Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hopefully you get the calf sorted, but if i was you id consider cycling or triathlon (longer races). At the very least stay away from short fast races and focus on longer running races if you cant get rid of it/are afraid of heartbreak when you spend ages getting back into shape.

I had to give up football due to a re-occuring hamstring problem so know what its like. Might be worth trying something new.

Yep only going to focus on the longer stuff for the next while. But the though of becoming an ultra or marathon runners is not one that I like... I'll get this sorted and be back soon.

1000m swim before work today, havent been in the pool in ages and was all over the place, breathing was a mess and took breaks ever 100m for a couple of second. Didnt use my legs much at all which was alway a problem for me..

Calf is a lot better today then I had expected did the usualy staning on my toes test and only have some small pain when on my toes. Don't think there is too much damage at all, Will be chaning footwear this week and going back to my old type might not be the cause of the problems butam due a new pair anyway.

Back to the ice and foam roller tonight.

Friday 27th August

4 miles very easy today, pace was more ofa jog then a run . Calf is a little stiff but not too bad .

Sat 28th Auguat.
    4 miles very easy this morning legs are actually sore from running too slow, But all the compression and ice over the past few days seems to be working.

Sun 29th August
    6 miles very slow. Enjoyed todays run pace was really slow but calf is feeling a lot better now. Will be introducing some new stretches into my program now .

• Advertisement

Monday 30th August.
    7 miles very easy tonight. Felt as if I had been hit by a car back legs everything so stiff, maybe due to the stretching I've been doing the last week . Enjoyed the run but didnt push the pace at all.

Tonights plan is 1k's but not going to do this hard, will only run at 10k pace to avoide getting injured , Just don't want to get out of the habbit of doing the tuesday group session.

Tuesday 31st August.
    Arrived to training tonight to find out that there was a club handicap cc taking place, Would have know if I had been there last week when a time trial was run. Really didnt want to race 3 miles after calf problem from last week, So decided to do a nice long warm up and see how I felt. As I didnt run last week I wasnt going to be a part of the race anyway so would just run with the first guy of( he rav 22:30 last week).
    He was going to give it a lash tonight so plan was to act as a pace maker and get him to 2 miles under 14:30.

Started off first and got into running felt very strange legs were moving ok but felt really easy, lap 1 and 1 mile in 7:11 (this is feeling far too easy), Mile two started with a hill and the pace was still feeling ok, kept just infront and was working hard but still feeling ok, The second half of the second lap was a bit harder legs feeling a little tired but was still able to talk to the guy running with me, got to the 2 mile mark and my planned finish in 14:21(7:10 mile) .
    Came to a stop here but after about 2 second decided to finish the run and just run a relaxed mile got was passed by 3 people half way through the lap but want too worried at all, mile 3 7:50 but felt like a 9 min mile.

Calf is fine a little tight but noting major.

3 miles 22:11 very very strange as I felt so so good tonight. A warning to my 5k pb.. i'm coming after ya....

Total today 8 miles .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

what's the 5k PB? Rathfarnham could be the course to give it a hammering.

what's the 5k PB? Rathfarnham could be the course to give it a hammering.

20:32 from last year. Think I need a couple more long runs and a few tempos then i'll decide on a race. Rathfarnham might be a little too soon but i'll see.

There is life in this old dog yet ;)

1st September.
    Rest day today but was feeling very stiff after work so popped out for 2 easy miles before doing my stretching tonight. Right hip was very tight but feels a lot better now.
    Doing lots of work on both calf and hamstrings too.

Time to ice now and put the feet up

• Advertisement

Thursday 2nd Sept.
    Horrible run today had a half day from work today so was planning a nice run but eneded up only with 3 hours sleep last night and was wrecked. Called it a day at 5 miles .

Friday 3rd September

Todays plan was a nice hady 6 miles but legs and body didnt wan't to listen, from the start I knew this run wasnt going to to plan, was running easy for the first mile but pace was way too fast, By the time I was warmed up I know that it was one of those days that the body just wanted to run faster so decided to let it and do 3 X 1 mile.

Mile 1 7:28
    Mile 2 7:15
    mile 3 7:27

Mile two had a long section on a path but effort level was around the same, took long recovery jog between each mile prob 3-4 mins.

Felt easy on the run but after the 3rd rep I was shagged and was able to run slow.

Sat 4th Sept
    10 miles very easy all on grass, felt tired but a good tired.

Sunday 5th
    AWOL on the bday beers...

Monday 6th Sept
    2 mile hungover jog just to get out, was in a bad bad way, on the way to rehab now.

Tuesday 7th Sept

Plan for tonight was 4 X800m @ 5k pace . 2 mile warmup/Warmdown

Session was terrible totally all over the place and have no idea of pacing at the moment . Was hoping to do the reps in about 3:35 .

1.3:15
    2.3:18
    3:3:22
    4 3:28

Totally over cooked the early reps and drifted off the back of the group. Only good thing is that I've check my log from last year and the best session was 6 X 800's in 3:35ish. So i'm faster and fatter this year....

Have my Sept time trial this day next week and going to give it a real lash.

Wed 8th Sept.
    5 mile slog this evening, for some reason found it hard to get out the door today but when I did managed a nice 5 mile recovery run. Sligh pain in my left shin today but nothing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey shels, how are you feeling about the Half these days? ;) How's the injury holding up?

claralara wrote: »
    Hey shels, how are you feeling about the Half these days? ;) How's the injury holding up?

The injury is better then ever now, first time in ages i've zero pain or stiffness in my legs, No to sure about that half now was hoping to have a 15 miler in the bag last week but didnt happen so will slog around the course.
    How are you getting on?

Thursday 9th Sept
    Rest day

Friday 10th Sept
    Handy 35 min run tonight with the junior member of my team ;) . Havent races many 10k and not in shape to really race this one . So will need to make sure I don't go nuts over the first 5k. Legs feel good today and have no reason not to run well tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Good to hear you're feeling well. I'm sure you'll fly it! I'm hoping that I'll hit the 2hour target but sure you can never predict these things. I'll go out for a bit of craic anyway!! Best of luck tomorrow. :)

Sat 11th September
    10k race today, mcmillan gave me a 53 min based on my 10 mile time but speaking to the roadrunner yesterday I siad i'd give up running if I was slower then that.
    Plan was to hit 8 min/mile pace for fist lap and then try to push on from there.

Once the gun went I was feeling good and running felt easy reached 1 mile and checked the watch 7:12/14 oooopsss got to 2 miles in just over 14:30 but at this point I knew I was in trouble, way way too fast for where I am at the moment. The rest of the race is a bit of a blur legs on fire just felt crap.
    Finish time was 51:02 but should have been closer to 49 if run smart.

Its technicaly a pb by about 4 mins again but not happy with it. There is a faster race in there for sure just need to more miles.

claralara wrote: »
    Good to hear you're feeling well. I'm sure you'll fly it! I'm hoping that I'll hit the 2hour target but sure you can never predict these things. I'll go out for a bit of craic anyway!! Best of luck tomorrow. :)

Going on your ten mile you should be on for that sub 2 hour mark, with the 2 hour pacers there makes it easy :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 12th Sept
    Very easy 10 miles today. Legs were tired but not as tired as they should have been the day after a race. Just pottered around 10 miles on grass @ 10 min/mile pace could have kept going for hours at that pace.
    Had forgotten my runners today but luck had a pair in the car that I picked up a few months ago, hand run in the Adidas response before but they felt better then expected.

Monday 13th Sept
    Woke today with a terrible head cold nose running faster that I've run in a long time. Finished work and drove to the park but was totally wrecked so ended up going home to bed. Just woke now so a days missed running :(

Have taken the last 3 days of due to sickness but feeling better today, Will just take it easy on the exerise bike tonight then get back to running tomorrow. Won't be running the half on Sat but hope to get a log run in on Sunday.

After a crap few days Ionly managed a couple of miles on Thursday before walking back to the car, chest and head were in a jock so too Friday off too.
    Sat was an very easy 4 miles @10 min mile pace just to get out of the house.

Sunday 19th Sept
    Felt a lot better today but knew I wouldnt get the planned 12 miles done today, So set off along the canal from clondalkin in the directon of lucan, got to the end of the new path and decided on an off road adventure. Followed the toe path for another couple of miles into the country side and have no idea where I was, Didnt pass a single person for 5-6 miles of today run and it was great.

Managed about 9 miles in total and feeling a lot better now, will be happy when I get my long run up by another 4 miles but not pushing it.

Thinking about racing next weekend and doing my long run on Thursday morning, need to start to hury myself a bit more again.

Monday 20th Sept
    5 min mile pace.
    Followed that up with a crazy night of champagne, looking at my phone today was a bit scary some of the text that didnt send that god... why was I trying to text theRoadrunner ot 4am :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Monday 20th Sept
    Very handy 5 miles @5 min mile pace.

Jesus if you are all running at that pace in training you will clean up team wise :D
    Monday 20th Sept
    ooking at my phone today was a bit scary some of the text that didnt send that god... why was I trying to text theRoadrunner ot 4am :eek:

Must be love

Jesus if you are all running at that pace in training you will clean up team wise :D

Must be love
    ah yes an 25 mins for 5 miles is really easy , you need to sort out your pb....;)

Didn't know I swung that way late at night, was some mad jibberjabber about inter clubs XC from what I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi shels, think we are in and around the same place at the moment. Any immediate goals lined up?

Hi shels, think we are in and around the same place at the moment. Any immediate goals lined up?

Plan is to get as good a base as possible and lose a load or weight sty injury free, run a few Bhaa XC races and hope to line up in some sort of nataionl XC race at some point. Will stick a half marathon in there to make sure i get the long runs done too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Plan is to get as good a base as possible and lose a load or weight sty injury free, run a few Bhaa XC races and hope to line up in some sort of nataionl XC race at some point. Will stick a half marathon in there to make sure i get the long runs done too.

Sounds good, gotta lot of weight to lose myself, bout 1.5 stone

Advertisement