Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

A2000 wrote: »
    The 40 has been a joke since it became a cross city route with up to 5 buses bunching at any given time and gaps of 30-40 mins not usual at peak times

Maybe I've been lucky, maybe it's because I use RTPI to the max with my phone app, or maybe it's because I work for CIÉ, but I've hardly had any problems with the 40 since shortly after it was introduced. :confused:

I'm a daily user. Only outbound during the week as I take the 79a in on my morning commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    maybe it's because I use RTPI

RPTI doesn't make buses come more regularly and doesn't help if your journey times are fixed (like commuting to and from work).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Anyone know if there are plans to make 16 a fully accessible route? There are still services on rtpi with no wheelchair symbol and no symbol on timetable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

A2000 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are plans to make 16 a fully accessible route? There are still services on rtpi with no wheelchair symbol and no symbol on timetable either.

The entire Dublin Bus fleet will be low floor by the end of the year. With new bus deliveries due in the coming months, they'll gradually replace the remaining Olympians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

markpb wrote: »
    RPTI doesn't make buses come more regularly and doesn't help if your journey times are fixed (like commuting to and from work).
    I'm hearing stories in Toronto that because the TTC haven't provided their on-street inspectors with proper route management tools, they're using RTPI websites like this one using their own smartphones to get a better sense of where their drivers are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Actually it does, in that if I see a bus in 5 minutes and the next one in 45, then I know to get a move on!

But I do take your point. Nevertheless, my experience of the 40 as a frequent user has not been negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Anyone hear anything more concrete about the changes to the 41's? I also see they haven't corrected the timetables on the Swords Road QBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I'd be confident that any frequent user of the 40 who doesn't use RTPI on their smartphone before going to the bus stop has had a lot of bad experiences.

In a cycle to town yesterday I saw two Liffey Valley bound 40s in a row at Ballyfermot village. I didn't see another Liffey Valley bound 40 until Thomas Street and guess what, it was two in a row there aswell!! From what I can see this is a daily occurance. Any frequent user I've talked to in Ballyfermot also says it's a "dreadful service".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

On the 39 heading home and I'm on one of the buses with working displays telling you where the next stop is. It works well but it only seems to be installed downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Slightly OT, perhaps I am the last to notice, but was very pleased to see on D'Olier Street , Stops 335 (CJ) & 336 (CK) are being displayed on the one RTPI sign in between them!

No longer shall I fear 6ish RTPI poles added to the 6ish bus stop poles destroying the classical spacing between poles on Westmoreland St :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed the 39a is terrible at bunching these days? Everytime I get it, southbound from city centreish, around the 1pm mark, I find it's a pair of buses every 30 mins :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

stop wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the 39a is terrible at bunching these days? Everytime I get it, southbound from city centreish, around the 1pm mark, I find it's a pair of buses every 30 mins :/

Yes, it happens fairly regularly in my experience.

I'm still waiting for the 79/27b merger. At least I won't have to change buses in the city centre after dark, that's been uncomfortable on several occasions. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Hmm. History repeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have seen on rtpi.ie two routes in Blackrock that are not meant to be there just yet, the 84 and 84A. I am thinking that is just a error on the website.

Is there any more announcements coming up about the network direct changes either on Friday of this week or next week about the 45/84 merger?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I have seen on rtpi.ie two routes in Blackrock that are not meant to be there just yet, the 84 and 84A. I am thinking that is just a error on the website.

Is there any more announcements coming up about the network direct changes either on Friday of this week or next week about the 45/84 merger?

Last Sunday of the month.

There were more changes announced this evening for routes 17a and 123 for the 27th of May.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/17a-Revised-Times/

(^This is another route that had it's timetable frequency changed twice)

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/1231/

This could be a sign of more changes to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Only found out the 16a was axed this morning when I was stood like a fool at the stop waiting on it, I only take it one morning a week or 2 evenings when I'm at college and never heard or saw anything about it being cut, only reason I'm not still stood there is because I over heard two old dears complain about having to get the 75 to the church and then wait on the 16 there :mad:

Not a massive deal to me I have 2 good legs to either go to a stop for the 16 on the grange rd or over to the stops for the 14/14a to get to town...... unless that changes the 14 buses too?????? Best go check that. Lot of elderly people on the 16a route will be put out but this I'd think. From my experience the 16a was usually busy enough to justify it's service heading to town but was pretty empty by the time it gets to nutgrove on the way back, I was often the only one left on it at various times so a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

The 14/a routes were changed last September? The changes are always advertised on the Dublin Bus website/Twitter/Facebook and there are leaflet drops done and I often see people on the affected routes handing out flyers.

• Advertisement

qerty wrote: »
    The 14/a routes were changed last September? The changes are always advertised on the Dublin Bus website/Twitter/Facebook and there are leaflet drops done and I often see people on the affected routes handing out flyers.

Ah good I knew about those 14/a changes just worried they changed again. Realistically though, personally I would never check the dublin bus site unless I wanted info for a route I wasn't familiar with, and certainly wouldn't follow them on twitter or facebook, nor would the old dears I mentioned though they would be better informed than me all the same I bet :D

We did get a leaflet for the 14 changes last year, not this time for the 16a , really though the place to advertise a change like this is on the bus itself !!! sure I wouldn't even check or even the timetable at the bus shelter if it's a time I get the bus regularly........ had I actually done so this morning though I might not have been stood there for so long becasue there actually was a notice there :o

Maps not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Maps not working.

They won't work until the new route is operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@Calex71
    The 14a no longer exists. But imo the revamped 14 is an alright service. I don't think it's any worse at any rate!

---

Wrt the 16a, I can understand why they've axed it as it's usually empty by Rathfarnham village, sometimes even Terenure. Few would get it all the way to Churchtown. When the 75's route is straightened out, there'll be a link between Rathfarnham (SC & village), Nutgrove, Churchtown, and Dundrum (Luas & village). I have a feeling it will become more popular then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair there are far more people using the 16 south of the Nutgrove Avenue/Grange Road junction than ever used the 16a between that point and the Nutgrove Avenue terminus and for years they have been deprived a decent level of service.

Nutgrove still has:
    2 x 17 per hour
    2 x 75 per hour
    1 x 61 per hour

And that is off-peak!!!

This is one decision that I think DB have got right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    Nutgrove still has:
    2 x 17 per hour
    2 x 75 per hour
    1 x 61 per hour

And that is off-peak!!!

I'm not arguing with you on the level of service but you can't compare a an arterial route with a two orbital routes - they don't go in the same direction!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'm not arguing with you on the level of service but you can't compare a an arterial route with a two orbital routes - they don't go in the same direction!

But with the 16 now been a high frequency route with busses up every 5 min they will never be left long for the connection.

They all connect with both the 15b and 16 in Rathfarnham for onward journeys, and the 17 itself covers the journey that many people made to/from Terenure.

The 61 provides an hourly direct service to/from the city centre.

People frankly want to have their cake and eat it - if people don't use the service in numbers, while others who do use it are being deprived a decent service, then I have limited sympathy for those who moan about it.

lxflyer wrote: »
    To be fair there are far more people using the 16 south of the Nutgrove Avenue/Grange Road junction than ever used the 16a between that point and the Nutgrove Avenue terminus and for years they have been deprived a decent level of service.

Nutgrove still has:
    2 x 17 per hour
    2 x 75 per hour
    1 x 61 per hour

And that is off-peak!!!

This is one decision that I think DB have got right.

my legs would argue with you on that after the 25 minute walk to a 16 bus stop, as I'll need to use that to get to where I need to go week nights while I'm going to classes :D

Also there are a too many stops too close together between terenure and harrolds x, they could do with losing a few of them, theres a couple where you would be pushed to walk between in any longer than 2 minutes.

Plus there would be the added cost of using a 75 or 17 to connect with the other bus

• Advertisement

Well firstly where are you going to?

Your journey is not going to cost more if you use a Travel 90 10 Journey ticket - the total cost would be €2.15 despite transferring buses.

People need to become smarter about how they get around the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement