Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

chris85 wrote: »
    i just remembered his school around the corner show when i was younger. I was actually on the show and just remembered. :o

Jaysus, there was a show. Now I've got the fecking theme song stuck in my head! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

mal1 wrote: »
    Sad to see that this thread went up so quickly after he died. It's a down side to boards.ie adn the internet.

Personally, i wouldn't have started it.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

To echo Dr B. , cut out the fighting going on here.
    Bans and infractions will be handed out.

Some of you have been here long enough to know better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Holsten wrote: »
    Why not?

Well, let's imagine you are a friend/family member of Gerry's and you're looking at boards or twitter and you see a thread informing you he has died before you have been informed. Just think how that must feel.

Understand now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

R.I.P. Listened to his show just yesterday. It's hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Giselle wrote: »
    You're entitled to that opinion, but I think you should keep it to yourself if you think likening a well-liked broadcaster to a homicial cult leader is appropriate.

See you missed the point completly, waaay over your head. I was likening the furore and the hype people build about a person, not the actual men themselves. The case in point of using Manson was to show that even mass murderers can endear themself to the populous as much as a nihilist radio-presenter. The cult of sheep that people will follow never seizes to amaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

RIP

eth0_ wrote: »
    Well, let's imagine you are a friend/family member of Gerry's and you're looking at boards or twitter and you see a thread informing you he has died before you have been informed. Just think how that must feel.

Understand now?

As opposed to finding out on the news? or on the radiowaves? or being phoned by somebody? Its the modern world of information technology. If one lives within the confines of the media the death will be dealt with in the same confines.
    miss5 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Listened to his show just yesterday. It's hard to believe.

How is it hard to believe? Death is the only sure thing in life. From the moment you are born you are dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am very sad and shocked to hear this news, only the other day, I was thinking I must listen to his radio show and now I hear that. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP Gerry xx

See you missed the point completly

YOU are the only one who is missing the point - YOU might not have been a fan of Gerry's, but hundreds of thousands of people listened to his show every weekday for years and obviously grew attached to a man who shared so much of his life with his listeners. To compare him to Charles Manson is just disgusting. There was no "cult of personality" with Gerry Ryan, he simply had a lot of fans who are now sad - and yes, even devastated - that he has passed away.

Why is that so hard for you to grasp? I personally was not a fan of Gerry's but I feel empathy for his family, friends and fans and I can understand why people who have never met him are sad that he has passed away and I can show them some respect. Why can't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How is it hard to believe? Death is the only sure thing in life. From the moment you are born you are dying.

You know what they meant. Yes death is inevitable but when it's sudden death it can be hard to take you know.

As opposed to finding out on the news? or on the radiowaves? or being phoned by somebody? Its the modern world of information technology. If one lives within the confines of the media the death will be dealt with in the same confines.

This post is so offensive on so many levels.

NO news agency reported on his death until they had the news confirmed by Gardai. RTE themselves held back on reporting it until they knew his immediate family had been informed.

The rumours were on here and on twitter for nearly an hour before newstalk and breakingnews broke the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Don't you mean on boards.ie?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

One of those radio people I've grown up with. He's always been on as long as I can remember.
    Might not always have agreed with his many issues but going to work will be a lot less entertaining now.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

See you missed the point completly, waaay over your head. I was likening the furore and the hype people build about a person, not the actual men themselves. The case in point of using Manson was to show that even mass murderers can endear themself to the populous as much as a nihilist radio-presenter. The cult of sheep that people will follow never seizes to amaze.

And its inappropriate. Its not for here, and its not for now.

Or is that over your head?

eth0_ wrote: »
    YOU are the only one who is missing the point - YOU might not have been a fan of Gerry's,

Ironic, I missed my own point. wasnt comparing him to him was comparing the sheep to the sheep.

Anyway yea he's dead, he'll be missed by family, friends, fans. Ill be upset say when Bob Dylan dies but life goes on. People will laugh, cry, sing, hate, judge but so what really, so what it doesnt effect my thinking of said person or my living my life day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

2FM playing Wish you were here... Christ that makes me cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If anyone wants to point fingers at people blabbing about the news, point them at Miriam off Primetime. Tastelessly unnecessary tweet from her at 2.44.

But the issue of how the news broke is irrelevant, it's part of human life to spread rumours, get over it!

Sad news for his family and his large legion of listeners. He really did have a huge fanbase.

Ironic, I missed my own point. wasnt comparing him to him was comparing the sheep to the sheep.

I'm sure you're trolling now but i'll explain one last time...the "sheep" are his fans. To compare them to people who were sucked into a dangerous cult is just horrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Anyway yea he's dead, he'll be missed by family, friends, fans. Ill be upset say when Bob Dylan dies but life goes on. People will laugh, cry, sing, hate, judge but so what really, so what it doesnt effect my thinking of said person or my living my life day to day.

Your a charming lad. Have some compassion, he had five kids, who found out their dad died today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Very Sad News.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

What did he die of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

RIP G Ryan.

I'd say Ray Darcy's figures will rocket now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Tis awful!Thoughts are with the family.RIP Gerry.

I'm not a fan of Gerry but I've enough respect for the man and his family to show my condolences.

Same way I'd be about Bob Dylan. I wouldn't be a fan of his but I'd show enough respect to offer my condolences when he should eventually pass away.

Fago! wrote: »
    RIP G Ryan.

I'd say Ray Darcy's figures will rocket now....

I was thinking the same myself earlier on but that's not important right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

I am so shocked to hear this. I can't believe how heartless some people can be. RIP Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

This is the most off topic thread ive ever seen

My opinion is that it should be deleted and an Gerry Ryan RIP thread opened .

If you wanna show your respects well and good

if you dont then dont

easy squeezy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My opinion is that it should be deleted and an Gerry Ryan RIP thread opened .

If you wanna show your respects well and good

if you dont then dont

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Not headline news on rte. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement