Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E72 unlocked for €199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Darragh wrote: »
    Is there a way that you think Boards.ie can facilitate this? For example, if we had a company on, they'd offer to keep a certain product at a certain price for a specific time period? Would this be something you'd be happy to see happen in Bargain Alerts?

In this case, the retailer didn't come on to offer discounts, they came on to answer questions about their business. There was no onus on them to give offers to Boards.ie members, but they did. I think this should be praised rather than shot down, no matter what hours people are on the site or what offers they didn't get.

tbh Darragh you are biased in this case because you are not defending a retailer but an acquaintence. Jist of the complaints are the sudden increase in price(whether or not its still good value or not),no one knew it had a time limit(myself inc).Will keep an eye out for future bargains but that sudden hike ruined the good image it had a few hours ago. Fair play to Pat on the shipping though, kept his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

babo9 wrote: »
    Hiking up charges or intoducing a stealth tax is hardly comparable to increasing the price of a single product! If you saw a can of coke in tesco for 50 cent and went in tomorrow and saw it for 75 cent, would you go off the rails about it!?

I seems to be uniquely Irish!

Guess that's why we're considerd nice ppl :P

Listen mate, your either looking for an argument or out to prove my point. Your doing exactly what I find unbeleivable. Some guy who probably didn't buy anything from the vendor jumps in with a comment about cans of coke in tescos as an example!!!!!!!! I'm not a child and I'm not on a rant, you certainly dont have to simplify it to me by swapping phones that jump from €99 to €149 to daily items priced under a euro even after a 50% rise!

The guy did what probably 99% of business men do - he seen a lot of interest in the phone and hiked up the price - simple as.I just think the way it was done was a bit clandestine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

I saw this this morning and was excited about getting the Jet for €100 (I even thought shipping would be thirty-something euro). Was disappointed to see the price raised so quickly, especially with (or because of?) so much interest this thread.

I understand its just supply and demand so i just want to register my interest in a Jet for €100. If enough of us want it at that price surely it would be worth your while to offer it again (unless its a loss leader in which case: :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

+1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

People have to realise that the Jet sells for 250~ex shipping on ebay and the likes. It's a steal even at 149. And that e71 is tempting as a backup phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

The people that are angry about this are more angry that they missed out on a good bargain because they delayed too long, rather than the company 'screwing them over'.

It sucks if you were in the market for the Jet at that price, but you're dealing with a business here and they can do what they want with their prices.

You're only angry because the price was SO good for a period of time. If the company had the phone priced at €149 to begin with, you wouldn't be complaining, but you'd be praising an Irish company for such low prices.

Anyways, it's not such a huge difference in price if you add the old shipping onto the €99 price and the new shipping onto the €149 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

He's ignored the question from me twice after coming back on responding to others.

The fact that Eglinton St. is spelled Eglington St. on the website doen't add to my confidence.

LoL I work on Eglinton Street myself and it took me about 3 minutes to see the difference between those 2 words! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The jist of users' annoyance, regarding the price increase of the Samsung Jet, is more to do with the fact that once a few users mentioned their interest in the handset, and questioned if anything could be done about the P&P price, Pat said to "leave me work on this tomorrow... will update AM" and then lowered the P&P price, but increased the handset price.

Regardless of whether the handset is still cheaper than anywhere else online, it's bad faith how things were handled. People were waiting on Pat to get back to them before placing their order, so they were, quite rightly, expecting to be paying less than last night's price, not more.

If the Samsung Jet's price was a special limited offer, then surely Pat would have known this offer ended today and at least have it mentioned somewhere on the site, or even advise the prospective buyers of that fact so they wouldn't be shocked upon discovering the 50% price increase.

I also agree with kingaaa's comments. It does seem a typically Irish approach to defend companies, service providers etc, and reminds me of when certain companies were advertising unlimited plans, but had secret limits, and people were jumping to the companies' defense stating "well it's in their t&c's," as if that was a valid justification and made it all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The jist of users' annoyance, regarding the price increase of the Samsung Jet, is more to do with the fact that once a few users mentioned their interest in the handset, and questioned if anything could be done about the P&P price, Pat said to "leave me work on this tomorrow... will update AM" and then lowered the P&P price, but increased the handset price.

Regardless of whether the handset is still cheaper than anywhere else online, it's bad faith how things were handled. People were waiting on Pat to get back to them before placing their order, so they were, quite rightly, expecting to be paying less than last night's price, not more.

If the Samsung Jet's price was a special limited offer, then surely Pat would have known this offer ended today and at least have it mentioned somewhere on the site, or even advise the prospective buyers of that fact so they wouldn't be shocked upon discovering the 50% price increase.

I also agree with kingaaa's comments. It does seem a typically Irish approach to defend companies, service providers etc, and reminds me of when certain companies were advertising unlimited plans, but had secret limits, and people were jumping to the companies' defense stating "well it's in their t&c's," as if that was a valid justification and made it all ok.

I think it was actually a misprice and they decided to say it was a special offer they were obviously making a loss on it and decided to put the price up so that they can once again make a profit on it, i have no problem with them putting the price up but it woould have been good if people knew beforehand knew that it was a limited offer

Vertakill wrote: »
    The people that are angry about this are more angry that they missed out on a good bargain because they delayed too long, rather than the company 'screwing them over'.

It sucks if you were in the market for the Jet at that price, but you're dealing with a business here and they can do what they want with their prices.

You're only angry because the price was SO good for a period of time. If the company had the phone priced at €149 to begin with, you wouldn't be complaining, but you'd be praising an Irish company for such low prices.

Anyways, it's not such a huge difference in price if you add the old shipping onto the €99 price and the new shipping onto the €149 price.

Jesus, we are turning into a nation of psychologists now!!!!:confused::confused: Read my other posts that have already explaing away your arguments. I admit it still is a good price compared to others but I wont buy one for the reasons I stated.How come nobody has mentioned how the shipping could be so drastically reduced? If they can ship at the new shipping price without it affecting profits then surley the old shipping price was just another way of hiking up the profit?I wasn't in the market for a new phone, but when I saw it at €99 I was interested, but then I seen the shipping price and wouldn't pay it - simply because I know it doesn't cost that much to ship a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lads can we move on from the same posts going round in circles. Enough feedback has been given to let Maxroam know how people feel about the price change. He has also said everything is a special and prices can change at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ.. I was away for one day and the amount of goddamn moaning on this thread is unbelievable!

Cop the feck on people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Davy wrote: »
    Lads can we move on from the same posts going round in circles. Enough feedback has been given to let Maxroam know how people feel about the price change. He has also said everything is a special and prices can change at anytime.
    If we had more people just politely letting him know we'd buy at €100 he might reconsider. You can never have enough (polite) feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Bargains come and go all of the time - the retailer sold a certain number of phones at the low-low price of €99 and subsequently the price went back up - c'est la vie. This is a Bargain 'Alert' not a Bargain 'Guaranteed' forum.

If the price goes back down to €99, then I would be seriously tempted to buy the Jet, otherwise I will quite happily hold off. Good to see an Irish online retailer offering some good deals, rare is the case.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Bargains come and go all of the time - the retailer sold a certain number of phones at the low-low price of €99 and subsequently the price went back up - c'est la vie. This is a Bargain 'Alert' not a Bargain 'Guaranteed' forum.

If the price goes back down to €99, then I would be seriously tempted to buy the Jet, otherwise I will quite happily hold off. Good to see an Irish online retailer offering some good deals, rare is the case.

Lads, can somebody explain the mentality of this post? You are saying something that has already been said many times in this thread - whats the point? Nobody has disagreed with the point that sales dont last forever - read the posts. The problem has been with the way the price increase was introduced. Go to the likes of the Richersounds thread, John will let you know if he has a sale, but he will also let you know how many or how long it will last, and he certainly would'nt hike the price back up if there were several enquiries ongoing - not without a warning.

On a different note 2 mods basically told anybody critising this to be quiet. This is very dangerous ground - after all its a discussion forum not a bargains alert site where you just get an alert and no chance to comment.As far as im aware there has been no abuse here - just points of view.I dont agree with them all, some I dont even understand - but we are entitled to them. I think mods over-step they're mandate when they try to supress discussion.

then again, maybe i'm just wrong:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

kingaaa wrote: »
    Lads, can somebody explain the mentality of this post? You are saying something that has already been said many times in this thread - whats the point? Nobody has disagreed with the point that sales dont last forever - read the posts. The problem has been with the way the price increase was introduced. Go to the likes of the Richersounds thread, John will let you know if he has a sale, but he will also let you know how many or how long it will last, and he certainly would'nt hike the price back up if there were several enquiries ongoing - not without a warning.

On a different note 2 mods basically told anybody critising this to be quiet. This is very dangerous ground - after all its a discussion forum not a bargains alert site where you just get an alert and no chance to comment.As far as im aware there has been no abuse here - just points of view.I dont agree with them all, some I dont even understand - but we are entitled to them. I think mods over-step they're mandate when they try to supress discussion.

then again, maybe i'm just wrong:confused::confused::confused:

Christ lads ... should I mention that the phone I was after the E72 went from €242 I think it was its in a comment on my twitter profile to 199 later on in the day ... I thought I should come on here and start moaning about how ridiculous it was they reduced the price further and I could avail of it so thats why I started this thread in the first place.

I think its still at €199 yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that

You snooze you lose ... There are what 10k+ views of this thread now ? giving conversion rates on adverts being from 0.5 - 3% depending and this being a bargain alert post its likely that they've ended up selling 100+ of the phones at the original price .. I've no idea where their margin is with that but so be it

They probably have limited stock on these things 100 x €99 = ~ 10000 euro worth of stock in store (they are delivering next day ish) ... so erm if thats gone they have to order more would people be complaining so much if the phone was out of stock and couldn't be ordered at all ? They still seem to be passing on good deals so I really have to say I'm sorry for even starting this thread .. the amount of bitching and moaning that has ensued is un ****ing real cop on!

forbairt wrote: »
    Christ lads ... should I mention that the phone I was after the E72 went from €242 I think it was its in a comment on my twitter profile to 199 later on in the day ... I thought I should come on here and start moaning about how ridiculous it was they reduced the price further and I could avail of it so thats why I started this thread in the first place.

I think its still at €199 yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that

You snooze you lose ... There are what 10k+ views of this thread now ? giving conversion rates on adverts being from 0.5 - 3% depending and this being a bargain alert post its likely that they've ended up selling 100+ of the phones at the original price .. I've no idea where their margin is with that but so be it

They probably have limited stock on these things 100 x €99 = ~ 10000 euro worth of stock in store (they are delivering next day ish) ... so erm if thats gone they have to order more would people be complaining so much if the phone was out of stock and couldn't be ordered at all ? They still seem to be passing on good deals so I really have to say I'm sorry for even starting this thread .. the amount of bitching and moaning that has ensued is un ****ing real cop on!

Why do you think I keep replying to this? you keep using language like "moaning" and "kop-on" "you snooze you loose"

1. I'm not moaning, im making my point on a discussion board.
    2. kop on to what? your way of thinking?
    3. I'm happy for you that you got a phone cheaper than it was originally, I was waiting to hear back about a shipping price but when I got home the price of the phone had increased by 50%

Im not stuck for money, but I dont throw it away - hence being on the bargain alert discussion board.There is only one way to get your point accross when you think somebody is taking advantage - thats let your feelings known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭podge3

Go to the likes of the Richersounds thread, John will let you know if he has a sale, but he will also let you know how many or how long it will last, and he certainly would'nt hike the price back up if there were several enquiries ongoing - not without a warning.
    I, too, was going to mention John & Richersounds. He has a loyal following on here and would never do what Maxroam did.

I have no problem with the price going up but I do think that the way it was done was wrong and has back-fired on Maxroam. I will certainly not purchase from them.

P.S.

This thread would have been long over by the way except for the fact people who voiced their dis-satisfaction at the way the increase was introduced kept being shot down as "moaners" and "gripers". I was mildly bothered about the phone - but I think some of the replies here bothered me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We have a number of special offers at present
    all of these phones are never locked (no issues where in the world you use them or what SIMS you enter)
    http://www.maxroam.com/Shop/Product/List.aspx
    any issues just shout
    pat at maxroam dot com

Will you be adding more phones for sale on the website? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭sxt

I think "Maxroam: Pat" should just type out an essay type length post responding to the jist of all the posts made so far... or else move this thread to "after hours" because stuff could be thrown soon:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

basquille wrote: »
    Christ.. I was away for one day and the amount of goddamn moaning on this thread is unbelievable!

Cop the feck on people!

Stone_Cold_Truth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Why do you think I keep replying to this? you keep using language like "moaning" and "kop-on" "you snooze you loose"

1. I'm not moaning, im making my point on a discussion board.
    2. kop on to what? your way of thinking?
    3. I'm happy for you that you got a phone cheaper than it was originally, I was waiting to hear back about a shipping price but when I got home the price of the phone had increased by 50%

Im not stuck for money, but I dont throw it away - hence being on the bargain alert discussion board.There is only one way to get your point accross when you think somebody is taking advantage - thats let your feelings known.

1: Apologies ... I am as well
    2: No to business ... if you will suffer a loss selling something at price x don't sell it at price x
    3: I actually didn't buy I'm in Madrid at the moment and have no idea when delivery would take place given uncertain nature of air traffic at the moment

I'm out for a bargain .. I posted hoping people would be happy .. maxroam would benefit from some good PR as I follow their company on twitter and like what I see of them ... have never met pat but think he's good people. Someone taking advantage would be charging your credit card more than you signed up for .. this is changing prices and letting people make up their mind if they want to go for it or not ... as I said the E72 was 242 earlier and then down to 199 when I posted on here ... so be it ...

Ordering is locked down to your home address for your credit card hence the issue for me ordering at the moment my home credit card address is in galway but I'll be getting one when I'm back in Ireland :) ... also the postage for me is 50 quid which still makes it a lot cheaper than vodafone prepay ...

John and the rest of the lads over at RicherSounds are an exception.. try and find one other retailer that does this.

Maybe Pat was too busy to answer these ongoing queries.. he needs to make money with his business too. John over at the RS forum has Ash and Kenny to help out and man the forums for questions and queries - Pat appears to be representing MaxRoam on his own has been here less than 24 hours.

Give him a break!
    I never said anyone to be quiet.. I simply said the amount of moaning was unbelievable!

When we post up offers for Play / Amazon / SendIt / any other retailer, there's never any indication of whether it'll be on special for 5 minutes or for 5 months.. and yet people accept when it's 'Expired', and the price is increased.

What is the difference in this scenario? The price of the product went up when limited stocks of it on special ran out up.. this is how 'Bargain Alerts' works. And instead of acknowledging it and accepting it, people came on here and began to piss and moan about MaxRoam (despite the fact that Pat took our suggestion of reducing shipping and reduced it by over 50%).

This is Bargain "Alerts"... it pays to be "alert!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

John and the rest of the lads over at RicherSounds are an exception.. try and find one other retailer that does this.

Maybe Pat was too busy to answer these ongoing queries.. he needs to make money with his business too. John over at the RS forum has Ash and Kenny to help out and man the forums for questions and queries - Pat appears to be representing MaxRoam on his own has been here less than 24 hours.

Give him a break!

I never said anyone to be quiet.. I simply said the amount of moaning was unbelievable!

When we post up offers for Play / Amazon / SendIt / any other retailer, there's never any indication of whether it'll be on special for 5 minutes or for 5 months.. and yet people accept when it's 'Expired', and the price is increased.

What is the difference in this scenario? The price of the product went up when limited stocks of it on special ran out up.. this is how 'Bargain Alerts' works. And instead of acknowledging it and accepting it, people came on here and began to piss and moan about MaxRoam (despite the fact that Pat took our suggestion of reducing shipping and reduced it by over 50%).

You can't have your cake and eat it kids!

i think peeps are pissed that the price went up as soon as he put the extortionately high postage cost down.

I was working nights last night and didn't have my card wit me, was going to order a Jet, i woke up at 6pm, went to get one and the price had gone up, therefore he won;t be getting my custom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I know somebody that was looking for a new phone and I told them last night about the Samsung Jet that was on sale at Maxroam. They tought great, its a nice phone in my price bracket, I'm going to order it! I informed them to wait until the tomorrow cause they were going to try and sort cheaper shipping for people in Ireland. Then when they logged on today they had reduced the price of delivery but put up the price of the phone. You can see how they are going to be annoyed.

From where I'm sitting it looks like:

- They were making a nice amount of profit for overcharging for delivery and when the dropped the delivery charge they decided to put up the price of the phone.

Of course, by all means they are well entitled to do this. But they should have a special offers section or put a little special offer graphic on whatever phones are on special at the moment.

If we weren't told about the change in delivery charge we'd all be happy.

Not the greatest publicity for a new company, first impressions are everything and I will think twice before I purchase anything from them. And I sure a lot of people on this forum are of the same thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

If everyone on this thread that's threatening to not use MaxRoam in future keep to their word, there'll be loads more phones and time for the rest of us!:p

scudzilla wrote: »
    i think peeps are pissed that the price went up as soon as he put the extortionately high postage cost down.

I was working nights last night and didn't have my card wit me, was going to order a Jet, i woke up at 6pm, went to get one and the price had gone up, therefore he won;t be getting my custom
    Sorry to put it so bluntly.. but ya snooze, ya lose!

And the price didn't go up once the high postage cost came down... I saw it was reduced on Twitter while Boards.ie was offline from 8.30am - 9.15am this morning. There were plenty of orders put in between then and 1pm today (roughly the time the price went up).

It was a great offer... it lasted over 4 hours at that steal of a price. I didn't get it.. would have liked it for the girlfriend, but this is how Bargain Alerts work!
    jenno86 wrote: »
    From where I'm sitting it looks like:

- They were making a nice amount of profit for overcharging for delivery and when the dropped the delivery charge they decided to put up the price of the phone.
    Not the case - see the time-frame above!
    jenno86 wrote: »
    Of course, by all means they are well entitled to do this. But they should have a special offers section or put a little special offer graphic on whatever phones are on special at the moment.
    Pat said earlier on thread:
    all our prices will change on a constant basis

and
    We have limited numbers at low prices of each model

I fail to see the problem with this! :confused:

Give him a break!

If I was involved in a thread with the M.D. of PLAY/SENDIT/AMAZON and while waiting for a shipping price adjustment the product in question's price increased by the same ratio the shipping had been reduced, then yeah - I would be p***ed off! why all the analagies? lets just keep to this particular product with this particular company, not coke from tescos, play.com, amazon or whoever!

(and before anybody says "na na na-na na, you mentioned richersounds, that was just an example of a great way to do business and always atract repeat business)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Might be a good idea to out that on their website so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement