tell the girls weren't runners based on the conversation but they were in awe of her. They were even discussing Jo's food requirements and the problems she'll encounter, much in the same way. Was pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

What an achievement. This is something that you will remember and cherish for ever. Sod the begrudgers. you achieved something that only a handful of people have ever done, and you did it faster than anyone.

Most of us could not even imagine the courage and determination needed to achieve this, never mind actually going out and doing it. Makes me feel ashamed to think that I cut out early on a run at times because I dont feel great.

If Guinness don't ratify the record then it will be a shame, however it wont take a single thing from the achievement. Running is about achieving your own goals and target and you have done that in spades. A paragraph in or not in a book does not take from your personal achievement.

I hear there is a nice little run from New York to Los Angeles you might want to have a crack at next :D

Well done again, enjoy the rest and recover well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It goes far beyond my comprehension of what is humanly possible - 550km in 5 days just seems...

Congratulations doesn't begin to cover it, but it's all I've got!

Well done Jo :)

Seriously, that is just one hell of an achievement.

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Had a phone conversation with amadeus this morning, he sounded surprizing fresh, if still a little dazed. He'll reply in his own time here, but wanted to stress his thanks to all who turned up and supported Jo on her run, as well as the good wishes posted on Boards. His graphic descriptions of her blistered and broken feet, at 7:30 in the morning, would be recommended for anyone looking to skip breakfast.

Also said there is something in todays Examiner- don't see it online, anyone got a hard copy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Found it

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/runners-malin-to-mizen-charity-record-120879.html

DESPITE blistering heat and blistered feet, Cobh woman Joanne Uí Chrualaoích completed her record-breaking Malin Head to Mizen Head charity run last evening.

Her time of five days, 13 hours and 44 minutes has already been submitted to the Guinness Book of Records for approval.

Yesterday, she headed out at 1.30am for the final leg of her gruelling challenge, which at 130km was one of her longest stretches.

"I didn’t take any long breaks at all because I wanted to finish within the time I had set for myself," she said.

The toughest part of the run "was the heat, really", as she averaged what amounted to three marathons a day.

Having crossed the 350 mile (563km) finish line at 7.44pm, she was met by her husband Niall and her support crew.

Asked how she felt Joanne said: "Fantastic, it’s great to have done it."

She did admit to feeling "a bit sore with a lot of blisters", but was thrilled by the fact that, in the course of her mega-marathon run, she raised €15,000 for The Carers Association.

An experienced runner, who works at UCC’s Department of Food and Nutrition, Joanne has previously run 42 standard marathons, 11 ultra marathons and five Ironman triathlons, as well as the Sahara Marathon de Sables, regarded as the world’s toughest foot race.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/runners-malin-to-mizen-charity-record-120879.html#ixzz0p7kbegwZ

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Hi All,

First of all, I am just after waking up and I haven't been able to read any of this but I will. What I wanted to do is thank you all.

I am humbled (even teary eyed) at the amount of support that has been shown. All those people, some complete strangers who supported us have my gratitude.

MANY THANKS

(now back to bed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

well done the HunnyMonster.

amazing feet :pac:.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

well done the HunnyMonster.

amazing feet :pac:.
    omg thats awful lol...

DeV.
    ps: I cycled from Cherbourg to Turkey and if I had put in 550km in 5 days I would have rewarded myself with the weekend off. And thats on a *bike*.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Congratulations Jo on an amazing achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Congratulations Jo on an amazing achievement I'm in complete awe..

and a great photo on the cover of the examiner....

Advertisement