Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Eric Elwood is on Newstalk tonight, don't know what time exactly but heard it being said last night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

its_phil wrote: »
    Nothing new really down south either. The Sunday Indo barely gave it a corner compared to the Sunday Times which gave a full report. The Irish Times are usually very good for coverage though.

I wouldn't call it arrogance, but it doesn't reflect well on media outlets that don't report the full game. Some journalists just aren't arsed travelling down to Galway to watch games unless it features Munster or Leinster.

It was also a second string Ulster team away to the tenth placed team in the Pro12 so in the grand scheme of things it wasn't hugely important. Harsh but also true.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It was also a second string Ulster team away to the tenth placed team in the Pro12 so in the grand scheme of things it wasn't hugely important. Harsh but also true.

Ulster were (still are as difficult a task as it may be) in contention for the play-offs so it was kinda important.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

its_phil wrote: »
    Ulster were (still are as difficult a task as it may be) in contention for the play-offs so it was kinda important.

If Ulster had gone there with a first or first/second team people would have paid more attention to it. So while they are still in contention for a play off spot you could also argue with the fixtures they've left that by playing the team they did in Connacht they gave up on the Rabo.

If Ulster didn't take the game seriously why should the press?

If Ulster had gone there with a first or first/second team people would have paid more attention to it. So while they are still in contention for a play off spot you could also argue with the fixtures they've left that by playing the team they did in Connacht they gave up on the Rabo.

If Ulster didn't take the game seriously why should the press?

Sure Munster and Leinster have been sending second teams down for years and got very good coverage. Don't think it's got anything to do with the team Ulster sent.

I clearly get it that the two smaller teams in Ireland play its not going to appeal to the majority of the country that is from Munster or Leinster (and Ulster Rugby has the majority of it's fans from Northern Ireland who probably dont read the Sunday Indo). I'm not complaining because that's just the way it is,they've got a paper to sell, but it continues to be disappointing when a couple guys in the Connacht team put there hand up and the amount of coverage the game receives is so small they can't even offer any analysis on performance. The Sunday Independent didn't even mention George Naoupu, never mind how brilliant he was. But that's the way it is with Connacht. I understand it, I just don't like it.

• Advertisement

Yeah they're all good points.

I do think if it were a full or stronger Ulster team that Connacht beat that they might have gotten more press. That could just be me being idealistic though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Sunday Indo is a rag lads, sure most of it is opinion/editorial or puff pieces that are written by Wednesday, not much room left for a late sports report that isn't about Man U/Leinster/Munster/Ireland... haven't bought the thing in years and won't be starting again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

But id say that it was more important than the Gloucester Newcastle rugby game that got equal space.

Also agree with zZippy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As an aside, I worked out (on the back of an envelope, YMMV)the last day that the Connacht attendances this season are higher than those of the best attended League of Ireland team, Shamrock Rovers.

Rovers themselves having a European bonanza last season due to making the Eurovase group stages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Popped into the Sportsground to renew my ST this morning - €185, great value. Fingers crossed we have HEC rugby to look forward to again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Another renewal here, €185 well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Zzippy wrote: »
    Popped into the Sportsground to renew my ST this morning - €185, great value. Fingers crossed we have HEC rugby to look forward to again! :)
    Robbo wrote: »

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

€110 euro well spent :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Robbo wrote: »

is it only renewals atm or are they open to the general public, want to get one asap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

is it only renewals atm or are they open to the general public, want to get one asap
    Renewals until 25th April

Early Bird option available from 26th April- 18 May
    €200 ;)

Regular price (from 19th May onwards) is €225

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Got mine today as well. Even managed to watch a time trial for the dogs, best value season ticket in the country :D

Getting season ticket this year, couldn't do it last year because of college and rowing commitments in Dublin keeping me up at weekends but don't need to worry about it next year so can attend all of the games!

130 beans is such a bargain for many great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Gonna be pretty emotional day in Sportsground, a good bye to Henry and more importantly Ray and to Aironi Rugby Club in their last away game..

Ray-Ofisa-Connacht.jpg
    A sneaky 15/2 shot at Ray anytime for a try today
    shame Henry hadn't played like he has been lately all season or he would more than likely have been staying with us for another year

Sad to see Aironi go, never nice for a team be got rid of (could easily have been Connacht not so long ago)
    Looking forward to giving them a good send off after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

3-13 so far! :eek:

3-16

Pathetic. Lots of handling errors, and lineout is a mess but catchers more to blame than Eithenne.

O'Halloran beats 5 men and Tonetti makes a mess of a chase kick.

Scrum, O'Halloran and Ethienne only thing working.

• Advertisement

3-16 halftime. What is going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

What the **** is going on here???

Galway Bay FM your taking the piss!

5216 attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Score? Is it still 3-16? Got my 18.5 points in the 1st half but a Nikora try would be nice. :D

6-16

Connacht lineout in Aironi 22.

Strong wind behind Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

TG4 show the score as 16-3 to Connacht in their build up. They must have heard the score and just assumed it was in favour of Connacht! Don't think Aironi have ever won a game on the road...

GerM wrote: »
    TG4 show the score as 16-3 to Connacht in their build up. They must have heard the score and just assumed it was in favour of Connacht! Don't think Aironi have ever won a game on the road...

A dangerous time to face Aironi IMO, all of those players are fighting for their pro rugby futures. Massive motivation.

• Advertisement

16-9

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement