Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Monday 15th November
    One of those days in work got a bit busy late in the day and didnt finish until 8. So rather then go home I geared up for a lap of the business park, ended up making a couple or wrong turns, almost savaged by a huge dog.. ran out of enegry and just about made it back..

7 slow miles but glad I went out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Monday 15th November
    One of those days in work got a bit busy late in the day and didnt finish until 8. So rather then go home I geared up for a lap of the business park, ended up making a couple or wrong turns, almost savaged by a huge dog.. ran out of enegry and just about made it back..

7 slow miles but glad I went out.

+1 exact same scenario, route and distance for me. Didn't get out until 10 though :eek: felt 10 foot tall when I finished. Doubt I'll sleep before 2 am, crap

+1 exact same scenario, route and distance for me. Didn't get out until 10 though :eek: felt 10 foot tall when I finished. Doubt I'll sleep before 2 am, crap
    Bet you didn't end up in the chipper after ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Bet you didn't end up in the chipper after ;)

correct. Chips, the dinner of champions

Tuesday 16th November
    Another bbusy day and at 5pm decided that I wansnt going to make training tonight. But got finished at 6:30 so popped over for a session. Had the idea in my head that i'd take it handy tonight.

Arrived to find out that the plan was a mile time trial oh wait it was 1 mile time trial 10 min rest then another 1 mile time trial (feck...)

Legs were tired after warming up but once we got going it wasnt too bad, tried to get in at the back of the group on the first lap but drifted 10m off the back, 98 second which I was happy with , picked off 3-4 people over the next 3 lap the last was the women you beat me on Sat to finish in 6:38 mile .. super even splits for this rep.

2 min walk then easy jog for 8 mins to the start of the rep. Decided I was going to stick with the group this time and not let them get away. Got to 400m make in 104 was well pissed off with this so hit the front of the mini group and tried to up the pace. Caught 2 of the faster guys with 600m and went past thinking I was a legend but they came back over the last 200m :(. Was very annoyed with the first 400m should have know the pace was slow.
    6:45/6 mile.

Nice warm down after , 6:xx miles are starting to feel good again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Excellent stuff shels, should serve you well for Sunday :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Excellent stuff shels, should serve you well for Sunday :D

I'm only the second sub remember ;) Think you need to finish an XC race :)

Wed 17th November
    Rest day today, but managed 45 min cycle at lunch. really felt like going to the park for a run but need the rest. Not sure what the plan will be over the next few days might do a long run tomororw just in case I need to race over the weekend. Most important is the long run for the next few weeks so will get that sorted then see what happens.

18th November
    Busy day again today and ended up having to go to some dinner things after work, everyone was going to the boozer after but slipped into my gear and run home from work. Would have been so much easier to go to the pub and more fun too ..
    6.6 mile slog

Friday 19th November
    Could either have had a 7 mile dark run on the roads or a short daylight run on the grass. So went with the short grass run, Should have done something longer but just needed some mud.

• Advertisement

Sat 20th November
    Managed to get a nice 12 miles covered today. 9 miles was very handy then a nice fast 2 miles and a mile warm
    Nice runnning from all the boards lads today

Sunday 21st
    6 handy cold miles along the cancal this evening, wasnt feeling the best today after a few scoops last night. Legs fet great but the rest of the body suffered.

Monday 22nd November
    Ended up going to see Harry snotter last night so didnt get back until 9pm. So 4 late miles along the canal , cold cold cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Are you kidding me?! You're pounding away the miles the last few weeks. I'm nowhere near as capable as you! I'm starting to think I may not even break my Dublin time :( Sure we'll see! Going to see the boy wizard myself tonight - I'm most excited about having a rake of junk food for dinner! :D

Tuesday 23rd November
    Today I was feeling just to good all day couldnt wait to get going tonight. Maybe that wasnt a good thing as I went mental...

6 X 800m
    1. 3:09
    2. 3:09
    3. 3:20 :(
    4. 3:22 :(
    5. 3:18
    6. 3:18
    First 2 reps left wrecked so needed go get my act together recoverd ok and finished strong over the last 2. I am starting to see a pattern to this now... every couple of weeks I go a bit mad but this is mostly ue to making some progress and the effort level = faster pace. Will be banging out 3:10's in 4-6 week if all goes well. Not sure if the extra long warmup today added to the pace but was so cold out I decided to show up about 15 mins early.

Miles today 6.8

Wed 24th November
    5 miles recovery run today, legs felt really good today, was nice to be out on the grass today rather then a night time run.

Thursday 25th Nov
    A shade under 7 miles today legs felt tired form the start so just turned off the garmin and enjoyed the park. Lots of mud and ice but very nice day for it.

Friday 26th November
    Rest day today. Spikes have been dug out for tomorrow not going 100% in the race but just need one more hard run prior to the half. Will get an easy long run done on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Friday 26th November
    Rest day today. Spikes have been dug out for tomorrow not going 100% in the race but just need one more hard run prior to the half. Will get an easy long run done on Sunday.

Good luck tomorrow - enjoy

Sat 27th November
    Nice hard XC race today this course is really testing some fast sections lots of sharp hills a rive to cross and knee deep mud. Really enjoyed the run today wen out hard enough after a mile i cough a few people and shuld have tucked in for a while but as always decided to push on, paid for this on the second lap but managed to recover and finsh strong. Prob my best run of the year so far. I don't know what it is about XC running but seems to always run better in these races, my average pace was only 8-10 second per mile slower then the beach race 2 weeks ago. Had jsut cleand the blood out of my spikes the other day but have a few new cuts again, nothing to bad.

When is the inter clubs ? ;)

3.86 miles(6k) 30:44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play shels, that was some good running today!! 8-10 seconds a mile slower than the beach is a significant improvement IMO considering what we had to deal with today.

Looks like I've a lot more catching up to do on you, about 3:30 down today :eek:

xebec wrote: »
    Fair play shels, that was some good running today!! 8-10 seconds a mile slower than the beach is a significant improvement IMO considering what we had to deal with today.

Looks like I've a lot more catching up to do on you, about 3:30 down today :eek:

Yep thats 2:2 for they year I think, and i'm only gettting faster now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Yep thats 2:2 for they year I think, and i'm only gettting faster now :)

2:2 in the last few weeks, I'll happily go back and start looking at results from earlier in the year if you like :P Anyway, I'll be back soon!

xebec wrote: »
    2:2 in the last few weeks, I'll happily go back and start looking at results from earlier in the year if you like :P Anyway, I'll be back soon!

:) you wont find too much, think this was only my 5 race this year ;).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good going Shels.

Sunday 28th November
    Handy 5 miles this morning , though better of doing a long one today as the legs are shot after yesterday, the course took a lot more out of me then expected. One more long one then Waterford but happy with the way things are going right now,

Monday 29th November
    5.7 snow coverd miles, was a real nice run as it was getting dark.

Tuesday 30th November
    6 miles very easy, lots of fresh snow about so it was really nice running. Legs a little tired but felt good today.

Where and when are you doing your snow runs? And what type of footwear are you sporting? I'd like to not be confined to the gym until July :rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    Where and when are you doing your snow runs? And what type of footwear are you sporting? I'd like to not be confined to the gym until July :rolleyes:
    Doing all the runs in a local park so all on grass and in normal runners. It's grand on fresh snow as there is lots of grip. Just a little harder on the legs. Trying to hold off on getting on the dreadmill myself.

• Advertisement

It's an absolute nightmare of an invention!

Cool, hopefully i'll get to a park at the weekend. It won't be before then with the weather and having to work during daylight hours. Tear.

Advertisement