Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Draft 2010

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

You think you're so great with your geographical superiority!!;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

You think you're so great with your geographical superiority!!;):pac:

Still cant get a decent pint of Guinness tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

With the Jets trading Washington,can others here fill me in on how good a player Joe McKnight is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

JR isn't due a $9m until September so he will be kept until then at least, and if he does well in camp we'll probably tell him to restructure his contract or gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jason Campbell isn't much of an upgrade though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

raven136 wrote: »
    With the Jets trading Washington,can others here fill me in on how good a player Joe McKnight is.

He has the potential to be a great player but he never really lived upto his recuting hype with the Trojans. He flattered to deceive and isnt a feature back. He can be used in situational circumstance as a passing option so I'd expect him to be a motion man from the backfield into the slot

I'm just after switching on now after being busy all day and the first thing that stands out is that Jevon Snead really made the right call in coming out a year early after a pathetic season. He has all the ability to be an NFL QB but after failing to perform last year he will go undrafted

JR isn't due a $9m until September so he will be kept until then at least, and if he does well in camp we'll probably tell him to restructure his contract or gtfo.

But imagine the savings you make in canteen catering costs if you cut him now as opposed to September...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Royal Seahawk, how do you rate Carroll and Schneider's freshman efforts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Royal Seahawk, how do you rate Carroll and Schneider's freshman efforts?

Over the moon with the first 3 picks to be honest. Couldn't believe that Okung and Tate were available when they were, Tate is a serious talent and the thoughts of him and Housh lining out wide have me really looking forward to the season ahead. Okung will plug the hole left behind by a certain Mr W Jones and hopefully give Hass a small bit more time on the ball to make a decision.
    Not as crazy about the running backs acquired though. We've been down this road before with Duckett and James so I'm sceptical to say the least, that said it's always good to have options.
    Can't see the McCoy fella getting too much playing time at TE, I'm a massive fan of John Carlson and I believe he'll be the starting TE for many years to come provided he stays healthy. McCoy is USC alumni though so maybe Carroll knows something we don't.
    The secondary has been crying out for renforcements the past couple of seasons so it's good to see some additions there and with the retirement of P Kearney it's also good to see they decided to bolster the DL too.

While I am happy with the offseason work being done by Carroll & Co I cannot rid from my mind the thought that for my Seahawks to be competitive then Hasselbeck HAS to stay healthy. If he can, and it's a big if, then I can see us taking back the division, especially with Warner now gone. St.Louis still have a lot of work to do and I'm not buying into the 49ers buzz yet.

I know, I'm being very optimistic, but hey, I'm a Seattle sports fan:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm very happy with the Patriots draft. I would hate to play poker with BB, the guy just p'wns the draft like a really good poker player.

For me Pete Carroll has already made a huge impression, his draft as well as trades he has done have been very impressive so far. I think they had the best draft of all too.

Josh McDaniels is getting a hard time in the press over drafting Tebow, word has it though that he jumped up to get ahead of Miami who were rumoured to be taking him. I think in two years time everybody will look back and say he had an exceptional draft.

What can you say about Al Davis, just when you think he has completely lost the plot the Raiders do really well in the draft and trade for a QB which is basically admitting he made a huge mistake a couple of years back taking Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Draft's over for another year. This is a quality thread and cheers to those who contributed!

Over the moon with the first 3 picks to be honest. Couldn't believe that Okung and Tate were available when they were, Tate is a serious talent and the thoughts of him and Housh lining out wide have me really looking forward to the season ahead. Okung will plug the hole left behind by a certain Mr W Jones and hopefully give Hass a small bit more time on the ball to make a decision.
    Not as crazy about the running backs acquired though. We've been down this road before with Duckett and James so I'm sceptical to say the least, that said it's always good to have options.
    Can't see the McCoy fella getting too much playing time at TE, I'm a massive fan of John Carlson and I believe he'll be the starting TE for many years to come provided he stays healthy. McCoy is USC alumni though so maybe Carroll knows something we don't.
    The secondary has been crying out for renforcements the past couple of seasons so it's good to see some additions there and with the retirement of P Kearney it's also good to see they decided to bolster the DL too.

While I am happy with the offseason work being done by Carroll & Co I cannot rid from my mind the thought that for my Seahawks to be competitive then Hasselbeck HAS to stay healthy. If he can, and it's a big if, then I can see us taking back the division, especially with Warner now gone. St.Louis still have a lot of work to do and I'm not buying into the 49ers buzz yet.

I know, I'm being very optimistic, but hey, I'm a Seattle sports fan:o.

I wholly agree with what you're saying about the running backs. A goal-line lump and a "mr. versatile" aren't going to get us the key 1,000+ rusing yards per season that we've been so critically lacking since Alexander's demise, but I suppose that has to be looked at in the context of the O-Line losing Hutch and a deteriorating Mr. Jones with age likewise. If the O-line bolsters with Okung and Carroll can work 2 or 3 of his available cohort in a decent rotation, the ground game could at least offer an option for the offense, instead of the problematic overreliance on Hass that we've seen recently.

Aside from the top three picks, I'm also delighted Carroll has taken a risk with Thurmond and McCoy. If the former can recover from his knee-problem he is good value in the fourth round and McCoy in the sixth round is a steal; it really shows the hysteria surrounding smoking weed and how it can often devalue a player hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm very happy with the Patriots draft. I would hate to play poker with BB, the guy just p'wns the draft like a really good poker player.

I don't know what to make of the Pats draft. I wouldn't be amazed by it if I was a Pats fan. I think they have clearly looked to fill roster spots this year and I don't see a real knock out player in this class. Spikes was productive for Florida and could be a good NFL linebacker.

McCourty is a draft choice for which the Pats have clearly used with a view to his future potential but last year for Rutgers I wasnt overly impressed by him. Gronkowski will be very good if he recovers fully but I dont understand drafting another TE.

Next year the Pats have two first and seconds and they will need to get starters drafted, this draft class strikes me as being one that looks to provide fillers for their roster with functional players that could provide some upside
    For me Pete Carroll has already made a huge impression, his draft as well as trades he has done have been very impressive so far. I think they had the best draft of all too.

I was impressed to an extent that he didnt load up with Trojans but traded for LenDale White isn't a great move. Leon Washington could be a good move but he is recovering from injury and getting older so it has the potential to be good for one year and then a struggle.

Okung and Thomas are going to be very productive in the NFL. Tate will need direction and coaching but he has a lot of potential
    Josh McDaniels is getting a hard time in the press over drafting Tebow, word has it though that he jumped up to get ahead of Miami who were rumoured to be taking him. I think in two years time everybody will look back and say he had an exceptional draft.

I don't think people will look back and say it was an exceptional draft by the Broncos. The team traded away a QB that had shown flashes of being very good and has possibly replaced him with Tebow who isn't going to be as productive as Cutler.

Thomas is a very good WR but I think they got exceptional value for Eric Decker and Parish Cox who could come in and be solid performers.

What can you say about Al Davis, just when you think he has completely lost the plot the Raiders do really well in the draft and trade for a QB which is basically admitting he made a huge mistake a couple of years back taking Russell.

I think this was a cracking draft class from the Raiders and if I was a fan I'd be delighted to see the potential for progress. McClain fills an obvious need and getting both Campbells for fourth round selections is going to prove exceptional value. Bruce has all the attributes to be a functional NFL tackle and Jason Campbell showed in DC that in the right circumstances he can be a solid QB in this league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jason Campbell isn't much of an upgrade though imo.
    c'mon, he's not Peyton Manning but he's certainly better than JR. Gradkowski was showing some flashes of promise when he played last year. Hopefully the competition between the two leads to a starter and a more than competent backup for next year and beyond. Thus clearing the path for JR's departure from oakland and the NFL.

Edit: also Campbell was acquired for next to nothing so its a good move risk/reward aswell IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

dougal wrote: »
    The Jets proved last year that an intelligent QB that doesn't make mistakes can be enough in the NFL.

Who Sanchez? No mistakes? 20ints and only 12 Tds 10 fumbles 3 of which he lost. The Jets won the games that mattered by not letting Sanchez throw a lot. Had you said smart coaching playing to their QB Strengths I would agree with you but I fail to see where people believe Sanchez had a good season as an individual. The more the Jets ran the ball the Less Sanchez was pressured to throw the ball and better he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

dougal wrote: »
    I don't get this Cutler has only ever been productive in losing and throwing INT's. Whatever happens with Tebow you at least are getting a proven winner and with a lot of dedication also. The Jets proved last year that an intelligent QB that doesn't make mistakes can be enough in the NFL.

Cutler is very dedicated. Everybody around him says so. He watches a ridiculous amount of game film apparently, Cris Collingsworth I think said it this year that maybe he was over analysing stuff.

Cutler played with Vanderbilt. At a guess I doubt anywhere near the same amount of players from there went in the draft or nearly as high as the amount of Gators who have for the last 3/4 years. The Gators are a elite college program, Vanderbilt is an average one, it is more of a elite academic institution.

The Broncos that Cutler had were a team on the up. Young line, young elite receievers and a up and coming QB. Their defence and stream of injuries at running back meant they missed the playoffs in his last year there. Pat Bowlan sacking Shanahan and handing the keys over to McDaniels was a difficult move. I think he was right in that Shanahan had failed with defensive signings and hirings but the fact was that offense was primed. McDaniels was always gonna shift it up, although I think we were all suprised.

The Bears when they signed Cutler were a team signing outside of their serious contender window. They needed him in 2005-2007 when they had a okay line and semi competant receivers. The Bears had in my opinion the worst O Line/WR combo in the NFL last year.

I'm still miffed at McDaniels getting Tebow. He doesn't help them win now at all regardless of his future. He needs a lot of work. Unless Bowlan has given a promise of a 5 year term as coach I am shocked by this one.

I don't like rating drafts and performance straight after. Holes in rosters can appear very quickly. Every year there is 5/6 muck teams but rarely is there 5/6 muck drafts according to the experts. Doesn't add up.

Question for Pats fans? When is the last truely good Patriots draft? IMO BB is far better at getting production out of castaway vets with FA and trades. Moss, Harrison. Seau, Corey Dillon, Welker, Fred Taylor and many others...

He obviousely had had some good ones but he has had some stinkers in recent years.

I still love Al Davies. Obviousely Jemarcus was a foul one but if I'm a Raiders fan, I hate his crappy head coaching hirings/firings for their sitution since 2003. They're getting better.

I'm glad the Bills went with Spiller. He is a game changer and can win us games by himself. We saw with Cribbs and the likes what one explosive guy can do on a bad team. I'm also glad we didn't move up for Tebow. Second would have been fine, but putting more chips than that on him is a poor choice seeing as we really needed the draft to just fill roster slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I wholly agree with what you're saying about the running backs. A goal-line lump and a "mr. versatile" aren't going to get us the key 1,000+ rusing yards per season that we've been so critically lacking since Alexander's demise, but I suppose that has to be looked at in the context of the O-Line losing Hutch and a deteriorating Mr. Jones with age likewise. If the O-line bolsters with Okung and Carroll can work 2 or 3 of his available cohort in a decent rotation, the ground game could at least offer an option for the offense, instead of the problematic overreliance on Hass that we've seen recently.

Aside from the top three picks, I'm also delighted Carroll has taken a risk with Thurmond and McCoy. If the former can recover from his knee-problem he is good value in the fourth round and McCoy in the sixth round is a steal; it really shows the hysteria surrounding smoking weed and how it can often devalue a player hugely.

Well thank God I was never judged for smoking weed:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

themont85 wrote: »

I still love Al Davies.

I was liking the post till you said that adn now I cant take it seriously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I was liking the post till you said that adn now I cant take it seriously :pac:

Ah well, when I first started watching it his teams were always good. Also from watching and reading about him in the past he is best outsider in any sport out there. His rings all have the AFL sign on them and I always thought that it was pretty funny that he never bought into the NFL. His coaching choices and early firings have been terrible in recent years but I genuinely think the Raiders may be on a come back, slowely but surely, and under a mountain of wasted Jemarcus cap space and empty sweet packets.

Guys the Tebow V Cutler spat has schismed into a pretty meaty side debate so I've moved all the posts to a new thread - "Tebow to the Broncos and related discussion".

Link

Cheers,
    Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just saw this on nfl.com. Holy ****, What a question to ask.
    Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland apologized to Dez Bryant on Tuesday for asking the wide receiver if his mother was ever a prostitute, the Miami Herald reported.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817d43fb&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭bobo the clown

Crazy isn't it. Had some balls to ask that. In any case Bryant is not right in the head imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

From any class of a professional, that's a ridiculousy stupid question.

To be fair to Ireland this is how the conversation went with Bryant when asking about his upbringing:

Ireland: What did your father do for a living?
    Bryant: "My dad was a pimp."
    Ireland: "What did your mom do [for a living]?"
    Bryant: "She worked for my dad."
    Ireland: "Your mom was a prostitute?"
    Bryant: "No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Probably should have asked "So what work did ur mom do for your dad?" but in context the Q isnt that bad.

Hazys wrote: »
    To be fair to Ireland this is how the conversation went with Bryant when asking about his upbringing:

Ireland: What did your father do for a living?
    Bryant: "My dad was a pimp."
    Ireland: "What did your mom do [for a living]?"
    Bryant: "She worked for my dad."
    Ireland: "Your mom was a prostitute?"
    Bryant: "No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Probably should have asked "So what work did ur mom do for your dad?" but in context the Q isnt that bad.

Apparently Bryant is calling the leaked story, BS.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/ed-werder-dez-bryant-denies-telling-dolphins-his-dad-was-a-pimp/

He says he never said his father was a pimp.

Advertisement