Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Personally I prefer Anchor's Liberty Ale and Sierra Nevada's Porter over the ones you've got, but that's not taking anything away from the Steam Beer and Stout, they're still great beers.
    The Porter seems to be a little easier to get so I picked up a bottle in Kilkenny a while back, it'll be interesting to see how it compares. And I'll make a note to try Liberty Ale next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was in Dublin today and decided to go home via Ranelaigh and call into Redmonds. Must say they have an amazing amount of beers in stock.
    I had a list of things in my head to look out for but on looking at the shelves I forgot most of it.:)

Anway picked up some Hoegaarden which I am really liking at the moment.

Got some 5am Saint, Galway Hooker, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 8 degrees Sunburnt Irish red.

That should keep me going for a bit..

Id say the last time I was in Redmonds was at least 10 years ago getting take away to head to a house party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Glebee wrote: »

Got some 5am Saint, Galway Hooker, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 8 degrees Sunburnt Irish red.

Well done on this lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

this week i was drinking a few different beers from the fyne ales brewery. very nice range

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Saruman wrote: »
    Where did you get those on tap?
    California. Here for a week of work. Going on the hunt for Pliny the Elder and some Stone IPA tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Ah Pliny the elder... the drink of the Gods...
    You heading up to the Russian River brewery? Or just looking wherever you are? The brewery is worth a trip for the sample tray alone. They do good food at the restaurant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've been spoilt for interesting and great beer this week.

Some highlights include:

A sip of Nøgne Ø #100 - this seemed every bit as good as every other Nøgne Ø I've tried.

Brewdog/Three Floyds' Bitch Please - I liked this as much as the previous time I had it - I, unlike others, find it to be really well made and the whisky aromas and flavours to be very subtle and well integrated.

Dogfish Head 120' IPA - I had great expectations for this beer and was not disappointed - sweeter than I expected but very hoppy and just beautifully made with a lovely warm alcohol glow.

Thanks to Ronan for the above.;)

Brewdog Abstrakt 06. Second time trying this and, unlike the last time, I loved it - shared after dinner rather than a bottle on my own after a long day. Beautiful, extreme beer.

Brewdog Tokyo*. I love this beer and it was well able to follow the Abstrakt.

There were a few other beers around those specials - all good: Hambleton Nightmare Stout, Leann Folláin, Hogs Back OTT, and a very nice German, expensive large bottle of bockbier, whose name I can't recall and a couple of pints of Friar Weiss.

I think that's most of them.
    All these beers were shared between 3 or 4 people.
    It's been a good week......so far:D

I have not bought beer (off license) since about May, well apart from a few here and there to do me if I am camping or staying away from home somewhere but I have not gone out and bought a bunch of new beers yet. That means I am way behind in trying Nøgne for instance.
    Damn holidays have wiped me out (and I have not even gone yet) so I will have to wait another month before I can buy more beer. Good thing I got all the free beer this summer to tie me over I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brewdog Hardcore IPA on tap in Mulligans. Wow !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Brewdog Hardcore IPA on tap in Mulligans. Wow !

Sweet, I must try get in for a pint. :)

I went down to the Hole in the Wall on Blackhorse avenue last night, they have Curim and Belfast Blonde on draught.
    I had a pint of each, and I can safely say I dont think they sell much of either. The pints weren't great at all, well the Curim wasnt too bad, but the Belfast Blonde was terrible.
    Quite a sour, soapy and slighly lemon taste off it.
    Couldn't actually finish the pint. I've had Belfast Blonde before, and I dont remember it ever tasting like that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just had my first taste of 5am Saint. What a fantastic beer. Was not what I was expecting at all. Would love to try this on draught. Is there much of a difference? My new favourite beer although this seem to change everyweek when I try more of these strange new beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alwayssunny

5am Saint = delish. :D My new favourite. I know Baggot Street Wines sell it and a number of the other bottled Brewdogs but anyone any idea if it's available on draught in Dublin? Love Brewdogs in general. I'm a sucker for their packaging/brand identity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thought id save a few shillings tonight so I picked up a few cans Blonderbrau at the offie. Its not too good im afraid :mad:, the radioactive orange colour of the can should have been warning enough for me.

5am Saint = delish. :D My new favourite. I know Baggot Street Wines sell it and a number of the other bottled Brewdogs but anyone any idea if it's available on draught in Dublin? Love Brewdogs in general. I'm a sucker for their packaging/brand identity too.
    AFAIK, Hollands in Bray is the only place stocking it on draught, and it's even better than it is from a bottle. Worth the trip.

Americans do many things poorly, but beer shops is largely not one of them. Stopped off in BevMo near Santano row, and the beer selection (US and import) is nothing short of superb. Picked up a few bottles for weekend consumption, and a few bottles to take home.

For home:
    Life and Limb (Sierra Nevada/Dogfish collaboration)
    Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
    Stone Ruination IPA
    Lost Abbey - The Angel's Share

For now:
    Stone IPA
    Prohibition Speakeasy 6 pack

Some of the take-home beers are at risk of not making the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

For home:

For now:
    Stone IPA
    Prohibition Speakeasy 6 pack

Prohibition Speakeasy I love. Some great beer choices you have. Enjoy it while you can

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Put em' in the trunk YOU!

It's a Federal Law!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd some Westmalle last night, tripel and dubbel, really enjoyed them. The tripel was my favourite of the 2 though I'm not usually into weiss beer which this certainly seemed to be? This is making me think there may have been something else going on in the bottle? Maybe it is just good at what it does. The aroma was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

AFAIK, Hollands in Bray is the only place stocking it on draught, and it's even better than it is from a bottle. Worth the trip.

L.Mulligans in Stoney Batter also have it. Not 100% sure if it's a regular thing but I've had it there the last 2 times I've been there. It's beautiful on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Glebee wrote: »
    Just had my first taste of 5am Saint. What a fantastic beer. Was not what I was expecting at all. Would love to try this on draught. Is there much of a difference? My new favourite beer although this seem to change everyweek when I try more of these strange new beers.

Had some on tap in Against the Grain on Wexford street last night. Lovely beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Had a Youngs Double Chocolate stout last night. Yeah a nice stout, lovely texture & smell. Almost excellent but not quite. Slightly underwhelming taste to be honest but still lovely stuff.

Life and Limb (Sierra Nevada/Dogfish collaboration)

That sounds too good to be true!!
    I'd some Westmalle last night, tripel and dubbel, really enjoyed them. The tripel was my favourite of the 2 though I'm not usually into weiss beer which this certainly seemed to be? This is making me think there may have been something else going on in the bottle? Maybe it is just good at what it does. The aroma was fantastic.

That might be explained by the fact that Westmalle Tripel isn't a weiss.
    Both seriously good beers.

That might be explained by the fact that Westmalle Tripel isn't a weiss.
    Both seriously good beers.

Very good indeed. No wheat at all in the tripel?

No wheat at all in the tripel?

I'm pretty sure there's not.
    (I'm sure I'll be very quickly corrected if I'm wrong).
    Is it the lack of filtration has you thinking that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just having a pint of Metalman on cask in the Porterhouse. Wasn't a huge fan of the regular draught version, but there's a lot more going on flavour wise with the cask. Biscuity malt sweetness, touch of fruity sourness all with a bitter edge. Very nice

Is it the lack of filtration has you thinking that way?

There was a weiss flavour on the finish for me, that and the colour had me wondering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There was a weiss flavour on the finish for me
    I'd say that's more likely to be from the yeast than the malt. Trappist ales and weissbiers both use high-ester yeasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hollows Ginger Beer. Devine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redwood1957

Most people in the US thinks its an import

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

6 X Porterhouse Oyster Stout
    2 X Spitfire Kentish Ale
    2 X Bishops Finger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement