Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I wasn't a massive fan of his but it's sad when anyone dies, especially at the age he was.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm genuinely gutted. Gerry was the voice of my youth. Whether it was in the kitchen with my ma on a day off school or on a Sunday evening in front of the tele he was simply the man.

I don't care what the haters say, he was superb at his job and I loved listening to him. It's an awful tragedy and even though I haven't much of him lately being on the other side of the world, I'm deeply saddened.

RIP Gerry, you will be sorely missed.

Well said mate, I'm genuinely shocked. Listened to his show every day.
    Where I didn't always agree with him I still kept listening to his show, the mark of my respect for him as a presenter.
    I don't see anyone filling that slot.

R.I.P. and condolences to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

RiP Gerry!
    I remember I used to sit in front of the tv with plaits in my hair after a bath on a sunday and watch school around the corner, I hope Heaven is good to him, & now you can protect your children from above, and be able to do alot more for them than you would have been able to down here , thoughts are with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE will lead with it at 9 I think.

I have no doubt there is genuine shock in RTE at the moment.

Late Late will be emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Joe Duffy sums it up perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Poor Joe Duffy in tears now on the news:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wow, I only heard this on the Six O'Clock news.

I actually got goose bumps, loved his radio show - hated his TV shows.

I used to joke that Gerry set my moral compass every morning.

I've never met the guy, but always thought if I did it would be strange - like it would feel I'm meeting someone I've known all my life for the first time.

It goes without saying that this is a huge loss to everyone who loved and disliked him (I doubt too many truely hated him).

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I hope this thread is locked and replaced with a condolenses thread that will be visited by respectful people.

My rule of thumb for events like this is that if I know of a person by name or personally and the mention of their name does not envoke anger in me , I will pass on my condolenses.

If the person does envoke any anger then I as a person respect myself and others enough to stay away and let people who do care have their life moment in peace .

RIP Gerry and my sincere condolenses to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

RIP Gerry.

I remember when you were DJ'ing in the mid 80's at my local rural disco. You had a huge teen female following, you ruined all chances of a score at my first disco!!!:mad::P

A perfect gentleman then and always and even though I rarely listened in, any time I did you always grabbed my absolute attention and never failed to educate me that small bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Poor Joe Duffy in tears now on the news:(.

Yer one Sharon Ni Bheolain is an awful interviewer! Stumbling over words...she comes across so fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

lonad wrote: »
    I hope this thread is locked and replaced with a condolenses thread that will be visited by respectful people.

My rule of thumb for events like this is that if I know of a person by name or personally and the mention of their name does not envoke anger in me , I will pass on my condolenses.

If the person does envoke any anger then I as a person respect myself and others enough to stay away and let people who do care have their life moment in peace .

RIP Gerry and my sincere condolenses to his family and friends.

I don't think his family will be reading this thread, maybe send your condolenses to them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Very sudden and very shocking, it definately made me think today as I was going about my business.
    He died of a heart attack apparently, I remember him saying in an interview that he enjoyed a glass of whiskey everynight, wonder if that was a contributing factor and if it was then i'm definately gonna go for a health checkup.

R.I.P Gerry and condolances to the Ryan's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dave_connolly3

Yer one Sharon Ni Bheolain is an awful interviewer! Stumbling over words...she comes across so fake.

I agree. Unfortunately Dobson was out covering the Quinn story, because he would have done the interview properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think his Funeral will be one of the bigest that this country has witnesed, hopefuly it will be on T.V so we can all show our respect's:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

lonad wrote: »

on a public message forum nobodys opinion should be locked away.
    hopefuly it will be on T.V so we can all show our respect's:(.

:confused: that doesnt make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Very sad about Gerry. :(

Last time i listened was last Wednesday when he was talking about how when your parents die, even when you are an adult you feel like an orphan. Now a week later his own kids have lost a parent. 53 is way too young to go.

Sympathy to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Glad to see RTE had the cop on to lead tonight with a far more pertinent issue like the Quinn job losses. There's FAR more devastation in homes tonight with today's announcement regarding Quinn than there is about the passing of a radio presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭crushproof

pookie82 wrote: »
    Glad to see RTE had the cop on to lead tonight with a far more pertinent issue like the Quinn job losses. There's FAR more devestation in homes tonight with today's announcement regarding Quinn than there is about the passing of a radio presenter.

Firstly, RIP Gerry, never a big fan but far too young for someone to die.

But, very fair comment pookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

thermo66 wrote: »
    Very sad about Gerry. :(

Last time i listened was last Wednesday when he was talking about how when your parents die, even when you are an adult you feel like an orphan. Now a week later his own kids have lost a parent. 53 is way too young to go.

Sympathy to his family.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too young. Jaysus, he still had loadsa years left. I feel sorry for his kids. They've lost their Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

RIP Gerry Ryan

Gerry was a great Personality on the radio and came across as a selfless and warm individual. He will be sadly missed and condolences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Mute

:( The Ryan Line is now closed :( Very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I didn't agree with his opinions but at least he spoke his mind.

RIP Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mute wrote: »
    :( The Ryan Line is now closed :( Very sad
    You know, that may very well wind up as his Epitaph. Would be most fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I was never a huge fan,nonetheless Gerry Ryan was part of the irish psyche over the last 20 years. For many people there will have been nothing else but him in the morning,he was one of those guys you think has been and will be around forever. I feel most for his family,as he has been omnipresent for them for their entire lives.
    There will be no replacement. Morning radio will be somewhat lacking for years to come.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.Codladh sámh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

RIP Gerry, your gone before your time.

Highly intelligent and articulate man, who touched the lives of so many people in ireland and abroad. Will be missed greatly and the morning airwaves will never be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

You could have knocked me over with a feather. G Ryan RIP. A good guy gone.

When I was a teenager I used to do my homework to the sound of G Ryan on 'radio 2', evenings 10-midnight. Followed by the Night Train with Mark Cagney. Those were the days. He was a great broadcaster, although I wasn't a fan of everything he did, you can't please all the people all the time.

I'll never forget the laugh I had when GR stopped Brenda Donohue in her tracks to rewind and explain what "A Knickers" was. --Brenda was describing what you might find in a young woman's bag as she set out for a night on the razz-- priceless. "You know a knickers...a spare pair of knickers Gerry."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

prinz wrote: »
    It's on twitter. Apparently heart attack .

Impossible to know until the PM . RIP Gerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Never been a big fan of talk radio so didn't listen to his radio show much. But i have to thank Gerry for giving me some great memories of watching secrets and school around the corner with my family when i was a kid. My family always watched those shows and i remember a lot of laughing when we did.
    Also i don't know how many times a friend has said to me "did you hear Gerry Ryan this morning?" or "i was listening to Gerry Ryan this morning" and it was always followed by some amusing story.

R.I.P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement