Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DaDartle wrote: »
    I've got two of these for tomorrow night..

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/10672

Keep meaning to try this version. The Vanilla version of this is probably one of the nicest beers I've ever tried. Definite top 3. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Keep meaning to try this version. The Vanilla version of this is probably one of the nicest beers I've ever tried. Definite top 3. Amazing stuff.

Lucky you. I never had the opportunity. Where did you have it?

DaDartle wrote: »
    Lucky you. I never had the opportunity. Where did you have it?

Drinkstore had it for a long while. I just picked it up on a whim last summer and loved it. Got another bottle at Christmas for a treat from the OH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Last beer here and it's Suntory The Premium Malt's well it's another pretty plain beer.

Tastes slightly malty but then just nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Got a Brewdog Dead Pony Club and Nogne Two Captains to try this evening.
    I assume the Two Captains is their 100 renamed?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Heroditas wrote: »
    Got a Brewdog Dead Pony Club and Nogne Two Captains to try this evening.
    I assume the Two Captains is their 100 renamed?

Two captains was a beer they brewed with the winner of a home brew competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really enjoyed a Brewdog Libertine Black Ale last night.
    Nudging towards a Black IPA - very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Picked up a case of Weiheinstephaner Dunkel in Tesco Navan earlier.
    They are nearly out of date so only a euro each :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in Bray, popped into the Porterhouse.

Had two Plain and an Oyster Stout. Plain was it's usual good stuff - Oyster I haven't had in ages - kind of fennell, liquorice flavour off it. It's nice enough, but not too many.

Drinking a Magic Hat #9 now, decent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Franziskaner Weissbier

Slightly sweet and some people say it has hints of banana. Purchased it in O'Brien's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

My first dead pony tonight. Like getting hit with a hop hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Enjoying various different bottles of Schneider Weisse brews. Great brewery, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gone with an old friend tonight, Fullers Bengal Lancer. Its been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

continuing to work my way through Tesco's random €1 beers, I tried Greene King IPA Export last night. It doesn't really taste of much, not really comparable to other IPA's I've tried, wouldn't drink it again. It was in a clear bottle, I shoulda known...

Wednesday night I'd a few glasses of Anderson Valley Imperial IPA (bloody epic!) and Galway Bay's Burried at Sea (their best beer so far) in the salt house and they were both well enjoyed. Last night I'd a bottle of O'Hara's Pale Ale and a bottle of Dead Pony Club in The Townhouse, again, both lovely. I wish dead pony club was a bit cheaper though. It's a great session beer but it's bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had 2 bottles of Innis & Gunn last night, Blonde & Rum Finish, lovely beer, expensive enough so just as a treat every now and again ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finally tried Galway Bay Buried at Sea last night in ATG. Absolutely gorgeous, wouldn't have thought it was a milk stout though going by taste (well comparing it to Left Hand Milk Stout).

Had a few different Sierra Nevada beers as well, really is a fantastic brewery.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Saw a 6 pack of Bavaria for $14.99 in the offo last night, they do love a good import :D

Instead I went for a 6 of Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, haven't tasted it yet but should be good.

Edit: the stout was $13

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Saw a 6 pack of Bavaria for $14.99 in the offo last night, they do love a good import :D

It´s moderately respectable in a number of countries - Spain and Latvia come to mind.

Ravelleman wrote: »

It´s moderately respectable in a number of countries - Spain and Latvia come to mind.
    There's also a big PR push at the moment to sell it as a 'premium' brand. They sponsor a few sporting events, in particular the F1 street displays.

• Advertisement

Westmalle on tap in a very cold Brussels. No words are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Tried the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, nothing special but very good, smooth full mouthfeel, lots of roast and dry dusty grain, right up my street.

Picked up 3 'bombers' Granville Island Irish Red, more out of curiosity then anything else. I like seeing what brewers do with the style. Got 8 Wired's Tall Poppy Indian Red Ale and Moor's Illusion Black IPA. These 2 set me back a little more then I wanted to spend but I couldn't justify a cheaper purchase for something that hadn't caught my eye as these 2 had. The gf got a 4 pack of 5am saint, again hard to say no when it's so good.

I did have to talk myself out of a 4 pack of Porterhouse Oyster Stout which I couldn't believe was sitting there in a 'liquor store' in Calgary of all places. Nice to see though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

What's the consensus on 8 Wired Beers ? I saw their IPA the other day but got them confused with 8 Degrees so didn't end up getting it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Been a good few weeks for new beers. Have had the following this week
    • Mikkeller Grand Theft Orange, a quadruple aged in grand marnier barrels. If you liked Westerleven or those Abt/Belgian style beers then you will love this. I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't get it again
    • Mikkeller/Anchorage Farmhouse IPA. Firstly, a warning to anybody who buys this. There is a little black cover on top of the cork(like on the Abstrakt beers), when I took this off the cork actually shot out and hit the ceiling lightning fast(so close to losing an eye !). Lot of carbonation that needed to settle down, but this was one of the best beers I've ever had. An amazing lemongrass/mint/citrusy aroma/taste off it. They used the Brett yeast making this, thought I was getting some red wine barrel ageing(similar to Gypsy Tears) from it. Such a shame this is around 19 euros per bottle. Are there any other beers out there that use Brett?
    • Tuatara's Double trouble, a 167 IBU DIPA. Very tasty beer, but I've come to the conclusion that higher IBU doesn't necessarily mean better for any people who are mad into bitter/hoppy beers(like me). Was not as nice as Brewdog's Hardcore.
    • To Ol Redemptionbaer, have no idea what the story is with this beer. Tastes like a hybrid lager/IPA, drinkable but nothing particularly good to say about it. Haven't been impressed with To Ol.
    • Widmer Brothers Black IPA, smells amazing, tastes decent enough. It's not as nice as Brewdogs or Thornbridge's Black IPA.

Have to say, the Mikkeller Gypsy Tears and Farmhouse IPA would be in my Top 3 beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in Merchant's Arch on Monday afternoon, spotted the Carrig taps, and ordered one each of the lager and the red ale.

Lager is malty enough to be just about drinkable, and the red ale is very bland, bordering on Smithwick's territory really. There is also quite a chemically taste from both.

Won't be buying them again though, 5.40 for the ale and an absolutely scandalous 5.95 for the lager, I don't care where the premises is, these prices are ridiculous.

No beer for me for a few weeks :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Annoyed that I'll miss the craft beer village, was looking forward to trying a few of the specials and cask versions. Feck it, I'll just have to make the most of the next one!

La Chouffe and Ramee last night.

I really like Ramèe as it also brings back good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Impressed with Black Rock and Coffee and Oatmeal Stouts, I'm finally trying Dungarvan Helvick Blonde Ale. Meeeeh. I have Copper Coast to try too, I hope it's better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just had a bottle of 5 Lamps lager.

Love the label... lets leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a couple of Buried at Sea in The Black Sheep. Very tasty. I'll definitely be going back for more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement