Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Megathread - ALL VRT DISCUSSION IN HERE - Read First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

^ that and your sig are a good match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Even if they were, which they're not, targetting Inishowen...
    Is that really something that you can use against the Revenue?

It's like saying, the Gardai/Customs are trying harder to stamp out criminal activities in Inishowen... and we're not happy with that!

It's not the Gardai/Customs fault that the border counties have more people trying to dodge VRT than down south so it's only natural that there'd be a closer eye on people with yellow plates.

I'd agree with Eric Cartman's point of lowering the VRT, and maybe do it gradually until it reaches a point everyone's content with.

Vertakill wrote: »
    Even if they were, which they're not, targetting Inishowen...
    They are targetting Donegal "due to high levels of non-compliance". Which is fair enough. If you wanna clamp down on joy-riding you're not gonna set up checkpoints in Ballsbridge.

I said Inishowen, which is what yer man Ryan Stewart is claiming. If he said, Donegal or some of the other border counties... fair enough. But he claimed this is some sort of VRT vs Inishowen debacle which is why the Lexus woman was caught.
    Ryan Stewart said “the revenue is specifically targeting Inishowen and we think this issue is not getting the national attention it deserves

But I'm also in agreement with what you're saying about the high rate of non-compliance, which is why I wrote:
    It's not the Gardai/Customs fault that the border counties have more people trying to dodge VRT than down south so it's only natural that there'd be a closer eye on people with yellow plates.

The Inishowen thing seems to be because there is a newspaper there that is doing a lot of reporting on the topic and seems to support the cause. Is it the Inishowen News? (Or something similar?)

Speculating now, but it's likely that there is more non-compliance in the north of the county, ie the Inishowen end, as that's where the population centres are, and it's further from RoI up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd agree with Eric Cartman's point of lowering the VRT, and maybe do it gradually until it reaches a point everyone's content with.

The problem is, there'll always be someone who isnt content with any level of VRT, and wont be happy until its 0. At which point they wont be content with the higher motor tax rates and higher fuel rates.

The problem is, there'll always be someone who isnt content with any level of VRT, and wont be happy until its 0. At which point they wont be content with the higher motor tax rates and higher fuel rates.

True.
    But for me, I do very low mileage per year, but if I want to splash out on a nice car, I get (make that, got) hammered for VRT.

If they moved some/all of the cost into fuel, then I'd be much, much better off.

At the end of the day, I only care about me and I don't give a sh1t about Joe Soap. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

It has to be said though, the Irish motorist is being robbed at every turn, VRT, road tax (incredibly high for such poor roads) toll roads( again, a double whammy rip-off for roads that we've already paid for a few times) fuel(73-83% of which is tax and VAT) i'm amazed there are still so many cars still left on the road to be honest. Anyone who thinks all this is fair and acceptable and the cost of living in this country should really have a serious think about it. I for one think we're being robbed and anyone who makes a stand against such a rip-off deserves a pat on the back.
    When you consider how the money that's collected is squandered on tribunals, ministers salaries and given away to any lame duck that wanders on to our shores I really think it's time to make a stand for the motorist in this country because if we don't there'll be plenty more taxes to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ali Babba wrote: »
    road tax (incredibly high for such poor roads).

Theres no such thing as road tax. It's motor tax and has nothing to do with funding roads. It goes in to the general council money pot to be spent on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

...fuel(73-83% of which is tax and VAT).

VAT is 21%..

All countries have VAT and Fuel duty... only 2 countries have cheaper fuel than Ireland in the EU.

• Advertisement

If they moved some/all of the cost into fuel, then I'd be much, much better off.

...and all your goods delivered by road would cost more!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

Speaking as an Irish motorist using an Irish registered car. VRT and Irish Motor tax are both extermely unfair. Why not increase tax on petrol. Surely those who drive more should pay more. Is that not fairer?

Phase out VRT over time. Put the duty on petrol.

Generally a more expensive car will use up more fuel, so increased fuel price (TAX) will cover the loss on VRT for luxury models. This would also mean its possible to keep your older car on the road if you do not do high miles as lower tax means that its now a viable option!

The argument that raising petrol prices will raise the cost of everything else just doesn't cut it, perhaps it will add slightly to the cost of goods but not as much as people are screaming about. If you think it will make prices shoot up then explain why are all our goods so expensive in the first place if we have one of the cheapest petrol prices??

Ireland is a rip off in many ways not just VRT and Motor Tax. A concerted effort is needed to make the entire tax system fairer.

Lower VRT, Lower road tax. You drive a biger car then pay for it in higher petrol costs, you drive high miles then pay for it in higher petrol costs. Why should the poor chumps who can only afford a small/old car subsidies high milage motorists??

Why should the poor chumps who can only afford a small/old car subsidies high milage motorists??

But these people don't pay VRT and have low motor tax... your system would put their motoring costs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

si_guru wrote: »
    But these people don't pay VRT and have low motor tax... your system would put their motoring costs up!

No Idea what you are talking about!

This system would mean-

People with bigger cars and drive higher miles would pay more TAX via petrol!

People with smaller cars and drive less miles pay less, as they use less petrol.

You could keep an older car on the road at less cost as road tax is reduced also. If you can only afford an old car and only need it for low milage it would then be very affordable.

This system would be fairer all around!

VRT would be phased out. It wouldn't be paid by anyone! Motoring costs would be paid in a more fair basis where those with bigger cars and those who do bigger miles pay via fuel duty!

If you are talking about something else, then nevermind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

VAT is 21%..

All countries have VAT and Fuel duty... only 2 countries have cheaper fuel than Ireland in the EU.

The VAT element may be 21% but the rest is tax.

Why is it so many of ye seem to think all the taxes are justified? It's no wonder we're being lumbered with so many taxes with this kind of attitude? The handful who try to stand up against taxes just get knocked down all the time. Is it a Catholic thing that we deserved to get screwed for our sins or something?????

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ali Babba, you're just rambling now. If people want services, they have to be paid for somehow. In the time the tribunals and Politicians have cost maybe €400m, Health and Welfare have cost perhaps €200 billion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The VAT element may be 21% but the rest is tax.

When did Value Added Tax cease to be a tax????
    Why is it so many of ye seem to think all the taxes are justified? It's no wonder we're being lumbered with so many taxes with this kind of attitude? The handful who try to stand up against taxes just get knocked down all the time. Is it a Catholic thing that we deserved to get screwed for our sins or something?????

Some of us non-Catholics (Protestant family, athiest since the age of reason) understand that if we didn't have VRT, we'd have higher taxation in some other sector. Do you want to pay another 2% on income tax to subvent those that buy a new Jag every year?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Speaking as an Irish motorist using an Irish registered car. VRT and Irish Motor tax are both extermely unfair. Why not increase tax on petrol. Surely those who drive more should pay more. Is that not fairer?

Phase out VRT over time. Put the duty on petrol.

Fuel duty damages legitimate businesses (Who can get VAT back, but not fuel duty) heavily. Not something we want to do right now.. A 5% increase in fuel duty would cost my employer thousands. Retaining VRT costs its a thousand ever 10 years, if even.

...and all your goods delivered by road would cost more!

I get little or nothing delivered by road, but I take your point.

Company's petrol expenses could be partly subsidised, leaving the remainder up to us to make up.

I've no idea of the figures though so I don't know what the government's income from VRT is in comparison to what the income could be if petrol was taxed for Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

it's further from RoI up there

Perhaps more money should be spent on primary education:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I get little or nothing delivered by road, but I take your point.

Do you ever buy anything from a shop? Did you ever wonder how it got to the shop?

MYOB wrote: »
    Fuel duty damages legitimate businesses (Who can get VAT back, but not fuel duty) heavily. Not something we want to do right now.. A 5% increase in fuel duty would cost my employer thousands. Retaining VRT costs its a thousand ever 10 years, if even.

The simple solution to that is to increase the VAT on fuel.

But, the last hike in duty on cigarettes resulted in less duty to the exchequer due to people buying elsewhere, and while we have plenty of scope for a hike on diesel, we have none on petrol.

Hike VAT on diesel to 25 or 30% maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Any One

Modnote: Pro and anti-VRT Facebook threads merged - Chris

Hi everyone i'm new on here. I hope this page will be allowed to stay up as i'm sure not everyone is against and i feel its only fair that people in that frame of mind be allowed to have their say.

Theres a new facebook page called For VRT so please join if you want.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/For-VRT-Vehicle-Registration-Tax/124353794256290

I would also like to point out to anyone before they say it, i am not a customs man. I wish i was as i would soon take the car of the people who haven't paid their VRT as they are breaking the law.

You can read more views on the facebook page.

As i said at the start of my post it should only be fair that people with the same view as me should be allowed to express their views.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Its nice to see someone with a bit of sense around here for a change.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Any One

Its nice to see someone with a bit of sense around here for a change.

Well done.

Thanks for the comments.

I sent up the page and i'm trying to get as many people to join.

Theres only two so far but thats a start.

I came on here to try and get a bit of support and hopefully get people on here who have facebook and are in the same frame of mind to join.

As i said on my first post you have people against VRT and people who are for VRT so its only fair both sides have their say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

I joined.

Unfortunately Vrt is a necessary evil. I would rather have fuel at 1.30 and pay Vrt then not pay Vrt and have fuel at 1.70+. The money has to come from some where. In case anti-vrt campaigners didnt realise the countrys currently broke. So abolishing Vrt is the last thing this country needs right now.

Just my 2 cents.

Props for creating a group.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hike VAT on diesel to 25 or 30% maybe?

So you'd hike fuel duty by 20 to 30 % to cover a tax on only new cars that is most cases under 20%...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I agree that tax revenue will have to come from somewhere. If VRT disappears then something else has to take up the slack. e.g. Excise duty, VAT, etc.

However I do think that the way VRT is calculated needs to be overhauled, the OMSP values used for 2nd hand imports are all over the place.

The only peopl who don't want VRT are those peole looking to import 10 year old Ricers from the UK.. we could do with less of those on the road anyway!

Plus VRT is a GREEN tax that only hits those who can afford it - the kind of tax we all said we wanted!

I agree with the poster above - the alternatives are worse.. fuel or income tax hikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The only peopl who don't want VRT are those peole looking to import 10 year old Ricers from the UK.. we could do with less of those on the road anyway!

Plus VRT is a GREEN tax that only hits those who can afford it - the kind of tax we all said we wanted!

I agree with the poster above - the alternatives are worse.. fuel or income tax hikes.

Really not sure if you're being serious. Do you even know what a ricer is? And if so, why would anyone be importing one from the UK?

Eitherway - if it were truly a green tax people wanted, it would be incorporated in the price of fuel. Ever heard of the concept of 'the polluter pays'?

As much as the other campaign is daft, this is just as ridiculous imo - while I fully accept that VRT is not an illegal tax, no one in their right mind actually wants to pay it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement