Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Megathread - ALL VRT DISCUSSION IN HERE - Read First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

she had the lexus 6 weeks and 'didn't get a chance to pay the VRT' or did I hear that wrong !!!

Revenue is revenue, the law of the land is the law of the land, just because you are pregnant does not mean you should be treated any differently.

I am sick of these bleeding hearts, whinging and crying on the TV cos your illegally owned SUV is being taken away does not wash with me.

I'm sure you didn't see that bloke in the Costa Del Sol whinging on the national news as the Spanish police were lifting his Ferrari and other motors and probably about another 200million worth of assets .... all illegally gained, just like your sobbing wan up in donegal. Different illegal actions but still both illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it because she drove a lexus and she was caught that makes you happy?

The whiff of begrudgery and smugness from that post is overpowering.

I doubt a 7/8 year old Lexus 4x4 is going to make anyone jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

"Her behaviour":rolleyes:

Well done to the protesters of inishowen i say.

The Lexus was the sh1tty old model that isn't worth a whole lot.

Wasn't her VRT something like only 800 euro?

All this crap over such a small amount of money is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I have no sympathy for them what so ever.

How can they claim somewhere is being 'targetted'

Fecking customs are targeting the airport all the time, the b%sterds, I wouldn't have be caught with all that heroin jammed up me jaxy otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Vertakill wrote: »
    The Lexus was the sh1tty old model that isn't worth a whole lot.

Wasn't her VRT something like only 800 euro?

All this crap over such a small amount of money is ridiculous.

not sure what vrt she had to pay but i would imagine its a hell of a lot more than 800,that figure is nonsence alright.
    i paid 1002 yesterday on a 2l diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Might have had sympathy if it wasn't an SUV she was whining over.

Now if they'll just start removing more SUVs we'll be well on the way to improving our roads.

not sure what vrt she had to pay but i would imagine its a hell of a lot more than 800,that figure is nonsence alright.

Wow a 2L diesel?
    That could be... pretty much anything.

Make/Model/Year/Spec would be needed.

I'll go find the vrt of an old lexus suv - brb

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

"Her behaviour":rolleyes:

Well done to the protesters of inishowen i say.
    She's a tax dodger and i'm glad she was caught. All the rest is in your own head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So what... what was the model, year, variant? I bet it was different than her car!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Get a dictionary, this is not begrudgery.

It's like queuing up in traffic for 15 minutes, obeying the rules, and seeing a gobsh!te zip up the buslane past all the stopped traffic. Infuriating. Once in a while, when you reach the top of the queue, he's been pulled by a motorcycle cop! Yes!

I don't "begrudge" the bus-lane queue jumper his quick commute, I resent him selfishly breaking the rules which the rest of us obey to everyone's benefit.

And I don't begrudge this woman her Lexus SUV, I resent her dodging taxes which us law abiding citizens pay.

• Advertisement

http://img709.imageshack.us/i/vrtvs.jpg/

There you go.

Might not be 100% the exact same as the woman's, but you get the idea.

steve06 wrote: »
    So what... what was the model, year, variant? I bet it was different than her car!

yeah it is a different car to hers:rolleyes: thats my point,my car wasnt as expensive as the lady in question so she should have to pay more vrt than i did! doh!
    Get a dictionary, this is not begrudgery.tell you what,i promise to get a dictionary if you get reading glasses,ok? i was accusing ANAN1's post of hinting of begudgery.nothing you said.:rolleyes:

It's like queuing up in traffic for 15 minutes, obeying the rules, and seeing a gobsh!te zip up the buslane past all the stopped traffic. Infuriating. get over it for gods sake man:rolleyes:

Once in a while, when you reach the top of the queue, he's been pulled by a motorcycle cop! Yes! haha,glad it makes you happy,ah,the little things in life eh?

I don't "begrudge" the bus-lane queue jumper his quick commute, I resent him selfishly breaking the rules which the rest of us obey to everyone's benefit. we're talking about vrt man,get with the programme!

And I don't begrudge this woman her Lexus SUV, I resent her dodging taxes which us law abiding citizens pay.
    life is too short for me to resent anything about anyone,you'd do well to heed that as holding resentments,over someone youve never met or whose situation you know jack about, eats away at ones spirit and clouds the mind.
    Vertakill wrote: »
    http://img709.imageshack.us/i/vrtvs.jpg/

There you go.

Might not be 100% the exact same as the woman's, but you get the idea.
    Thanks for that........delighted is only 800 euro,should be zero imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

great, lets make VRT zero in Donegal and put it up 20% in Galway to pay for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the MOST vrt she could have paid was 1800, its a pre 2003 lexus rx300, even the absolute top spec (which she does not have as its missing chrome accents and the wood trim of the top spec) would only be 1800, she probably ended up with 1500 VRT

id say she just doesnt want to VRT it as taxing it would make the car both saleproof and expensive to keep on the road. she should have factored it in when buying the car.

I have no sympathy for her, Donegal and other border counties , this is rife, checkpoints every side of each of the border counties should be done , get as many of these VRT dodgers off the road, and if they wont pay, well the goverment will have some lovely cars to auction

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for that........delighted is only 800 euro,should be zero imo.

And where do you suggest the shortfall comes from?

Or how do you compensate owners of cars that have already paid VRT but see there cars value plummet if VRT is abolished?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

a fair percentage of these 'VRT warriors' are probably using the VRT argument as a way of avoiding paying the high Motor Tax for their cars.

By refusing to pay VRT as some sort of moral principal is just an excuse not to have to tax their cars.

As some one who pays a total of €1700 per annum on two cars for motor tax it sickens me.

IF you can't afford to VRT / Tax it should shouldn't be driving it. More than likely they are the same people who will wait until their tires are like slicks before changing them as they can't afford to pay for the oversized rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Revenue don't just target Donegal for VRT fraud though. I regularly see them in various places around Dublin doing this. Best one I saw them doing was outside a school on the Rock Road. If you're dropping you kids to school you're definitely a resident. It was a busy day for them.

Quite frankly I don't see what all the fuss is about. I hate the way people in this country think rules and laws can and should be bent. Revenue have been operating a Zero Tolerance Policy on VRT fraud for some time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

the revenue is specifically targeting Inishowen
    Actually they're targeting all tax dodgers, as evidenced by checkpoints all over the country.

draffodx wrote: »

Or how do you compensate owners of cars that have already paid VRT but see there cars value plummet if VRT is abolished?

i'll leave the suggestions to your good self to tell us.

speaking as someone who paid vrt yesterday,i say let it be,i already got a bargain after paying the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'll leave the suggestions to your good self to tell us.

My suggestion is to leave VRT as it is, better the devil you know and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

I have no sympathy for her, Donegal and other border counties , this is rife, checkpoints every side of each of the border counties should be done , get as many of these VRT dodgers off the road, and if they wont pay, well the goverment will have some lovely cars to auction

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055413782

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

life is too short for me to resent anything about anyone

Sucker - admiring the cute hoor while he fleeces you.

draffodx wrote: »

if you were going to abolish VRT doign it by reducing it by 5% a year would help the second hand car sellers by not lumping it all down at once,

id rather VRT on the car rather than it added to fuel, to low mileage drivers VRT makes no sense but to me (40-50k miles a year) having it on fuel instead of the once off VRT would be a killer, if you cant afford the VRT you cant afford the car, simple as

batman1 wrote: »

yes, I paid the VRT on it, i needed a commercial vehicle, i bought a passenger vehicle , converted it and paid VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yes, I paid the VRT on it, i needed a commercial vehicle, i bought a passenger vehicle , converted it and paid VRT

And I can attest that it remained as a commercial vehicle the entire time you had it. 100% legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

robd wrote: »
    Revenue don't just target Donegal for VRT fraud though.

Fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fraud?

Deliberate evasion of a tax is fraud, whether you agree with the tax or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

What are they moanign about anyway for fecks sake. Don't they realise that if they do get rid of VRT and allow them to register their cars for free they will then have to actually pay some Motor Tax!!!!

Heaven forbid when the stupid ****ers realise they have to may their motor tax every 3 months / year will they set up a facebook campaign calling it an illegal tax after so many of them have their cars siezed??????

I can picture it now 'They are delibertly targeting Inishowen for motorists without tax'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Did nobody notice the reporter asking whats the harm having people from the south using northern plates?
    Eh i think maybe for toll's, speeding, tax, insurance etc.

Im sorry i've no sympathy for any fu*ker who thinks there onto a good one bringing in a car from england cheaper and sure i won't register it.

Pay your taxes, the rest of us do.
    VRT brings in money so they'll raise income tax what then.

Pity about you, buy the car bring check the costs of running, taxing, insuring.

Yeah i've looked into this for myself and its a pain but its the law in the country you live in. DEAL WITH IT.

Denmarks VRT makes ours look small if my memory serves me correctly of the visit i paid to my cousin over there.

We aint been treated the worst.

This argument goes around and around.

I for one will go with whatever the law in the republic of ireland demands, but if you think im taking a hit in my income tax to pay for some body to import a LEXUS cheaper, yeah don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

spiritual-going-in-circles.jpg

This argument isnt going too far.... Been there, done that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement