Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Karsini wrote: »
    Caught a 40 in Ballyfermot this evening, intending to get off on Whitworth Road and walk to Fairview. The bus stopped in Parnell Square where the driver announced that it was the last stop. The RTPI and front scroll both said Finglas.

That really really pisses me off, no excuse for that at all, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Another one of DB's annoyances today.

Caught a 40 in Ballyfermot this evening, intending to get off on Whitworth Road and walk to Fairview. The bus stopped in Parnell Square where the driver announced that it was the last stop. The RTPI and front scroll both said Finglas.

I hate how they change a service with 10 seconds notice. :mad:

Happened to me waiting for the 47 the other evening, no RTPI present, bus (already late) just goes by with 'Private Hire'. Not great for anyone using the route west of the N11 considering the lack of alternative services. The text service is the only means of finding out what's happening and that only tells you when the next one is due, not if there's a cancellation. Had to wait till the next one. Sure it only meant standing around 50 minutes for a bus, no biggy... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The change to the 47 is a major pain in the ass! To get to ballsbridge now it's a 20 minute walk from St.Vincents Hospital!!

Their website now suggests getting a bus to town then another one back out if you are going to ballsbridge! Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The change to the 47 is a major pain in the ass! To get to ballsbridge now it's a 20 minute walk from St.Vincents Hospital!!

Their website now suggests getting a bus to town then another one back out if you are going to ballsbridge! Great!

Instead of getting off at St. Vincents Hospital, get off at Tritonville Road. Hereafter, walk up Newbridge Road. Once you get to the mini-roundabout, you have 2 of the following options (Both are 2/3 of a mile in length):

1. Walk up Beatty's Avenue which will take you up to the Al Boschetto end of Merrion Road (i.e, the center of Ballsbridge).
    2. Walk up Landsdowne Road which will take you up to Jury's Hotel (the beginning of Northumberland Road).
    Either-way, both should take roughly 10 minutes. :D;)

You are currently doing twice that from Vincents.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Instead of getting off at St. Vincents Hospital, get off at Tritonville Road. Hereafter, walk up Newbridge Road. Once you get to the mini-roundabout, you have 2 of the following options (Both are 2/3 of a mile in length):

1. Walk up Beatty's Avenue which will take you up to the Al Boschetto end of Merrion Road (i.e, the center of Ballsbridge).
    2. Walk up Landsdowne Road which will take you up to Jury's Hotel (the beginning of Northumberland Road).
    Either-way, both should take roughly 10 minutes. :D;)

You are currently doing twice that from Vincents.:eek:

I'll try that thanks....

How long does the bus take though to get from Vincents to Trintonville Road though in average enough traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Another one of DB's annoyances today.

I hate how they change a service with 10 seconds notice. :mad:
    Great way to encourage people to get in their cars, not out.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I'll try that thanks....

How long does the bus take though to get from Vincents to Trintonville Road though in average enough traffic?

I did it in 7/8mins this morning. Sadly after ditching all my regular passengers at Nutley lane, i picked up no one else in the new route section inbound. Seems weird business, dumping the €2.65 passenger for a few €1.40 users. I cant see the UCD students waiting for an hourly service at the Dart station either.

Niles wrote: »
    Happened to me waiting for the 47 the other evening, no RTPI present, bus (already late) just goes by with 'Private Hire'. Not great for anyone using the route west of the N11 considering the lack of alternative services. The text service is the only means of finding out what's happening and that only tells you when the next one is due, not if there's a cancellation. Had to wait till the next one. Sure it only meant standing around 50 minutes for a bus, no biggy... :mad:

The ever crumbling 1800 inbound.
    Different controllers do different things. (if willing to pay the OT)
    The norm is becoming bring the locals to either Sandyford luas and Stillorgan F.O.C! Most decent lads carry them to Donnybrook garage.

You need to complain to Donnybrook on 7034449 every time, this route falls apart on rainy days never mind an event on in the O2 or Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is more DB mistakes about the 45/84/a merger.

I had seen for the new look 84a going from St Vincent's to Bray DART Station for the very first time today at around 3:20pm. The number of passengers on that bus route was tiny as I only made out only one or two in there.

It was good to see it today. However; there is one thing that bothers me about it. When that bus goes from St Vincent's at certain times of the day; (it normally goes from Blackrock to Bray) it does not stop 3032 at the Rock Road/Mount Merrion Avenue junction. The bus presumably goes onto the next one outside Starbucks.

Stop 3032 only has routes 7,8 and 17 marked on it now. In addition it used to show the former route 45 & 84n to Charlesland; now though the 84n has even disappeared. :rolleyes:

I discovered that there is also no timetable for the 84a from St Vincent's to Bray being provided for at that stop.

And look at this; here is another mistake; the bus that was going from St Vincent's is not even listed on the timetable which is total crap.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84a/

Even though I was not getting the 84a. I was waiting for a 7 bus to Dun Laoghaire at that same stop at the time.

This ND project makes so much mistakes at times. When it comes to misleading information it can frustrate even more passengers than it should do. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This ND project makes so much mistakes at times. When it comes to misleading information it can frustrate even more passengers than it should do. :mad:

After a period when,it seemed good progress had been made in bringing some good sense to the Network Direct programme,we now appear to have reverted to form with the 47,84/A package...

Sadly and,totally avoidably,we appear to have had a seriously unfit-for-purpose set of changes imposed on a corridor which could have provided ample return had the proper thinking been applied to it.

If its any consolation Dublinman1990,a great many staff are just as frustrated as the pasengers you refer to ...:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    After a period when,it seemed good progress had been made in bringing some good sense to the Network Direct programme,we now appear to have reverted to form with the 47,84/A package...

Sadly and,totally avoidably,we appear to have had a seriously unfit-for-purpose set of changes imposed on a corridor which could have provided ample return had the proper thinking been applied to it.

If its any consolation Dublinman1990,a great many staff are just as frustrated as the pasengers you refer to ...:o

Well at least you are honest about the changes that has come about recently.

Are the lads over in Donnybrook having more changes soon in regards to what is happening on the changes to the 75 & the new route 175?

Are the lads over in Donnybrook having more changes soon in regards to what is happening on the changes to the 75 & the new route 175?

Last i heard the above isnt on the cards anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stl150

Do you know why this has been cancelled? I thought the 75 re routing made sense and as an added bonus the 175 connected ballycullen/knocklyon with dundrum/sandyford/dun laoghaire.

The last update I saw on website was for summer 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

stop wrote: »
    I am amazed the DB continues to get the basics wrong.

The bus terminus in UCD was closed off two weeks ago, all services now depart from the Xpresso terminus area, two new shelters went in as part of this.

For two weeks the shelters had no timetables on them, finally over the past few days this appeared on one of them:

2rbWB.jpg?1

46a wtf?

Meanwhile there is no timetable for route 17 at either stop, and the timetables (except former 2/3 stop), bus stop/shelter heads are still mounted at the old terminus, UCD have put up signs directing people to the new terminus, but I have seen some people waiting around at the old stops still!

Also, at the new terminus, I saw a group of a newbie American students let a 39a leave the terminus, I asked them were they heading to town, they said they were waiting on the 46a (for "O'Connell"), I explained that it doesn't come into UCD, they gestured to the timetable in a very confused manner. Welcome to Ireland kids.

The 46a timetable was removed last week, alas they didn't manage to put up the 17 timetables while they were at it. One day maybe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

network destruct/di-shambles, that is all

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Was it through a rumour or from a member of staff? Is there any more ND changes due to come up on the website later this week?

Was it through a rumour or from a member of staff? Is there any more ND changes due to come up on the website later this week?
    Union rep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

According to the Irish Passenger Transport Forum, 38 AVs up for sale, freed up by this Network 're-alignment'. That's going to be very strange to see. Presumably Ringsend's AV1-21 are amongst them, unfortunately. Whoever buys AV1, AV5, AV7, AV8, AV13, AV20 and AV21 are getting good buses.

AV20 and AV21 shouldn't be leaving considering how long they were off service, they're nowhere near 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Title: Sale of Used Buses-40 X Double Deck/ 6 x Single Deck Published by: Dublin Bus / Bus Atha Cliath Publication Date: 06/06/2012 Application Deadline:
    Deadline Date: 06/07/2012 Deadline Time: 17:00 Notice Type: Invitation to Tender Has Documents: Yes Abstract: Dublin Bus offers for sale by Tender-the followin Vehicles-:
    -38 x ‘AV’ BUS- x Volvo B7TL DD / Alexander (Falkirk & Belfast) ‘ALX400’ Double Deck
    ( Year 2000, Volvo D7C-215 / ZF4HP502C)
    Single Door-Seating Capacity-U/S 49 , L/S 26 & W/Chair or 27 +15 Standees
    -6 x ‘WV’ BUS- VOLVO B6BLE / WRIGHTS CRUSADER
    SINGLE DECK BUSES
    (Year 2000, Volvo D6A / ZF4HP500)
    Passenger Capacity: 35 Seats & 20 Standees-
    All the above are Super low floor with powered wheelchair ramp and space and are fitted with ‘Fogmaker’ fire suppression equipment.
    ALSO AVAILABLE:
    -2 x ‘RA’ BUS- VOLVO OLYMPIAN /ALEXANDER (BELFAST) R-Type
    DOUBLE DECK BUSES
    1995 Registered, Cummins L10 / ZF4HP500,
    Passenger capacity: 74 Seats & 13 Standees, Step Entrance, Dual Door – Fitted with ‘Fogmaker’ fire suppression equipment. 9.6M bodies.
    THESE RV VEHICLES ARE CONVERTED TO TRAINING SCHOOL CONFIGURATION.
    **ALL VEHICLES WILL BE SOLD AS SEEN AND
    COME WITH TYRES INCLUDED IN SALE**

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

There are around 55 RVs still in service, and 80 new double-decks arriving this summer.

So, 80 less 55 gives 25 AVs replaced by new buses, the remaining 13 + 6 WVs will be withdrawn from vehicle savings made from the final stages of Network Direct.

This will leave the company with just 6 single-decks in service, they are pretty essential for the 44B, but the other routes (59/63/111) can be double-deck operated if required.

C635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i take it a lot of these busses would have been sold off anyway regardless of network direct? they would have been due for replacement?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

dfx- wrote: »
    According to the Irish Passenger Transport Forum, 38 AVs up for sale, freed up by this Network 're-alignment'. That's going to be very strange to see. Presumably Ringsend's AV1-21 are amongst them, unfortunately. Whoever buys AV1, AV5, AV7, AV8, AV13, AV20 and AV21 are getting good buses.

AV20 and AV21 shouldn't be leaving considering how long they were off service, they're nowhere near 12 years old.
    Why were they off the road for so long ?
    Also how much would one of them buses go for?

I thought they were to increase life from a meagre 12 years again once the non low floors were gone? what happened to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They are - it's only 38 AVs that are up for sale. Many of the early ones that are in the best condition are getting a four year life extension with some work being done on them and LED destination displays being fitted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Why were they off the road for so long ?

AV20 was off the road for the guts of two years getting major work done to its engine. Would've been about 3-4 years ago.

It's an excellent bus now, but it's probably only ten years into its service if even that given the work done on it.

I'm wondering what will ultimately happen to AV32 (the bus involved in the Wellington Quay incident in 2004). Hasn't turned a wheel since then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

That really really pisses me off, no excuse for that at all, ever.

Human error, get over it :rolleyes:

Motorist wrote: »

I'm afraid I don't agree with you there. If a bus says it's going to Finglas then I bloody well expect it to go there.

it's not human error. It's someone in dispatch deciding at some point to curtail the service without telling customers or updating the systems to reflect it. It's not something that only happens once, it's happens frequently enough.
    No indication that the driver informed the passengers either until the bus just stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

You can't tell the difference between "human error" and gross incompetence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement