Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Had a bottle of Mikkeller's Beer Hop Breakfast.

Very, very nice indeed. The dry hopping adds another flavour component to an all ready gorgeous beer. At first, I thought it was a distraction from the coffee & oatmeal, but over the course of the bottle, it really worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Had 5 bottles of Greene King IPA last night. Only €1 in Tesco, a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

awec wrote: »
    Where do you buy them?
    buy pretty much all my beers in the local off license (Hollands Fine Wines in Bray), but brew dog is stocked pretty much in any decent off license, seen them in super quinn and redmonds of ranelagh. I'd imagine molloy's would stock them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭squonk

Sampled the Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal stout over the weekend. I tried it just after the Dungarvan regular stout and was initially disappointed but it turned into a very nice drinkable stout after a few more sips. I had a Leann Follain after that which blew any of the Dungarvan stuff out of the water but I do like the Coffee & Oatmeal all the same. I picked up a bottle of 8 degrees Winter's Ale as well. Quite nice even if it's getting on in the year now for such novelties but nice all the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Had some new fun beers last weekend
    • Brewdog's Jackhammer, a 200IBU beer. Was really looking forward to this, the smell was amazing, but the taste wasn't great. It reminded me of sour cream and onion pringles.
    • Libertine Black Ale, a pretty good black IPA. Not as good as Thornbridge's Raven, but a great addition if Brewdog were to keep it in their core range
    • Mikkeller's hop bomb challenge 2011. As you'd expect from a hoppy beer this old, flavour was dying. Would have loved to try this fresh as seemed like it would have been a very good DIPA. Was going to expire in May :(
    • Mikkeller Gypsy Tears, an ale aged in red wine barrels. One of the best beers I've ever had. I've tried a load of Brewdog's barrel aged beers, and they don't come close to this beer. Going to get this again if I see it, even though it was 12/13 euros for a 500ml bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Cant help think of Borat when I see Gypsy Tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

So, I'm off to Austria next week, would anyone be so kind as to recommend any decent local beers to try? I'll be staying in Mayrhofen in the west of Austria if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Almost feel of my barstool with surprise when I noticed some bottles of Dungarvans Helvick Gold and Copper Coast behind the bar in the local. Had a couple of Helvick Gold but was not that impressed at all. Maybe it was just me... A well its a start that hes stocking this I suppose.

Humming Ale - solid SanFran ale.

Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - excellent but due to being imported it's a little pricey considering when dungarvan is a viable option.

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale - dislike this on the nose, it's a party in the mouth and everyone is invited though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got a bottle of Aflligem Blond in Tesco.

It's alright. Might grow on me. Owned by Heineken, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Glebee wrote: »
    Almost feel of my barstool with surprise when I noticed some bottles of Dungarvans Helvick Gold and Copper Coast behind the bar in the local. Had a couple of Helvick Gold but was not that impressed at all. Maybe it was just me... A well its a start that hes stocking this I suppose.
    +1. Was in a small town near Midleton last night (Castlemartyr) and was surprised (and delighted) to find that Pat Short's bar had Dungarvan bottles (Helvick Gold and Backrock stout) and the nearby Hotel (Castlemartyr resort) stocked 8 Degrees brewing bottles. Now have to figure out how to submit them to the Beoir map. Sadly no Longueville Apple Brandy in the well-stocked hotel bar, but being so near to Midleton, very much a Jameson shop. Can't have everything your own way. It would be great though to see places like this taking on more locally produced products.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So, I'm off to Austria next week, would anyone be so kind as to recommend any decent local beers to try? I'll be staying in Mayrhofen in the west of Austria if that helps

I enjoyed Kaiser and Ottakringer when I was there. Schremser is nice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried Trouble Brewing's Sabotage IPA a few times over the last couple of weeks.
    I think this is the most disappointing beer I've tried in a long time. I love Dark Arts and thought their Troublemaker Galaxy and Saison were both excellent but what are they doing labelling Sabotage as an IPA? It would pass as a rather tasty Irish Red IMO. They already have Ór for the less adventurous, do they really need two bland beers in their portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tried Trouble Brewing's Sabotage IPA a few times over the last couple of weeks.
    I think this is the most disappointing beer I've tried in a long time. I love Dark Arts and thought their Troublemaker Galaxy and Saison were both excellent but what are they doing labelling Sabotage as an IPA? It would pass as a rather tasty Irish Red IMO. They already have Ór for the less adventurous, do they really need two bland beers in their portfolio?

Ohhh, controversial! Haven't tried it yet, but it's been getting good reviews so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ohhh, controversial! Haven't tried it yet, but it's been getting good reviews so far.

He's right in all but one thing, it's not fecking red, at least it hasn't been the 2 times I tried (glass on draught in ATG and from the cask in Galway Bierhaus), it's definitely pale...

It's a crap beer though, kinda sweet and grainy and practically no hop profile at all and nothing on the nose. Massively disappointing.

Seaneh wrote: »
    He's right in all but one thing, it's not fecking red, at least it hasn't been the 2 times I tried (glass on draught in ATG and from the cask in Galway Bierhaus), it's definitely pale...

It's a crap beer though, kinda sweet and grainy and practically no hop profile at all and nothing on the nose. Massively disappointing.

It looks pretty red to me!
    Yeah, how do you make a beer smell of nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Got a bottle of Aflligem Blond in Tesco.

It's alright. Might grow on me. Owned by Heineken, apparently.

It's an ok beer, not really a grower though. Try others.

According to this: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affligem_%28bi%C3%A8re%29
    it's been part of Heineken since 2000.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lucena wrote: »
    It's an ok beer, not really a grower though. Try others.

According to this: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affligem_%28bi%C3%A8re%29
    it's been part of Heineken since 2000.

Yeah, I did well to finish the bottle last night. Waiting on a delivery of a few nice bottles tomorrow or Thursday, so hopefully I'll do better with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Yeah, I did well to finish the bottle last night. Waiting on a delivery of a few nice bottles tomorrow or Thursday, so hopefully I'll do better with those.

What are you getting delivered?

drinking an anchor bock beer tonight.

not often that I'd throw a beer down the sink, but this is one of those times. Don't get me wrong it's a nice enough beer, but it's just not suited to my current palette.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It looks pretty red to me!

In fainess, I cant remember the draught 100% but the pint from. the cask was a kinda hazy yellow.

Yeah, how do you make a beer smell of nothing?

I've no idea. Ya'll have to ask Stephen that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I didn't think much of Ór but I still want to try Sabotage. I know it won't touch the Porter quality, but sure.

Lucena wrote: »
    What are you getting delivered?

One of each of the following:
    Straffe Hendrik Brugs Tripelbier 9 33cl
    Trappistes Rochefort 10 33cl
    Trappistes Rochefort 8 33cl
    La Trappe Quadrupel 75cl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Drinking a Nickel Brook Headstock IPA, a great 473ml can conditioned hop bomb. Not too bitter, plenty of malt and body and optional yeasty chunks. Tried to pinpoint the hop flavours, turns out it uses mostly nugget, one I'm fairly unfamiliar with, had to google a hop profile to try describe the flavour, it said its herbal and spicey although that dosnt really quite capture it for me. Great beer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finished off the Widmer Brothers collection with the Rotator IPA Series Falconer's IPA followed by the Nelson Imperial IPA. Both extremely tasty, and very drinkable despite their ABVs of 7% & 8.6% respectively. The Rotator reminded me of Goose Island IPA.

Quite impressed with all the beers that I tried from them. Kona brewery up next! :)

I really enjoyed the Widmer Bros. Brrr seasonal this week.
    Also really, really liked Silly Scotch - not quite as sweet as other Belgian Scotch ales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

slayerking wrote: »
    Carry out off licence in Ashtown also has Schlenkerla (the one linked to on Drinkstore website). It's probably the smokiest smoke beer of all! Good place to start!

Got some for tonight - looking forward to this. They also had another couple of beers from the same brewery which I was intrigued by, but passed on for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

2 weeks of beer hell are almost up and can only say try local brew house beers here in Seoul.
    So for having to do 2 weeks here I have now to fly to Belgium on Sunday for a week.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had a Spitfire for the first time in a couple of years last night.
    It used to be one of my original "go-to" beers when I switched away from the mainstream muck.
    I have to say, it's rotten. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I've got two of these for tomorrow night..

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/10672

and one of these

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/19960

I hope it's nasty, windy, rainy and cold out when I pop them open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement