Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

DjFlin wrote: »
    Yeah, I live in Leixlip, and the timetables at my stop don't match the ones on the site. It might just be that this stop was overlooked when updating or something. But its still very annoying.

What do the timetables show? It's possible they still show the old one perhaps. It should be the inbound timetable on this page.

This is the timetable for stops between Lucan and the city.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Its not that, I live in Leixlip.

They have introduced one intermediate timetable point on each route. Inbound on the 66/a/b that is in Lucan. Therefore all stops to Lucan still show the departure times from the terminus which is either Maynooth for the 66, or River Forest for the 66a and Castletown for the 66b.

Beyond Lucan towards the city the stops all display the time from Lucan.

They have yet to refine the timetables into multiple intermediate timing points. Hopefully this will come from analysing the data from the AVLC systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »
    Since the change to the 13 route the service has been awful. The changes were supposed to make the service more frequent but trying to get a bus to and from Ballymun lately is a nightmare.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Well ring them or write them and email and tell them that :)

I have done , and got this reply :

Many thanks for your comments. The Revised Route 13 was introduced on October 2nd and Dublin Bus is currently monitoring the service paying specific attention to passenger boardings and service timings. Once the post implementation review has been completed, Dublin Bus may make adjustments to timings and capacity to ensure that the servic emeets its targets.
    Kind regards,
    DublinBusNews

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Well ring them or write them and email and tell them that :)

What is writing to them going to do? :)
    I don't know if you noticed the bus lanes..or the city centre being closed to cars Or even the gridlock disappearing over the last few years :pac:

Gridlock has not fully disappeared; the city centre is far from closed to cars, enforcement of bus lanes and of keeping junctions clear is minimal; taxis often clog bus lanes and the busgate on College Green; many bus lanes are tiny without proper passing space to overtake cyclists and the city has recently designed more not less of these; at junctions bus lanes often disappear or turn into turning lanes; the majority of bus lanes have little traffic light priority; there are problems with bus stops and the bus lane network is still disjointed, in some places quite a lot. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

monument wrote: »
    What is writing to them going to do? :)

Gridlock has not fully disappeared; the city centre is far from closed to cars, enforcement of bus lanes and of keeping junctions clear is minimal; taxis often clog bus lanes and the busgate on College Green; many bus lanes are tiny without proper passing space to overtake cyclists and the city has recently designed more not less of these; at junctions bus lanes often disappear or turn into turning lanes; the majority of bus lanes have little traffic light priority; there are problems with bus stops and the bus lane network is still disjointed, in some places quite a lot. :pac:

Nearly fell out of my seat on the bus this morning when I saw a specific bus-lane clampdown by Garda on the Rock Road this morning! 1 car had already been pulled in and then I saw another Garda striding purposefully toward the bus lane from his hiding place to get another numpty, delighted.:D

Now, if there was enforcement of not blocking the junction between Westmoreland Street and O'Connell Bridge/Eden Quay it would make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

nommm wrote: »
    It seems a few drivers of the 83 bus have decided to change the route themselves. They've taken a short cut and missed my bus stop several times in the past week. Very annoying.

Any details? Which stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Now, if there was enforcement of not blocking the junction between Westmoreland Street and O'Connell Bridge/Eden Quay it would make a huge difference.

This particular location has and continues to be of great interest to me.

It is perhaps the highest profile junction in the City Centre,yet recieves absolutely ZERO attention from an Garda Siochana under normal conditions.

Thus a culture of absolute blood-curdling ignorance has built up in relation to what traffic laws can be ignored here.

The Left-Turn from Bachelors Walk to O Connell St,the NO Left Turn from O Connell St to Eden Quay and the Yellow Box Junction are rarely,if ever policed which often results in knock-on traffic problems and unseemly carry on as ignorance is yet again shown to prosper in the Irish driving environment.

The location is comprehensively Traffic Camera'd as well as having seperate Garda CCTV surveillance so the authorities cannot claim to be unaware of the situation,unless the operators are all doing an Admiral Lord Nelson on it...

The pertinent question remains .....WHY ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Had my first experience of a lost driver tonight on the 14.

AV332, the poor lad was very cautious, checking every junction on the southside inbound especially Ballinteer, Churchtown and Braemor Rd...going around roundabouts very slowly and one roundabout near Dundrum twice and one wrong turn off it :) A 20 minute journey was a 45 minute journey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know when the changes to the 15 15B 74 74a and 128 are going to happen

They have not announced a date yet. First anyone will know is when it is on www.dublinbus.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

I'd say tonight is the first big test for the new long cross city routes.

I can imagine certain routes are in utter chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The new 13 has been in utter chaos since it was ''improved!''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

A nice sample for you ;)
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:05
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:09
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:19
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:20
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:21

Then again it is suppose to operate every 10-15 minutes... So that's not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Stevek101 wrote: »

A nice sample for you ;)
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:05
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:09
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:19
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:20
    27 Edenmore via City Centre 20:21

Then again it is suppose to operate every 10-15 minutes... So that's not bad at all.

Got on a 70 at 18.06 from Leeson Street,not even at Mcdonalds at cabra and it's 20.15.

I would walk if the rain eased at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

On the 27 at Dolphins Barn this evening!

Text from friend at 7pm earlier;

Dublin bus radio message "drivers stop calling in, system jamming up"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Not a big fan of that much of what Dublin Bus does, but there's really no point in measuring anything by this evening.

When the rain was still bucketing down it had already been said that the normal rainfall for October had fallen in just a few hours. A good few roads and motorways were partly or fully closed, and train and Luas services were badly affected.

Agreed.

But I think the point is that with combined longer routes, the timetables and service levels are more vulnerable to disruption, and despite the fact that tonight's rain was exceptional, we have months to come of Winter weather, and there will be nights when traffic will be worse than others etc and the timetable will disintegrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Agreed.

But I think the point is that with combined longer routes, the timetables and service levels are more vulnerable to disruption, and despite the fact that tonight's rain was exceptional, we have months to come of Winter weather, and there will be nights when traffic will be worse than others etc and the timetable will disintegrate.

I've said that from the get go..the longer the route in dublin then the far greater the chance of total disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Stevek101 wrote: »
    A nice sample for you ;)

The RTPI was useless last night, I was waiting on the 7d (only one service per evening) on Leeson St and it popped up as 3 minutes, then 4 and so on for the guts of 20 minutes, walked down to an earlier stop as was afraid i wouldn't get on at my stop, another 15 minutes later decided to hop on a 7b, two of which arrived at the same time. Got off it (in fairness flew along N11) at stop just after UCD and 15 minutes later the 7d arrived, thankfully 3 people got off there or I probably wouldn't have got on, fair play to the driver though he was getting as many people on as possible.

Still had the numpties crowding around downstairs when there were seats upstairs, FFS think of others who might want to get on, you're codding the driver into thinking the bus is totally full!

Network Direct/RTPI related..

Shocking standard of service as ever on the 13 late this evening, not even one every half hour was being kept to southbound. I was waiting for the 2230 ex-Harristown service, should get to the city at 2300/2305..well it didn't turn up and as of 2335, the 2300 service didn't either despite being scheduled by the text service to arrive at 2328...

But the 2230 service showed up on the RTPI displays on D'Olier St and O'Connell St and ticked down to about 10 minutes, then just disappeared from the display completely and didn't come back. Under what circumstances could it disappear..did it realise a bus it was calculating wasn't going to arrive?

• Advertisement

The only circumstances I can think of are:
    1) Bus breaking down
    2) Bus regulated to a short working to city centre only

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

3) Driver told to run OOS to destination to recover time (or whatever other excuse) only letting current passengers off. happens quite a lot on the 45 / 145 in my experience.

Been a fair few times I've seen buses go by OOS with passengers on board, only to catch up (either by taxi or bus) with them later in the route back running as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

dfx- wrote: »
    Network Direct/RTPI related..

Shocking standard of service as ever on the 13 late this evening, not even one every half hour was being kept to southbound. I was waiting for the 2230 ex-Harristown service, should get to the city at 2300/2305..well it didn't turn up and as of 2335, the 2300 service didn't either despite being scheduled by the text service to arrive at 2328...

The 13 has been a disaster so far, buses are not able to keep up with the allocated running time so we have short workings to the City Centre resulting in large gaps in service. Very often not just one but two buses don't operate. Talking to a few drivers I know from the route they say they just can't make the running time, one telling me that despite driving as fast as he dared go he was still 25 mins late at the terminus.....

The 78A/40 changes are due on November 6th so who knows what chaos they will bring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

lxflyer wrote: »
    1) Bus breaking down

Item 1 I can understand, but 2 is a joke excuse. The longer routes by definition should complete their journey, what happens if I as a passenger pay full fare to go from one end to other and am told get off at O'Connell Street (even though it may not be communicated to me when I get on!)

If it's STILL happening on the 145's from phase 1 of ND what chance is there for the newer less reliable routes getting sorted!

The longer this goes on the more ND will be deemed a dramatic failure. It had potential but yet again DB or whoever decided on the changes has mucked it up

1) Bus breaking down

It must've been 1 I guess, but I had imagined if that was the case, the display would just keep counting down until due and then disappear. I was waiting on O'Connell St and didn't see any Harristown or Conyngham Rd buses come down out of service from Parnell Sq.

But from a passenger point of view, surely a frequency of every 30 minutes doesn't need to be regulated..unless there's a really big problem..

Item 1 I can understand, but 2 is a joke excuse. The longer routes by definition should complete their journey, what happens if I as a passenger pay full fare to go from one end to other and am told get off at O'Connell Street (even though it may not be communicated to me when I get on!)

If it's STILL happening on the 145's from phase 1 of ND what chance is there for the newer less reliable routes getting sorted!

The longer this goes on the more ND will be deemed a dramatic failure. It had potential but yet again DB or whoever decided on the changes has mucked it up

Well given that the poster who suggested that it is still happening on the 145 is not even in Ireland any more then I wouldn't pay too much heed to it. It was happening frequently before the new rosters were introduced which is when I would suggest he experienced it.

Since the revised rosters came in on the 145 it has become far more reliable.

That's exactly what needs to happen with the 13, 27 and 77a.

As for no short workings - in order to try and get buses and drivers back to where they ought to be that may well be the only option available to the controller. The driver could be due his/her break - or could be due to finish. It should not be happening in the first place if the rosters were achievable. It's likely the bus was displaying City Centre as the destination so people would not be paying fares for further - the RTPI may not be able to handle this (I don't know).

The company need to address this quickly and sort out the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Well given that the poster who suggested that it is still happening on the 145 is not even in Ireland any more then I wouldn't pay too much heed to it. It was happening frequently before the new rosters were introduced which is when I would suggest he experienced it.

was happening up to late August anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's likely the bus was displaying City Centre as the destination so people would not be paying fares for further

Isn't it just as likely that the call to truncate the route was made while the bus was in transit? Bit disingenuos to suggest otherwise IMO

And as dfx points out, if Dublin bus can't provide a bus service that promises only one every half hour, then the problems are deeper than work patterns

Dodge wrote: »
    Isn't it just as likely that the call to truncate the route was made while the bus was in transit? Bit disingenuos to suggest otherwise IMO

And as dfx points out, if Dublin bus can't provide a bus service that promises only one every half hour, then the problems are deeper than work patterns

I'm not being diengenuous at all.

A decision to curtail a cross-city working is usually made before the bus departs as the controller will be trying to plan how to get the bus and driver back to where they ought to be. It also avoids having rows between drivers and passengers when the bus arrives at the city centre and terminates.

What can happen during the journey is where a bus driver is told to switch to out of service and operate in set-down mode only. This is usually where a particular bus is operating late due to some unforeseen delay and generally only happens on the section of the route where alternative options are available.

As to the cause of this, it is totally down to the rosters and the running time (i.e. the amount of time the schedule allows a bus to get from one terminus to the other).

In simple terms it is fairly obvious that the buses are not being allowed sufficient running time to get from one terminus to the other. After a return journey this could have doubled and the bus and driver are then nowhere near where they ought to be (e.g. at a terminus when they should be in the city centre). At that point the controller needs to try to get them back in position to try to restore the service and this can only be done by truncating or cancelling services. The second problem is that there are no drivers sitting in the depot who can be called upon to take up the slack mid-route.

What is needed is a roster that allows the buses sufficient time to make the journey and allow a little "wriggle room" for unforeseen delays. The problem is that takes time to draw up and then get agreement on it with drivers and the NTA.

It is a farcical and unacceptable situation tbh, and the customers are losing out here. It should never get to this stage - DB management need to sort this out quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is part of the problem of having more cross city routes,it introduces unreliability.Take the stretch of road from camden street down to george street,on a mon,tue and wen night that could take a bus 3/4 min yet on thur and fir night it could be up to 30 min.

I am not sure how you work that into a Mon to Fir timetable,and thats just one example I am sure there are many more around the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement