Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Left Hand Brewery Black Jack porter is my new favourite porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think that the Pale Ale is second only to the Leann Follain, it's one of the best examples of a pale ale produced in Ireland for my money.

O'Hara's are introducing extra hopped variations of the aforementioned beers; keep your eye peeled for same :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The dry-hopped Leann Folláin was on at the festival last weekend. It was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BeerNut wrote: »
    The dry-hopped Leann Folláin was on at the festival last weekend. It was superb.

I was in W.J Kavanaghs at the weekend and they said they had a cask of it in the cellar but it wasn't on yet

The Brew Dock had a sign for it on cask too but when I asked they were either sold out or not started yet, the barman wasn't 100% clear.

When I was in Kavanaghs I had a couple of the Trouble Sabotage on Cask and a couple of the White Gypse Amber ale on cask. I actually found them surprisingly similar, both were ok with the Amber slightly nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Was there any more work on their limited edition ranges they were meant to be bringing out?

• Advertisement

There was a Double IPA too.

Black Sheep just put this up
    Our Brewer Chris will be with us this Thursday at 7pm to Launch his latest brew Voyager NZ with lots of free samples.also hang around afterwards for our comedy night "HaHa Black Sheep"

Seems to be an IPA made with NZ hops. Given that their last couple of beers have been good, this could be a nice step addition to the Irish IPA market. Probably won't be able to make it Thursday but might try to get in over the weekend to try some if they still have any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi folks,my local off licence doing a special on "Zahringer" German larger,anyone tried it or know what it's like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

delw wrote: »
    Hi folks,my local off licence doing a special on "Zahringer" German larger,anyone tried it or know what it's like?

I've never had it but I generally find ratebeer to be fairly reliable.
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/zahringer-german-beer-premium/173794/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

matrim wrote: »
    Black Sheep just put this up

Seems to be an IPA made with NZ hops. Given that their last couple of beers have been good, this could be a nice step addition to the Irish IPA market. Probably won't be able to make it Thursday but might try to get in over the weekend to try some if they still have any

lovely news ill be in there tomorrow myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I got a can of Philips ISA (India Session Ale) from work, seemingly a 5% hop bomb, can't wait to try it. Also got a can of 'Dude' and stubby bottle of 'Two Penny Porter' from Bad Attitude Brewing Co. of Switzerland. The beers are building up in the fridge I can't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I got a can of Philips ISA (India Session Ale) from work, seemingly a 5% hop bomb, can't wait to try it. Also got a can of 'Dude' and stubby bottle of 'Two Penny Porter' from Bad Attitude Brewing Co. of Switzerland. The beers are building up in the fridge I can't keep up.

Keep them in the garage, assuming you have one. Most beers are best drunk above fridge temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

RonanC wrote: »
    Heady Topper - number one rated beer on Beer Advocate right now. Brought a 4 pack home with me from Vermont.

nS0iwACl.jpg?1

What did you make of it? Is it hard to find in Vermont? Just curious, as there's a slim chance that I might get to visit there later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

What did you make of it? Is it hard to find in Vermont? Just curious, as there's a slim chance that I might get to visit there later in the year.

It's an incredible beer and unlike anything I've tried before. It was available in a number of bars and restaurants in Stowe and Waterbury and I bought the four pack from the brewery itself. Most bars were selling it for $8 a can and the four pack was $12.

There's a list of places selling it here:
    http://www.alchemistbeer.com/retail-availability/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Stone Vertical Epic 12:12:12

It's a spiced strong belgian, and it's pretty fantastic. Clovey, some cinnamon. Dangerously drinkable. The last of Stone's vertical epic range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Lucena wrote: »
    Keep them in the garage, assuming you have one. Most beers are best drunk above fridge temperature.

I don't have a garage, I have a balcony which is currently getting covered in snow, potentially hiding my beer from me :eek:

I've tasted enough craft beer to know I'll take most of mine from the fridge, I like that it warms and changes as your drinking it. I'll let a stout warm a little before cracking it but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Goose Island Christmas Ale. So tasty.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried 'Joker IPA' from Williams Brothers Brewery, thought it was delicious, will have to try others from the range.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sipping an O'Hara's IPA at the moment. In the Black Sheep last Friday, tried Dark Arts Porter, 8 Degrees Brewing Whiskey Aged Stout, Galway Bay IPA and their other ale, Punk on tap and Trouble Brewing's Or. I was a little bit tipsy leaving the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tried 'Joker IPA' from Williams Brothers Brewery, thought it was delicious, will have to try others from the range.

yeah they have some great beers, all across the spectrum.

My favourite is their big malty ale 80 Shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sipping an O'Hara's IPA at the moment. In the Black Sheep last Friday, tried Dark Arts Porter, 8 Degrees Brewing Whiskey Aged Stout, Galway Bay IPA and their other ale, Punk on tap and Trouble Brewing's Or. I was a little bit tipsy leaving the place.

Those type of places have that effect on me too. Don't want to leave, just want to stay trying something different every round.

What was 8 Degrees like? I had it at the IFSC but couldn't properly taste it from the plastic.

First impressions were that it had a much bigger whiskey hit than either the Franciscan Well Jameson Stout, or Ola Dubh - both of which are excellent beers. I'm not sure what % the Ola Dubh comes in at, but the Fran Well stuff is 10%, and at 7% the 8 Degrees stuff tasted much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

What was 8 Degrees like? I had it at the IFSC but couldn't properly taste it from the plastic.

First impressions were that it had a much bigger whiskey hit than either the Franciscan Well Jameson Stout, or Ola Dubh - both of which are excellent beers. I'm not sure what % the Ola Dubh comes in at, but the Fran Well stuff is 10%, and at 7% the 8 Degrees stuff tasted much higher.

They apparently aren't making it a permanent addition due to the fact that 25 year old whiskey barrels are hard to come by!:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was unimpressed by it but it could have been the plastic. Rather bland and Guinnessy.

Sounds like you were drinking it too cold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Sounds like you were drinking it too cold.

That's almost certainly true.

Was anyone at the Black Sheep for the Voyager launch last night? What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

matrim wrote: »
    Was anyone at the Black Sheep for the Voyager launch last night? What was it like?

Have they launched a new Voyager spacecraft that's carrying samples of irish craft beer now? :)

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I was unimpressed by it but it could have been the plastic. Rather bland and Guinnessy.

Yeah, down the IFSC that was, the previous poster had it in a pub and I was asking about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement