Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭lolie

herrzeba wrote: »
    I was just talking with meteor customer service. They said if I want the phone to be unlocked as a first time Meteor bill pay customer they will do it after 2 months.

I am on pre pay now. I was told they can transfer my prepay balance into bill pay, I will be of course keeping my old number. When asked can I top up 2 months in advance to have the phone unlocked I was told NO. Because they want to see I'm a faithful customer and I'm paying my bills on time.

With Smart Plan 12-months contract 30€ a month including 1gb data handset costs 169.99€. This is almost this same price as Emobile, but Meteor still gives you free Meteor to Meteor txt and calls for a year. Overall if you don't spend more that you have on your bill pay plan after a year you end up paying € 530 (handset + 12x 30€) for Nokia N8 while pre pay handset costs €459 without any price plan. So it's definitely a good deal for Meteor customer.

I will check personally today in the shop about this unlocking issue.

how is meteor coverage i ur area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

who_ru wrote: »
    hi guys,

what store, online or high street, seems to have the best price on the N8 to buy outright?

I reckon o2 do, €386 on prepay once you use O2COUPON to get €42 off. Next closest is vodafone, €409 online or €419 instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Davy wrote: »
    I reckon o2 do, €386 on prepay once you use O2COUPON to get €42 off. Next closest is vodafone, €409 online or €419 instore.

hpoefully the prices will drop soon very expensive is the N8
    the C7 is out next week starting from 299 on voda thats wat they said it will be anyway
    I SEEN o2 MAG AND THEY have it at 379
    meteor say it will start at 19 euro billpay no word on PAYG yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

The max price for n8 on meteor bill pay is 150e. Which i payed. And still on 25 euro tarriff with 5e for 250mb pm. That's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I was just talking with meteor customer service. They said if I want the phone to be unlocked as a first time Meteor bill pay customer they will do it after 2 months....

When asked can I top up 2 months in advance to have the phone unlocked I was told NO. Because they want to see I'm a faithful customer and I'm paying my bills on time.

I have since received confirmation from Emobile that they would unlock my N8(which I got today :D) after the 14 days cooling off period was up. Not that it mattered - I can confirm that the N8 with Emobile is UNLOCKED.

With Smart Plan 12-months contract 30€ a month including 1gb data handset costs 169.99€. This is almost this same price as Emobile, but Meteor still gives you free Meteor to Meteor txt and calls for a year. Overall if you don't spend more that you have on your bill pay plan after a year you end up paying € 530 (handset + 12x 30€) for Nokia N8 while pre pay handset costs €459 without any price plan. So it's definitely a good deal for Meteor customer.

I went on the €14 a month Emobile plan over 18 months (100 minutes/100 texts and unlimited landline calls) = 14*18 plus €149 for the phone = total cost over 18 months of €401. (without data)

You could do €19 a month for 12 months = 19*12+€149 = €377. Given that this includes the 100 minutes and texts and unlimited landlines I can't see any reason to get a pay as u go whatsover. And it's unlocked too.
    Davy wrote: »

If my figures are correct the €377 option over 12 months seems cheapest way of getting the N8 - however, another €24 gives you another 6 months of 100 minutes/texts and unlimited landlines hence my choice.

Love the handset so far - though individual applications such as maps defaulted to network data and caught me out.

In relation to Emobile - just tried going online and typing in my number and pin on their website and was able to look at all calls and individual data sessions used today with pricing. Impressed.

• Advertisement

I went on the €14 a month Emobile plan over 18 months (100 minutes/100 texts and unlimited landline calls) = 14*18 plus €149 for the phone = total cost over 18 months of €401.

i thinkin of goin on that plan meself, prepay on all networks a ripoff. wots ur coverage like compared to old phone? thikin of waitin to see if they get the blue one but seen on vodafone & o2 sites the black one sold out already so mite have to get d finger out and buy d black one on emobile b4 its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

some answers... My e-mobile n8 is not network locked... worked fully with my wife's o2 sim. As far as i know, symbian 3 is upgradable even if branded.. upgrades are per application, not just 'all or nothing' I'm not even sure there is such a thing as branded firmware any more: operators can pre-load applications on top of the stock OS, but the days of crippleware are gone.... I hope. CPU is plenty fast for this phone.. symbian is very resource-efficient, way more than android, and the GPU is a top of class device. Games performance is identical to iphone. I left o2 (after thirteen years) because they wanted 130 more than anyone else for this phone. Browser needs work (and has a stupid bug that adds extra spaces to text you type, as you can see... ;) ), but forthcoming one looks really good. Call quality is phenomenal. Two people commented on how good it was, without knowing I had a new phone. Battery life is very good, a couple of days between charges is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

lolie wrote: »
    I went on the €14 a month Emobile plan over 18 months (100 minutes/100 texts and unlimited landline calls) = 14*18 plus €149 for the phone = total cost over 18 months of €401.

i thinkin of goin on that plan meself, prepay on all networks a ripoff. wots ur coverage like compared to old phone? thikin of waitin to see if they get the blue one but seen on vodafone & o2 sites the black one sold out already so mite have to get d finger out and buy d black one on emobile b4 its gone

coverage excellent so far. I have the black one but that's what I wanted. Just bear in mind the €14 option does not include data. That's €10 a month extra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Any chance somebody would throw up a few pics so we can examine the quality?

lolie wrote: »

coverage excellent so far. I have the black one but that's what I wanted. Just bear in mind the €14 option does not include data. That's €10 a month extra...

cheers. knew that already, have wifi at home so sorted fof data. any negatives so far apart from browser. usin nok n73 almost 4yrs now so think it just mite be time for change;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I currently have an iPhone 3GS but O2 rang me yesterday and said I had an upgrade which allows me to get any phone for free. I'm stuck between the Nokia N8, iPhone 4 or HTC HD7. I run an eBay store through my iPhone so the next phone needs to have really good email capability. Does the N8 have good email? I use Gmail if that helps. What's important to me in email for eBay is that I can click into a mail, scroll down and click on the contact buyer tab which then redirects me to eBay by opening up a separate tab in the browser which allows me to respond to buyers questions. Can the N8 do this really well like the iPhone does? For anyone who has used email in an iPhone and N8, what do you think?

Everyone keeps telling me to get the iPhone 4 or HTC HD7 but I love the fact that so much can be done with the N8. It's like a mini computer. What should I do?

without changing settings from the box i took a few pics from top of dublin mountain the other day. showed to lads in work and they were impressed with clarity at max zoom. realised then the default setting is 9 mp not 12! don't have any on comp to post at the mo. sorry. No harm having some data plan, just in case. the phone does default to wap and very easy to run up some ridiculous charges. meteor do 5e for 250mb. i was told i had to change to 1 gb data by cust services but the shop staff said otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Any chance somebody would throw up a few pics so we can examine the quality?

I will get round to it on friday or saturday, I want to compare with other handsets to see the difference so will take a little longer.

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Does the N8 have good email? I use Gmail if that helps. What's important to me in email for eBay is that I can click into a mail, scroll down and click on the contact buyer tab which then redirects me to eBay by opening up a separate tab in the browser which allows me to respond to buyers questions. Can the N8 do this really well like the iPhone does? For anyone who has used email in an iPhone and N8, what do you think?

It has pretty good email, it will do what you describe right out of the box. All you need to enter is your email and password. Its set up for gmail, and ovi, hotmail etc already.

The only person who can decide on buying it over the iphone is you :pac:

are there any good phone cases for n8, does anyone know?

dr ro wrote: »
    are there any good phone cases for n8, does anyone know?

Few to choose from here for a start:> http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories?phoneid=23285

I haven't bothered getting one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Davy i was reading a review about the N8 and it said that the screen was tough(gorilla screen what ever that is) and it could take a good knock the same with the back.

Davy i was reading a review about the N8 and it said that the screen was tough(gorilla screen what ever that is) and it could take a good knock the same with the back.

Ye, I think the galaxy has the same stuff, but I still wouldn't be bouncing it off the floor to try it out! Its not exactly a landrover phone

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

Just to let people know got my N8 from carphone in bandon today. An unbelieveable upgrade deal €69.99 for phone and €35 a month with 200mins & 200text 1gb data. And the best part of it all she was looking at the n95 8gb in my hand and said do you want to keep it or trade it in? I said how much she said €90 trade in I said its yours. So i had €20 to spend on on bit and bobs in store. Basically got the thing for free. Well happy:D

That was with Meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Voyager II wrote: »
    Just to let people know got my N8 from carphone in bandon today. An unbelieveable upgrade deal €69.99 for phone and €35 a month with 200mins & 200text 1gb data. And the best part of it all she was looking at the n95 8gb in my hand and said do you want to keep it or trade it in? I said how much she said €90 trade in I said its yours. So i had €20 to spend on on bit and bobs in store. Basically got the thing for free. Well happy:D

That was with Meteor
    Did you get free Meteor to Meteor?!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

Yes free calls and text to meteor phones

• Advertisement

Voyager II wrote: »

That was with Meteor

i assume it woz the dark grey n8 you got! wot do ya think of the colour and the phone itself. want to get the blue one by chrimbo but me thinks more chance of santy bringin it in his sack:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Same for me. Got it for free in CPW by trading in my old N95 for 90 bucks. Got a screen protectors and a generic leather(?) case to go with it.

Best deal I've seen in ages.

Some initial impressions for those who are interested:

- Been using it since Thursday last and can say battery isn't too bad - not nearly as bad as the bro's Galaxy.

- The camera is amazing - that was the main selling point for me. Using over the wknd and even indoor night shots are surprisingly good. The detail when you zoom in on a photo is fantastic - 12MP to thank for this. There are quite a lot of settings to fool around with for those inclined - not just a point and shooter.

- The Nokia maps are superb in their detail but the "Drive" routing is a little off. Not as good as the Garmin I had on the N95. Sometimes it sends me on daft routings. As it connects to Data, the Maps start up is almost instant. The N95 GPS only setting would take for freakin ever nearly. I have to figure out yet how to run it on GPS only. Does anyone know if it's possible to load the Garmin software on the N8?

Size - wouldn't like anything bigger. Bros Galaxy S is bit too big. It's got metal casing so the build is superb - not at all cheap plasticy feel like some.
    Weight wise is much better than N95 and not nearly as clunky.

The Bad - Symbian - well, tbh, not as bad as everyone makes out. It's a little like Windows OS. You have to nearly know where to look to tweak stuff where as Android etc is much more intuitive. But, I can imagine that this would probably have been THE best smartphone if Nokia had bit the bullet and gone for Android - but that's another story!!

Would I recommend - yes! I had been waiting nearly all year for this phone and almost gave in a few times. Was it because it was Nokia - no - it was because of the hardware. My 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

hi
    can any1 tell me how to delete songs from the music player on my N8?

Press and hold over the song to be deleted, this brings up a small menu. This method is used in other places too.

dr ro wrote: »
    Press and hold over the song to be deleted, this brings up a small menu. This method is used in other places too.
    cheers dude!

has any1 tried any 3rd party browser's yet??
    which 1 would you reccomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Opera Mini works fine. Download it for free from the Ovi store.

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Opera Mini works fine. Download it for free from the Ovi store.
    have you tried the "ovi browser"
    i saw it today on the ovi store today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

apparantly there is issues with some N8s connecting to the ovi store:eek:

• Advertisement

no issues with my 1 thank god. Sure you can always use a laptop

Advertisement