Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Top story on Nine News.

the only story almost, didn't listen to him much, but watching this you forget some of the stuff he did

wonder what the late late will do tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I used to listen to him a good bit, it will be quiet surreal to not hear his voice on the radio next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CrackerXYZ

Gerry was a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Watching this tribute to him on the 9pm news. He was so chuffed with himself when he presented the Late Late in 2008. Kind of a fitting tribute that the Late Late tonight will be wall-to-wall Ryan :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I wasn't a fan but condolences to his family and friend's, 54 is way too young to be checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

My mum was in bits over his death this evening. He was part of the house, as she said. Listened to him almost daily while doing her stuff about the place.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The one thing I just remembered was that, on Christmas Eve, he always had "Santa" on. Brings a smile to my face, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

My mum was in bits over his death this evening. He was part of the house, as she said. Listened to him almost daily while doing her stuff about the place.

R.I.P.

Ye, I tuned in for the papers on the way to work, didn't always agree with him, in fact he could be down right belligerent at time but at least he gave a point of view and I respected him for that.

The airwaves will be quite odd come Tuesday morning on the drive in.

R.I.P. Gerry you will defo be missed !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Can't explain my reaction to Gerrys passing...maybe cos I'm in my 40's and he's been in my ear for 25 yrs or so? RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I preface what I'm about to state by saying I'm sure everyones' thoughts are with his ex-wife and kids at this painful time and I mean no disrespect to the late Gerry Ryan, but...

Do we have any sense of proportion in this country? Our government is pouring billions into failed speculative banks while our educational and health systems are on their knees, yet the whole country seems completely wigged-out by the death of a disc-jockey.

To me this smacks of the death of Katie French all over again, prurient public interest and outpourings of crocodile tears.

Maybe as a nation, we're better at emotional outpourings than we are at outrage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

R.I.P.

My mum was the same when I told her. Reminiscing tonight about School Around the Corner, I'd forgotten he'd done that until reading the boards.ie threads - I used to love it as a kid!
    I wasn't a regular listener but I tuned in every now and then to his show. One thing I have to say about Gerry is that there were times he would really hit the nail on the head about an issue, sum it up in a way no journalist/broadcaster could and I liked that he was never shy in giving his opinion, no matter how controversial. Love him or hate him, he was a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Sad News for his family and friends.

I remember when I was younger Ryan was super cool, he had some great musical tastes and views (according to my nascent brain anyway) - the 80s hairstyle, the pirate radio kudos, the show Merton / Hislop - esque banter between Fanning and himself on 'Number 1'.

As with many here I would guess, while he and I grew older my views and his changed and parted company significantly ... I call it the 'knickers' factor.

Can't say I like where he finished his journey broadcasting wise, can't say I like the prospect of probably following him into old-fogeyness, but, you can say he was a hell of a presence in Irish broadcasting like him or not.

Anyway RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Rest in peace Gerry. Morning radio will not be the same without you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

cant believe hes dead!! :(

R.I.P Gerry

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

My mother has been listening to Gerry 3 hours a day 5 days a week for the last 20 years. That's over 15,000 hours! No wonder she feels like she's lost one of her best friends.

Bloody sad day!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

SV wrote: »
    He was a presenter ffs.
    That's all.

Fitting my other reply was deleted alright, how dare I introduce some sanity.
    Your previous post was deleted because it was quoting and referring to a deleted post.
    This is not the time to try to "put things in perspective". Let the people that loved his show grieve in peace. Thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Saganist wrote: »
    Ye, I tuned in for the papers

ah bless! that is just what my mum said when we were talking about it today. She tuned in for the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe as a nation, we're better at emotional outpourings than we are at outrage?

That's a load of crap tbh. Are you suggesting that people aren't outraged by everything that's happening lately? Seriously.. I don't know how anyone can be surprised or disappointed that so many people are emotional about the news of Ryan's death. In a few days the outrage you refer to will be back at the forefront of discussion, but ffs, let people show their sorrow if they wish to

It says more about you than anyone else, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Very sad day, no matter what people think this guy was an icon in this country. I used to listen to him a lot and still dipped in and out and he was consistently good but often created incredible moments on the radio.

He will be missed. Sympathies to the families and respect on here please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

There all on the Late Late now, Pat Kenny, Gaybo, Joe etc:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I preface what I'm about to state by saying I'm sure everyones' thoughts are with his ex-wife and kids at this painful time and I mean no disrespect to the late Gerry Ryan, but...

Do we have any sense of proportion in this country? Our government is pouring billions into failed speculative banks while our educational and health systems are on their knees, yet the whole country seems completely wigged-out by the death of a disc-jockey.

To me this smacks of the death of Katie French all over again, prurient public interest and outpourings of crocodile tears.

I think what you're missing is that an awful lot of people in the country really did look at him as "part of the family". And what I mean by that is that for 3 hours everyday Monday to Friday they listened to Ryan have discussions over such a wide range of topics, from serious issues like abortion to trivial issues such as cabbage patches..

This coupled with his style of broadcasting, straight talking, funny at times and down right infuriating at times, actually brought him into peoples lives more than any politician or in some cases their own family will ever do. Hence the outpouring !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

To be honest, something like this will affect people more personally on a day to day level. People love their routines, and get a certain amount of comfort from them. Some of that comfort is gone for a lot of people now. You may not feel that, but it's certain that a lot of people won't know what to do on Monday morning without him to listen to.

Perhaps it's escaped your notice but there are numerous threads on boards.ie about all these subjects and more. Why does this particular thread irk you so much?

I'm not a Ryan fan but he's been a big part in a lot of people's lives. Another poster just estimated his mother has listened to 15,000 hours of G. Ryan. Of course people grow attached to a presenter when they have spend so much time in their company.

And as a radio anorak, I have respect for Gerry for the work he did to revolutionalise Irish radio. People forget that before 2fm we ONLY had Radio 1 and pirate stations. That was it! And then Ryan, Fanning, Gogan and the rest came along and changed the face of Irish radio. In the early 80's there was almost no way of listening to rock music, for instance, and Ryan et al changed all that. Ryan introduced talk radio to Ireland. And you have to respect him for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hey Gerry, peace out, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

My mother had him on everyday so i've grown up listening to him, and still up to this day would listen to him and i'm 27. I just always found his show interesting and no-one else on radio compares.
    R.I.P Gerry, I'll be drinking some Jameson for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No offense intended towards anyone but some of the stuff is a bit like when Diana tragically died.

btw his family said they want privacy, so no TV funeral is the likely outcome for those who want that.

• Advertisement

I wonder if we'll see Bono on the Late Late? Odd that he hasn't issued a statement yet, I thought they were quite close?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement