Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

dr ro wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you about meteor product info release but i meant 50 for top package to 150 for cheapest package.

I

Does anyone know if Vodafone have restrictions on their Perfect Choice Access Plus plans ?
    Like a restricted APN or no tethering or such ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

If its the same deal on Vodafone as the Desire HD on the 45€/month plan it will possibly be 500mb not 2gb allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

bogman wrote: »
    If its the same deal on Vodafone as the Desire HD on the 45€/month plan it will possibly be 500mb not 2gb allowance

Don't think so, it's definitely 2GB

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/paymonthly/porting/index.jsp?handset=N8BLK&manufacturerSelected=ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Fine, probably because its the online shop, my deal at the store yesterday with the Perfect Choice Access Plus 150 plan gives only 500mb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

must get a look at all plans for one thing this handset is highly anticipated they ought not to be highering the price,18 months contracts are rediculous,you end up paying more than the phone costs,so could the N8 be a network hopping factor? sim free is the way to go or buy one unlocked if you is happy with current terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

long_b wrote: »

That just hasnt been updated by vf, click on the 2gb symbol and it will tell you that the data allowance has been reduced to 500mb as of the 1.10.2010,
    vodafone have the worst billpay offers, at the mo you can get 200mins&texts & 1gb off meteor for €25p/m compared to €45p/m off vf for 150mins&texts and 500mb,
    even vf's payg offer of €30 top up is better, it gives free vf calls&texts and 250mb of data and you still have your €30 to spend on calls &texts.

saying that i just got the n8 for 309 with my cheerup voucher, sweeeet!:p

in the long run unless everyone you call is vf, you are getting ripped off

jimmy_t wrote: »
    That just hasnt been updated by vf, click on the 2gb symbol and it will tell you that the data allowance has been reduced to 500mb as of the 1.10.2010,
    vodafone have the worst billpay offers, at the mo you can get 200mins&texts & 1gb off meteor for €25p/m compared to €45p/m off vf for 150mins&texts and 500mb,
    even vf's payg offer of €30 top up is better, it gives free vf calls&texts and 250mb of data and you still have your €30 to spend on calls &texts.

309 thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

jimmy_t wrote: »
    vodafone have the worst billpay offers, at the mo you can get 200mins&texts & 1gb off meteor for 25p/m compared to 45p/m off vf for 150mins&texts and 500mb,
    even vf's payg offer of 30 top up is better, it gives free vf calls&texts and 250mb of data and you still have your 30 to spend on calls &texts.

Just a small point on that meteor offer. 200 mins and text and 1gb is 25 for new customers only. 35 for existing. How is your new phone anyway.

just rang six meteor stores for interest and guess what none will answer
    and whats funny i stood outside one store and guess what they all just stand at till doing nothing
    customer service my backs*de

FINALLY some confirmation

they will not be having the N8 on PAYG
    JUST BILL PAY thats just rediculous

meteor you are unreal all the potential you had all the customers you lost ,you will loose more now

and its not in stock until later today or tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

dr ro wrote: »
    Just a small point on that meteor offer. 200 mins and text and 1gb is 25 for new customers only. 35 for existing. How is your new phone anyway.

i ordered it tuesday night so didnt expect it til yesterday but it never arrived got a text off vf at 8pm last night to say it was dispatched so i probably shouldnt be expecting it today either, disappointing as they promise next day delivery if you order before 3 the previous day, presume its a stock issue or something like that.:(

UPDATE: phone just arrived, sweet, ill let ye know what its like after a weekend of use!

rumour has it that all N8,s are not locked as the networks had no time to produce there own firmware ,branding can you N8 owners check this out that have bought from a network
    this happened with 3 on there N96 so it could be true..........:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Happens all the time on first batch the networks get. Downside is they can be buggy thats the risk you take

Davy wrote: »
    Happens all the time on first batch the networks get. Downside is they can be buggy thats the risk you take

well they are buggy gives people a chance to buy them instead of waiting though .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Handy for reselling if it is indeed unlocked. Also not being branded should help for product updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Davy wrote: »
    Handy for reselling if it is indeed unlocked. Also not being branded should help for product updates

Davy how can you find out for definite that a handset is unlocked without asking the guy in the store:o,I just called three to inform them that they are 120e more expensive than VF how can they justify that.

yes very true

Davy how can you find out for definite that a handset is unlocked without asking the guy in the store:o,I just called three to inform them that they are 120e more expensive than VF how can they justify that.

Apart from asking, if the handset is in a nokia box, as opposed to a Three or VF box is usually not locked. All networks will possible have the unlocked ones

Ah ok i just checked the box off my N97 there is only a small sticker at the side with 3 ROI.

Ah ok i just checked the box off my N97 there is only a small sticker at the side with 3 ROI.

Ye, and thats only their as a tamper seal

• Advertisement

just got mine well bout half hour ago not actually mad bout it think il stick with e5 has not let me down yet .so i think i shall sell it might give it a day or two

Jaysus Jimmey you were not long in putting it up on Adverts.ie:D if you play around with it for a few days will you post your findings.

should of just got the C7 i had a play around with these a while back and the C7 was more appealing so i will get one tomor much better feel to it less of a camera but i aint a photographer so it dont really matter LOL:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

hi. does any1 know what emobile are chargin for the n8 as im thinkin of switching. i see dell usa sellin it for $549 sim free online and last week had the grey one for $449 but not anymore. i assume it would be out of warranty over here anyway

jimmynokia wrote: »
    just got mine well bout half hour ago not actually mad bout it think il stick with e5 has not let me down yet .so i think i shall sell it might give it a day or two
    Seeing as you were aware of the spec and look long before the release and the promises of soon to be released firmware upgrades, what is it that you're not mad about and Why did you get it? Would you recommend not getting one to someone thinking about it?

it just did not meet expectations that is all that does not count for a decision maker for everybody it is a nice piece of kit i think the C7 is more what im into .

just looking through spec of c7 and seems very similar to n8, just not quite as good. What's it got that makes it better for you

when both in hand the C 7 feels and looks better they day the Nokia rep came in the c7 was the first one i picked up its so sleek and smooth fairly heavy but its just more eye catching too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

so is the N8 unlocked from Vodafone or any other operator? anyone know yet? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

e-Mobile: €149 Billpay, on a 12-month contract. Minimum bill is 100 min + 100 text + free to landlines + 1Gbyte data = €29/mo. You can get that down to €25/mo if you sign up for 18 months.

Meteor €149 also on Billpay (surprise, surprise - same as e-Mobile)

For me, the e-Mobile offer was the best deal, so I signed up yesterday. Interestingly, the MMS settings still say my server is "Meteor" ;)

3 are officially launching this today.

I can check the SIM-lock on my phone this evening.

So far, I really like it: only downsides are the web browser and some text entry/keyboard niggles. I saw a video of the new browser last week, and that made up my mind (the clip has been pulled since).

Advertisement