Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

i dont see how mary could be considered a loose end though. all she knew was what the internal affairs people told her.

You have to remember that they were working from the premise that Luther was guilty and then fitting the evidence to suit. Like Marwood they were more intent on punishing the guilty in contrast to Luther who always works from the point of protecting the innocent. Remember Mary telling him his name meant defender of the people or something like that.
    I liked the last one best, Alice really lit up the episode, a perfect mix of batsh1t crazy and Sherlock level intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

who wants an Alice spin off?, it could be in the same kind of vein as Dexter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Skerries wrote: »

I always looked on Alice as a female Hannibal Lecter rather than Dexter.

Fantastic female character though.

Have to say I really enjoyed season 3 although the weakest of the three, and I agree the internal investigation sub plot was tedious in the extreme.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got to say I pretty much hated the whole IA angle. The pretext for arresting Luther was completely flimsy and it made no sense that anybody would even entertain it - why didn't Shenk just tell them to piss off?

What I didn't hate was Luther & Alice team up. Alice is crazily bonkers enjoyment. Luther was on full screen command, especially when roaring about the utter hypocrisy of our vigilante killer in the run down building. Great stuff and yes, the show needs more Alice.

Weakest season overall though as there wasn't the same sort of stand out episode that the twins say gave us in the second season. I'll still gladly tune in for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

adox wrote: »
    I always looked on Alice as a female Hannibal Lecter rather than Dexter.

Fantastic female character though.

Have to say I really enjoyed season 3 although the weakest of the three, and I agree the internal investigation sub plot was tedious in the extreme.

Agreed, it was very frustrating at time, the actor who plays George, i thought his voice was irritating as ****

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They have the same last name. Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Possible

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a500891/ruth-wilson-on-luther-movie-alice-morgan-spinoff-ideas-are-spinning.html

Although herself and Dexter are at the complete opposite ends of the sociopathic spectrum imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Would that not just be the same show though? Shes smart and ruthless, and within the context of Luther shes an interesting character, but is she interesting in her own right?

I genuinely like Alice as a character but nowhere near on par with what everyone else seems to think of her. I was glad to see her re-emerge in the final episode but I certainly didnt think the show was hurting by her absence. Probably just me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I agree but for different reasons. She's a a character who, by design, shows little emotion. She works in the context of Luther because the man does get emotional, and so she was his foil. I dont know how you could/would develop a show around someone whose so uninterested in everything.

What would the show be, her on the run for 3 mini-seasons? Would it be her set in her time away from the show? I dont see an outcome where she is the main character in a show unfortunately. I do love her character though, and kind of hoping the movie isn't a prequel, as it would be incredibly difficult to include her in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I must be in the minority but I absolutely loved this season. The creepy opening and the vigilante scenes being a standout. Mary bored me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I must be in the minority but I absolutely loved this season. The creepy opening and the vigilante scenes being a standout. Mary bored me though.

I did love the season but I still think it was the weakest of the three.

I quite liked the Internal Affairs investigation. My only objection to it was
    its poor resolution with Stark just being shot and dying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well, with a name like that...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've had the S1 & S2 boxset just sitting on a shelf for months now.
    I didn't know much about the show other than that Idris was in it, and that it was on the BBC.
    With nothing else to watch, me and the wifepiece threw it on, watching the first episode, I was sitting with the laptop on my lap and giving my big description to the missus on how everything was going to end up, and pretty much wrote it off as being a predictable detective show.
    I wont be allowed forget that in a hurry.
    So we rattled through the 2 seasons and were left wanting for more, and what do you know, S3 had just finished on the box. So we blazed through that as well.

What an excellent show. As far as weak seasons go, there is none. It's top notch entertainment. The one down-side would be the hard ball Scottish guy from IA. He just wasn't convincing enough for me at times.

And how yer wan just reappears in the final episode was expected, but not with an entrance of such magnitude.

I would definitely give this series two meaty thumbs up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The IA guy was the worst piece of casting I've seen in a BBC drama in yonks. How they can get someone so right for Alice and so wrong for him is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

rovoagho wrote: »
    The IA guy was the worst piece of casting I've seen in a BBC drama in yonks. How they can get someone so right for Alice and so wrong for him is beyond me.

I don't think the casting was particularly bad, in fact i found him quite good. But he could only do so much with the story arc and dialogue that was written for him.

I found that IA aspect started well up until the start of ep 4. The way they ended that aspect felt lazy and undercooked. It felt like they needed to give the story complete closure so ended the IA bit abruptly...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The casting for Stark was fine; David O'Hara can play those sorts of bent/dirty authority figures in his sleep so that was fine. It was the script that let the side down, and as said above it was woefully undercooked. It felt it was building up to something only for that storyline to get parked and quickly resolved - I wonder if perhaps it suffered from a problematic rewrite. Alice was dropped into the last episode quite suddenly, and I'm thinking maybe the IA thread suffered as a result, that it had to be pared back and quickly tied up, to make room for the Luther and Alice show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Nope, it was the casting / actor. He overacted the crap out of it, must've thought he was an old school Bond baddie or something. I was waiting for a phone call from Baron Greenback with orders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread as apparently Neil Cross has a script ready for a film version of Luther. I'm not sure penning a prequel is such a great idea - the lack of any involvement from Alice would be a shame, even if she became something of a cartoon - but after Season 3 it's kinda hard to see where the show might go from there.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/luther-might-get-a-movie-prequel%2C102232/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Bumping the thread as apparently Neil Cross has a script ready for a film version of Luther. I'm not sure penning a prequel is such a great idea - the lack of any involvement from Alice would be a shame, even if she became something of a cartoon - but after Season 3 it's kinda hard to see where the show might go from there.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/luther-might-get-a-movie-prequel%2C102232/

Bigger things for Idris now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just started watching this and on the fourth episode already, this is brilliant, rival for Sherlock from the BBC in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As much as I love Sherlock, I did think Luther was more consistent in it's run than Sherlock has been (at least one dud a series so far).

Basq wrote: »
    As much as I love Sherlock, I did think Luther was more consistent in it's run than Sherlock has been (at least one dud a series so far).

Feeling the same way so far but too early for me to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I think both went a little off kilter at one stage or another, but both terrific BBC productions, even there low points are better than most other TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

even there low points are better the most other TV shows.
    Very true.. the Beeb really are in a class of their own with drama.

Play catch-up on Line Of Duty recently.. another corker of a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I only started watching Luther with the second series. Only got the first series box set in January and was a little disappointed.

I can see why somebody who watched it from the start would see the second and third series as up there with Sherlock, I had a notion the second and third series had film length episodes like Sherlock, I think the production quality is higher which made me think they were longer.

In the Line of Duty is worth a watch, hope they do another series, though Peaky Blinders would be the unmissable BBC drama to catch up on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just done the first season and thats truly one of my favourite first seasons ever.

Just finished this now and found it brilliant, raging there wont be another series. Have to say though that i dont find it a coincidence that the more Alice figured the stronger the season it was. She is one of my favourite female characters, fair dues to Ruth Wilson, will be looking out for her in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Ah thats great news. Only got into it recently but the its such high quality drama.

• Advertisement

YES!!!!!
    BBC One ‏@BBCOne 2m2 minutes ago
    #Luther is coming back to where he belongs. Back to London. Back to work. And back to @BBCOne
    BBC One ‏@BBCOne 2m2 minutes ago
    .@idriselba will reprise his role as DCI John #Luther in 2015 for two hour-long event specials for @BBCOne.

Advertisement