Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Megathread - ALL VRT DISCUSSION IN HERE - Read First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ergoviewing

BronsonTB wrote: »
    The revenue website is ONLY a guide (And an out of date one as that too) it is NOT the amount of VRT due on your car. Only the NCT centre can now give you a price when you present it to them for registering. Revenue do not deal with the public any more on VRT. Has to go through the NCT centre & they decide how much you pay. Model spec etc all come into play when working out how much VRT required. You can appeal but at only 300 difference from the revenue site would seem the NCT centre is not far off the mark in this case.

I know it just seemed like a little bit to convinent. Basically adding a €300 charge on. There has to be breakdown you can get of the percentage paid etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know it just seemed like a little bit to convinent. Basically adding a €300 charge on. There has to be breakdown you can get of the percentage paid etc
    There is no 'added charge'.

You can appeal the VRT amount to Revenue, but only after you have paid. Do a search for 'appeal' in this thread and you should find some relevant information. Search www.revenue.ie for 'VRT appeal' as well.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

How does the government get away with charging VRT on imported cars from another EU country. Does the freedom of goods act not cover VRT making it illegal to charge it. Has anyone ever challenged them on this in a court of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

200motels wrote: »
    How does the government get away with charging VRT on imported cars from another EU country. Does the freedom of goods act not cover VRT making it illegal to charge it. Has anyone ever challenged them on this in a court of law.
    Yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its a charge for registering your car here, hence not covered in the freedom of goods act

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

draffodx wrote: »
    Its a charge for registering your car here, hence not covered in the freedom of goods act
    Indeed, it just that the charge in Ireland is massive compared to some other EU states. VRT is not just an Irish tax, loads of EU states have it just that most are only modest amounts circa 50 to 100 euro.

Yawn!
    If you haven't anything to say don't bother to post anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If you haven't anything to say don't bother to post anything.

I think he may have been commenting on the fact that we've seen posts similar to yours about 167,065 times here.

I think he may have been commenting on the fact that we've seen posts similar to yours about 167,065 times here.
    I think you'll notice that it's 167,001 posts.
    Get your facts straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think you'll notice that it's 167,001 posts.
    Get your facts straight.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You can't blame me for not searching through this thread for an answer to my question based on the last 4-5 pages, so here it is. :)

I buy a second hand car in the UK, drive it back home and stick it in a warehouse for 2 months, genuinely have no need to drive it, its just so no one else buys it. Can I then bring it to the NCT centre and book it in for an appointment after the two months?

Do they look for a receipt, or proof of date of importation, ie a ferry ticket or bank statement? What if it was a UK private seller who could not write a receipt? What if it was bought up North?

Thanks guys. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aw I clicked in thinking the thread was bumped by one of the lads finally comign back to show us proof of the fines the country pay to the EU every year. Oh well I suppose the wait continues...........

What if it was a UK private seller who could not write a receipt?
    In that case, I'm sure you could write the receipt.... :cool:

Not your ornery onager

-Corkie- wrote: »
    *sigh* :rolleyes:
    No sense of humour I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Hey :)

I'm interested in a car at the moment and was looking at the VRT website, seems I need a lot of paper work from the current owner. Is it really worth all the hassle or is it done fairly quickly?

I'm buying privately so that's my only hesitation at the moment. Would anyone be able to give me a quick run down of what I actually need from the current owner when producing the car to the NCT centre?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to give me a quick run down of what I actually need from the current owner when producing the car to the NCT centre?
    The Complete V5 certificate and a receipt.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭goodstuff!

http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/inishowen_man_fights_to_end_vrt

Can't see it making any difference but its great to see somebody stand up for their rights in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Good Luck Mr. Stewart. I salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Cant waite to see how it turns out. Fingers crossed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would like to see a change whereby if you exported a car, you could get the current vrt value back. Would allow people much more freedom of choice in importing rare stuff knowing that it can always be sold in the uk market again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

No-one in Donegal pays VRT anyway. Will be interested to see which way this goes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

"The European Commission this week warned Ireland that it cannot slap VRT at the full rate on leased, hired or Higher Purchase vehicles used by cross-Border workers."

"If Mr Stewart succeeds in his new cases, it will see VRT scrapped on all vehicles".

I'm not seeing the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

No VRT on cars would be nice. Do you think the stealers will lower there prices? :D Not a hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

"The European Commission this week warned Ireland that it cannot slap VRT at the full rate on leased, hired or Higher Purchase vehicles used by cross-Border workers."

"If Mr Stewart succeeds in his new cases, it will see VRT scrapped on all vehicles".

I'm not seeing the connection?

Me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Plug wrote: »
    No VRT on cars would be nice. Do you think the stealers will lower there prices? :D Not a hope!

And who would have thought back in 2007 that a new 5 series or E Class would come down to alittle over 40k the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mickdw wrote: »
    And who would have thought back in 2007 that a new 5 series or E Class would come down to alittle over 40k the year after.

Ya a new Accord executive diesel was 44k in 07.

I assume MrStewart , should he suceed in getting VRT abolished will be campaigning to have all the poor , downtrodden people of inishowen he liked to go on about on here so much to properly reregister their cars and pay motor tax, have them NCT'd etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

I don't see how this could lead to the complete scrapping of vrt either but if it does it'll just mean a sh1tload more tax on fuel to make up the difference

tonedef wrote: »
    I don't see how this could lead to the complete scrapping of vrt either but if it does it'll just mean a sh1tload more tax on fuel to make up the difference

Which is a win win for the people of Inishowen because fuel will be cheaper in the North so they just scoot across the border to fill up.

Make no mistake, the whoel campaign by Ryan Stewart has been to benefit himself and the people of inishowen, no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

mickdw wrote: »

Funnily if you actually spec a German market bmw/mb/audi to 'Irish Spec' it is more expensive in Germany.
    Germany the land where the cars are made. The land where the only tax on cars is the vat at 19%.
    Weird Huh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement