Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

yeah but the link has to be sent to phone for any of the apps :mad:

voda are having alot back with the browser

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jimmynokia wrote: »

I dont follow ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

jimmynokia wrote: »

voda are having alot back with the browser

ive had no problems downloading or connecting or browsing ovi, works like a charm
    Davy wrote: »
    I dont follow ya?

you cant dowload an app from the ovi store straight to your laptop and then load to your phone, it only sends a link via text to your phone containing the ovi page where you can download it directly, id much prefer if it wasnt like this, i presume its an ovi suite kind of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

hi
    i cant seem to find the "payment settings" option in the ovi store menu, i have clicked account and looked all over but still cant find it.

could some1 please point me in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I cant connect to the Ovi store through my home LAN. I have to use my credit!! Any way around this??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Its saying "Unable To Sign In" through the LAN but when i go through it with my network it works grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

I'm on Meteor and I cannot log onto OVI Store, Nokia Account, Fcebook ect - saying Page Not Found

Any ideas
    Cheers

Just got the N8 today and I really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Really wanted this phone, but its been a disaster for my workmate. Got one a few weeks ago, after three days the thing bricked. Brought it back to the store, got another one yesterday as a replacement, it died last night, won't turn on even though it's been charged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nerin wrote: »
    Really wanted this phone, but its been a disaster for my workmate. Got one a few weeks ago, after three days the thing bricked. Brought it back to the store, got another one yesterday as a replacement, it died last night, won't turn on even though it's been charged.

That seems mad, and very very unlucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Jackie o can you connect to any other websites.

Sitec wrote: »
    I cant connect to the Ovi store through my home LAN. I have to use my credit!! Any way around this??:confused:

This a settings mistake, its not an Ovi store restriction.

When you open the ovi store app, it will show you in the top left corner what connection its using, is it connecting to your wlan first off? Can you browse the store?

This a settings mistake, its not an Ovi store restriction.

When you open the ovi store app, it will show you in the top left corner what connection its using, is it connecting to your wlan first off? Can you browse the store?
    I tried this.

* Went to settings>connectivity>settings>data use in home network>WLAN only.

-Then went to OVI Store. All that comes up is "Unable to connect to service. Try again later."

* Went to settings>connectivity>settings>data use in home network> Always ask.

- I then try to connect to OVI Store, it connects to 02 WAP and it works.
    Google, Youtube etc all work with WLAN

:confused::confused::confused:

It wants to connect to Wap as that is set as default connection. You wlan APN is saved in internet destination. Go back to destinations, and click options, default connection, and then select 'internet' = problem solved.

Then click ovi store app and not a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Hi guys im a new member hoping someone can answer a question for me,i bought the n8 recently on vodafone with 150mins/txts and 500mb data,the thing is the phone constantly connects to the vodafone isp service but doesnt seem to disconnect itself the way the mail through vodafone live does when its finished syncing.I can disable the isp ok,just wondering why its always on and why do vodafone have 2 ways to connect when i was with 02 there was only one connection.

ofcork wrote: »
    Hi guys im a new member hoping someone can answer a question for me,i bought the n8 recently on vodafone with 150mins/txts and 500mb data,the thing is the phone constantly connects to the vodafone isp service but doesnt seem to disconnect itself the way the mail through vodafone live does when its finished syncing.I can disable the isp ok,just wondering why its always on and why do vodafone have 2 ways to connect when i was with 02 there was only one connection.

Its connecting because of a setting in the handset. Did you setup email syncing in the 'Mail' app on the handset?

This would be the most common reason. You can set it to connect are only certain times, certain days etc or to be on all the time.

o2 also have two different connections you just way not have noticed, the difference is they only charge one rate, where where vodafone charge two different rates. The live is older/slower, and the ISP is more for true browsing, its a faster service. Hope this helps, any questions just ask

It wants to connect to Wap as that is set as default connection. You wlan APN is saved in internet destination. Go back to destinations, and click options, default connection, and then select 'internet' = problem solved.

Then click ovi store app and not a problem :)
    My good man i do believe i owe you a beer!;)

Worked like a charm, thanks very much!

Does the mail use isp to connect so rather than live also i assume i wont be charged as long as i stay inside my 500mb limit?

ofcork wrote: »
    Does the mail use isp to connect so rather than live also i assume i wont be charged as long as i stay inside my 500mb limit?

The mail app can work with either ISP or 'live'. Which one it connects to depends on how you set the phone. You wont be charged inside the 500mb ofcourse if both are covered in your plan.

• Advertisement

I havent had anything yet, no reboot, hard resets etc.

Very sturdy and robust. I have managed to mark cover though, got scraped off steel :(

Its an improvement to the 5800 in my eyes. The response to the touchscreen is pretty bang on in my experience so far. Often 4 or 5 things going at the same time, and it doesnt seem to effect it.

I find it similar to the 5800 which i loved tbh even if the screen was small,you see the menus and they all look similar,it is sturdy alright i have dropped mine twice still ok.i have used the brothers htc desire and i would have to say it is android is a better system and he also has free music as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

hi
    i cant seem to find the "payment settings" option in the ovi store menu, i have clicked account and looked all over but still cant find it.

could some1 please point me in the right direction
    can some1 point out where i should see "payment settings" in the ovi store?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

dr ro wrote: »
    Jackie o can you connect to any other websites.

I can indeed...I just got it this afternoon let the battery run down so I'm leaving it charge overnight ...I'll tackle it again in the morning...some good replies there so I'll check back

can some1 point out where i should see "payment settings" in the ovi store?

When you click 'Buy' it should give you the option of paying visa, mastercard, on your phone bill etc.

I havent got either on it yet. Im not to worried about the screen, plenty of coins in the pocket with it and it hasnt bothered it the slightest. I just want something for the drops. I the one thing that dissapointed me a little was the camera in low lit pictures.

Jacky08 wrote: »
    I can indeed...I just got it this afternoon let the battery run down so I'm leaving it charge overnight ...I'll tackle it again in the morning...some good replies there so I'll check back

You are the same as Sitec, read my post number 347

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

I havent got either on it yet. Im not to worried about the screen, plenty of coins in the pocket with it and it hasnt bothered it the slightest. I just want something for the drops. I the one thing that dissapointed me a little was the camera in low lit pictures.

I'm torn between the n8 & the Desire HD, but the camera on the n8 was swinging it for me...is the flash not all that good afterall?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

My n8 has hung a couple of times and resulted in a reset. As a long time nokia user though I've become used to it. Still, very happy with the phone. And the pics it's producing are fantastic, even to my "if it's not a digital camera it's not good enough" girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm seriously thinking about going for this phone, primarily for the camera. However, I'm not convinced about the HD video recording quality - from the samples I've seen on youtube and elsewhere the video looks quite compressed and laggy. To be honest, they don't look much better than the N95!

Can anyone here put my mind at ease or provide a non-youtube sample of good HD video output from this phone? I don't want to shell out good money on a glorified N95.

Thanks!

Advertisement