Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,656 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah poor finish to this season but I still love it. The Alice character went on far too long. Hopefully the next series is better than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed it for the most part, but the longer the show goes on, the more the balance between Luther going police stuff and Luther doing dodgy stuff tips in the wrong direction. In terms of the police stuff this season, they had a great story, twisted villain, great performances from the killer and his wife and there was probably more there that could have been explored. But it was sidelined for the last three episodes in favour of the Alice/Cornelius stuff which went on too long and ended poorly.

I would have even preferred to have seen more of Shenck trying to investigate what Luther was up to. Even him finding out Luther was in league with Alice really ended up going nowhere.

Still though, great performances throughout and overall it was a welcome return, and better than the last series (which I barely remember at all). Would still look forward to it coming back and it's half making me want to rewatch the whole thing, especially with all the references to past characters and events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hope it's now done and dusted. Hard to see much point to it, ludicrous as a policer (the readiness of the gangster to off Luther is comical, villains know you never kill a cop), fantastical as a horror thriller, Ruth might even be dead this time! Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

thought it was garbage.
    alice was very, very annoying.
    I think it's fair to say luther himself would be up before a few committees!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Probably the weakest season so far with a poor ending.Still it has a great cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Finally got to watch the last season which I did enjoy more then say the last few seasons of Sherlock. But looking up IMDb to see if there is going to be another series and was surprised to see that they are developing a Luther Movie, which I don't really see being a good idea. Luther works best as a mini series so hope they abandon that idea and go back to the 4-5 episode mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think its jumped the shark anyway so it almost doesn't matter what they do.
    BBC have a habit of flogging things to death, they'd done it with Sherlock too and are well on their way to doing something similar to the Peaky Blinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Finally got to watch the last season which I did enjoy more then say the last few seasons of Sherlock. But looking up IMDb to see if there is going to be another series and was surprised to see that they are developing a Luther Movie, which I don't really see being a good idea. Luther works best as a mini series so hope they abandon that idea and go back to the 4-5 episode mini series.
    Has this actually been confirmed? A Luther movie has been banded around as something Idris Elba / Neil Cross both want to do for the last 10 years, but has never went further than that.

(from 2011, first question)

Basq wrote: »
    Has this actually been confirmed? A Luther movie has been banded around as something Idris Elba / Neil Cross both want to do for the last 10 years, but has never went further than that.

(from 2011, first question)

Not yet but found this article on digital spy, they don't really know what they are going to do, some interviews they say it's a 7 series arc but from this article they said it was a big success viewer wise so I'd say we will get another season rather then a movie.
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a25457990/luther-season-6-air-date-cast-plot-trailer/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    Luther series 5 starts on RTE1 on Tuesday 24th March at 10.15pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Idris Elba has again teased the idea of turning his cult BBC detective drama Luther into a feature, more than a year after Season 5 aired on British television.

The actor told a press junket for Season 3 of his Sky comedy In The Long Run that there are no “formal plans” for another Luther series, according to Sky News.

But Elba added: “I’ve made it very clear that I’d like to see Luther come back as a film. And I can tell you this, that we are this close to making a film of Luther.”

https://deadline.com/2020/07/idris-elba-luther-movie-moving-forward-1202980120/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

started watching this but struggling with it - have only watched 1 episode.. but find the acting v dramatic and not in a good way.. should I stay with it? is it actually good as a detective crime drama? loved Prime Suspect, Unforgotten, Line of Duty.. so the bench mark is high

sporina wrote:
    started watching this but struggling with it - have only watched 1 episode.. but find the acting v dramatic and not in a good way.. should I stay with it? is it actually good as a detective crime drama? loved Prime Suspect, Unforgotten, Line of Duty.. so the bench mark is high
    Yeah it's worth it.

Idris Elba filming alongside Cythia Erivo and Andy Serkis

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look at Luther from the Netflix film.

Luther: The Fallen Sun due to drop March 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Still riding the wave of season 1...absolutely amazing this turd is still going after everything that followed S1. Rubbish.

I don't agree that it's rubbish. There's certainly a huge dropoff after season 1, which was top notch, but it's a very good show in comparison to others even after season one.

In Luther: The Fallen Sun — an epic continuation of the award-winning television saga reimagined for film — a gruesome serial killer is terrorizing London while brilliant but disgraced detective John Luther (Idris Elba) sits behind bars. Haunted by his failure to capture the cyber psychopath who now taunts him, Luther decides to break out of prison to finish the job by any means necessary.

Idris Elba will be joined by Dermot Crowley returning as Martin Schenk. Joining them will also be Andy Serkis, Cynthia EviroThomas CoombesHattie MorahanLauryn Ajufo, and Vincent Regan.

Luther: The Fallen Sun will be released in select UK and Irish cinemas from 24th February. Then from 10th March globally on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Why do they always have to give the villans comic book type features - the villan here has ridiculous hair. usually its pathetic facial hair that just isn't needed and looks terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The film dropped today

Have to say I enjoyed that!

Great having Luther back! Yeah there are some glaring plot holes and Andy Serkis is a bit ott as the villain. But I'd hope Netflix greenlight more Luther movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Reviews are a bit below par

Guess the only way is to try it

It's a bit far fetched but I love Luther and I enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

The story was ok bar the ending which was weak.

And Serkis' wig was gas.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭bren2001

It was his own hair, it wasn't a wig.

I thought The Fallen Sun was pretty weak. It makes absolutely no sense but I ended up enjoying it solely because it was Luther. I do hope that is the end of it tho and we see no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

It was his own hair, it wasn't a wig.

You're kidding me!😁

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I want loads more but a bit more realistic.

It's clearly been left open for another one by Luther getting a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,138 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wasn't a big Luther fan, casual watcher, but jez that film was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Film was good, but the last 20 mins really let it down ... pity, it was very good till then, Serkis played the villian well..

Advertisement