Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-134 Endeavour

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CO19 wrote: »
    Will they take all the cockpit stuff out of the shuttle before sending it to the museum or leave it as it is with everything working ?

The Space Shuttle Main Engines are being stripped out of all the shuttles and being replaced with dummy ones because the next generation NASA launcher will most likely use the SSME in it's design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Space Shuttle Main Engines are being stripped out of all the shuttles and being replaced with dummy ones because the next generation NASA launcher will most likely use the SSME in it's design.

Hope they at least display one of them.

clln wrote: »
    I believe there was by you there,but this is a discussion board not twitter,one line posts except as a heads up of an imminent event or a joke serve no purpose'

Believe what you want, it was a simple question, no more no less.

The two Chris's have many contacts and insights it does not mean that Boards Posters are in any way less wise.

Didn't say they were. Was just curious as to how a small forum on the back of another forum trumps a dedicated forum with people who work in the industry updating every few minutes. Not an attack against boards, just a simple question (again). Was more curious as to what posts were being repeated on NSF from here. Would have been easier for you to answer than starting this.
    If You think NSF has a monopoly on all things space related beats me why you post here?

Because I want to.

Why are you trying to pick a fight? There's no grounds for one other than you taking me up wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Why are you trying to pick a fight? There's no grounds for one other than you taking me up wrong.

Honestly i thought you were being sarcastic and did take you up wrong so!
    i was referring to comments in the main by standard members of NSF,i just thought it was nice that some of them read here as we read them.
    i thought it no harm to mention NSF because it is such a great source for us and deserved a credit.
    besides don't you think the video is terrific?:)

clln wrote: »
    Honestly i thought you were being sarcastic and did take you up wrong so!
    i was referring to comments in the main by standard members of NSF,i just thought it was nice that some of them read here as we read them.
    i thought it no harm to mention NSF because it is such a great source for us and deserved a credit.
    besides don't you think the video is terrific?:)

I prefer here to be honest, a bit out of my depth sometimes on NSF. Nice bunch of people on it too.

Videos are always great.

• Advertisement

eilejh wrote: »
    Just an aside.......I received an e-mail this morning from Senator John Cornyn's (United States Senator from Texas) office.
    Drum Roll........hopefully of the Black Watch type.......
    I am offered 4 tickets to view Beloved Atlantis. Humbled, dazed and amazed I am.

Delighted for you, you'll have a great time.

One tip before you go booking flights, fly Southwest. Anyone I met that was flying internally booked with them, they have no extra fee to change flights, whereas Delta, Continental etc charge up to $200 to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

CO19 wrote: »
    Will they take all the cockpit stuff out of the shuttle before sending it to the museum or leave it as it is with everything working ?

This article will give you a good idea of what NASA will be doing to the Orbiters during the Transition and Retirement phase.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/science/space/02shuttle.html?_r=2

All five Orbiters that entered space have a dedicated poster to their memory at KSC,Endeavours has to be my favourite for its design and its description:
    483242main_2010-4454A_946.jpg
    This is a printable version of space shuttle Endeavour's orbiter tribute, or OV-105, which hangs in Firing Room 4 of the Launch Control Center at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. It features Endeavour soaring into orbit above the sailing vessel HMS Endeavour for which it was named. The Cupola, delivered to the International Space Station by Endeavour on STS-130, frames various images that represent the processing and execution of the Space Shuttle Program. Clockwise from top, are the first-ever use of a drag chute during the STS-49 landing, rollout to a launch pad, a ferry flight return to Kennedy, rolling into an orbiter processing facility, docking to the International Space Station, and lifting operations before being mated to an external fuel tank and solid rocket boosters in the Vehicle Assembly Building. The background image was captured by the Hubble Space Telescope and signifies the first shuttle servicing mission, which was performed by Endeavour's STS-61 crew.

Crew-designed patches from Endeavour's maiden voyage through its final mission are shown ascending toward the stars. Five orbiter tributes are on display in the firing room, representing Atlantis, Challenger, Columbia, Endeavour and Discovery.

Downloadable at the following in the size's that suits your computer.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/multimedia/endeavour/gallery-index.html

Endeavours is number three.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

That looks a bit tasty doesn't it? Nice find Clln.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Another terrific six minute Endeavour tribute video uploaded to Youtube only last Friday,although a company gets the credit it is all the work of one guy.
    considering the hours and hours of footage he had to sift through he gets it just right and the sountrack is equally excellant!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

While not strictly STS-134 related the shuttles get a very prominent cameo in Transformers 3.

Discovery is used in the film and NASA are plastered all over it!!

Though it was great to see the shuttles get some well deserved recognition and go out in a blaze of glory :D

Advertisement