Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Delighted with the 1,2,3 changes but I would say that when I live near Ringsend garage and I often head towards Drumcondra!! The morning Santry/Larkhill to city centre timetable looks a mess now.

What garage is the 47 operated from?? I'm a little suprised they are bringing it via Sandymount/Ringsend. I would say the Ballsbridge to Merrion Square area needs the service more.

Also regarding the 16 timetable, it's not targeted at tourists. There's the 747 for that market. There would still need to be some 41 service via the airport in the mornings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

To_be_Confirmed, The 47 operates out of Donnybrook Garage.

I wonder if the new revised 44 route from Larkhill to Enniskerry would still run out of Donnybrook too after becoming merged with the no.3 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

stop wrote: »
    Sneaky is releasing notice of changes on Friday afternoon when people are less likely to notice it.

Every change is announced on a Friday for the following Sunday week. The info will be online for at least a week before the changes come into effect. What is sneaky about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Does the new 16 route still go down Beaumont Road and Shantalla Road?
    I'm wondering because I use the 16 for access to Beaumont hospital on a regular basis, and the website isn't very clear on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

HQvhs wrote: »
    I'm wondering because I use the 16 for access to Beaumont hospital on a regular basis, and the website isn't very clear on this.

Whatever route the current 16a takes on the north side, the 16 will take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Nope,the NEW !,IMPROVED 16 will be direct through Whitehall and Santry,leaving the 1 to take up the slack on the round-the-houses bit.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Nope,the NEW !,IMPROVED 16 will be direct through Whitehall and Santry,leaving the 1 to take up the slack on the round-the-houses bit.

I think that was the plan at the start but its now staying in Beaumont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

lxflyer wrote: »
    Not that sneaky - they have to put the times up before the notice....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/CHanges-to-Routes-1-2-3-16-16a-44-44b-and-47/

Holy hell, what is that absolute shamble they call a timetable for the 1 and the 16... They really need to fix that weekday morning garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

They sure are freeing up a lot of route numbers, aren't they. There are already enough single-digit and double-digit numbers available so that it's no longer necessary to have three-digit numbers. (FTR, going from 1 to 99, including un-affixed versions of currently alpha-suffixed route numbers in use, it's now 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 28, 30, 34, 35, 36, 46, 48, 50, 51, 52, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 60, 62, 64, 71, 72, 73, 74, 77, 78, 80, 81, 82, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 and 99 not being used. There are nineteen treble-digit bus route numbers in the 1XX range and six in the 2XX range, with just one 7XX route number left. Think some revision in that area might be in order?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Absolute joke of an information release in fairness, although I'd expect nothing less from Dublin Bus at this stage.

I've read it for the second time today and I still don't know if DB are retaining a service to Poolbeg/ESB or what bus (if any?) is going to serve Beamount/Shantella. As usual the bus stop maps are "unavailable".

CIE, why not wait until Network Direct is over before renumbering the system?

• Advertisement

BenShermin wrote: »
    By that time, they'll use it as an excuse to raise fares or something...

Absolute joke of an information release in fairness, although I'd expect nothing less from Dublin Bus at this stage.

I've read it for the second time today and I still don't know if DB are retaining a service to Poolbeg/ESB or what bus (if any?) is going to serve Beamount/Shantella. As usual the bus stop maps are "unavailable".

No bus service is going to Poolbeg - it is being withdrawn.

There any demand for bus service that way these days? It was sporadic even in the 70s and 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

CIE wrote: »
    There any demand for bus service that way these days? It was sporadic even in the 70s and 80s.

There are still 4 or 5 passengers who travel to pigeon house road on the number 1 every morning, and this coming week, will be the last time they have a bus there.;)

It wouldn't be difficult to put a few extra minutes onto the 07.20 / 07.30 trip to run it down to the ESB and then on to St.John's. It's quite a walk from the nearest stop on Tritonville Rd., to the power station !

Took some lovely pictures while I was down there last summer, might just go for a wander round the old chimneys this week for old times sake...

As for the new timetable....my old man could have come up with a better one,... and he's 75 and hasn't been on a bus in nearly 50 years.:rolleyes:

It'll be easy on the gas for sure......60 minutes from Shanard Rd. to Sandymount will prove their undoing.... hopefully the review won't take too long, and might go back down to the ESB aswell.

The new DB fleet will come at this time I've discovered.

http://www.irishbuses.com/

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/fullscreen.html?mode=a&year=2012&month=7&day=9&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p0=78

It has also been reported from the Irish Road Passenger Transport Forum that the new buses are currently being constructed at the Wrightbus Factory in Ballymena. A large batch of these new buses will be based at Donnybrook, with a small amount of them sent to Ringsend.

However They won't be called VG's rather; they will be given a new type name called GT's instead.

http://irishtransport.yuku.com/topic/3412/New-Orders-for-2012-New-VG-s?page=1#.T6a7OujY_5s

How many new buses are they getting...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

as a fountain of knowledge when it comes to DB, do you know if the new 16 is going to serve Shantella/Beaumont? It would really entice me to use the service frequently to/from the Airport if it didn't.

Dub13 wrote: »
    How many new buses are they getting...?

The first 70 of them will definitely come in with 10 coming as an optional extra.

Even BE, although off topic, had more new coaches arriving at the broadstone depot earlier this week.

www.flickr.com/photos/57250583@N02/7140159203/

as a fountain of knowledge when it comes to DB, do you know if the new 16 is going to serve Shantella/Beaumont? It would really entice me to use the service frequently to/from the Airport if it didn't.

Ben Shermin.....You are hereby deemed,Enticed :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ben Shermin.....You are hereby deemed,Enticed :eek:
    It really is a shame that it is no longer serving Beaumont. The 16 is used quite heavily by RCSI students and others to get from the south city centre (Aungier St, near the main RCSI campus) to Beaumont hospital.

Indeed, often the bus is practically empty after the stop at Beaumont House once the traffic for the hospital gets off.

• Advertisement

It really is a shame that it is no longer serving Beaumont. The 16 is used quite heavily by RCSI students and others to get from the south city centre (Aungier St, near the main RCSI campus) to Beaumont hospital.

Indeed, often the bus is practically empty after the stop at Beaumont House once the traffic for the hospital gets off.

I'm guessing that the Company may well ask the students to subtract 2,add a little stroll,and thus come up with the 14 from Dawson St as their NEW, IMPROVED !! routing to Beaumont....not perfect I hear you muse,but hey,it's the times we're livin in...?

Its my understanding that the 16 is staying in Beaumont.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Route 16
    Ballinteer (Kingston) » Brehon Field Road » Grange Road » Rathfarnham Road » Terenure » Harold’s Cross » Leonard’s Corner » Camden Street Lower » O’Connell Street » Dorset Street » Beaumont (Shantalla) » Santry » Swords Road » Dublin Airport

At some stage anyway it was envisaged that 16 would serve Beaumont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

No where yet it has been stated (except on the initial proposals) that it wasn't serving Beaumont and Shantalla Rd. So why are we sure it isn't? I'd honestly prefer if it didn't it'll be a pain when they take the 41 out of the airport in the coming weeks.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    No where yet it has been stated (except on the initial proposals) that it wasn't serving Beaumont and Shantalla Rd. So why are we sure it isn't? I'd honestly prefer if it didn't it'll be a pain when they take the 41 out of the airport in the coming weeks.

See my post a bit back,I bet they don't take the 41 out of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

See my post a bit back,I bet they don't take the 41 out of the airport.

Do you know for certain? I seen both your posts but other people have contradicted and DB haven't exactly made it clear.

It makes perfect sense to take the 41 out of the airport. It'd be fairly ridiculous if that is a change they don't go ahead with. The detour adds a fair amount of time onto the route. Airport staff coming from Swords would still have the new 41a, 102 and the 33a/b which are supposedly being brought into the airport. Mind you if the 16 is doing the Beaumont loop I'll be delighted if the 41 sticks to its current routing.

Don't know for certain but have heard rumors,that added in with the first 16 from the airport on the new timetable down as 08:00 leaves me to believe the 41 is staying in the airport.There is no way the first regular bus is going to be that late into and from the airport.

At the moment the first 41 leaves the city at 05:00,on the new 16 timetable the first 16 leaves Ballinteer at 6:20 so arriving into the city maybe just before 7.

I think if we read between the lines we can work out that the 41 is staying doing the airport.

The 16 originally did not serve Beaumont, but went straight up the Swords Road to Shanard Road; the 16A's original terminus was on Shanboley Road back in the days when Shantalla Road didn't reach the Swords Road but instead ended at Lorcan Park.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the 16 should have retained the Shanard Road via Beaumont routing and the new route 1 should have been the Airport bus, actually...I do like the idea of having route number 1 attached to a frequent bus route, but having it be the local bus to the Airport would give it greater importance.

The new DB fleet will come at this time I've discovered.

It has also been reported from the Irish Road Passenger Transport Forum that the new buses are currently being constructed at the Wrightbus Factory in Ballymena. A large batch of these new buses will be based at Donnybrook, with a small amount of them sent to Ringsend.

However They won't be called VG's rather; they will be given a new type name called GT's instead.

Of probably far greater significance is the belated discovery that the new DB vehicles will be pre-wired for two validators,one each side of the centre door.

Whilst the Validators themselves will not be fitted,the installation of the wiring surely gives a strong indication that the curent BAC/LEAPCARD interface is not proceeding as some might prefer :confused:

• Advertisement

Don't know for certain but have heard rumors,that added in with the first 16 from the airport on the new timetable down as 08:00 leaves me to believe the 41 is staying in the airport.There is no way the first regular bus is going to be that late into and from the airport.

At the moment the first 41 leaves the city at 05:00,on the new 16 timetable the first 16 leaves Ballinteer at 6:20 so arriving into the city maybe just before 7.

I think if we read between the lines we can work out that the 41 is staying doing the airport.

For the moment that's true, but the Swords changes have yet to be implemented.

It could be that the early morning services on the 41 may still serve the airport in both directions until after 07:00 when the first northbound 16 arrives into the city, and thereafter route 16 will take over. However, I would not expect the 41 to continue serving the airport after that time, given there will be route 41a linking Swords with the airport.

Given the increase in 16 services to/from the airport that would be an unnecessarily high level of service, and unfair on Swords residents who have long suffered a 10 minute (minimum) increase in journey time due to the airport diversion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement