Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So basically.......that's just what I said.

Your post, to me indicated you were de-emphasising over eating in favour of other reasons. Apologies if not the case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Obesity= mental illness/physical medical problem

Fat = I like me food but I can still run faster than you.

In between = I'm just not that bothered about it all, but I wont say no to a big spud dinner

skinny = I do a lot of excercise and sport

super skinny = mental/physical condition and oh I'm also a big fan of the Look! magazine

I think that about sums it up :confused:

Bonito wrote: »
    I don't look down upon anyone based on their lifestyle choices. If someone chooses to do drugs, no matter how soft or hard those drugs are, I simply don't associate myself with them because I don't like drugs. What they choose to put in to their bodies is their choice. Should they choose to ask for help in the future good on them. If not then fair enough, I'm not going to look down at them. It doesn't mean I am better than someone who uses drugs it just means that I'm not on the level with them and they wouldn't be my idea of good company.

Good answer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm taken anyway :P

What a shame! Never mind, I don't even have my own forklift anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Theta wrote: »
    Obesity costs the state half a billion a year they reckon. Drinking and smoking are in someway (not all) covered by taxes, obesity is not.

Apart from the obvious medical problems that are associated with all three, I would venture that alcohol abuse and smoking have more anti-social side effects than obesity.

Obesity is becoming something of an epidemic. There's no doubt about that.

However, there 's no such thing as passive obesity. It doesnt affect everyone in the immediate vicinity of an overweight person the same way passive smoking does.

Anyone ever killed by fat driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Elessar wrote: »

But yes, I do think I am better than obese people. Do you know why? Because I eat healthily and exercise regularly at the gym. I respect myself enough to look good, and not put my body under the multitude of stresses and problems that come with being inactive and overweight. It's not the extra flab that make obese people unappealing, it's their carelessness and lack of decency and respect to themselves.

What a cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Your post, to me indicated you were de-emphasising over eating in favour of other reasons. Apologies if not the case :)

Not at all:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Degsy - you are misinformed on the matter altogether. Don't mean to be rude but it is a fact like ;)

Really?
    Tell me why people who are starved of food dont remain fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

More words in my mouth. I would never disrespect someone to their face. In my mind, it's more like "My god, has this person no respect for themselves?!"

I know how to have the craic. What on earth made you think I didn't? More words in my mouth. Oh, and I can guarantee any "fattie" friends you might have are not un-judgemental to people they may see in daily life. What about that guy who sits beside them in work who never uses deodorant and stinks to high heaven? Is it small minded to think they disrespecting themselves?
    Read my post again. I said in my post you'd never walk up and say it to them but it doesn't stop you thinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sykk wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it to a fat person's face in the middle of nothing. But if someone asks my opinion I give it. I wouldn't go out of my way to hurt them, but "Do I look fat in this?" gets my honest answer... Yes you do, you ****ing whale!

I imagine from this answer that you are the perfect physical specimen. You need to be to be speaking like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

For me its the really fat or obese people that I look at and think WTF are you up to? If its medical condition then granted, be fat, you cant really help it but if you are healthy, relatively speaking, you should not be obese.

The hardest thing to do when loosing weight or quitting drink or giving up smoking is will power, and if your obese and dont have a reason to be all yourd oing is advertising that you dont have the will power to cut the crap food out of your diet and do a bit of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

If your opinion is impacting negatively then it's best kept to yourself. You say you have friends who would be overweight? Were they overweight when you 1st befriended them or have they just gone that way over time? If they were overweight when you first became friends then why do you look down on others who are overweight? If they just happened to gain weight over time why do you look down upon people who are overweight? They could have had a normal weight at one point too, you know. Or does the fact that they're now overweight change who they are and you've decided to take an immediate dislike to them before even getting to know them?

It is left to myself I said I say it to myself all the time when I see people on the street.

No they were overweight when I ment them. I still said in my head jaysus look at this fella but it doesnt mean I cant get on with people and like them for who they are. I just said I say to myself "How could someone let themselves go like that?" when I see people.

You seem to be the one who thinks if I have that opinion I run to the hills to avoid them.

You seem to be putting words in peoples mouths as a few of the other people have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a drawback of being such a damn good animal. We have starved and been on the brink of extinction in the past but we have extremely efficient bodies that don't waste energy and we're omnivores that have no natural predator. It would happen to any animal once they have everything in abundance. Don't worry give it 50 years tops and we'll be killing each other for scraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

orourkeda wrote: »
    I imagine from this answer that you are the perfect physical specimen. You need to be to be speaking like this.
    I'm not a perfect specimen. But I do martial arts and go to the gym 3 days a week. From someone who got kinda fat to getting back fit, I know what it's like not to be happy with my physical appearance. For someone to go past that stage knowing they're a fat pig and do nothing about it... Makes me kinda sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Read my post again. I said in my post you'd never walk up and say it to them but it doesn't stop you thinking it.

Read my post again and stop trying to squirm your way out. You are putting words in my mouth to support your argument.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's a drawback of being such a damn good animal. We have starved and been on the brink of extinction in the past but we have extremely efficient bodies that don't waste energy and we're omnivores that have no natural predator. It would happen to any animal once they have everything in abundance. Don't worry give it 50 years tops and we'll be killing each other for scraps.

50 years? I think you are being optimistic. If we last 20 i'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

How is it acceptable? Half the adds on TV seem to be about some low fat snack that will make you slim and there are a tonne of shows that pretend to be about the difficulties in been fat or about loosing weight but are in fact an excuse to point and laugh at fat people. An obese person in a club is going to be sniggered at and any remotely overweight celebrities are fair game for ridicule. I hate Vanessa Feltz as much as anyone but does EVERY joke have to be about her weight, its the least annoying thing about her.

Anyway, overweight does not necessarily mean unhealthy so should this thread be called "why is it acceptable to eat junk food and not go to the gym"?

For the record I'm as lanky as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Degsy wrote: »
    No my point is that everybody who's an alcoholic drinks too much,everybody who's fat eats too much...its reallly very simple.

Right

and just like how everyone who works in the Public Sector is a blood sucking parasite.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Degsy wrote: »
    Really?
    Tell me why people who are starved of food dont remain fat?

Because they are starved Degsy. We're not talking about famine conditions in this conversation so don't twist things to suit an invalid point you made. We're talking about obesity in a society where food and junk food are affordable and plentiful. **rolls eyes at time wasted giving response to this** I should start up a thread about what we could do with all the dumb people in the world - they make it sometimes unbearable for us intelligent people to live in!!! :D:D:D Sorry Degsy, that last line was just a joke that I couldn't resist - no offence lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What is the dividing line when it comes to obesity? How is it calculated etc?

I doubt many people here would have the stones to call Brian O'Driscoll socially unacceptable for being obese, but at 5'10 and 210 lbs technically.......

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Right

and just like how everyone who works in the Public Sector is a blood sucking parasite.

What the fcuck are you on about now?

prinz wrote: »

I doubt many people here would have the stones to call Brian O'Driscoll socially unacceptable for being obese, but at 5'10 and 210 lbs technically.......

Yeah but the chap has a % body fat of prob 5 - 10%.

Weight has little to do with it if you have lots of muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Absolutely. Obese people are lazy and overeat. Every other excuse is smoke and mirrors. They are the cause of their problem.

Not every overweight person you see on the street enjoys being that way,

and not all of them are lazy, you just can't label them all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

This is true. The traditional calculation for obese is completely flawed as it uses BMI, which is a load of balls as far as I'm concerned. Body Fat % should be the standard measure of obesity.

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Because they are starved Degsy. We're not talking about famine conditions in this conversation so don't twist things to suit an invalid point you made. We're talking about obesity in a society where food and junk food are affordable and plentiful. **rolls eyes at time wasted giving response to this** I should start up a thread about what we could do with all the dumb people in the world - they make it sometimes unbearable for us intelligent people to live in!!! :D:D:D Sorry Degsy, that last line was just a joke that I couldn't resist - no offence lol

Wonderfully put..fat people eat too much and dont burn it off...skinny people are the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Theta wrote: »
    Weight has little to do with it if you have lots of muscle.

Which is why I wondered what criteria would apply with people comparing taxes on cigarettes, alcohol.

As techdiver pointed out BMI seems to be the standard test atm. As for measuring body fat % I don't fancy getting a medical everytime I fancy a bigmac.

As for being socially acceptable I wouldn't look down my nose at anyone for being overweight. Nor would I feel inclined to go out of my way to accomodate them in any special way. The vast majority of people who are over weight know they're overweight. If I'm at work and someone is stuffing their face it's no skin off mine compared to someone next to me blowing smoke in my direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

It used to be BMI,basically your weight in Kg divided by your height in metres squared and if this was over 30 you were obese.But now this is being reconsidered because,like you said,it doesn't take into account people who have a very large muscle mass.Now body fat percentage or waistline is more often used since this gives a more accurate representation of the amount of fat you actually have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Cremated wrote: »
    Not every overweight person you see on the street enjoys being that way,

and not all of them are lazy, you just can't label them all the same...

That's true, some of them could be in the middle of a genuine attempt to lose the weight with exercise and diet. But I would wager most of them are not.

And if the others don't enjoy it, why not change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

this is one of the most ridiculous debates ive ever seen... Anyone who is fat DOES eat too much, it takes a surplus of energy / calories to spawn fat cells. the comment about the government makes no sense, different thing entirely. dont get me wrong, IMO there is nothing wrong with being fat, but lets not use silly excuses! the Brian O'Driscoll point is another no brainer, it is very obvious to even the untrained eye who is truly obese or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's perhaps complacency by some who are overweight themselves, but it sure don't seem as if obesity is socially acceptable.

Advertisement