Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Thanks for all your advice and to those other people who responded. I've posted the letter directly to DB and await a response. Fingers crossed i get something amounting to a satisfactory response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

KD345 wrote: »
    You can key any stop number into the website (on the home page) to check if a bus is expected at that particular stop.
    It just says no information available for that stop
    Sorry, Real Time Information is currently unavailable for this bus stop.

this is the stop http://g.co/maps/mksc2 opposite Right price tiles

but all the busses apart from a couple in the mornings turn left towards Wolfe Tone Square here http://g.co/maps/gejst

It appears that there are two different routes that can be taken depending on driver/time of day etc and that at least six stops can be left without service for hours at a time

This might explain the odd routing? http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Archive/Route-45-Diversion/
    Route 45 Diversion
    Friday, October 22, 2010
    Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to roadworks commencing on the 26th October 2010 the following diversion will be in place on Route 45 for 3 weeks.

Inbound
    Route 45 will commence its journey from Woodview Drive through Wolf Tone Square and continue its journey as normal.

Outbound
    Route 45 will turn right from the Vevay Road onto the Boghall Road turning right and terminating at Woodview Drive.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience.
    Is it possible that some drivers are using the route of an old diversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Changes to Bus stops serving 39/39a and 79/79a are up now on DB website.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Change-of-bus-stops-on-Routes-3939a-and-7979a/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Changes to Bus stops serving 39/39a and 79/79a are up now on DB website.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Change-of-bus-stops-on-Routes-3939a-and-7979a/
    That 39/a stop on Crampton Quay was too far away from O'Connell bridge to be any use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

KC8 wrote: »
    Tallaght Services
    I believe there is some room for improvement here.
    Route 65: Rather than every 2 hours, why not run it between Blessington and the Square every 45 minutes with the same resources?
    Route 65B: Cancel the existing service and introduce a new route that runs from The Square in Tallaght along the following Route: Square > Aylesbury > Kilinarden > Citywest > N7 > M50 > N4 > Heuston > Quays > Hawkins Street. Operate every 15mins peak and 30 mins off peak. This will offer a much faster journey time. Many Bus Eireann services operate from the N7 to the N4 given the bus priority along the N4 and freeflow interchanges on the M50. Route 77a: Go back to old route. Operate every 15mins peak and 30 mins off peak. I reckon thjese changes would save 4 buses

I missed the post initially because of the black font as I use the Cloud skin... :)

There is no sense in shortening routes, it never works. The 56 didn't work (it was an unmitigated disaster). The 45 didn't work, the 68 and 69 would not have worked, the 65 wouldn't work.

The new 56A is one of the outstanding improvements to the network, reliable departures, every 75 minutes, all day, it is picking up the slack on the Crumlin Rd. All things the old 56 couldn't do. The 'new' 56A could go from Killinarden for the 50 and keep the 77A to the old route...bit of marketing..it is very often quicker than the Luas from Tallaght.

Bit of effort, that's all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

dfx- wrote: »
    I missed the post initially because of the black font as I use the Cloud skin... :)

There is no sense in shortening routes, it never works. The 56 didn't work (it was an unmitigated disaster). The 45 didn't work, the 68 and 69 would not have worked, the 65 wouldn't work.

The new 56A is one of the outstanding improvements to the network, reliable departures, every 75 minutes, all day, it is picking up the slack on the Crumlin Rd. All things the old 56 couldn't do. The 'new' 56A could go from Killinarden for the 50 and keep the 77A to the old route...bit of marketing..it is very often Usually quicker than the Luas from Tallaght.

Bit of effort, that's all...

Effort and Interest....both commodities worth a lot !! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

KC8 wrote: »
    Its clear my views arent accepted by all! One thing that I will continue to argue agaisnt is the view that the introduction of cross city services automaticaly means less reliability. With the bus gate in oepration at peak times this just shouldnt be the case. The AVL data should allow DB to establish the average and mean running times for all services and then build in industry standard turnaround times to ensure 95% of services run on time. Unfortunately, this doesnt appear to have been done in this case as running times are clearly too short in many instances.

My justification in curtailing the northside 27 route is due to the frequency of the 27A (27b was a typo - sorry).

Re Route 65. Other than a direct peak time service to the city, I suggest that increasing frequency by a factor of 3 but terminating it at Tallaght would be attratctive to many. Tallaght is likley to be the main destination for many custoemrs in any event.

Finally re route 45, I suggest extending Route 4 to Cornelcourt and cancelling route 45.
    45 route will be completely gone shortly

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It just says no information available for that stop

this is the stop http://g.co/maps/mksc2 opposite Right price tiles

but all the busses apart from a couple in the mornings turn left towards Wolfe Tone Square here http://g.co/maps/gejst

It appears that there are two different routes that can be taken depending on driver/time of day etc and that at least six stops can be left without service for hours at a time

There are certain times on the timetable where the bus travels around wolfe tone but the rest of the time it goes through. sometimes due to very bad parking by others the bus cant always turn in heading to Oldcourt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

45 route will be completely gone shortly

Until firm confirmation of that comes from DB I think it's still fair to say that is still very much a rumour that has being doing the rounds.

There are other rumours saying quite the contrary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

no real time info again yesterday

7236163.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 D14

The 161 needs to be cancelled and extra 61 journeys extended. A 61 departs Dundrum at 10, 11, 3 & 4. The 161 departs Dundrum at 10, 11, 3 & 430. Thats a complete waste, the diffrence of an extra 2km on the 61 would save one driver and one bus. Could the 61 not just run 4 extra return journeys to Rockbrook a day? It would also go down very well with local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

.it is very often quicker than the Luas from Tallaght.

Most things are quicker than the Luas from Tallaght to city centre. Only thing Luas is good for is certainty of travel time and observing anti social behaviour

Anyway due to the unreliability of the service I am now cycling. I left the IFSC at approx 6pm tonight. Two 27s were stuck in traffic just before the turn into Hawkins Street. These two 27s, still travelling together, eventually passed me on the Crumlin Road near Brickfields.

No number 27 bus passed me again on the way home to Tallaght. I left the route at Tallaght Hospital. And that stop's RTPI display showed the next bus (a 76) due in 18 minutes. So where are all the 27s hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

lxflyer wrote: »
    Until firm confirmation of that comes from DB I think it's still fair to say that is still very much a rumour that has being doing the rounds.

There are other rumours saying quite the contrary!

DB are again making changes to the 45 in at least two months time. They even proposed to keep the same route as before as far when as last Feburary. If they do decide to chop it this time, It will be a big shock story of the ND project IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

There were plenty westward, but nothing from 1340 to 1410 northbound and again until 1500. The 69 rescued as many as it could again. Pretty appalling.

yep terrible service now on that route and no signs of it getting better.

DB are again making changes to the 45 in at least two months time. They even proposed to keep the same route as before as far when as last Feburary. If they do decide to chop it this time, It will be a big shock story of the ND project IMO.

The 45 will be scrapped there is a rumour of the 45a probably going up the boghal road instead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

howiya wrote: »
    Most things are quicker than the Luas from Tallaght to city centre. Only thing Luas is good for is certainty of travel time and observing anti social behaviour

Just thinking that a main reason why people left it for the Luas was reliability and time taken to get into the city. The 56A used to get stuck between Walknstown and Kingswood for years on end, four of them 30 minutes apart in a 100m stretch of road.

Since the recession and the Mad Cow/Ballymount M50 access improvements, that obstacle is no longer in the way. But there's no effort put in to tell people this...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 45 will be scrapped there is a rumour of the 45a probably going up the boghal road instead

Again this is conjecture - until a public announcement is made by DB, nothing can be taken for granted.

Just thinking that a main reason why people left it for the Luas was reliability and time taken to get into the city. The 56A used to get stuck between Walknstown and Kingswood for years on end, four of them 30 minutes apart in a 100m stretch of road.

Since the recession and the Mad Cow/Ballymount M50 access improvements, that obstacle is no longer in the way. But there's no effort put in to tell people this...

Absolutely dfx,the old company motto of "Changing with the City" was,to me far more accurate than the puffed out "Serving the entire Community" blurb.

As Network Direct slowly unfolds,it's becoming apparent that some of the changes,after due diligence in modifying,tweaking and recognising reality are achieving results.

However,the problem we in Dublin Bus now face is that the original,highly contentious and poorly handled ND implimentation has left behind it a perception of failure and poorer service levels.

The 56A is one such case,in which realities were finally recognized and appropriate action taken.

As some posters here now admit,the 56A,to some, now offers a reliable,flexible and cheaper alternative to Luas,albeit on a much recuced frequency.

How the company propose to market this type of success is the real question....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The 56A has only 30 services a day, at frequencies of lower than one hour, through some of the most densely populated areas of the State. I am sure this is an improvement on what was there before, but it's hardly an example of a high quality public transport service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I'm a bit annoyed at the way the 140 Southbound is making its city centre stops (and real time info) along with the 46A instead of with the other Rathmines buses. This means that I have to run between 2 stops at D'Olier St and in Nassau St depending on whether a 140 or any other Rathmines bus comes first.

The 56A has only 30 services a day, at frequencies of lower than one hour, through some of the most densely populated areas of the State. I am sure this is an improvement on what was there before, but it's hardly an example of a high quality public transport service.

Its more that the luas is slow although reliable and that if you had the option you'd take the 56A before the luas. That option isn't always there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

What time period do you mean by "what was there before"...? During the 80s, the 56A had 66 "services" as you count them, for example; in 2007, there were 58 such "services".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

The 13 was again a shambles at lunchtime. There seemed to be a short supply of 13s and the one that I was trying to get didn't turn up anyway (I was watching it on the DB website but if disappeared off about 5 minutes to go while it remained on the RTPI site (and sign) through due. Ended up on a 40. Of course by Emmet Rd suddenly there was a convoy of 2x 40s and 3x 13s, managed to jump off the 40 and get the last (very much empty) 13 which got me where I wanted to go.

The way back was a Luas to James' and a 123 back to Christchurch (would normally walk the latter but was tight on time) - all buses on one travel 90 journey :)

... and while today was exceptional, it's really making me consider buying a bicycle.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Interestingly, there was an abundance of 13s yesterday at about 4.30. 2 arrived together at College Green, with the first one completely empty. Another one followed 8 minutes later (I was waiting on someone). 2 40s also arrived about that time

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Got a 40 in Dame st this morning and the woman in front of me asked the driver for 1.85. Cranky looking driver snaps at her its 2.15 and has been since the 1st January, its people like you that holds the buses up. Cool as a cucumber the woman looked at him and said: This is the first time I have used the bus this year as its idiots like you with bad attitudes that stopped me using them in the first place. One happy woman took her ticket and went to her seat. One further disgruntled driver then glared at me as I paid my fare as I was still laughing at the surprised look on his face as I dont think he expected the woman to retort. Yes I know little amuses me.............

A2000 wrote: »
    ........ Yes I know,little amuses me.............

Got that !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stl150

Got a 40 in Dame st this morning and the woman in front of me asked the driver for 1.85. Cranky looking driver snaps at her its 2.15 and has been since the 1st January, its people like you that holds the buses up. Cool as a cucumber the woman looked at him and said: This is the first time I have used the bus this year as its idiots like you with bad attitudes that stopped me using them in the first place. One happy woman took her ticket and went to her seat. One further disgruntled driver then glared at me as I paid my fare as I was still laughing at the surprised look on his face as I dont think he expected the woman to retort. Yes I know little amuses me.............

Absolutely brilliant.

I'm sorry but you cannot treat any customer like that. The drivers job depends on passengers... Or so you would think

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pity he didn't **** her off the bus for being abusive and calling him names :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm going to be a Devils Advocate and enquire as to how one can so accurately,deduce human moods...?

I have to say,that it's my experience that looks can deceive...be it staff,customer or interested observer.....although yes,I now see how amusement can be found in the process....:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement