Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I'm just waiting for jimmynokia to post one of these on adverts. :p

step ahead of ya i got a few do ya want one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Just got mine yesterday, very happy with it, except for one issue, the radio... the reception seems to be crap, with the sound fading in and out repeatedly and thats in normally good reception areas. Anyone else have the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Has anybody used the fm transmitter or usb on the go? I'm wondering if it could be hooked up to a 1 TB external with its own power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

wats the software feel like ? any review from any user

its pretty good ,faster than previous s60 and good at multitasking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

i m using htc desire at the moment. was using iphone before that , how u compare it with android and ios

android has faster web capabilities but you can install opera as your browser in the N8,everything else works just fine ,and there is new updates for the nokia web browser coming and some exciting apps i player angry birds on the N8 and is so smooth .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just got mine yesterday, very happy with it, except for one issue, the radio... the reception seems to be crap, with the sound fading in and out repeatedly and thats in normally good reception areas. Anyone else have the same issue?

I suspect you need to turn off AF function on your radio (this is where the radio would automatically switch frequencies (micro-adjustments) when it feels the signal isn't strong enough - leading to a lack of sound for a few seconds).

At least, that's what happened with my 5800 - I just turned AF off.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

No i listened to the radio on it for half an hour last night in the car on several different radio stations and reception was perfect, loved the feature where the title and artist of the song being played on the radio comes up on the screen!
    Has anybody used the fm transmitter or usb on the go? I'm wondering if it could be hooked up to a 1 TB external with its own power supply.

i can check out that for you this evening or over the weekend
    masker wrote: »
    wats the software feel like ? any review from any user

the software is quite good, little bits of lag every now and then but that could be just my handset, slow to rotate the screen too which can be annoying, not very annoying just a little annoying, widgets are brilliant, i have to say i love the home screens, definately better than iphone and imo also better than android, i love the way theyre circular (ie the end is the beginning), you can get 6 widgets or 24 apps on each screen so i dont see the need for more than 3 and each screen is only one swipe away. ovi maps is good. games are great, never any lag or issue, need for speed is very good and as jimmynokia said angry birds looks great and is great fun. music player is great. web browser is crying out for its update. battery life is really surprisingly good if you dont play games or use flash, if you do youll only get a day, writing messages can be annoying until you get used to it, keyboard layout is quite good and the prediction is great, yahoo email sync was seamless, so was th social app to facebook and twitter, camera is unreal, sync to wmp is very handy, file manager is good, loads of great little things about it and tasty features, i could go on for ages, very happy with phone, so to recap everything about it is between good to great except for: occasional lag, messenger can be annoying, and web browser needs an update. hopefully the next firmware will sort at least 2 of these out and itll become a really great phone but right now its a very good phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

It turned out to be a user error on my part, hadn't forced the jack in far enough, now the radio is perfect. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Bought the N8 yesterday on O2 PrePay, delighted with the phone. First smart phone and have to say it has everything I need on it.

The music player is great and the loud speaker is nice and clear. The FM transmitter is a nice feature too.

Camera is very good aswel as video.

Hardware is very well built.

Display is very nice.

Battery seems to be good the power saver mode is excellent.

I upgraded from a Samsung C3050 so this is a big improvement! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

hi guys,

what store, online or high street, seems to have the best price on the N8 to buy outright?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads whats the UI like on the N8 is it as fast as the iphone4?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Can anybody tell me if megavideo plays ok on the N8? Also, does tvpc.com channels work on it eg Fox, ABC, etc. I know it's not the full flash player on it so was wondering how it handles these. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

I went into a O2 store in Limerick to look at a N8. I 'm on O2 billpay and I have a upgrade available at the lowest level so I could get it for euro289. However I don't realy need it... so I asked if it would be locked to the network as I wouldn't be buying it if it was. The sales assistant didn't exactly say that it would be, but that they would have to send away for the unlock code. They couldn't say when the unlock code would be forthcoming either. All seemed a bit odd to me. I was actually suprised that would offer to unlock it at all as I thought you had to have it for 12 months before they would do this. Makes me wonder why they lock them in the first place if they will offer to unlock them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Hi guys was just wonderig does the usb charging affect battery life as my phone keeps charging evrerytime I go to snych up my music etc
    normally i would be fairly anal about letting the battery empty on my other phones before re charging but have not has a usb re-chargable phone before

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

jeremyr62 wrote: »
    I went into a O2 store in Limerick to look at a N8. I 'm on O2 billpay and I have a upgrade available at the lowest level so I could get it for euro289. However I don't realy need it... so I asked if it would be locked to the network as I wouldn't be buying it if it was. The sales assistant didn't exactly say that it would be, but that they would have to send away for the unlock code. They couldn't say when the unlock code would be forthcoming either. All seemed a bit odd to me. I was actually suprised that would offer to unlock it at all as I thought you had to have it for 12 months before they would do this. Makes me wonder why they lock them in the first place if they will offer to unlock them straight away.

289 is a ridiculous price to pay on a contract. eMobile are charging 149 as far as I know on their lowest plan. I'll be getting it off them for 99.

The mobile networks, if they are customer oriented, will unlock a phone for a customer in a timely fashion. One is not paying the respective network only to use their network for the contract period. One pays them the initial contract associated price and the monthly fee for the calls/mins/data available. As far as I see it this is only two things - buying the phone on the basis of adhering to the agreed contract fee for the 12 or 18 months and getting calls/mins/data as well. Locked/unlocked should not come into it. Keeping a phone locked for a customer is very poor customer care, it goes completely against the customer's needs.

Given that the networks here charge ridiculous amounts for data roaming (and the media have engaged in a lazy analysis of this issue, not even mentioning the facts at hand) and the skyrocketing use of smartphones by the Irish market, there is no way they can hope to keep a customer on side by not unlocking the handset in question immediately when a customer asks for this. What would be the point of keeping a handset locked? There is no domestic financial benefit for a customer during the contract period so this really has more to do with their gouging of customers through their roaming pricing for which there is zero competition (with the exception of Three perhaps with their networks in other member states).

They get away with their gouging abroad because the media are not doing their job on this aspect of pricing and the public doesn't seem to use roaming that much. Roaming in the UK is cheaper than the rest of the EU so it would seem that where there is a real need for roaming the pricing falls. So the networks get to sit on their asses with regards to the rest of the EU. The Commission capping calls/texts slightly makes the roaming customer satisfied enough that he doesn't care to complain, and reduces the image of the networks as profiteers without anything done on the part of the networks - in fact they lobbied against any interference in their price gouging of roaming for calls/texts.

The media let the rip off from data roaming go completely under the radar. Why are they so lazy? Is it that they don't understand the facts? On the one hand we have the Commission caps in this area: 1. the wholesale cap of 80 cent up until 30.06.2011, then 50 cent on 01.07.2011. This is the maximum price the Irish networks have to pay the local operator for 1 megabyte of data. 2. The networks have to stop their customers from going over 60.5 eur of data roaming, unless the customer opts out of this cap. This means the profiteering is minimised, but the profiteering is not stopped at all. The networks still charge ridiculous amounts per megabyte: 02/Vodafone some 5/6 eur per mb, Meteor/eMobile 10.24 per mb. It's very strange the the Commission has gone for these wholesale caps rather than retail caps. They do nothing for the customer and allow the networks to make huge profits from each megabyte used.

So given the above, it would be stupid for any of the networks not to agree to unlock a handset at the request of a customer, and if the customer is aware of the ridiculous pricing they will demand for the handset to be unlocked and will get it unlocked easily.

Sorry for such a long rant.

Don't apologise, that was useful. I now see I can get the phone much cheaper by moving networks. I suppose my next question is, is this what phone/network savvy people do? Everytime their contract expires they move networks or negotiate with their existing network to get the phone cheaper and unlocked pretty much straightaway?

This has moved off the N8 so to keep it on topic the one I looked at in the O2shop didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. However I do like Symbian so if I don't get an N8 I will be getting the E7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

How good is the camera? What's the picture quality like and can you take photos in black & white, cool blue, sepia etc? I often find myself near something wanting to take a more panoramic photo. Is the lens on the N8 good for that sort of photo?

How long could you record for on it, and is the quality (picture and sound) excellent?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

emobile now have the n8 on the website, picture of both the dark grey and the blue one but only have dark grey one in stock. hope their gettin in the blue one. if they do then im buyin:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Dionysus wrote: »
    How good is the camera? What's the picture quality like and can you take photos in black & white, cool blue, sepia etc? I often find myself near something wanting to take a more panoramic photo. Is the lens on the N8 good for that sort of photo?

How long could you record for on it, and is the quality (picture and sound) excellent?

Thanks.
    Google is always your friend.....there are some amazing pictures going around from the device!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Queerdub wrote: »
    eMobile are charging 149 as far as I know on their lowest plan. I'll be getting it off them for 99. ........The mobile networks, if they are customer oriented, will unlock a phone for a customer in a timely fashion. ......Keeping a phone locked for a customer is very poor customer care, it goes completely against the customer's needs......

So given the above, it would be stupid for any of the networks not to agree to unlock a handset at the request of a customer,

Emailed Emobile - their response for unlocking is as follows:

"The procedure for requesting unlocking code is that you should have topped up by 130EUR as a registered pay as you go customer or pay the same amount in bills as a bill pay customer."

So if I go on a €14 a month plan do I have to wait 10 months to unlock? Or could I frontload them with an upfront €130 to cover the next 10 bills? That's what I've emailed them with and am waiting for response.

ps any update on unlock status of N8's from various networks i.e are they all unlocked anyway?

Emailed Emobile - their response for unlocking is as follows:

"The procedure for requesting unlocking code is that you should have topped up by 130EUR as a registered pay as you go customer or pay the same amount in bills as a bill pay customer."

So if I go on a €14 a month plan do I have to wait 10 months to unlock? Or could I frontload them with an upfront €130 to cover the next 10 bills? That's what I've emailed them with and am waiting for response.

ps any update on unlock status of N8's from various networks i.e are they all unlocked anyway?

they will allow you to credit your account with 130eur and will unlock your handset straight away. That's what meteor did for me. But I'll give eMobile hell over this, i don't want to be putting money on my account without a fight. I feel very strongly on this unlocked handsets issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks. Are you just assuming they would let people frontload their accounts because Meteor allow that or do you know Emobile do this in their own right?

Let us know how you get on!

Queerdub wrote: »
    they will allow you to credit your account with 130eur and will unlock your handset straight away. That's what meteor did for me. But I'll give eMobile hell over this, i don't want to be putting money on my account without a fight. I feel very strongly on this unlocked handsets issue.

why do you feel so strong? Most of the first batch of a new high end model is not branded either due to allow for immediate update with firmware or no time to produce the operator branding etc ,if you know somebody in 3 ask them see if they tell you or try slip another sim in voda was told to tell people they where locked so i would presume they all where,

Thanks. Are you just assuming they would let people frontload their accounts because Meteor allow that or do you know Emobile do this in their own right?

Let us know how you get on!

assuming based on similar practices as they are both part of eircom. Will let you know

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Most of the first batch of a new high end model is not branded either due to allow for immediate update with firmware or no time to produce the operator branding etc ,

Yeah, thats why I want an unlocked one. The new Symbian 3 models will be getting plenty of updates and I don't want to be locked to a network firmware that never gets updated (O2 E71 as an example). I realise this is not the same as being simlocked to a network but I don't want that either...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Dionysus wrote: »

Thanks.

camera is excellent, no default panoramic mode included but there is a free app on ovi called nokia panorama that allows you to take great panoramic shots through a guided ui. b&w, sepia, normal, and vivid are the default options for colour tone.

got this last wednesday from vodafone as an upgrade and its unlocked/unbranded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The processor is 680Mhz, whereas a lot of smartphones are offering 1Ghz. Do any of you who have used the Nokia N8 feel that this processor speed has proved to be a hindrance in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 herrzeba

I was just talking with meteor customer service. They said if I want the phone to be unlocked as a first time Meteor bill pay customer they will do it after 2 months.

I am on pre pay now. I was told they can transfer my prepay balance into bill pay, I will be of course keeping my old number. When asked can I top up 2 months in advance to have the phone unlocked I was told NO. Because they want to see I'm a faithful customer and I'm paying my bills on time.

With Smart Plan 12-months contract 30€ a month including 1gb data handset costs 169.99€. This is almost this same price as Emobile, but Meteor still gives you free Meteor to Meteor txt and calls for a year. Overall if you don't spend more that you have on your bill pay plan after a year you end up paying € 530 (handset + 12x 30€) for Nokia N8 while pre pay handset costs €459 without any price plan. So it's definitely a good deal for Meteor customer.

I will check personally today in the shop about this unlocking issue.

Advertisement