Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭techdiver

Bonito wrote: »
    I've never heard such tripe. Whatever amount someone chooses to eat and what their lifestyle choices are is none of your business and you'd have to have a pretty sad life to belittle an obese stranger that you pass in the street. Thinking you're better than someone just because they weigh more than you? That's petty and ridiculous.

I don't agree with belittling people, not at all. It is however damaging to a persons health to continue to overeat and under exercise. It is however even quite difficult to try to explain this to some one.

My example was when I pilled on weight no one commented on it, in fact when I told people what I weighed, they would always say - "Ah shur you carry it well", or "you don't look fat though, you look well built". All of this was crap, I was fat and those comments were social sugar coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

We have a tax on smoking and on alcohol because those things cost our healthcare system money. Lots of money..

So how do you tax food? You can't.

So what you now have is fat people costing our healthcare money and not contributing anything extra.

However on the thread topic - I would not consider being fat/ovese socially acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

No one should be too fat, no one should be too skinny, rah rah rah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Rodar08 wrote: »
    People by nature can be cruel and some have a great knack of demeaning another person if they are any way inferior to themselves. It is a tough one to tackle and the right approach needs to be considered carefully.

It has been proven that obese/overweight people are that way for reasons other than being greedy fat pigs!! Depression, loneliness, addiction, physical disability etc. etc. So to bandy around an idea for this is only touching on a far greater and bigger scale problem. There are a lot of things to consider.:)Have a nice day.

That's all I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'm fat and I couldn't give a flying f*ck what anyone thinks of my appearance anymore.

I often wonder if it says more about the person making the remark than the person to whom it's being made. It displays a certain narrowmindedness in my view. Besides, poor lifestyle isn't always to blame for obesity. Sometimes it's beyond the persons control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've never heard such tripe. Whatever amount someone chooses to eat and what their lifestyle choices are is none of your business and you'd have to have a pretty sad life to belittle an obese stranger that you pass in the street. Thinking you're better than someone just because they weigh more than you? That's petty and ridiculous.

Oh here we go.

Way to put words in my mouth. When did I say I would belittle a stranger on the street?

But yes, I do think I am better than obese people. Do you know why? Because I eat healthily and exercise regularly at the gym. I respect myself enough to look good, and not put my body under the multitude of stresses and problems that come with being inactive and overweight. It's not the extra flab that make obese people unappealing, it's their carelessness and lack of decency and respect to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Where as with someone who is overweight, it can be for a number of reasons, not just over eating.

It has everything to do with over eating unless they have a genuine medical condition.

In regards to the OP smoking harms others in confined spaces as well as the smoker plus the effect of smoking related illness on the NHS.

Drinking also causes harm to 3rd parties through fighting, criminal damage etc and again the burden on the NHS through drink related illness (and the cost of pumping stomaches, stitching people up etc).

Obesity really just affects the over eater at this time however seeing as obesity is on the rise then it'll have an impact on the NHS and then it's totally open season on fatties imo. I'm not really sure what the current impact obesity is already having on the NHS but it'll only increase through heart issues and diabetes etc.

Finally. I reeeally do get pissed off with this growing "celebrating curves" trend where companies are trying to pander to fat women so they'll buy into their product. Magazines crowing about putting a 'larger lady' on the cover and then you have that tard Gok Wan making fat women comfortable and dressing to hide their bodies rather than educating and attempting to get them to live healthier lifestyles... There is a program on C4 on Wednesdays called Supersize vs Superskinny which is breaking the trend and trying to tackle both extremes. It's quite an interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Obesity costs the state half a billion a year they reckon. Drinking and smoking are in someway (not all) covered by taxes, obesity is not.

bonerm wrote: »
    Besides the obvious costs to the exchequer, smokers impact on society by spreading their disease via passive smoking. Drinkers likewise can cause harm by getting violent when drunk or even cause harm by drink-driving.

Fattys however are usually too tired and slow to do anything to you .... except maybe let off a vicious fart if you're unlucky to get trapped in a lift with one. Hense they are more socially acceptable.

That's all true but we still have to look at them... Give me passive smoke any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I picture everyone on here looking like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

orourkeda wrote: »
    Besides, poor lifestyle isn't always to blame for obesity. Sometimes it's beyond the persons control.

Its a very simple equation..Calories taken in exceeding calories used up=deposition of fat.
    If you dont eat more caloroes than your body uses you wont get fat,if you do..you will.

We have a tax on smoking and on alcohol because those things cost our healthcare system money. Lots of money..

So how do you tax food? You can't.

So what you now have is fat people costing our healthcare money and not contributing anything extra.

However on the thread topic - I would not consider being fat/ovese socially acceptable.

The difference here is that you cant give up eating. (Unless you plan on developing another eating disorder)

Smoking and alcohol consumption are habits. Eating is a necessity.

Elessar wrote: »
    Oh here we go.

Way to put words in my mouth. When did I say I would belittle a stranger on the street?

But yes, I do think I am better than obese people. Do you know why? Because I eat healthily and exercise regularly at the gym. I respect myself enough to look good, and not put my body under the multitude of stresses and problems that come with being inactive and overweight. It's not the extra flab that make obese people unappealing, it's their carelessness and lack of decency and respect to themselves.
    I bet you still say to yourself "jaysus look at that fat bítch/bastard over there." You may not walk up to them and say it to their face, I doubt you'd have the balls to TBH.

I wouldn't allow myself to associate with such small minded people thinking they're better than somoene just because they look better in a physical nature. I'd rather be friends with a few fatties who know how to have the craic and don't belittle and begrudge people based on how they look.

Degsy wrote: »
    Its a very simple equation..Calories taken in exceeding calories used up=deposition of fat.
    If you dont eat more caloroes than your body uses you wont get fat,if you do..you will.

My point is that not everybody who is obese can attribute their obesity compltely to overeating. There are people who suffer from certain medical conditions that result in weight gain. It isnt always their fault.

Your point is like saying that everyone who drinks too much is an alcoholic. This isnt always the case either

You might aswell use the same logic on a meth addict. Do you think you're better than a druggie?
    If ya do, your a hypocrit and your point is moot.. If you don't, then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I know plenty of healthy chubby lads, not a bother on them.

I think though that when they get older their biggest problem is high blood pressure ( at least thats my narrow view of it at the moment ).

Some people I know actually do runs and marathons and they are quite the chubby people, and they never lose that much weight, some people are just created by the Lord to be plump and Jolly :D ( runs for cover)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

"jaysus look at that fat bítch/bastard over there."

I say that all the time to myself im not going to lie to you. I still have overweight friends. Just because I have an opinion doesnt make me narrow minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My point is that not everybody who is obese can attribute their obesity compltely to overeating. There are people who suffer from certain medical conditions that result in weight gain. It isnt always their fault.

This is a regular thing on AH it seems, defence of the some people.

Maybe it's not some people's fault. But I would argue that for most people it is their fault.

I know some people who claim it's genetic, yet none of their grand parents are even overweight.

I like big girls and all, but I really don't think that obesity should be tolerated at all.

You might aswell use the same logic on a meth addict. Do you think you're better than a druggie?
    If ya do, your a hypocrit and your point is moot.. If you don't, then fair enough.
    I don't look down upon anyone based on their lifestyle choices. If someone chooses to do drugs, no matter how soft or hard those drugs are, I simply don't associate myself with them because I don't like drugs. What they choose to put in to their bodies is their choice. Should they choose to ask for help in the future good on them. If not then fair enough, I'm not going to look down at them. It doesn't mean I am better than someone who uses drugs it just means that I'm not on the level with them and they wouldn't be my idea of good company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Theta wrote: »
    I say that all the time to myself im not going to lie to you. I still have overweight friends. Just because I have an opinion doesnt make me narrow minded.

it could make you narrow minded though should your opinion be proven wrong :pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭techdiver

I agree there can be medical conditions that contribute towards obesity, but that is in the minority of cases.

The simple fact is people get fat because of the fact that they take in more than they use.

I think the thread has been somewhat misinterpreted. I probably should have stated it more along the lines of why is it not acceptable to intervene when some one is clearly overweight/obese and damaging their health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

I'm fat and I couldn't give a flying f*ck what anyone thinks of my appearance anymore.

Does your partner, parents or children care about your appearance and most of all your health.
    Besides, poor lifestyle isn't always to blame for obesity. Sometimes it's beyond the persons control
    There is a little gap below the nose and above the chin that if controlled can reduce the amount of food taken.
    I have seen fat people with fat children who see nothing wrong in buying them rubbish food for them.I dont care if they dont care about themselves, but to encourage their children to do the same is ignorant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Your point is like saying that everyone who drinks too much is an alcoholic. This isnt always the case either

No my point is that everybody who's an alcoholic drinks too much,everybody who's fat eats too much...its reallly very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Kiera wrote: »
    Nope no way near it

Pity. I like a big girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Where as with someone who is overweight, it can be for a number of reasons, not just over eating.
    It has everything to do with over eating unless they have a genuine medical condition.

So basically.......that's just what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

bonerm wrote: »
    Pity. I like a big girl.
    I'm taken anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

I think my post on page 2 basically sums everything up and there is no need for further discussion on the matter :DOrourkeda you make a good point and in all fairness Degsy - you are misinformed on the matter altogether. Don't mean to be rude but it is a fact like ;)

Theta wrote: »
    If your opinion is impacting negatively then it's best kept to yourself. You say you have friends who would be overweight? Were they overweight when you 1st befriended them or have they just gone that way over time? If they were overweight when you first became friends then why do you look down on others who are overweight? If they just happened to gain weight over time why do you look down upon people who are overweight? They could have had a normal weight at one point too, you know. Or does the fact that they're now overweight change who they are and you've decided to take an immediate dislike to them before even getting to know them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I bet you still say to yourself "jaysus look at that fat bítch/bastard over there." You may not walk up to them and say it to their face, I doubt you'd have the balls to TBH.

I wouldn't allow myself to associate with such small minded people thinking they're better than somoene just because they look better in a physical nature. I'd rather be friends with a few fatties who know how to have the craic and don't belittle and begrudge people based on how they look.

More words in my mouth. I would never disrespect someone to their face. In my mind, it's more like "My god, has this person no respect for themselves?!"

I know how to have the craic. What on earth made you think I didn't? More words in my mouth. Oh, and I can guarantee any "fattie" friends you might have are not un-judgemental to people they may see in daily life. What about that guy who sits beside them in work who never uses deodorant and stinks to high heaven? Is it small minded to think they disrespecting themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Kiera wrote: »
    I doubt these people that have such strong opinions on the internet would ever dream of saying all this to a fat persons face :)
    I wouldn't say it to a fat person's face in the middle of nothing. But if someone asks my opinion I give it. I wouldn't go out of my way to hurt them, but "Do I look fat in this?" gets my honest answer... Yes you do, you ****ing whale!

Advertisement