Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

16-9 now, Nikora penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

RODNEY AH YOU!!!

16-14

Try from Ah You. Converted, 16-16. Aironi have a man in the sin bin.

16-16

about 3 mins left

Jarvis 54m with the strong wind away for the game

• Advertisement

JARVIS MAKES IT CONNACHT WIN!!!!!!!

YESSSSS!!!!

Jarvis scores a last minute penalty from within Connacht's half!

What a come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Well done to Connacht but I was hoping Aironi would hold out. Would have been nice for them to win an away game before being wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great comeback, well done Connacht. Great chance to finish 8th now which would be a good result after an awful run mid-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fair play to Connacht.

Jarvis with a 54m kick you say?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fair play to Connacht.

Jarvis with a 54m kick you say?! :eek::eek::eek:
    I thought he couldn't kick????:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Awful sloppy start from Connacht today but turned it around well in the second half. I noticed Declan Kidney was at the match I'm assuming he came to look at McCarthy and Lougney possibly Duffy as well. Based on the performance this evening imo only Tiernan and Muldoon really put their hands up today. A lot of poor handling and what seemed like tired legs out there, absolutely delighted with the win even if it was daylight robbery :D.

Have to say though it took serious balls from Jarvis to take that kick, he was so assured of himself coming up from fullback for it, hopefully a sign of whats to come from him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ireland play the BaaBaas 3 days after the Rabo final so there could be a few Connacht guys playing in that, hence Kidney being at the game today.

Yeah your probably right but I'd still like to think that some of the Connacht lads are in contention for the trip to NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

worst performance i have seen in many a long year!
    How we won that game is still beyond me!
    For all I giving out I have done about Rodney he gets a slight reprieve.
    Frank Murphy is shocking waving his arms like a baby albatross trying to take to flight for the first time
    ref on his début had a stinker-aironi offside all game and slowing the game from the start of the second half.
    heaps of injuries coming our way loughney, george to name a few.
    doesn't look good for warriors game.

I said it before and I will say it again why in the name of jaysus isnt jarvis playing more regularly????
    is it because he is good?
    In fairness it did look like men against boys aironi are huge.:eek:(how in the hell are they bottom???

Thought some of the aironi players stood up for a place on the plane to NZ(that's why i thought kidney and co were there!LOL):D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

seanin4711 wrote: »

Thought some of the aironi players stood up for a place on the plane to NZ(that's why i thought kidney and co were there!LOL):D:D:D

Sure aren't Aironi the Italian All Blacks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

blackhound wrote: »
    Yeah your probably right but I'd still like to think that some of the Connacht lads are in contention for the trip to NZ

not just cannon fodder as usual!

Did anyone else notice the size of Nick Williams, so out of shape for a backrow if I hadn't known who he was I would've sworn he was a prob.

As bad a performance as it was at least we finally won a game we didn't deserve rather than the usual losing one we did deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Frank Murphy should have his contract torn up infront of him- he has been useless today- he has been useless all season.

Never seen McCarthy play so poorly for Connacht either, but he has been my Player of the Season for Connacht so he allowed one dud game

Dramatic ending to the game- Jarvis was so sure he was capable of getting it, and good thing as it took a lot of conviencing for Muldoon to give the decision to go for it the green light:D

Heartbreaking for Aironi though, really felt for them and I thought a draw would have been more fair result. I mean think about, last ever away match- never won away from home before- leading by 7 points with 6 mins to go and end up losing. Gave them a good send of though at the end, was over on Main Stand for a change

as Blackhound said though, we've had our share of games we shoulda won but didn't so I'l take this

I had money on Connacht -10, will know better in future to only bet on Connacht if they underdog:pac:

A win next week would equal Connachts best ever season win rate since the league went to a home and away format. In 03/04 Connacht won 8 out of 22 giving a win rate of 36%, you're on 7 out of 21 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Very sloppy preformance, don't think I've seen as many knock-ons all season. Some poor individual performances too, and a few knocks picked up, but I think victory in Glasgow against a team chasing a playoff spot is unlikely anyway.
    Great kick by Jarvis too, was great to see the whole team mobbing him when the whistle went!
    The ref did ok for a debutant bar one horrendous mistake which could have cost us the match - Muldoon scored a perfectly good try, we could see the grounding perfectly from the main stand, but the ref missed it, he also missed Muldoon being blatantly pulled back as he was chasing the block-down, so it should have been a penalty try or at the least a penalty even if he missed the grounding. A 22 drop out was the "wrongest" possible decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

how did buckley and ah you do? and how was jarvis at full back id say he could be tried there or 12 next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

have to say aironi supporters there were fantastic, real passion shown even with their situation

duffy nikora restarts were very good, buckley did well but not as impressive as last week.

TOH's step was unreal and fetu'u looked very good until he went off, lovely break off the scrum in the first half. Ray and JOC were fantastic also, joc made a real difference when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I've popped a video up on youtube of the winning kick,

Overall delighted for the kids there, it was a real big crowd, we would really have lost this games over the past couple of seasons.

The performance was off int he first half, however this is after the big win last weekend, the players looked a bit tired.

Saw kidney before the game, he aged a lot when you see him in the flesh.

Tiernan should really travel to NZ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Was that kick really over 50m?! Can't really tell from the YouTube clip but if it was, that is an absolute monster kick. It cleared the bar by miles and would have still been good from another 10m further out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

gally74 wrote: »
    Tiernan should really travel to NZ,
    According to supporters of other provinces so should Gilroy DKearney and Zebo. There are a lot of young wingers coming through, one of the four should travel but don't ask me which. TOH should definitely get a game against the the Babas anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Think TOH is the best myself, we're blessed with wing talent at the moment though, we could have some cracking battles for the green jersey in the next few years between there and outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

According to supporters of other provinces so should Gilroy DKearney and Zebo. There are a lot of young wingers coming through, one of the four should travel but don't ask me which. TOH should definitely get a game against the the Babas anyway

Out of all of those Kearney and O'Halloran should go. I've been a huge fan of TOH for years now and I can see him probably going to Leinster and cementing a place on the wing at the expense of Fitz/McFadden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

GerM wrote: »
    Was that kick really over 50m?! Can't really tell from the YouTube clip but if it was, that is an absolute monster kick. It cleared the bar by miles and would have still been good from another 10m further out.

The wind was strong,

In fairness when the penalty was called he ran straight up to take it

• Advertisement

Treviso lost today, but managed a BP against Glasgow. Big result in race for 8th place. Connacht one point ahead of Treviso and two ahead of the Dragons.

Connacht finish up away to Glasgow, Treviso away to Edinburgh and Dragons are at home to Leinster.

So really I think next weeks semi's are significant in two ways.

1. Leinster and Ulster wins = Heineken Cup rugby for Connacht
    2. An Ulster win versus Edinburgh possibly means Edinburgh will put out a strong side versus Treviso for the last game of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement