Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Grand, so it wasn't just me. Thought I'd try it as it was €4 a bottle. Haven't had much luck with Shepard Neame stuff, have friends that go on about their stuff but its all a bit bland to me.

I like Bishops Finger but their other stuff is hit and miss. Was tempted to pick up a bottle of their stout in Aldi as well (€2 or so a bottle) but in the clear glass bottle it just doesn't look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I'm giving Against The Grain a miss this weekend so that I can go to the "Weekend of the Beer" festival in Brussels. I shall have to stop off in Kulminator in Antwerpen for a few aged Trappists tomorrow evening though!!

It's a tough life being a beer fan, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

dungarvin helvic was a nice but nothing compaired to my two current favs metalman and oharas ipa. that doesnt mean i wont be trying the rest of there range though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dungarvin helvic was a nice
    It's way way better on cask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

you know i trust you beernut but will have to find out for myself though ;)

i have heard rumors that the palace in temple bar have a cask pump now

I assure you it's not merely a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

had some Tuborg on cask last night at The Pig and Whistle in uptown Finglas, was amazing.

Had some Tuborg on cask last night
    :D Gravity or handpull?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

BeerNut wrote: »
    :D Gravity or handpull?

I insisted on a mixture of both methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Over the weekend I decided to try a few new ones for me....

Badger Sandford Flyer - meh, a bit too sweet & gingery for my liking. I don't mind some initial sweetness but there wasn't much hop on the finish to balance it.

Spitfire - perfectly decent, quite dry and hoppy. Don't think it'll replace Landlord or Bluebird as my preferred bottled bitter though.

Jever Pilsner - I love a cold, crisp & hoppy pils on a hot day and this didn't disappoint. Typical German bitterness, but also with something else on the palate that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I'll happily try it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

had a 5am saint on tap in the salthouse, very hoppy, i was surprised, wasnt so impressed after all the great revies i heard.
    i got to smell a empty sink the bismark. thats as close as ill ever get to tasting it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Erdinger. Lot's and Lots of it at Herbfest in the town of Erding in South East Germany.

Nuts so here's a picture of ONE of the tents. 3,000 people in this and 1,500+ in the Fischers Tent next door.

I'm still hungover and now have Laryngitis. :(

3f26f30c.jpg

All those people and only one of them has a beer :p

Is that a Maßkrug of weissbier? :eek:

We were mostly eating at the time but be assured there was a lot of beer. They were serving the Oktoberfest brew in the traditional 1 litre ceramics and the Shandy was served in the 1 ltr glass so you could see the difference. When the girl arrived to our tables holding 18 Ceramic beers it was a sight to behold.

EDIT As you can see the light is still shining through the top of the tent so it was early. The beer was flowing quite readily as the night went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Whitewater Brewery Copperhead- for a 3.7% beer it has plenty going on.

A dry bitter taste and a hint of hops.

Just to add that when the beer rises in temp. it gets more spicy.

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Pushed the boat out a bit on Friday night with the following:

SN Torpedo (draught) - hopfest, but I enjoyed it.

Mikkeller Not just another wit - exactly what it says on the tin, an unusual kind of beer (although I've only tasted 2 other wits to compare it to, one of them being Hoegaarden). There was some Wit-ness to it in the initial smell and taste but after that it got a bit strange. Strange, but enjoyable. I'm sure I made some insightful mental tasting notes on it, but they subsequently got blown away by the 2 heavyweights that were to follow...

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace - a saison, hazy with a decent head. Definite sweet and zesty Belgian character to it, found it very refreshing. My favourite of the night.

Brooklyn Black Ops - a massive beer, predictably. I'm a bit of a newbie to imperial stouts, but I preferred it to the paradox arran which I tried a while ago. Frothy espresso crema-type head which presists, nice and smooth feel. The bourbon barrel-aging definitely makes itself known too. It also seemed more balanced than my mate's Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout, which I found way too heavy on the coffee & chocolate nose and taste.

The sorachi and black ops understandably were shared (at £15 and £30 respectively) but, suffice to say, felt as rough as the proverbial's this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Had some beer from the renaissance brewing company and they were very good. They were
    Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - A nice malty flavour at the start followed by a bitter dark chocolate then hops finish. I only had the one bottle but would put it up with the likes of the Dark Arts.
    Elemental Porter - Similar to the stout but without the chocolate and with a bit more hops in the finish. It was also a bit more ale like in the finish, but still very tasty.
    Stonecutter Scotch Ale - Hints of caramel and malt, it was a very tasty ale.

I hope to make a quick trip to their brewery (or at least the bar beside that has them on tap) on my way past there in a few days to try some more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

matrim wrote: »
    Had some beer from the renaissance brewing company and they were very good. They were
    Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - A nice malty flavour at the start followed by a bitter dark chocolate then hops finish. I only had the one bottle but would put it up with the likes of the Dark Arts.
    Elemental Porter - Similar to the stout but without the chocolate and with a bit more hops in the finish. It was also a bit more ale like in the finish, but still very tasty.
    Stonecutter Scotch Ale - Hints of caramel and malt, it was a very tasty ale.

I hope to make a quick trip to their brewery (or at least the bar beside that has them on tap) on my way past there in a few days to try some more of them.

Where did you get the oatmeal stout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just tried the Smithwicks pale ale there. It's surprisingly tolerable. It actually tastes like an ale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Where did you get the oatmeal stout?

I'm currently in New Zealand so got it over here and don't know if it's available back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

matrim wrote: »
    I'm currently in New Zealand so got it over here and don't know if it's available back home.

Yeh Im having trouble getting one, Ive tried the Broughtons Oatmeal Stout, but want another taste of one, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sunburnt Irish red bottled.

Thought it was different to the draught version maybe a little more hoppy but I would need to taste the draught again to be sure(lol).

Anyway I liked it and felt it was a twist on the "Irish Red" beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If I had to drink Erdinger I'd be driven to the dry too!!
    (although their Ur Weiss is very good so they can brew nice stuff when they want to - must try their fest beer just to see...)

Anyhow.........
    Local off licence is finally getting their delivery of 2 pallets of Augustiner Oktoberfest beer so will be stocking up for christmas this evening!!

That is what I'm drinking this week!!

they can brew nice stuff when they want to
    Pikantus, their weizenbock, is the only one that's really impressed me, though I really like Fischer Helles as well.

Pikantus, their weizenbock, is the only one that's really impressed me, though I really like Fischer Helles as well.

I had a few Pikantus in Germany. Some ramblings about bringing in a limited amount of it. The Duty kills the importation of it because of its 7.6% ABV. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Friday I sampled the Smithwicks Pale Ale, nice but not the nicest Pale ale Ive tasted, went onto the bottled O'Haras Pale Ale later on in the night. Its nice to be buying locally produced pale ale I must say. Will invest in some bottles of Sierra Nevada though for the game tomorrow evening

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Yeh Im having trouble getting one, Ive tried the Broughtons Oatmeal Stout, but want another taste of one, thanks

I tried porridge oatmeal stout in the bar at the bottom of the Empire State Building. Absolutely beautiful stuff, have been looking for a similar oatmeal stout back in Ireland since but to no avail. I had O'Haras foreign extra stout last week, very nice I must say.

been looking for a similar oatmeal stout back in Ireland
    Dungarvan Brewing have done a Coffee and Oatmeal one for festivals but it's not in regular production.

• Advertisement

I heard that alright, I didn't get to sample it even though I live about 10 mins from the microbrewary :/ Still raging about that, hopefully will come across soon.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement