Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

As the title says.

Society makes a big deal of advertising the dangers of smoking and alcohol abuse.

With the smoking ban and higher taxes on tobacco and alcohol, will it ever become acceptable to come out and say to someone who is obese that they are in fact fat and need to loose weight? I have read many articles etc that claim that obesity is set to move to top spot in the scale of biggest risk to health and the leading cause of death.

It is acceptable to tell some one to cut down on the smoking and drinking but not the eating....

Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

People are getting fatter and fatter and the media is pandering to this (women's magazines celebrating "curvy" (fat) figures, the "size zero" debate, doves ad campaigns) because they realise their target audience doesn't want to be told they're making unhealthy decisions or that they should have to change. Everyone is constantly told they're great and special so we end up a nation of gluttons with inflated perceptions of our self-worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

If they started campaigning for it you'd complain they're wasting the tax payers money..

Anyway, smoking and alcohol are addictive. Eating is a neccesity, just don't over do it. It's common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Why shouldn't it be socially acceptable? Just because someone is overweight it doesn't mean they should be out cast from society and looked down upon in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Bonito wrote: »
    Why shouldn't it be socially acceptable? Just because someone is overweight it doesn't mean they should be out cast from society and looked down upon in any way.

It does, very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Sykk wrote: »
    If they started campaigning for it you'd complain they're wasting the tax payers money..

Anyway, smoking and alcohol are addictive. Eating is a neccesity, just don't over do it. It's common sense.

Some fat people will play the victim card and say its the foods fault for being so addictive.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    It does, very much so.
    So just because someone is overweight you think you're better than them and have a god given right to look down at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

They're really big and fat, do you want to tell them? You'll just get eaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Exactly. Smoking and drinking too much is something that is obviously harming a person and they know it, so saying it to them isn't going to insult them. You're more likely to get "blah blah, yeah I know"

Where as with someone who is overweight, it can be for a number of reasons, not just over eating. So they're probably already very self-conscious about it, and having some tactless know-it-all pointing it out to them would only serve to hurt their feelings and possibly cause more problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So just because someone is overweight you think you're better than them and have a god given right to look down at them?

Yes,because they're fat of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

What about the super-skinny? half of them are dyin and nobody seems to focus on them. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

What about the super-skinny? half of them are dyin and nobody seems to focus on them. :confused:

I agree. This size zero thing should be frowned upon.

Because looking like a clotheshorse tightly wrapped in a sheet is hawwwt, apparently:rolleyes:

Vice-versa situation. Just because someone has flaws in their physical appearance it doesn't give anyone the right to belittle them because of it.

If people want help it's very easily found. They have to want to help themselves, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Besides the obvious costs to the exchequer, smokers impact on society by spreading their disease via passive smoking. Drinkers likewise can cause harm by getting violent when drunk or even cause harm by drink-driving.

Fattys however are usually too tired and slow to do anything to you .... except maybe let off a vicious fart if you're unlucky to get trapped in a lift with one. Hense they are more socially acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Absolutely. Obese people are lazy and overeat. Every other excuse is smoke and mirrors. They are the cause of their problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Did you know that its actually illegal to sell alcohol to a person who's visibly intoxicated?
    Likewise it should be illegal to sell food to a fat person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's just more of me to go around ladies

*jiggles blubber sexily*

Vice-versa situation. Just because someone has flaws in their physical appearance it doesn't give anyone the right to belittle them because of it.

If people want help it's very easily found. They have to want to help themselves, though.

Not trying to belittle anyone and certainly dont agree with it either, but there is a huge difference in belittling someone and explaining to them they need help.

I'm always seeing these fat programs on the tele for losing weight and not once did I ever see a t.v program of someone needing to put it on.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

bonerm wrote: »
    Fattys however are usually too tired and slow to do anything to you .... except maybe let off a vicious fart if you're unlucky to get trapped in a lift with one. Hense they are more socially acceptable.
    That is a load of bollox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

At last a thread I can sink my teeth into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Kiera wrote: »
    That is a load of bollox!
    I take it ur 19 stone? :P

Not trying to belittle anyone and certainly dont agree with it either, but there is a huge difference in belittling someone and explaining to them they need help.

I'm always seeing these fat programs on the tele for losing weight and not once did I ever see a t.v program of someone needing to put it on.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3
    Oh really? Isnt there one on Channel 4 that tries to make a fat person lose weight and a rake gain some?

Elessar wrote: »
    Absolutely. Obese people are lazy and overeat. Every other excuse is smoke and mirrors. They are the cause of their problem.
    I've never heard such tripe. Whatever amount someone chooses to eat and what their lifestyle choices are is none of your business and you'd have to have a pretty sad life to belittle an obese stranger that you pass in the street. Thinking you're better than someone just because they weigh more than you? That's petty and ridiculous.

Sykk wrote: »
    I take it ur 19 stone? :P
    Nope no way near it but i'm not a size 10 either ;)

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Supersize Vs Superskinny is always on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Oh really? Isnt there one on Channel 4 that tries to make a fat person lose weight and a rake gain some?

Supersize Vs Superskinny!! Not sure I agree with their methods though!!

EDIT: Ah crap to late! :(

Super size V Super Skinny? Again these are people who have asked for help with their weight/physical appearance. Some people are happy being overweight. I'm sure they've happier lives than the bitter small minded folk that think they've a right to snarl down their nose at them just because they happen to weigh more than them.

*typing from his cave* there is? :confused: well if there is then its just one program that trys to create a balance, there are plenty of programs out there that just focus on the overweight and couldnt care less about making programs that focus only on the skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Yes! To put it simply. There should be penalties for this just as there are for smoking and alcohol in the form of high taxes on high fat etc. but the campaign as a whole needs a lot of consideration first.

There was a meeting of After Hours on the 17th of this month and the first reply to the info about times, dates and location of the meeting was by an AH mod who wrote 3 words - in capital letters - NO FAT CHICKS. There absolutely needs to be more done in making people aware of the risks associated with high fat in our diets but the problem is that while you can say that smoking smells disgusting and damages our health there is a fine line when discussing someone's weight or personal appearance. As impatient as we might be about it and we'd rather take the overweight people by the shoulders and give them a good shake the truth is that it has to be dealt with delicately. If not then what is the difference in bullying?

Take this for an example .... If there is a poster beside a bus stop, a huge billboard, with a picture of a horrible side effect from smoking such as discoloured finger nails or teeth the smoker standing there can act as disgusted at the poster as any other on looker because they can hide that they in fact are actually a smoker. They can close their mouth or put their hands in their pockets. If a similar poster is put up of an obese person and an obese person is standing there among the crowd of onlookers they can't temporarily shrink to avoid the desperate embarrassment they are feeling in that moment. It is humiliating for them. Therefore the problem can not be dealt with in the same way as smoking or alcohol.

People by nature can be cruel and some have a great knack of demeaning another person if they are any way inferior to themselves. It is a tough one to tackle and the right approach needs to be considered carefully.

It has been proven that obese/overweight people are that way for reasons other than being greedy fat pigs!! Depression, loneliness, addiction, physical disability etc. etc. So to bandy around an idea for this is only touching on a far greater and bigger scale problem. There are a lot of things to consider before you can rid the world of fatties. :) Have a nice day.

• Advertisement

Super size V Super Skinny? Again these are people who have asked for help with their weight/physical appearance. Some people are happy being overweight. I'm sure they've happier lives than the bitter small minded folk that think they've a right to snarl down their nose at them just because they happen to weigh more than them.
    I doubt these people that have such strong opinions on the internet would ever dream of saying all this to a fat persons face :)

Advertisement