Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

techdiver wrote: »
    With the smoking ban and higher taxes on tobacco and alcohol, will it ever become acceptable to come out and say to someone who is obese that they are in fact fat and need to loose weight?

I don't think so, because while smoking and drinking are personal choices, a person's weight is a personal issue.

It's taboo to tell people they need to lose weight - or gain weight - because a person's body and weight are quite private matters, to most.
    I'd imagine that being told "you're fat and need to lose weight" is not only insensitive and cruel, it's also humilating.

If a person is overweight, it should be up to them to decided to lose weight, rather than up to other people. If they're happy and healthy, then what does it matter?

And if it's the case that they're not healthy, what does it matter anyway? They're not harming anyone but themselves and anyone with genuine concern would be more sensitive than to call them "fat" and tell them to lose weight. It's not always that simple.
    Elessar wrote: »
    I eat healthily and exercise regularly at the gym. I respect myself enough to look good, and not put my body under the multitude of stresses and problems that come with being inactive and overweight.

Being large does not always equate to being inactive or having a poor diet.
    There are plenty of reasons for a person to be overweight. And by the same token, a person who is very slender is not always so because they eat well and spend their lives on treadmills. A lot of it comes down to genetics and what sort of health a person is in (mental health issues, suffering from diseases and illnesses etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Degsy wrote: »
    Wonderfully put..fat people eat too much and dont burn it off...skinny people are the opposite.

Because of certain circumstances which I pointed out already some people are unable to burn off calories consumed or use food as an emotional crutch. I'm not going back and forth with this. I get your point. You get mine. Want a badge or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Yeah, I've been pondering this for quite some time myself, especially since the recent and continuing debate over drugs/legal highs. The vast majority of people we see wobbling around our streets weighing 3 times their recommended weight are that way because they eat and eat and eat, they find it hard to stop, but the underlying point is that they eat TOO MUCH. Just as when one sees someone staggering around the street plastered and covered in piss stains it's because they drank waaay too much. Every year 7000 people die in Ireland as a direct result of obesity related issues, that's a lot of people dying every year, going largely unknown (no pun intended). Yet cannabis is ILLEGAL, why ? I dunno, it doesn't kill anyone except the occasional gobs***e gang members shooting each other over their turf, in other words it's prohibited status, causes these deaths not the taking of the drug.
    I suspect the reason cannabis is kept illegal is because of some deeply rooted subconscious connection between cannabis and sex and fun and freedom, and some people just can't deal with the fact that some people have fun in a way they don't. The same could probably be said for unusual sexual practices, many are repulsed (think sex shops a few years ago). THe Uptights couldn't tolerate the idea that some people could enjoy something they mightn't, or might...
    The fact is a FAT person is far more likely to die from their overindulgence than occasional cannabis users. This fact alone proves how poxy our societies laws are.
    Maybe they should start turning fat people away from the doors of supermarkets, with the security man whispering to them that he thinks they've had enough.

The earth produces enough food every year to feed between 9 and 12 billion people, much of that is consumed by the top 2 billion the bottom 4.5 billion largely starve, a huge amount of the food produced is dumped in landfills in the west. I think about this regularly when I see some fat people wobbling around the shopping aisles. Everytime I see a fat person it reinforces how unfair society is. I don't have much sympathy for them in the present circumstances to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

If you want to outcast people who are overweight and smokers, where do you stop? Outcast people who bite their nails, who don't spell correctly, who don't go to college, who believe in a god, etc, etc. Sounds to me like some of you want a perfect society. Everyone is different and it will always be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

That's true, some of them could be in the middle of a genuine attempt to lose the weight with exercise and diet. But I would wager most of them are not.

And if the others don't enjoy it, why not change it?

Well I know people who seem to be happy with their weight and thankfully most of the people I know who are overweight aren't happy and do try,

I was a whopping 24 1/2 stone, down to 19 now, still obese but I'll get there, if I can get my act together,

got to laugh at the Brian O'Driscoll being obese, if he is we are all in trouble :D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Wonderfully put..fat people eat too much and dont burn it off...skinny people are the opposite.

If you want to go down this route Degsy, you have to think about that poem "First They Came..."

What happens after they ban all the fat people, smokers, drinkers etc and they go after people like you? You know, stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Smoking may causes cancer and large hospital bills later in life.

Obesity will cause problems, and you may not reach the "later" in life.
    Fuhrer wrote: »
    What happens after they ban all the fat people, smokers, drinkers etc and they go after people like you?
    Ah, aber schutzstaffel, ich bin nicht jüdisch fett...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Being large does not always equate to being inactive or having a poor diet.
    There are plenty of reasons for a person to be overweight. And by the same token, a person who is very slender is not always so because they eat well and spend their lives on treadmills. A lot of it comes down to genetics and what sort of health a person is in (mental health issues, suffering from diseases and illnesses etc)

You can put whatever spin on it you want, but the basic fact of the matter is - if you take in more than you burn you will gain weight (and be weight I mean fat cells).

Every other excuse I have heard is a cop out. There will always be a small percentage of people with genuine medical or psychological issues, maybe food addiction, or acute depression. But, since the vast majority of people will not have acute problems, it stands to reason that they are inactive and eating poorly. And they are overweight because they continue to do it and do not care about their health or appearance. In effect, they are lazy.

I was slightly overweight once. Not fat, but chubby. I didn't actually realise it until family and friends started mentioning it. At first I didn't care, but one day I looked at my beer belly, and being 23 at the time, it suddenly shocked me. I looked in the mirror and saw I was getting fat. I needed to change, for my own health and well-being, as well as my appearance.

So I joined a gym and worked my ass off, often doing 4 days a week, religiously. I cut out all the fatty food I was eating and started taking in more healthy stuff. In the space of 3 months I lost a lot of weight and got back to my normal self. I realised what I was doing before and vowed to never get so lazy and disrespectful to myself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

You can put whatever spin on it you want, but the basic fact of the matter is - if you take in more than you burn you will gain weight (and be weight I mean fat cells).

Every other excuse I have heard is a cop out. There will always be a small percentage of people with genuine medical or psychological issues, maybe food addiction, or acute depression. But, since the vast majority of people will not have acute problems, it stands to reason that they are inactive and eating poorly. And they are overweight because they continue to do it and do not care about their health or appearance.

exactly!

even people with a dependancy on food (who I DO feel sympathy for) are over weight because of excess calorie consumption....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and for a good while had a bit of a gut on me. I still weigh the same and don't exactly have a six pack but my belly doesn't distend anymore. Of 2 friends who were in the same position at the same time with similar lifestyles one is now closer to 300lbs and is very unhealthy. This, I would think, is the most common case. People who had/have a choice in where they can go and choose not to exercise, to keep eating take out and just buy bigger clothes I do respect people less that choose to ignore the healthy option in favour of comfort and less work.
    An obese person in a club is going to be sniggered at.

I didagree, whenever I see an overweight person I think fair play to him for wanting to do something about it. If I see a really obese person I respect him because I am sure it gets harder to motivate yourself the bigger you get. But it was still themselves that got them into the situation in the first place.
    prinz wrote: »
    What is the dividing line when it comes to obesity? How is it calculated etc?

I doubt many people here would have the stones to call Brian O'Driscoll socially unacceptable for being obese, but at 5'10 and 210 lbs technically.......

I don't think the BMI scale is a great way to judge. It doesn't take into account body types. I am 6'1" but i'm not lanky, so i'm in the over weight category. I am still relatively healthy. I exercise frequently and don't over eat. It's an ok guideline and I could do with losing a few lbs but it's not an exact scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I just think the language here is all wrong. Unless something has changed in this country radically in the last hour smoking and drinking are socially acceptable. We can drink in pubs and in our homes and as long as we don't misbehave noone bats an eyelid. We can't smoke in public places anymore but I have never seen anyone attacked on the street for smoking. However, I have seen obese men and women physically and psychologically abused in shops, pubs and on the street so if anything obesity is the least socially acceptable of the three.

If a friend of mine was fat I wouldn't sit them down and say you need to go on a diet; but if they moaned about their weight then I would say 'then why don't you do something about it'. The trick is to advise people not lecture them, I should know.

So no I don't really think obese people should be treated like they are disabled as if they can't do anything about their weight but I don't think they should be marginalised either. How exactly would that help the situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

corkcomp wrote: »
    exactly!

even people with a dependancy on food (who I DO feel sympathy for) are over weight because of excess calorie consumption....

Is not everyone dependant on food?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fuhrer wrote: »
    If you want to go down this route Degsy, you have to think about that poem "First They Came..."

What happens after they ban all the fat people, smokers, drinkers etc and they go after people like you? You know, stupid people.

On the subject of food..i dont feel like feeding the trolls today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

All this talk about fat people is making me hungry.

ocokev wrote: »
    Is not everyone dependant on food?

I feel sympathy for those poor bastards who are dependant on water

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ayankabroad

Just thought I will throw my 2 cents into the fray. I have historically been someone who is obese. I avoided photos and situations where I would see myself (videos etc.) and was always told the traditional things such as you carry it well ect.

About a year ago I saw a pricture of myself from a christmas party and could not believe my eyes. I was standing there weighing 18 st and no idea how I had gotten to that stage. I am know about 13 1/2 stone and feel much better about myself and carry a much better opinion of myself now that I am a bit more disciplined about the way I live my life.

When I look back at things the people around me never said anything in deference to my feelings but in hindsight they were not doing me any favours.

Denial is a very strong and dangerous defense mechanism and can allow an individual to fom a completely false self image. I am not saying that people should be pointing to people on the street but if there is someone in your life that matters make the decsion to be honest and supportive. If they make the decision to keep going than so be it at least you have offered you support and not enabled the cycle of denial to keep them going in the way that they are claiming ignorance of the problem.

Just my opinion based on my own experience

On the subject of food..i dont feel like feeding the trolls today.

Ah, so you'll be ignoring your own posts then?

Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I hope we move to a private healthcare system like in the USA soon. I no longer want to subsidise some fat lazy slob who won't even look after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

All this talk about fat people is making me hungry.

So you DO like Fat Chicks afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OutlawPete wrote: »
    So you DO like Fat Chicks afterall.

With nice cans. Or can.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

mgmt wrote: »
    I hope we move to a private healthcare system like in the USA soon. I no longer want to subsidise some fat lazy slob who won't even look after themselves.

They dont mind paying for it.
    The fat slobs in america will send thier kids for gastric band surgery rather than cook them better food.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭McCruiskeen

Vat is generally applied on discretionary foods (e.g chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks) at 21% anyway, whereas it is applied at 0% on more basic foods. So unhealthy food is taxed at a greater level that healthy foods in a similar manner to cigs and booze.

I think the OP is just being mean. Obese people are aware of this issues surrounding obesity and most take measures to mitigate it. Although a lot of overweight people could try harder, I'm sure most people could try harder at drinking less, smoking less etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

But yes, I do think I am better than obese people. Do you know why? Because I eat healthily and exercise regularly at the gym. I respect myself enough to look good, and not put my body under the multitude of stresses and problems that come with being inactive and overweight. It's not the extra flab that make obese people unappealing, it's their carelessness and lack of decency and respect to themselves.

http://www.goteenforums.com/forums/img.cgi?i=36750

Are you for real?

You would think that you're better than someone who was obese? Regardless of what sort of person they were, what contribution to society they make (although, I would wager you're an enormously charitable and socially responsible person), what sort of lives they lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The earth produces enough food every year to feed between 9 and 12 billion people, much of that is consumed by the top 2 billion the bottom 4.5 billion largely starve, a huge amount of the food produced is dumped in landfills in the west.

Wasn't going to bother posting, but this got my attention.
    My city born housemates seem to have no problem piling their plates a foot high, nibbling a bit, and dumping the rest into the bin.
    This pi55es me off, I think I have more of a problem with this kind of waste than someone who serves up the same amount and actually eats it.

Food is highly addictive, we aren't designed for conditions where food is plentiful. It takes control that some people don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Using B'OD as an example of an overweight person is ludicrous: he is on a specific high carbohydrate diet that he needs as a sportsman which he burns off rapidly. I saw a program about swimmer Michael Phelps- he consumes 8000 calories daily, about 3 times the average. But he burns it off. Thats the difference.
    Some of the fatties on here are in denial big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

NothingMan wrote: »
    I picture everyone on here looking like this.

not far from the truth, except i have a full head of hair :D and my room is not that clean

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Vat is generally applied on discretionary foods (e.g chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks) at 21% anyway, whereas it is applied at 0% on more basic foods. So unhealthy food is taxed at a greater level that healthy foods in a similar manner to cigs and booze.

Am I correct in asserting that cake is considered a basic food? Or is that story about Jaffa Cakes and their tax status an urban myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Be civil folks, please. Oh and Fuhrer banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In olden days when most people just about got by on a subsistance diet, the wealthy would flaunt their well being by putting on weight. I think some people still have this in the back of their minds - "look I'm not a weedy scanger!" Ironicly they are the same people who throw the most food away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

techdiver wrote: »
    As the title says.

Society makes a big deal of advertising the dangers of smoking and alcohol abuse.

With the smoking ban and higher taxes on tobacco and alcohol, will it ever become acceptable to come out and say to someone who is obese that they are in fact fat and need to loose weight? I have read many articles etc that claim that obesity is set to move to top spot in the scale of biggest risk to health and the leading cause of death.

It is acceptable to tell some one to cut down on the smoking and drinking but not the eating....

Any thoughts?

Can say the same on the opposite end of the scale. Why is being super thin socially acceptable? Thtas just as bad being obese. Just cos dumb bints who follow what others say to make money out of them tell them to be like that, doesn't mean it should be replicated.

Advertisement