Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Only time will tell,should here about the Swords changes soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Of probably far greater significance is the belated discovery that the new DB vehicles will be pre-wired for two validators,one each side of the centre door.

Whilst the Validators themselves will not be fitted,the installation of the wiring surely gives a strong indication that the curent BAC/LEAPCARD interface is not proceeding as some might prefer :confused:

Well that's good news, sounds like the NTA are pushing them to the tag-on/tag-off model.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BenShermin wrote: »
    as a fountain of knowledge when it comes to DB, do you know if the new 16 is going to serve Shantella/Beaumont? It would really entice me to use the service frequently to/from the Airport if it didn't.

Thanks lol. I genuinely didn't know but from a further revision to the notice today, I'm afraid that route 16 will continue to serve Shantalla and Beaumont.
    Route 16 will continue to serve Beaumont (Shantalla) on the majority of journeys (exceptions highlighted in the timetable).

Dub13 wrote: »
    Only time will tell,should here about the Swords changes soon.

I suspect, given the way they have framed the other services, that is exactly what is planned in the early mornings (route 41 will cover the airport until the 16 starts).

Personally I'd prefer the 16 starting much earlier and finishing later to offer a service into the first and last flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    Thanks lol. I genuinely didn't know but from a further revision to the notice today, I'm afraid that route 16 will continue to serve Shantalla and Beaumont.

Yes indeed,it appears "representative interests" have resulted in the original Airport Service focus being diluted in favour of the status-quo.

Mind you,it's yet another example of the uniquely Non-Direct implimentation of a plan called Network Direct.....

It's a somewhat uniquely Irish interpretation of the term Direct,I'll give you that...:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Yes indeed,it appears "representative interests" have resulted in the original Airport Service focus being diluted in favour of the status-quo.

I'm not sure what the reasons for retaining the old route are but it's worth pointing out that Dublin Airport is a massive employer in north Dublin and one which Dublin Bus has been very poor at providing public transport to. With the exception of Swords, there is no or almost no bus service from the surrounding areas to the airport.

Straightening out the 16 is good for people travelling across the city to get to the airport but worse for people who live nearby and use it to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Mind you,it's yet another example of the uniquely Non-Direct implimentation of a plan called Network Direct.....

It's a somewhat uniquely Irish interpretation of the term Direct,I'll give you that...:D

But isn't there enough demand in Beaumont for the 16 to remain? What else would link the airport?

Personally I would suggest the 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Still waiting for DB to fix the map links on the revised route 47 webpage, four days before the changes come into effect, can't view the inbound or outbound maps on IE9 or Firefox.....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/47-Revised-Times/

The route is very straightforward.

It will follow the existing route 47 to Nutley Lane and then the existing route 2 as far as College Street to terminate at Fleet Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The route is very straightforward.

It will follow the existing route 47 to Nutley Lane and then the existing route 2 as far as College Street to terminate at Fleet Street.

Thanks, they've fixed it now anyway, map is visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

The new number 1 will start as advertised on Sunday, but there will probably be a timetable review in 3 to 4 weeks as the Labour court tribunal recommended it today.

Some of the late duties are absolute animals..and the powers that be agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

The 40 has been a joke since it became a cross city route with up to 5 buses bunching at any given time and gaps of 30-40 mins not usual at peak times but db excelled themselves today. Decided to visit a friend in james's hospital today. Waited for 40 on coldcut road for 55 minutes and then went home to get the car. At least 5 buses missing. I have visited the hospital a few times over the past couple of weeks and have had an average wait of 30-45 mins and on 2 occasions had to get a taxi as kids needed picking up from school. The largest hospital in the country has no rtpi in either direction. Db must be aware of this situation of bunching due to gps but nothing is being done to regulate the service. Currently there are 2 buses every 25-40 mins instead of advertised 1 every 10-12 mins. About time they addressed the problems with 40 as people like me are being forced back into our cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

rx8 wrote:
    The new number 1 will start as advertised on Sunday, but there will probably be a timetable review in 3 to 4 weeks as the Labour court tribunal recommended it today.

Some of the late duties are absolute animals..and the powers that be agreed.

What exactly is wrong with the late duties?
    stop wrote: »
    Rtpi pole at ucd had scrolling info saying from Sunday the number 1 would serve Shanard (Santry).

Why don't they hav specific messages f
    From Sunday 13th May, Routes 1, 2 and 3 will be amalgamated and will operate as Route 1
    See www.dublinbus.ie for details
    From Sunday 13th May, Route 1 will serve Santry (Shanard)
    Seems pretty specific to me. You know the basics from the display then if you need to know more go to the website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

A2000, I've already given up on the 40 for the exact reasons you mentioned. Gave Dublin Bus and their pathetic service the big Foxtrot Oscar and now on my more reliable bike, their loss!

It bloody sickens me to see Dublin Bus advertising Route 40 on the website and through a door leaflet campaign. "Why not leave the car at home next time and take route 40?" the leaflet says. Well DB, if I did that I'd lose my job for being late the whole time.

Network Direct has destroyed ANY resemblense of a good bus service in Ballyfermot and North Clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know where the 16's last stop at the Airport is?
    is it right up at T1, or further away?

On the far side of the Short Term Car Park that is in front of Terminal 1 - just walk straight through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

cool, might combine that route with the 46a in future instead of using the Aircoach (time permitting), and save about a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Further to my earlier post re 40 my wife took the car home and i went on into town. Missed a 40 in o'connell st at 18.06 & next one according to rtpi 18.54. So im now in a taxi. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

In relation to tomorrow's changes, I have seen signs up at bus stops; while at the RDS, that covers part of the route from Merrion Road to Westland Row that which tell the public about the changes to the 47 bus route. The sign only's says though that the bus will go through Merrion Road, Ailesbury Road and Strand Road, and that's all.

I don't know if Strand Road covers the entire route down towards Pearse Street. If it did it would have been useful to tell us a little more info. Me thinks that the signage has me a bit :confused:.

I had also seen while on the 7 today a yellow sign with a black arrow turning right for the new 47 route outside St Michael's College.

Also, I discovered in the last few minutes that DB have a new youtube channel that shows a new upcoming TV ad campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dublinbusnews?feature=watch

The two videos in it are very funny IMO. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

In relation to tomorrow's changes, I have seen signs up at bus stops; while at the RDS, that covers part of the route from Merrion Road to Westland Row that which tell the public about the changes to the 47 bus route. The sign only's says though that the bus will go through Merrion Road, Ailesbury Road and Strand Road, and that's all.

I don't know if Strand Road covers the entire route down towards Pearse Street. If it did it would have been useful to tell us a little more info. Me thinks that the signage has me a bit :confused:.

I had also seen while on the 7 today a yellow sign with a black arrow turning right for the new 47 route outside St Michael's College.

Also, I discovered in the last few minutes that DB have a new youtube channel that shows a new upcoming TV ad campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dublinbusnews?feature=watch

The two videos in it are very funny IMO. :D

The 47 will travel The current 2/3 route towards ucd belfield (not going in the campus) before continuing its usual route.

Bit of a loss for ballsbridge if rumours are correct, soon there will only be the 4 and 7 as the core city routes

Btw saw that ad on sky sports at break time. Guy in a car in a traffic jam talking omissions Before a bus flys past in the bus lane. No prizes for guessing the route!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Stevek101 wrote: »

Seems pretty specific to me. You know the basics from the display then if you need to know more go to the website...
    Sorry my message got posted before I was finished typing - fat fingers on the mobile!
    What I meant to say was:

Rtpi pole at ucd had scrolling info saying from Sunday the number 1 would serve Shanard (Santry).

Why don't they hav specific messages for each stop? Surely people at UCD don't need to know about the 1 serving Santry, the 47 taking over the UCD-City Centre via Sydney Parade is much more relevent.

They do seem to have different messages on different displays. Looks like the wrong one is on that display!

A2000 wrote: »
    Further to my earlier post re 40 my wife took the car home and i went on into town. Missed a 40 in o'connell st at 18.06 & next one according to rtpi 18.54. So im now in a taxi. Again.
    Went into town for a few pints this evening and took the bus, it's unfortunate that I can't drink and cycle!! Just missed a 40 at around 1600 and RTPI showed that the next 40 wasn't for another 29mins and then another at 35mins!! I walked to Chapelizod village for a bus instead.

Bring back the 78/a I say.

Once again Dublin Bus have made a mess of things. The timetable pages for the number 1, 44 and 47 are showing the wrong route maps today on the DB website.

Apparantly I can still get a number 1 from Poolbeg, the number 44 doesn't go to Larkhill, and the 47 is still using the Merrion Road corridor:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Of course DB make more mistakes.

The 16 is probably half right; half wrong. The map for the 16 shows the correct route going down starting at Dublin Airport heading towards Ballinteer. However; the opposite direction does not show that at all with the route only going to Santry. I see it still has 16A marked on the map as well even though it is no longer running a service. :confused:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Examples/Google-Map/?routeNumber=16&direction=IO&towards=Ballinteer+(Kingston)&from=Dublin+Airport

When will they ever learn?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

BenShermin wrote: »
    Once again Dublin Bus have made a mess of things. The timetable pages for the number 1, 44 and 47 are showing the wrong route maps today on the DB website.

Apparantly I can still get a number 1 from Poolbeg, the number 44 doesn't go to Larkhill, and the 47 is still using the Merrion Road corridor:rolleyes:.

I wonder is there staff issues? Only drivers on the Mon-Fri roster were route trained for the new 3/47 combo. The regular mon-sun 46a/47 drivers were denied due to costs. Problems were expected. Might just be a glitch in the Matrix!

No it probably has more to do with the link from the map page to the timetable page. The latter changed address overnight when the old pages were removed and the new timetables took over the old web address. The link was not set to auto update.

A simple computer error.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

No it probably has more to do with the link from the map page to the timetable page. The latter changed address overnight when the old pages were removed and the new timetables took over the old web address. The link was not set to auto update.

A simple computer error.

Again.

• Advertisement

stop wrote: »
    Again.

Totally agree - it's these sort of simple basic mistakes that DB consistently make. A lack of attention to detail.

In a similar vein, I see the NTA have not updated the onstreet RTPI displays and that the 1 is still going to Poolbeg and the 16 to Santry.

I do despair sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement