Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Wotcha.

Great episode. Luther is brilliant, Neil Cross has created great characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Lets stand out here in the pissing rain with our blue lights flashing so the baddie can get away. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I wish there were more episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭steve_r

Glad this is back. Wish they had more time though.

Thought the opening was well put together, and then the first half really
    built up well.

I felt it flagged a little by bringing Luther back into the force. The return
    to the status quo made things a little less interesting. I think if they had
    more episodes, they could have left him outside the fold for longer, and maybe
    have him being at odds with the other investigation. By bringing him back in so
    quickly that conflict goes away.

Likewise the reveal of the villian was a little too easy for my liking. They
    did a great job of making him a threat, but by making him so easy to find
    diminishes that somewhat. Again, if they had more time then that chase could
    have been all the more rewarding.
    I'm nit-picking more than anything else really!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A bit too long in the hour as the-Ygritte-and-sidekick-show.. but still good nonetheless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this is being shown in full tonight on BBC America but we don't get the 2nd episode until Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I missed it so there's no point in watching part two. It's always been given a 2nd airing on either bbc2 or bbc3 but this time there's no listing for a repeat at all.

I presume bbc America is a satellite channel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Lets stand out here in the pissing rain with our blue lights flashing so the baddie can get away. FFS.

You mean the baddie who rigged a fridge with a bomb and who could have done the same thing in his apartment? Yup the intelligent thing to do would be to storm right in and get everyone blown to pieces instead of waiting for the bomb squad to check the place out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

You mean the baddie who rigged a fridge with a bomb and who could have done the same thing in his apartment? Yup the intelligent thing to do would be to storm right in and get everyone blown to pieces instead of waiting for the bomb squad to check the place out first.

Way to miss the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He'll be back - Loofer will be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wasn't crazy about that episode. I enjoyed it - still far better than most stuff on TV, but the whole thing was rushed.
    It would have been a better overall story with 3-4 total episodes instead of 2.

The best thing about it was the gangland boss - a great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Agree about the short r/t they could just have easily and maybe should have edited it together and shown it as a film during Christmas week to lift the gloom! :p

Still nice to see he has two new enemies to stay ahead of now.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd agree that this new "series" seemed rushed. Two episodes seemed rather short. I wonder why it was so short, when the last few were 4 episodes long? More BBC cost-cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Idris Elba is now one of the biggest stars of hollywood. He just doesn't have the time to film many episodes. If if takes 6 weeks to film a 90 minute film it would would take just as long to do two tv episodes.

Idris Elba is now one of the producers so it is up to him if he wants to bring it back or not. In other words he would get more money for making them. We are lucky he keeps coming back to the BBC to make Luther.

Loved the new camera angle of following cars. Give it 6 months and we will see it in every drama on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

A bit rushed. Could have easily been drawn out for 4 episodes and been the better for it. That said any Luther is better than no Luther. Elba was amazing as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mr E wrote: »

The best thing about it was the gangland boss - a great character.

Patrick Malahide - he's been causing havoc around London since Arthur Daley taught him how to mind his own business. He does great cops and even better gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Patrick Malahide - he's been causing havoc around London since Arthur Daley taught him how to mind his own business. He does great cops and even better gangsters.

Wondering was he based on one of the Adams Family? The character seemed to be the boss of London
    The syndicate was based in Clerkenwell while Terry Adams, until his admission of money laundering in 2007, had lived in Barnsbury. The syndicate expanded over years to include other members of the Adams' Irish family and close childhood friends.[citation needed]

The gang is allegedly heavily involved in drug trafficking and extortion as well as the hijacking of gold bullion shipments and security fraud. They have been linked to 25 gangland murders, using Afro-Caribbean muscle as additional manpower to murder informants and rival criminals. In addition to developing alleged connections to Metropolitan Police officials, they were also stated to have had a British Conservative MP in their pocket at one point.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerkenwell_crime_syndicate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I liked the first one better than the second.

But the ending came far too abruptly for episode 2. They opened quite a few cans of worms and then walked away from it.

Now I need more :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

Love Luther. Really hope there's a few more episodes over the next few years. The way it ended with so many more possibilities in the future, I think there will be at some time. As mentioned though, Elba is now a massive star, it's great that's he's still doing any more Luther episodes at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really enjoyed both episodes. Not the best by any stretch, but enjoyable. They need to cut down on the number of "camera follows Luther from behind as he walks" camera shots though. I actually started to laugh the more it kept happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Penn wrote: »
    Really enjoyed both episodes. Not the best by any stretch, but enjoyable. They need to cut down on the number of "camera follows Luther from behind as he walks" camera shots though. I actually started to laugh the more it kept happening.

Hate to see him go, love to watch him leave....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Last season wasn't great... but I'm all for new Luther!

Rose Leslie is no Ruth Wilson though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Looking forward to it
    Dermot Crowley, Michael Smiley and Patrick Malahide will return for the four-part series as DSU Martin Schenk, Benny Silver and George Cornelius respectively, while BAFTA-winning actress Wunmi Mosaku will join as new recruit DS Catherine Halliday.
    When the moonless shadows of London give birth to a new nightmare, DCI John Luther must once again confront the depths of human depravity.

As a series of monstrous killings becomes ever more audacious, Luther and new recruit D.S. Catherine Halliday are confounded by a tangle of leads and misdirection that seems designed to protect an unspeakable horror.

But even as the case brings him closer than ever to the nature of true evil, a reluctant Luther must also face the ghosts of his own past. Striding back into the line of fire, he must choose who to protect… and who to sacrifice.

Whatever his next move, it will have devastating consequences for those around him – and will change John Luther forever.

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2018/01/11/luther-series-five-begins-filming-adds-cast-and-plotlines-revealed/#more-8478

* spoilers for upcoming series regarding a cast addition *

Interesting.. very interesting..!

Late summer.. or early Autumn airing?

• Advertisement

Full trailer. Starts over Christmas, apparently. :)

Advertisement