Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looks like the sting of a dying wasp...
    anyone not expecting much from the next album?

The clean, tightly sound controlled and somewhat sterile environment of a little talk show stage is never the best showcase for a heavy band. Technically, the performance is on par with most Metallica performances you'll see and hear these days, though so to cast any aspersions on the band from it is a bit unfair, IMO.

I'm not expecting a great deal from the new album, but that's mainly because we've been getting every indication that it'll be basically DM 'redux'. If you look at Metallica from '82 - '89 - '96 - '03, it's almost like 4 different bands. They're getting older now, and to an extent time can not be stopped but it's that they seem content to stay put, creatively, which I think is the biggest pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

'82-'89 Was Metallica at their best - First 4 albums show that.
    '90-'96 Starting to crack through into the mainstream, gaining popularity outside the underground scene (The Black Album)
    '96-'03 Seems to be THE MOST DESPISED PERIOD of the band's history
    '03-Present They seem content with what they've done, no rush with a new album, touring the hits, few deep cuts

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    '96-'03 Seems to be THE MOST DESPISED PERIOD of the band's history

The last three or so years, maybe, but Metallica were at the top of their game, live, in the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

briany wrote: »
    The last three or so years, maybe, but Metallica were at the top of their game, live, in the late 90s.

'97ish would be Metallica's peak as a live act imo. Reading being probably their finest hour, they flattened the place that year. After that the live shows began to lose that sense of relentless-ferocity that was the hallmark of the Metallica live experience.

But for the alcohol and the drugs I think they could have kept their game up into the early 00's. It was not to be. And by the time they sobered up - father time had already gotten his way.

• Advertisement

Fair amount of hostility in the comments section. It's one thing keeping the band in the public consciousness but there is such a thing as overkill. They almost seem to be locked in a battle with Dave Grohl to see who garner to most media exposure. But at least Grohl has an album to sell.

Yeah too much overkill, would be understandable if they were promoting a new album, but they ain't. You said it a few times, but maybe album #10 will be the last studio album we'll get from Metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah too much overkill, would be understandable if they were promoting a new album, but they ain't. You said it a few times, but maybe album #10 will be the last studio album we'll get from Metallica.

Definitely an overkill with the SF Giants thing. It was good and interesting the first time, less so the second but now they're just over staying their welcome. It really is something that really should be only done once. They're acting like the guy at the party who won't go home when you're trying to clear up and call it a night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Just been announced to headline Reading & leeds next year

Definitely an overkill with the SF Giants thing. It was good and interesting the first time, less so the second but now they're just over staying their welcome. It really is something that really should be only done once. They're acting like the guy at the party who won't go home when you're trying to clear up and call it a night.

But it's also probably a money making venture between Metallica & the SF Giants, that would be my thinking behind the band being brought back for a 3rd year.

• Advertisement

But it's also probably a money making venture between Metallica & the SF Giants, that would be my thinking behind the band being brought back for a 3rd year.

Yeah, there's probably money in it for them alright but it will reach the point of diminishing returns if they keep doing it. Novelty things all have a shelf life and I think this one reached it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Just been announced to headline Reading & leeds next year

It would be great to see them over here, wonder if they'll make the trip. Failing that, I might make the trip over, after the oversaturation of their gigs here a few years back I'm actually looking forward to a Metallica gig, even more so now that James has stopped the Metallica family thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

They've just announced more August dates in Norway, Sweden and two dates in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Yeah, there's probably money in it for them alright but it will reach the point of diminishing returns if they keep doing it. Novelty things all have a shelf life and I think this one reached it already.

Tbh I reckon the tie up works better for the SF Giants than Metallica. The band only have to turn up and bang out the anthem and throw a ball whilst the club get a few extra bums on seats from Metallica fans looking for a night out. It's a win win with absolutely no investment or time spent on it by the band and keeps their hometown love in front and centre.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Tbh I reckon the tie up works better for the SF Giants than Metallica. The band only have to turn up and bang out the anthem and throw a ball whilst the club get a few extra bums on seats from Metallica fans looking for a night out. It's a win win with absolutely no investment or time spent on it by the band and keeps their hometown love in front and centre.

No extra bums on seats needed for the Giants. They have one of the longest sell out streaks in baseball apparently. There are 81 home games a season in baseball and teams usually out on events or have special guests on at least a third of them

I just checked their events calendar for 2015 and as well as Metallica night, there's Hello Kitty night, an LGBT night, Boy Scout day as well as nights for every ethnic group you can think of. So they're in good company anyway.

Link not working but found the article on their website nonetheless. Great article and sums up the way most of us on here (except Briany?) see Metallica these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Curious thing earlier. I was reading this earlier
    http://www.nme.com/photos/20-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-metallica/122042/1/1?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=metallica

And this was one of the points was this:
    James Hetfield was admitted to rehab in July 2001 for alcohol and "other addictions", one of which was later revealed to be chocolate, accounting for the Metallica frontman's chunkier appearance around that time.
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/photos/20-things-you-probably-didn-t-know-about-metallica/122042/1/1#5gWr620dtbovyXkf.99

I had never heard the other addiction was chocolate before...

I just checked their events calendar for 2015 and as well as Metallica night, there's Hello Kitty night, an LGBT night, Boy Scout day as well as nights for every ethnic group you can think of. So they're in good company anyway.

Would love if they got their dates crossed and ended up playing on Hello Kitty night by mistake.:P

Edit: just done reading the metalhammer article linked above, never realised they made a 12 million loss on 'Through The Never'! Ouch.

http://www.nme.com/photos/20-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-metallica/122042/1/1?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=metallica

The fattest James Hetfield has ever looked was probably in the couple of years after DM dropped, so maybe the chocolate is one addiction he had a harder time dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That's f@&king hilarious lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Read the chocolate addiction thing before, would be mad if someone brought it up in an interview for the craic. Would love to know what he'd have to say about his fondness for chocolate, have heard plenty about his fondness for the gargle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Read the chocolate addiction thing before, would be mad if someone brought it up in an interview for the craic. Would love to know what he'd have to say about his fondness for chocolate, have heard plenty about his fondness for the gargle.

I reckon as soon as he steps into an interview, he or his rep tells the interviewer "For the love of god don't mention chocolate. Please!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

toblerone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

(To the tune of One)

Chocolate imprisoning me,
    All that I see,
    Look it's a Mars bar,
    I cannot live,
    I cannot diet,
    Trapped in the shop,
    Body demands Creme Eggs!!

In all seriousness though, I wish they'd just get on with the album, do a subsequent tour, and never mind this "European Vacation" nonsense. They've already done the full album tours for Puppets and The Black Album, a "By Request Tour", and I'm wondering what spin they'll put on this one.

(To the tune of One)

Chocolate imprisoning me,
    All that I see,
    Look it's a Mars bar,
    I cannot live,
    I cannot diet,
    Trapped in the shop,
    Body demands Creme Eggs!!

In all seriousness though, I wish they'd just get on with the album, do a subsequent tour, and never mind this "European Vacation" nonsense. They've already done the full album tours for Puppets and The Black Album, a "By Request Tour", and I'm wondering what spin they'll put on this one.
    Throw everyone off and only play the songs nobody requested? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Throw everyone off and only play the songs nobody requested? :P

I'd actually like to see that happen.

I'd actually like to see that happen.

We all would. Except for the money machine that is Metallica.

That being said, I probably will head over to Reading or Leeds to see them. Been nearly 5 years since I saw them last, in the mood for another fix. And with a festival friendly set, it will be a perfect way to introduce the o/h to Metallica.

I'm still waiting for them to do the 'Loads of Load' tour. Damn shame that they're trying to make like Load never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I'm just awaiting a Kickstarter campaign for "PLAY DYERS EVE LIVE AGAIN".

To be honest I'd sign up. I've been fortunate enough to catch Metallica live in Europe and the U.S. on various tours, hell I even started Seek and Destroy once, and I'm struggling to summon motivation to buy a ticket for next summer. Pretty much all of us here could predict the setlist.

I just want new music to make me excited about the band again. I love Metallica, I always will, but I just wish they'd stop with all the nonsense of these cash grab tours and make a feckin album. And not just new music, I want the set to change. Why not throw in some songs like Bleeding Me, King Nothing, Dyers Eve, Motorbreath, Of Wolf and Man etc? I saw them play Blitzkrieg in Berlin a few years back and I lost my mind, it sounded amazing! I know it's a cover, but still...

Advertisement