Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Stop, did you report this incorrect stop information to Dublin Bus. They're generally quite prompt in replacing incorrect panels.

With over 7000 stops (carousels/shelters/panels) there will be errors. With the level of changes across the network some stops are changing on a monthly basis. That said, you would think the person placing the timetable on the shelter would notice the 46a doesn't serve there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭stop

It looks like it was intended for the outside stop, another glitche in the Matrix im afraid.
    It reminds me of many years ago when we wanted the tree cutter to remove a nasty branch from the Kilpedder sliproad area ~ damn place was felled like the Amazon before they got it!

Well the slip road stop would have the 145 et al on it so its hard to see how they did this!

KD345 wrote: »
    Stop, did you report this incorrect stop information to Dublin Bus. They're generally quite prompt in replacing incorrect panels.

With over 7000 stops (carousels/shelters/panels) there will be errors. With the level of changes across the network some stops are changing on a monthly basis. That said, you would think the person placing the timetable on the shelter would notice the 46a doesn't serve there :)

Yeah I was holding off on reporting the lack of timetables until the 84 removal, thinking that would be when they'd sort all at once. Reported that one as soon as I saw it tho!

I have seen a good few examples of this lately, a shelter on Appian way only showed one of the routes which stops there (can't remember which one was omitted!). At some stage the 122 terminus listed the routes that stop there as the 19 & 123!

Seeing as there is clearly a database which rtpi uses to indicate which buses use each stop, it can't be too hard to check these signs before they go to the printers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

paddyland wrote: »
    Is there a specific individual employed to organise bus stops and travel information, or is it just 'farmed out' to whoever happens to be hanging round the office on a particular afternoon?

Either way, the person responsible is not fit for purpose, and either needs to be retrained, or replaced.

Dublin Bus seems to have a lot of people unfit for purpose, particularly at the top end, which says a lot, because much of the nonsense they go on with is simple basics.

All the modern technology and catch-all slogans mean nothing in the hands of employees who either can't do or simply don't care.

Merits Sticky-Status if any post ever did !!! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

KD345 wrote: »

I found exactly the opposite. I reported problems about panels in the Santry area several times over the five years I lived there and they never fixed any of them. During that time, the panels were replaced/updated when timetables changed and routes were removed but the incorrect information was never fixed and I never got a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The cockup when the 47 was rerouted to Sandymount has been repeated with the revised 84 - on the timetable webpage the map for the Bray to Blackrock route actually shows the old route all the way to UCD along the N11 and if you click on the 84a map link it gives an error.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84a/

And the RTPI data for the stops on Clonkeen Road and outside Grange Motors (3158) haven't been updated to show the 84 and 84a, they all list the 45 as serving those stops when that route has been discontinued.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=3158

I've reported both these errors to @dublinbusnews on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I made one mistake in saying that the new 84 terminus is outside Tonic in Blackrock. It is not there, The terminus is actually opposite Blackrock Church which is located at the former 114 bus stop outside News Cafe.

Apologies for the mistake. I found the new terminus by accessing this feature about the changes by an enthusiast website called Dublin Bus Transport.

http://www.dublinbustransport.com/Dublin_Bus_Transport/45_and_84.html

I hope you enjoy that. :)

coylemj wrote: »
    The cockup when the 47 was rerouted to Sandymount has been repeated with the revised 84 - on the timetable webpage the map for the Bray to Blackrock route actually shows the old route all the way to UCD along the N11 and if you click on the 84a map link it gives an error.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84a/

And the RTPI data for the stops on Clonkeen Road and outside Grange Motors (3158) haven't been updated to show the 84 and 84a, they all list the 45 as serving those stops when that route has been discontinued.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=3158

All now fixed, thank you DB :D

I had seen that there was a changeover of buses for the 7B route to Shankill on the Monkstown Link Road this evening. What was that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Im struggling with the blue pin system on DB's mapping. Where does the 84 start/finish in Blackrock.

Im struggling with the blue pin system on DB's mapping. Where does the 84 start/finish in Blackrock.

See post #4747 from dublinman1990 above, timestamp is 15:13 today.

• Advertisement

It starts/finishes at the office workers smokers shelter, first stop off the carriageway. Northbound to add to the confusion?

It starts/finishes at the office workers smokers shelter, first stop off the carriageway. Northbound to add to the confusion?

The terminus is on Temple Road (bus shelter at Temple House). Outbound buses head towards Blackrock Village, take a left onto Carysfort Avenue and left to Frascati Road heading back towards Bray. Inbound buses follow the 7 through the village via Newtown Avenue, Main Street and Caryafort Avenue, they then turn left onto Frascati Road turning left again to terminate at Temple Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Ah janey. So both directions go along the same stretch of Carysfort Avenue ? Brilliant. I can't wait to see how they fare heading northbound and turning onto Carysfort Avenue. My crystal ball foresees much blowing of horns and reversing of vehicles.

I wonder why they didn't just come along into the village, turn left at the chipper and terminate outside the church (across the road from the existing/new terminus) ? Maybe they would have the same turning problems, but presumably this one could be fixed relatively easily by having the northbound stop line moved back further. I can't see that particular one working too well on Carysfort Avenue.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why on earth do they not use the purpose built terminus down by the DART station? Seems like a no brainer, might even get an extra passenger or two from nearby if it can drop them straight to the station.

zagmund wrote: »
    Ah janey. So both directions go along the same stretch of Carysfort Avenue ? Brilliant. I can't wait to see how they fare heading northbound and turning onto Carysfort Avenue. My crystal ball foresees much blowing of horns and reversing of vehicles.

I wonder why they didn't just come along into the village, turn left at the chipper and terminate outside the church (across the road from the existing/new terminus) ? Maybe they would have the same turning problems, but presumably this one could be fixed relatively easily by having the northbound stop line moved back further. I can't see that particular one working too well on Carysfort Avenue.

z

There are two stops on Carysfort Avenue, one is marked for buses towards Bray and one is for set down.

I'm assuming space is a problem at Blackrock DART station, adding the 84 to the buses already there might be tight.

Good point, turn right onto Idrone terrace & stop at the DART station. Cup of tea, stretch the legs and back off to Bray or wherever it is it serves these days. None of this looping around stuff.

z

Or that big square area called Blackrock bus turning area at the station. A chance for Dart users to catch a bus a few stops home? Off road parking, toilet for the driver. Doing loops of Blackrock at peak time is of no use. The Direct idea of Network direct is slowly going to the dogs.

In response to KD345 - if space is that tight at the DART station (which is possible, but I've never seen it jammers) then just come down Idrone Terrace, turn left, back through the town and stop outside the church. At least the DART station would be served. It beats *almost* serving the DART station and dumping people on Carysfort Avenue - if they know to get off there.

z

I thinking maybe its only going this far because of New Park school.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

zagmund wrote: »
    In response to KD345 - if space is that tight at the DART station (which is possible, but I've never seen it jammers) then just come down Idrone Terrace, turn left, back through the town and stop outside the church. At least the DART station would be served. It beats *almost* serving the DART station and dumping people on Carysfort Avenue - if they know to get off there.

At this particular stage the company would be better served by fitting a suitable coupling to allow the Bus hitch a ride on the back of the DART.....

This particular sad little escapade is quite obviously nonsense,serving only to tie-up vehicles and drivers who could be put to far better use elsewhere,such as where a bit of business could be generated.......:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Why on earth do they not use the purpose built terminus down by the DART station? Seems like a no brainer, might even get an extra passenger or two from nearby if it can drop them straight to the station.

I would ask the very same thing with me being a Blackrock local. The majority of the buses there are the 17 and 114, with the 46E being added in for only 2 buses during the morning time on a five day week (namely Monday to Fridays).

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/46e-/

Sundays are by far much easier because the 46E and 114 do not run on that day. Although the 17 is there on Sundays, the average waiting time for that bus is between 1 hour 40 minutes and 2 hours (the 2 hr waiting time is in effect after 3:05pm until last bus at 11:05pm at Blackrock) for that day alone. The 84 would add in there no problem on a Sunday. eg. If you miss the 17 bus to Rialto at 3:05pm, the next one is 5:05pm.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-Route-17/

But in saying that; my preferred route for the 84 would be go down the Dual Carriageway in through the current terminus past the tonic bar in towards the Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

The 45/84 changes make no sense. What's the purpose of a Blackrock-Bray Daly Station route 84A? I don't see that there are that many local travellers that don't go to the city centre from points south of Greystones; I'd surmise that if the 184 suddenly started running to/from the city centre, ridership would increase (after all, look at the necessary increase in journeys on the 84X). The lesson of route 47 is too rapidly forgotten.

Why is the number "45A" being kept when they're getting rid of the 45? More hanging alpha suffixes.

Won't stop me from driving, no matter the petrol price.

The 84A is also the refueller, (Vincents trips) and back to Bray depot.

In addition to what is fixed are the updated timetables; DB have updated their bus shelters and poles around Blackrock. That is including the new Timetables for the 84/a at the new terminus at Temple Road and the shelter opposite the Butler's Pantry.

There were new timetables added at the Mount Merrion Avenue/Rock Road Junction. And opposite the 84/a terminus at Temple Road.

Lots of work could have been done on the former 45 route as far as Vincent's anyway and even beyond as far as Merrion Square which counts as no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭xper

coylemj wrote:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Jour...imetables/84a/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sour...archquery=3158

Well not quite. If you search by route on the RTPI app, the two direction choices for Route 84 come as Towards Bray Rail Station (should be Newcastle) and Towards Blackrock. And then they have the inbound and outbound stops the wrong way around for each direction both the 84 and 84A stop listings and maps. As its after midnight, I can't actually check if you get correct RTPI timings for a given stop once you actually find yours.

Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭xper

stop wrote: »
    Well the slip road stop would have the 145 et al on it so its hard to see how they did this!
    <snip>
    Seeing as there is clearly a database which rtpi uses to indicate which buses use each stop, it can't be too hard to check these signs before they go to the printers.
    Actually its probably the other way around. The mistake is made once on the database and this dictates that it is manifests itself at multiple human interfaces, the multiplicity giving the impression that the false information is in fact true. Computer says 'yes'.

Look up stop 767 on the RTPI app and (currently) you'll see it sitting there in the middle of UCD's campus with 46A towards Dun Laoghaire listed as one of its bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭stop

xper wrote: »
    Actually its probably the other way around. The mistake is made once on the database and this dictates that it is manifests itself at multiple human interfaces, the multiplicity giving the impression that the false information is in fact true. Computer says 'yes'.

Look up stop 767 on the RTPI app and (currently) you'll see it sitting there in the middle of UCD's campus with 46A towards Dun Laoghaire listed as one of its bus services.

Well spotted. System still a joke tho.

Just noticed Route 18 eastbound is listed as serving stop 359 on Sean Moore Road, another mistake I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

guys does the 26 only go from palmerstown graveyard now rather then cherryorcherd? dublin bus website says it does but would like to know for definite. i can take it the website is right? thanks

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

guys does the 26 only go from palmerstown graveyard now rather then cherryorcherd? dublin bus website says it does but would like to know for definite. i can take it the website is right? thanks

You are correct. :)

• Advertisement

Another one of DB's annoyances today.

Caught a 40 in Ballyfermot this evening, intending to get off on Whitworth Road and walk to Fairview. The bus stopped in Parnell Square where the driver announced that it was the last stop. The RTPI and front scroll both said Finglas.

I hate how they change a service with 10 seconds notice. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement