Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Not headlines on SixOne!

Disgraceful and disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Ian Dempsey was just on the last word and said that GR rang in this morning to say he wouldn't make it to work.

It is sad, I wasn't a fan but he was a big character and entertained many.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not headline news on rte. They should be ashamed of themselves.

If it was anybody but RTE I'd maybe forgive them but for the fact that the man worked for them it's a bit disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Quinn job losses were first :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is the most off topic thread ive ever sceen

My opinion is that it should be deleted and an Gerry Ryan RIP thread opened .

If you wanna show your respects well and good

if you dont then dont

easy squeezy

In fairness, it's AH.. You have to expect a bit of off-topicness. There's a thread in the Radio forum which is less likely to be dragged off on tangents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's headline on the Ents section and No.2 in News section, as a National Broadcaster they have to be seen as being impartial, that's why Quinns possible 900 job-loss is first.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Not headlines on SixOne!

Has all the family been reached yet???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Not headlines on SixOne!

Jumping to conclusions must be the only excercise you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

It's very sad to hear of a sudden death at 53. My condolences go to his family.

Gerry was one of the most outspoken presenters here in Ireland and he'll be sorely missed. Love him or hate him you cannot deny that he had charisma and a personality. He was sharp, intelligent and definitely outspoken.

RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ive respect for him and what he has achieved through his life and the amount of people that listen to him and respect his opinions. But respect and admiration or whether I liked him is different. I believe everyone in life deserves the respect of another but taht doesnt mean we have to like them.

But I dont believe that this thread is just a condonlences thread. If so then it should be stated in the title and that would stop all the other stuff going on.

As for the way his death was announced or released as I said already this is the modern age of IT and the media controlled sheep.

Again eth0 I wasnt comparing the two groupings in a personal and a psycho-semantic way I was comparing how both sets of 'fans' can be lead into believing in a person and their ideals and listening to their opinions and valuing them. Each man widly different yet both have managed to con a large proportion into believing in their own ego's.

Anyway I dont want to upset any 'fans' so ill finish with the thread. And yes my condonlences to his family obviously death is a major tradgedy and they will be devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Shocking news , hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There's joblosses all over the country. I think the people at Quinn would have accepted a second billing on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

That_Guy wrote: »
    I was thinking the same myself earlier on but that's not important right now.

Haha I know....

I'll be interested in who'll be filling his slot. God help them trying to fill his shoes.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear he died. He was a great broadcaster and I liked his show. I never got to listen as much as I'd have liked to. I especially the beginning when he read the papers... Relaxing voice I found.

Jaysus, I hope his kids are doing ok.

He'll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

In fairness, it's AH.. You have to expect a bit of off-topicness. There's a thread in the Radio forum which is less likely to be dragged off on tangents

Theres off topic and OFF TOPIC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Not headlines on SixOne!

That_Guy wrote: »
    If it was anybody but RTE I'd maybe forgive them but for the fact that the man worked for them it's a bit disgraceful.

I'm sure his RTÉ colleagues knew him better than any of us. And they have been in contact with his family since his death.

Did it ever occur to you before calling them disgraceful that they may be following the family's wishes in not making it the lead story? I'm sure his friends and colleagues made their decision for the right reasons. You may not agree with it but if anyone is less likely to be guilty of disrespect towards him, surely it's his colleagues at RTÉ.

If they were genuinely disrespectful they would surely have hopped on the story ASAP. Instead they held off out of respect.

EDIT: Also it may be the established tradition that like it or not, the deaths of figures in the entertainment world are not treated as leading news stories. Especially so on a more 'serious' news programme like RTÉ as compared to a more entertainment/soft news angled TV3 for instance. If they had led with it on RTÉ, they'd probably be accused of bias because he was one of their own by a different set of posters. Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

This thread is for discussing the death of Gerry Ryan and impact it has, everything I've seen has been related, with maybe one or two off topic posts.

There's joblosses all over the country. I think the people at Quinn would have accepted a second billing on the news.

Job losses >>> Celebrity death.

That looks extremely harsh I know but I think RTE are doing the right thing. They can't be biased and I suppose reporting on Gerry's death first may be seen as somewhat biased perhaps?

It'll be reported though which is the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Yes one's in boldfont, one's small.

I believe (Ironically and hypocritically), you're dragging this off topic now.

RIP. I'll be listening to 2FM over the weekend to see what kind of tributes they have to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Conclusions?

The story should have been the lead report, even if they just announced it and then moved to the job losses.

You really think RTE went out of their way to be in your words disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Conclusions?

The story should have been the lead report, even if they just announced it and then moved to the job losses.

They announced it in the opening headlines.:rolleyes:

The reality of the situation is that while Gerry Ryan's sudden and untimely death is a major shock, over 1000 people have just been told that they will be losing their jobs. While it may not be a huge hit to Dublin 15, it's a major blow to towns like Cavan, Enniskillen and Navan.

FFS, I've no problems with condolences threads, but get some fcuking perspective. They'll give it the coverage it deserves (which they are doing now with tributes from all walks of life, Dave Fanning, Brian Cowen etc.), but the Quinn Insurance story is more pertinent to people tonight. Far more people's day to day lives are affected by this news than by the passing of a TV/radio personality.

• Advertisement

Nice one RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

eth0_ wrote: »
    This post is so offensive on so many levels.

NO news agency reported on his death until they had the news confirmed by Gardai. RTE themselves held back on reporting it until they knew his immediate family had been informed.

The rumours were on here and on twitter for nearly an hour before newstalk and breakingnews broke the story.

Agreed. For all media can be faulted for they routinely set bar high for consideration of the recently deceased's family.

I've done more than my share of bitchin and whining about Gerry Ryan, but that reflects only on me, not on him or his work. My initial knee jerk reaction was to crack jokes about the man, but he has a family and people who would be deeply hurt by that kind of thoughtlessness. I'm glad I held back and did not follow through with such ego stroking.

That I didn't enjoy listening to him does not entitle me to suddenly act like this is cause for celebration. It would be an exaggeration bordering on a lie to say I'm mourning his passing because I never knew the man; but I'll show him some damn respect because (selfishly, I admit) this is what I hope people will express for me when I am dead.

This is of course something that can not be expected of the average faceless coward on the internet since the ideas of caring for people's feelings are only something to make fun of, but considering that they can only feel that way because they have never achieved anything to put themselves in the public spotlight and cannot relate they have my pity...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I thought RTE were very respectful actually. Didn't make it the main story, didn't speculate. Short tribute and on with the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Turning on the radio at 9am wont be the same any more, I liked him, always entertaining and controversial.

Dave Fanning in tears there on the RTE news. Sad day, RIP Gerry :(

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I thought RTE were very respectful actually. Didn't make it the main story, didn't speculate. Short tribute and on with the news.

Yep and possibly something at the end of the show with Joe Duffy. Nice tribute. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Haven't got the trime to trawl through whole thread but Chris Evans was a huge fan of his and posted this on Twitter:

Gerry Ryan R.I.P. Absolutely one of the best broadcasters in the world. Fabulous, fabulous communicator. Very sad to hear he has left us. about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

I'm another one who didn't particularly enjoy his radio show and disliked his TV stuff immensely but fair dues, he was a name.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My sympathy is with his family and friends right now. Regardless of what anyone thought of the man, he was still only 53 and had 5 kids. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have to say I'm genuinely gutted. Gerry was the voice of my youth. Whether it was in the kitchen with my ma on a day off school or on a Sunday evening in front of the tele he was simply the man.

I don't care what the haters say, he was superb at his job and I loved listening to him. It's an awful tragedy and even though I haven't much of him lately being on the other side of the world, I'm deeply saddened.

RIP Gerry, you will be sorely missed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Keep it together Joe :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Duffy's in bits on Six One in the studio. (Is that allowed to be reported?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement