Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Got my ST renewal request letter/pack in the post today - really well put together and prices and value for whats on offer are excellent - bit disappointed re no freebie pint for each game next season but still great value nonetheless - hope that Gavin Henson to Connacht rumour is just that - a rumour. Unreliable, unpredictable, a right effing mess. Just say no. Please. Let him go eff off to Japan - thats about it for him at best now. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

has anyone heard any rumours of possible signings from the other provinces.

We are still waiting for players moving from the big 3 as was said to us last year. surely not a WC year some young guys could come on loan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

liam12989 wrote: »
    has anyone heard any rumours of possible signings from the other provinces.

We are still waiting for players moving from the big 3 as was said to us last year. surely not a WC year some young guys could come on loan?
    You signed Faloon. Anyway I don't think we will see loan deals since Elwood has said he wants players who are commited to the province coming to Connacht not guys coming for a season on loan.

Players whose contract expires gets offers like any other player and the Connacht offers tend not to attract players who go to England and sign for English teams instead.

ya i think faloon will be a shrewd buy..

I wonder is the Rees rumour true.?

i think we need a centre a hooker and maybe another prop if ah you and rodgers are leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

You signed Faloon. Anyway I don't think we will see loan deals since Elwood has said he wants players who are commited to the province coming to Connacht not guys coming for a season on loan.

Players whose contract expires gets offers like any other player and the Connacht offers tend not to attract players who go to England and sign for English teams instead.

Like Whitten... he could have been a great signing.

And if Fogarty is going to France, that would mean that they're not going to get Sean Henry either.

A loan signing of someone like Dave Foley could be good, but I'd say it's unlikely.

• Advertisement

liam12989 wrote: »
    ya i think faloon will be a shrewd buy..

I wonder is the Rees rumour true.?

i think we need a centre a hooker and maybe another prop if ah you and rodgers are leaving
    You have 3 SHs so I don't think you will pay top dollar for another.

With Whitten off to England I doubt any of Ulster's centers will be willing to move. I don't rate Munster's depth centers (Smith, Dineen, Gleeson). Sheridan should be available since he is in his last year in the Leinster academy but I wouldn't rate him due to his injury problems or you might be able to lure O'Shea to leave the academy.

As for a hooker, Annett is heading to England so I doubt anyone will leave Ulster. Fogarty is supposedly heading for France so Munster will be trying to hold onto all their hooker options since they will be a bit light. I'm pretty sure Tom Sexton is on a one year deal with Leinster so you might be able to sign him, Leinster do have 3 other contracted hookers. I think your best choice could be to bring back JHW from England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You have 3 SHs so I don't think you will pay top dollar for another.

With Whitten off to England I doubt any of Ulster's centers will be willing to move. I don't rate Munster's depth centers (Smith, Dineen, Gleeson). Sheridan should be available since he is in his last year in the Leinster academy but I wouldn't rate him due to his injury problems or you might be able to lure O'Shea to leave the academy.

As for a hooker, Annett is heading to England so I doubt anyone will leave Ulster. Fogarty is supposedly heading for France so Munster will be trying to hold onto all their hooker options since they will be a bit light. I'm pretty sure Tom Sexton is on a one year deal with Leinster so you might be able to sign him, Leinster do have 3 other contracted hookers. I think your best choice could be to bring back JHW from England.

Out of curiosity, have you seen Smith play?

Out of curiosity, have you seen Smith play?
    Nope, I'm beginning to think I have Smith mixed up with someone else now cause the munster site says he is a full back I honestly thought he was a center.

To be honest my judgement on a lot of Munsters depth centers is based on one of two things, a he isn't getting his game at A level and in the case of smith (I think) is that everytime I ask a friend of mine (who used to rave about him) how he is doing, I always get the same response "Injured at the moment". Maybe its wrong of me but I don't rate players who regularly get injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Nope, I'm beginning to think I have Smith mixed up with someone else now cause the munster site says he is a full back I honestly thought he was a center.

To be honest my judgement on a lot of Munsters depth centers is based on one of two things, a he isn't getting his game at A level and in the case of smith (I think) is that everytime I ask a friend of mine (who used to rave about him) how he is doing, I always get the same response "Injured at the moment". Maybe its wrong of me but I don't rate players who regularly get injured.

He had a bad knee injury that was due to have him back in Feb, but in the end has taken the entire season from him. It hasn't been a series of injuries. I've only seen bits of him so I can't comment enough to praise him or write him off.

He had a bad knee injury that was due to have him back in Feb, but in the end has taken the entire season from him. It hasn't been a series of injuries. I've only seen bits of him so I can't comment enough to praise him or write him off.
    ok then,in that case ok I thought he was injured last year as well, never mind I may be confusing him with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Sure is the fanbase not going to fall considerably if there's no H-cup next season?

I think your best choice could be to bring back JHW from England.

JHW = GHH

Gavin Henson's Heir

TomKat wrote: »
    Sure is the fanbase not going to fall considerably if there's no H-cup next season?

"An Irish Winner" of the HEC is now odds on (4/6) with Boyles.

This means that "more often than not" ( aka probably) we will see Connacht playing Heineken Cup Rugby next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Id like to see Harris-Wright get a chance with Connacht on a 1 year deal. If he messes around ship him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I've seen plenty of Gleeson for Con over the last few years and this season i've seen Barnes play 13 for Dolphin, Dineen play 12 for Con and Hircock play 13 for garryowen. Hircock on the performances i've seen is the only one that stood out, great step, similar player to Eoin O'Malley.

I'd say Collie O'Shea will need another 12 months before he's physically ready for a run at provincial level.

For what its worth O'Shea's centre partner at Clontarf Killian Lett is the best centre i've seen in the AIL this season. Scores plenty of trys and it seems to take 2 or 3 men to take him down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

"An Irish Winner" of the HEC is now odds on (4/6) with Boyles.

This means that "more often than not" ( aka probably) we will see Connacht playing Heineken Cup Rugby next year too.

Can we still get in via the Rabo if we leapfrogged the mighty Dragons?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can we still get in via the Rabo if we leapfrogged the mighty Dragons?

No that rule is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

ok then,in that case ok I thought he was injured last year as well, never mind I may be confusing him with someone else.

No Troy Smith plays center alright. He played there last year with the A team.

Connacht Rugby have confirmed that they are not in talks with Gavin Henson

thanks be to the good god above for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Connacht Rugby have confirmed that they are not in talks with Gavin Henson

I can't believe the rumour actually got to the point where Connacht had to make a statement about it :D

http://twitter.com/#!/connachtrugby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can't believe the rumour actually got to the point where Connacht had to make a statement about it :D

http://twitter.com/#!/connachtrugby

More like the Connacht marketing lads also have a sense of humour! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd be more surprised if there wasn't an increase. 4000 for next season sounds a very reasonable target and the improvements in the ground have made the Sportsground a more enjoyable place to come now. HC rugby or not, things are looking good off the pitch. Season ticket prices are very reasonable too.

From what I heard, it's the first year that they have had money to spend from their own pocket. Just shows the power of the HC tv money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

its_phil wrote: »
    I'd be more surprised if there wasn't an increase. 4000 for next season sounds a very reasonable target and the improvements in the ground have made the Sportsground a more enjoyable place to come now. HC rugby or not, things are looking good off the pitch. Season ticket prices are very reasonable too.

From what I heard, it's the first year that they have had money to spend from their own pocket. Just shows the power of the HC tv money.
    The pull of it being the only guaranteed way to get into the Clan Terrace shouldn't be underestimated.

Chances are I won't be living close enough to Galway to take in all games next season but I'll be renewing by Clan Terrace ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Clan Terrace is amazing.

Was in the Main Stand for years but the Clan has just blown me away. Brilliant over there. Would not be happy having to go back to the Main Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,963 ✭✭✭✭phog

As we are all subsumed in negative stories across all elements of the media, I want to relay a little positive sporting story to you, as World Autism Day was this week.

Two Saturdays ago, I picked up my brother Brian, who lives in the Pope John Paul Centre on the outskirts of Galway city. Brian is 29 and suffers from Autism. On a rare sunny March evening in Galway, and with a smile on Brian's face, I decided to go to the Connacht v Munster game in the Galway Sportgrounds. Brian was never at a rugby game in his life.

Full Story here. Similar stories could probably be repeated across the country but I think this is wonderful, well done to the garda, the official and the guy for thinking about his brother.

Well done.

Terrific story - uplifting.

I hope the people who helped out these lads get to see this article. Good on ye.

Connacht A in action this weekend, whats happened with McKeown? He hasn't really featured this year and isn't being picked for the As

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Connacht A in action this weekend, whats happened with McKeown? He hasn't really featured this year and isn't being picked for the As
    Came off the bench last weekend with about 15 to go.

• Advertisement

Connacht ‘A’ to face Enisey-STM (The Sportsground – Saturday 7th April ko 1.00pm)

15 Shane Layden

14 Conor Finn

13 Finn Gormley

12 Dave McSharry

11 James Loxton

10 Jack Carty

09 Paul O’Donohoe (C)

01 Finlay Bealham

02 Kevin O’Byrne

03 Rodney Ah You

04 Conor Kindregan

05 Danny Qualter

06 Aaron Conneely

07 Eoghan Grace

08 Brian Moylett

16 Stevie Collins

17 Denis Buckley

18 Dylan Rogers

19 James Connolly

20 Luke Satchwell

21 Kieran Marmion

22 Michael O’Flynn

23 Conor Fitzgibbon

anyone know anything about the guys in bold? never heard of them and they seem to be mixing up the A team a bit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement