Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-134 Endeavour

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

This flight has just passed so quickly, they are now in the final days of the mission. Undocking is due at 04:53 Monday morning May 30th, followed by the flyaround of the ISS. Landing at KSC due on Wednesday morning June 1st at 07:32 Irish time. looks like an early start on Wednesday:)
    iss027e035698.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm in work for 08.00 on Wednesday. Think i'll head in early and see if i can catch it on Sky News provided they show it. Not missing it for anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm in work for 08.00 on Wednesday. Think i'll head in early and see if i can catch it on Sky News provided they show it. Not missing it for anything.
    I'm in at 14:30 but will get my ass out of the bed for about 6 to catch the deorbit burn and landing.
    Only hope the times work out for the 135 flight. I don't want to miss any of that. Fingers crossed:)

Beeker wrote: »
    I'm in at 14:30 but will get my ass out of the bed for about 6 to catch the deorbit burn and landing.
    Only hope the times work out for the 135 flight. I don't want to miss any of that. Fingers crossed:)

Think i might break a leg or something that'll let me off work for a couple of weeks in July.:D

Think i might break a leg or something that'll let me off work for a couple of weeks in July.:D
    Sounds like my plan:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Think i might break a leg or something

Tim Kopra tried that did'nt he?did'nt go to plan for him though!:p

clln wrote: »
    :eek::D:D:D

clln wrote: »

He still got to watch!:p

Nice photo!:)index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25270.0;attach=300088;image

Some incredible phots from the last spacewalk. I love it!!!!!:)
    60225860mrd.jpg
    64039883.jpg
    36759775.jpg
    29308117.jpg

• Advertisement

50247365.jpg
    28205899.jpg
    66565733.jpg
    26915281.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Nasa is playing a sort of Endeavour tribute video on their website now. Very emotional stuff.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Anyone have an idea how much longer we must wait to see the epic fly around photos. Suspense is starting to get to me :D

Had a quick check on Saturdays events after my 2011 one day holiday at Slane!:)
    Savage,Awesome,beautiful video below;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

clln, thats the video i was watching. Heart wrenching.

shedweller wrote: »
    clln, thats the video i was watching. Heart wrenching.

It is So beautiful as well as heart wrenching shedweller!:)

Hatches were closed and locked earlier. Endeavour will undock from the ISS tomorrow morning at 04.53 and begin readying herself for her final journey home.

On the Ascent highlights,they've gotten better and better as the programme draws to a close. NASA should really push them to mainstream media outlets and not just stick them up on Youtube were they get lost in a sea of mediocrity. Ascent highlights may get a few thousand views whilst some cat screeching to the latest justin bieber song gets millions.

The general public love flash,glossy stuff. Show that ascent video on sky news for example and you'd get a whole lot more people gushing about it and maybe more would take an interest in it. For example,Last Monday AF1 arrived and the terminal building practically came to a standstill as passengers and staff rushed to the windows to get a look at her. An AF 744 arrives with cargo every saturday yet barely gets noticed except by the spotters. Micro-organisms on other planets and Exoplanets don't grab the non-astronomy & space publics attention,but a video like that would. NASA should box clever if they want to keep the American public interested in what they do(and what their $$$$'s are spent on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

An AF 744 arrives with cargo every saturday yet barely gets noticed except by the spotters.

Sunday this week, 45 mins ago, for some reason, possibly US weather.

The traditional farewell ceremoney took place a few hours ago.
    Hatch's were closed at 12.23.
    Station crew are now down to three,we have seen during this mission the number onboard the ISS drop from 12 down to 9 now 3.
    at least delivered via the Space Shuttle we will never see more than ten on it ever again(final shuttle mission 135 will only have crew of four)

Some Stats;

hatch's between Endeavour were open for:10 Days~23 hours~45 minutes.
    Total Spacewalking time in construction of Station was: 1002~37 minutes=to 41 days and eight hours.
    on the fourth and final Spacewalk crew reported to mission control "Assembly of the ISS complete" after they had stowed the OBSS on it.
    (bit devilish of them as Russia plans to add a new module in a few years:))
    Monday mornings undocking will be another first!
    after undocking there will be the usual flyaround followed by a seperation burn and then another burn to Re-Rendezvous with station to a distance of six hundred feet.this will be to test out a new way to approach for dockings,its acronym is STORMM and stands for(read dis very carefuly i shall type dis only vunce!)

Sensor Test for Orion Relnav Risk Mitigation!:D
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25297.0;attach=300379;image
    Farewell Ceremoney
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25297.0;attach=300388;image

Group hugs!:)
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25297.0;attach=300431;image
    Sealed hatch from the ISS side:(

Sorry for some overlap with LL's post above,i had to answer phone half way through this post!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

I love how Mark Kelly spoke about tomorrow being Memorial Day, and how he also mentioned the troops currently serving.

eilejh wrote: »
    I love how Mark Kelly spoke about tomorrow being Memorial Day, and how he also mentioned the troops currently serving.

Hi eilejh,i agree with You and fitting that Memorial day is already here in Ireland,won't be quite Monday in Your time zone when Endeavour undocks.
    He got very Patriotic in his parting words but who could blame him?(We like to think that the Shuttle belongs to all of us!:))

Mike Leinbach got all Patriotic on launch day,but who could blame him?

NASA described the Hubble Space Telescope as "America's gift to the World" they were not wrong!,it surely is!!!!!.

need my Caffeine fix now just being a fool to myself again and set alarm to wake Me up for undocking:)
    hope to see you later!

Good Morning All and welcome to Boards.TV Coverage of the final undocking ever by Endeavour from the ISS.
    i get the Graveyard shift from Beeker and Lord Lucan all the time and looks like i will be Your PAO for this event,sorry about that i am in training to be Space-x's PAO.......... and well You get what You pay for!:pac:
    Endeavour has been given a "GO" for undocking due at 04.55.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=300522;image
    Stunning view of Endeavours payload bay now empty from ISS Camera's.
    as i am typing "GO" has also been given for fly-around!

@ 04.55 Shuttle undocked bang on time while flying over Bolivia.
    Ron Garan the only US Astronaut now on the Station rang the bell that said farewell to Endeavour,he is the only member of the ISS Crew who has been woken up throughout the mission at the same time as the crew of Shuttle,he will also be 50 years of age later this year,born in the year Mankind first entered Space.
    very poor live TV coverage again during this event.

@ 05.20 Pilot Greg Johnson began the flyaround,glad to see the pilot get to do a bit of flying! :)
    flyaround began at a distance of 400 feet from Station.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=300950;image

a brief view of station from Shuttle before signal was lost again.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=300973;image

Europe's ATV can be clearly seen here at top with its X factor,all the best imaging is being held back for STORMM test.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=301002;image

View of Endeavour from station before 134 switched its KU to Radar mode.

Finally some color pics of the flyaround from ISS,Shuttle at distance of 650 feet during these.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=301022;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=301030;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=301034;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=301060;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25315.0;attach=301040;image

The STORMM test is coming up but the HD Vid will not be available for viewing for some time yet i am hearing;
    in the meantime 150 Seconds of color from the flyaround of planet Earth:

Great work on the coverage Clln. Great bit of flying and now Endeavour is set for her final journey home.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

NASA TV currently showing re-play right now if anyone is up.....Wonderful coverage you did Clln!

Nice job clln. I missed the undocking due to being away but i knew you would keep the thread alive and up to date:)
    Landing planned for Wednesday morning, nice early start, Beeker planning a 6am start for that one:)

• Advertisement

-Trek- wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea how much longer we must wait to see the epic fly around photos. Suspense is starting to get to me :D
    Waiting for them myself. We have been promised that they will be released this week!:)

Advertisement